4.60 star(s) 308 Votes

NewTricks

Forum Fanatic
Nov 1, 2017
It's always amusing seeing reactions from professionals in the field that a work of fiction pulls from. There's a fantastic video of Dr. Becky reacting to the second episode of "The Expanse" where she's more focused on how the ships create artificial gravity rather than the plot of the story.

In general, it's always fun to theorize how something might be possible in a fictional world during a second or third reading. However a story is way more enjoyable when I focus solely on the plot the first time around.
I agree in most cases, but when I saw the moon attacking the earth in Moonfall I couldn't help but shout "Yeah! Take that, laws of physics!"

Sancho1969

Message Maven
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
Something wicked this way comes....

SanchoMod proudly presents:
Chasing Sunsets - MultiMod Edition
View attachment 1704575

Go get you some.

Please enjoy. Mod core is updated to v5f with even more features. I hope you find at least one feature beneficial to your experience. Remember absolutely everything can be toggled on/off as desired and on the fly. Complete information and exhaustive previews can be found on the mod's thread (simply click the banner above). Regards and be well.

- Sancho

Temporary Note: Link pending moderator approval, please be patient. Link is now live.
Good evening.

Update (non-critical): Updated mod to latest SanchoMod core python, adding dialogue box toggle for OEM/Sancho, various GUI tweaks and polish. See mod thread for info and updated FAQ. The update is aesthetic only and considered non-critical therefore it is not a mandatory update but many features are improved. Regards.

Reactions: haooni

DampAnkles

Mar 18, 2018
The teaser at the end of chapter 4 revealed that Mallory had a 99% match with Sarah's DNA.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
The story seems to be centering around the advanced uses of CRISPR in completely cloning a person. However some issues arise such as the lack of physical similarities and presence of complete heterochromia indicate that a 99.97% match is impossible. The inclusion of the comment by the Kaili about the similarities between Mallory and Sarah was meant to support the reveal that Mallory is most likely a product of cloning (or extensive genetic modification), but the physical differences are impossible if that's the case.

The mental aspect is a bit more nuanced. Mallory might share similar personality traits to Sarah, but her identity (the euphemisms, humor, etc.) is shaped by the environment she grew up in. It's evident that both Mallory and Sarah are strikingly similar in their personalities (both are empathetic and charitable). I think the truth behind what Mallory really is, whether she's a clone or Sarah's sister, is a lot more complex than what the story has revealed to us so far.

Alternatively, we all could be applying way too much science to a work of fiction (which is probably the most likely thing happening). In the end the underlying genetic identity of Mallory is a plot device to add intrigue to the story rather than being the center of the story. Our main concern as the MC is trying to prove we can fill the shoes of our parents and have a "happy" ending (or a sad ending if you like being a monster).
I didn't see any of this on my playthrough. I only saw the dinner conversation where Mallory spoke of DNA results, and stated that she thought she was Sarah's sister. Maybe a clone? Lab babies? Fiction for sure.

Ottoeight

Forum Fanatic
Mar 13, 2021
Guys as a computer person I want to share this simple "trick" hacker movies taught me. Whenever a fictional character explain something from your area of expertise, replace that explanation with "blabla" or "magic" and you'll suddenly be able to enjoy whatever you're reading.

Oh, that guy just said "dark web"? Let me just turn off my brain for a minute. It works quite well.
A good writer should know that characters shouldn't explain anything or preach sermons.

We don't need/want to read a novel or watch a movie to learn science/history/geography/philosophy/whatever and if we feel the need of a sermon we have our priests.

Anyway, I don't feel this is the case of Chasing Sunsets.

gam2000

Apr 12, 2021
A good writer should know that characters shouldn't explain anything or preach sermons.

We don't need/want to read a novel or watch a movie to learn science/history/geography/philosophy/whatever and if we feel the need of a sermon we have our priests.

Anyway, I don't feel this is the case of Chasing Sunsets.
Well, Hollywood and the TV networks don't mind preaching and trying to convert us. Why should writers be any different?

Razrback16

Jul 20, 2020
Just a friendly heads up, my OS flagged the Raycaty core .exe as having a virus - win32 uwamson.a ml
It only detected it once the game was unzipped, so just a heads up. Mega version seems fine.

D2K

Donor
Aug 18, 2016
just finished it the game, and i really liked it except the whole christian thing. i feel like they made him gay (asexual?) just to protect the readers' ego. i'm guessing she wasn't raped? so what's up with the rhythmic thumping, into faster rhythmic thumping? if they were only "friends" why did she not show up to the state game? in the text chain between them it clearly seems like more. it feels a but like a cheap retcon after it gets the readers emotions up.

and honestly the cloning thing, there were definitely so many clues. age discrepancy wouldn't make sense as an aunt, and how the devon treated her as a failure. overall, the story is still fun and engaging with the dialogue.

Penfold Mole

Engaged Member
Respected User
May 22, 2017
Just a friendly heads up, my OS flagged the Raycaty core .exe as having a virus - win32 uwamson.a ml
It only detected it once the game was unzipped, so just a heads up. Mega version seems fine.
Should have downloaded the game zip file, not some exe shit that some free file hosting sites try to feed to the naive.
Those exe files are never-ever safe. Use a good ad blocker when you open such a site and look and read carefully where you click.
And cancel download if the file is an executable when it was supposed to be an archive or something else non-executable.

MEGA with its MEGAsync app is somewhat different because it's not exactly a free file hosting site but a cloud storage instead.

Last edited:

Razrback16

Jul 20, 2020
Should have downloaded the game zip file, not some exe shit that some free file hosting sites try to feed to the naive.
Those exe files are never-ever safe. Use a good ad blocker when you open such a site and look and read carefully where you click.
And cancel download if the file is an executable when it was supposed to be an archive or something else non-executable.

MEGA with its MEGAsync app is somewhat different because it's not exactly a free file hosting site but a cloud storage instead.
It's the normal game zip, they clearly have pulled and replaced the .exe with some malware slipped into it.

Penfold Mole

Engaged Member
Respected User
May 22, 2017
It's the normal game zip, they clearly have pulled and replaced the .exe with some malware slipped into it.
Not likely.
There is no such file as core.exe in RenPy. Core.py, core.pyo, core.pyc, yes. Core.exe only in case the game launcher is named like that, but in this game it's not.

Also, all game uploads are checked by the dedicated uploaders. Exactly the same file gets uploaded on all the file hosts you can find in the OP. So if that would be the case, the file had to be repacked by the file host.
And file hosts generally do not repack uploaded files. Besides, the file is 4GB in size, no one would repack files this size automatically to spread malware. Makes zero sense.

However, this could be just another simple case of Windows Defender false flagging Ren'Py game files. Although it couldn't have been a core.exe file in that case, since there is no such file.

Razrback16

Jul 20, 2020
Not likely.
There is no such file as core.exe in RenPy. Core.py, core.pyo, core.pyc, yes. Core.exe only in case the game launcher is named like that, but in this game it's not.

Also, all game uploads are checked by the dedicated uploaders. Exactly the same file gets uploaded on all the file hosts you can find in the OP. So if that would be the case, the file had to be repacked by the file host.
And file hosts generally do not repack uploaded files. Besides, the file is 4GB in size, no one would repack files this size automatically to spread malware. Makes zero sense.

However, this could be just another simple case of Windows Defender false flagging Ren'Py game files. Although it couldn't have been a core.exe file in that case, since there is no such file.
The filename infected was "chasing sunsets.exe". When I said it was game's core exe I meant it was the core executable file for the game. Sorry if the wording there threw things off.

Ultimately I got a clean installer from the Mega link, but just wanted to let folks know that I had that experience with the copy on Raycaty to maybe help someone avoid getting their system infected - could always be a Windows Defender false flag, also, but either way, just trying to look out for fellow gamers.

NewTricks

Forum Fanatic
Nov 1, 2017
I wouldn't rely on windows defender. While it is updated fairly frequently it is rarely upgraded. Nearly everybody working at Microsoft who isn't an executive or an immigrant held hostage with a work visa is a hire from a temp agency who is looking for a better job because they never get hired on permanently. So few shits are given. It isn't surprising that it sometimes thinks Renpy exe files are viruses.

Razrback16

Jul 20, 2020
I wouldn't rely on windows defender. While it is updated fairly frequently it is rarely upgraded. Nearly everybody working at Microsoft who isn't an executive or an immigrant held hostage with a work visa is a hire from a temp agency who is looking for a better job because they never get hired on permanently. So few shits are given. It isn't surprising that it sometimes thinks Renpy exe files are viruses.
Ya I found it alarming in this instance as I've installed so many Ren'Py games over the last couple of years, and this is the first time I ever had one of the files get flagged. And I think it was a week or two back another member had mentioned coming across an infected file at one of the other file hosters (for a different game) so as soon as I saw that flag, I blew away the .zip that was downloaded and all decompressed files and then downloaded from another source.

I usually aim for torrents from places like RPDL but this one was struggling to find seeders last night so that's what led me to trying the fixed download sources for a change.

Ottoeight

Forum Fanatic
Mar 13, 2021
I have to say that Ren'py games' .exes are often quarantined by my Avast antivirus.

DampAnkles

Mar 18, 2018
rig
Right?!! Immigrant visa software engineers and temp agency software engineers.

Journey95

Jun 23, 2018
Hope the next update comes out soon, love Jaye. She is a memorable character. At first she was kind of annoying but I warmed up to her quickly and I like the build up so far with her and the MC (doesn't feel dragged out and instead gets you invested in their relationship).

Reactions: QBaSS

NewTricks

Forum Fanatic
Nov 1, 2017
Hope the next update comes out soon, love Jaye. She is a memorable character. At first she was kind of annoying but I warmed up to her quickly and I like the build up so far with her and the MC (doesn't feel dragged out and instead gets you invested in their relationship).
I don't know. I kinda loved Jaye from the start and only started to get frustrated with her about at the halfway point. When she was a little girl telling her sleeping brother that she already loved him, cute as hell. Beating the shit out of him at the grad party? Hot as hell. About the point when there was the kerfuffle with her cell phone having blocked his number... dumb as hell. That introduces a swiss cheese of plot holes but I'm screaming "Woman how are you gonna run a company when you can't even figure out your own phone?!"

4.60 star(s) 308 Votes