4.60 star(s) 308 Votes

notakernelguy

Jan 10, 2021
How about we drop the idea that the Devs need a pirate site for advertising. They don't. Each of these developers put in a lot of work into their own advertising on a number of different legit platforms. Our discussions here predominantly spread the word to others who would pirate the game as well, so it doesn't really turn in as many donations as you think it does.

The Devs who participate on these forums are cool enough to tolerate us as an inevitability, but don't forget that a significant portion of Devs don't even want to talk about sites like this. And if you ask any one of them - F95 participants or not - they'd prefer that their work wasn't pirated at all. So let's not act like we're doing any favors for the Devs, because we're not.

If Devs are willing to come here and talk about their game with us, then the least we can do is show a little respect. If they ask us not to post direct links to their Patreon downloads on these forums, then do what they ask and don't turn around and repost it a few days later. Don't argue, don't get sassy, don't disrespect.
Any examples of AVNs which became popular without F95/other pirate resources?
Nothing comes to my mind, to be honest. That's just the way things are. AVN genre isn't mainstream.

Any dev here knows he has to put up with loading his project here.
And when they hit big buck, they simply stop communicating here or even try to fight the thing that helped them in the first place.

Sancho1969

Message Maven
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
SanchoMod Update (v0.07a - non-Steam)

Go get you some.

Links in the mod's OP and the FAQ post directly under the mod's OP are updated accordingly.

Change log:
  • Updated to latest mod Core code
  • Updated to latest version of non-Steam VN
Regards.

Sancho1969

Message Maven
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
thats because F95zone have disabled analytics.
The day you first thought you could beat google at its own game is the first day you started to fail with this concept. Don't ever think that any singular site will be in advance of Bezos for more than but a brief moment of time. Just sayin'... google's got your number... all of them in fact. Hiding from that is like playing hide-and-seek in a 5x5 empty room meaning it's all but futile. But of course you're free to believe whatever it is you wish... google would prefer it that way anyhow. Good luck.

DirtyMario

Jumping bitches since '85
Donor
Jul 19, 2017
Any examples of AVNs which became popular without F95/other pirate resources?
Nothing comes to my mind, to be honest. That's just the way things are. AVN genre isn't mainstream.
First problem here would be how would someone prove that something doesn't exist? People try it with aliens, god and cockroaches in their walls, it doesn't work.
Almost all adult games in existence end up on this site so how do you prove that they would do worse otherwise? There's no control group. However we DO know that all other forms of media very clearly dislike piracy. In all likelihood corporations have spent massive amounts of money to have smarter people analyze if it's positive or negative from a business standpoint. There seems to be a very clear cut answer.
It's just that AVN developers know it's not financially or mentally feasible to fight legal battles over this so they roll over and take it. Some of them remain friendly as some outside feedback can be valuable. Doesn't mean they love having their labor of love taken and freely distributed.

I personally think it was a rushed decision to post direct dev links here. Likely for clout, being the first to do it. Though I can't know that. As long as I've been here, dev links are considered bad practice and I'm almost sure Walter Victor knows that and it just slipped his mind in the heat of the moment.

Zerek244

Aug 30, 2020
How about we drop the idea that the Devs need a pirate site for advertising. They don't. Each of these developers put in a lot of work into their own advertising on a number of different legit platforms. Our discussions here predominantly spread the word to others who would pirate the game as well, so it doesn't really turn in as many donations as you think it does.

The Devs who participate on these forums are cool enough to tolerate us as an inevitability, but don't forget that a significant portion of Devs don't even want to talk about sites like this. And if you ask any one of them - F95 participants or not - they'd prefer that their work wasn't pirated at all. So let's not act like we're doing any favors for the Devs, because we're not.

If Devs are willing to come here and talk about their game with us, then the least we can do is show a little respect. If they ask us not to post the Dev's own direct download links on these forums, then do what they ask. Don't argue, don't get sassy, don't disrespect. Most importantly, don't post it again right after they already asked you not to.
The devs themselves were SUPER active on THIS "pirate" site for prologue, 0.1 and 0.2. They are still engaging people on this forum because of the fact that this site is where they formed their support.

Francis Blast

Feb 2, 2018
The devs themselves were SUPER active on THIS "pirate" site for prologue, 0.1 and 0.2. They are still engaging people on this forum because of the fact that this site is where they formed their support.
They're not engaging anymore as they have left. I think that says a lot.
Some of f95 users are supporters. That's a fact that has never been denied. However, there is no proof that the majority of the support, for any game, comes from this place.
An unprovable argument is unreceivable.

Sancho1969

Message Maven
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
Y'all please don't let this become a dumpster fire... please. Stone Fox Studios and company have always been active and more supportive in this thread than many devs, so how about we quit shitting on him and give credit where it's due... imo of course.

Bottom line: Walter Victor did not follow this sites protocol etiquette for supply submission, it's to be done via the "Report/Game Update" function in the OP. At this point he's now certainly aware of this so let's move on. It's not only water under the bridge at this point but the dead horse has been beaten to an absolute pulp.

No one's perfect. We all fuck up at some point. Good folks learn from it and are better for it. Others constantly picking a festering wound will never allow it to heal. Just my two pesos which doesn't matter anyway. At least the dev and team have been honestly attempting to embrace their product being on the site which is far more than many other devs tbh, but they certainly have a point to be pissed... shitting on them twice is once too much. Again, imho which is irrelevant but I'm saying it anyway.

Regards.

Elhemeer

Forum Fanatic
Jun 20, 2022
In a matter of one week, this forum went from an enjoyable, engaging zone that was frequented by the devs regardless of how they felt about the piracy site, to a toxic back-and-forth about pirate entitlement, all because one person decided to not do things the established way ... twice ... so they could be first -- even after they were politely asked to not do so.

All those ranting "at" the devs clearly don't understand how notifications work. I will be pleasantly surprised if we ever see any posts from them here again, but I won't be holding my breath.

Thanks. #sarcasm

Primarch Dorn

Jan 13, 2022
In a matter of one week, this forum went from an enjoyable, engaging zone that was frequented by the devs regardless of how they felt about the piracy site, to a toxic back-and-forth about pirate entitlement, all because one person decided to not do things the established way ... twice ... so they could be first -- even after they were politely asked to not do so.

All those ranting "at" the devs clearly don't understand how notifications work. I will be pleasantly surprised if we ever see any posts from them here again, but I won't be holding my breath.

Thanks. #sarcasm
Stoya will not be returning to F95

• Sad
Reactions: Elhemeer

botc76

The Crawling Chaos, Bringer of Strange Joy
Donor
Oct 23, 2016

If Devs are willing to come here and talk about their game with us, then the least we can do is show a little respect. If they ask us not to post the Dev's own direct download links on these forums, then do what they ask. Don't argue, don't get sassy, don't disrespect. Most importantly, don't post it again right after they already asked you not to.
Dude, you so obviously have no clue what you are talking about.
You want to know where the big, successful games started? They fucking started here. You want to know why so many devs put their game up here, before they do it anywhere else, because that's the fucking place to do it. You know how many games were started by members of this site, mind you, people who were members BEFORE they started their games? Dozens at least, if not hundreds, by now.
I've been with the site here basically since it started, back when kickasstorrents went down, I've seen people like CheekyGimp, Philygames, Perverteer and yes, Dr. Pinkcake post their games here and engage with the community and so many out of all these devs STILL post here, still engage with their fans here. They find team members and play testers here.
Yes, there are also many idiots and yes, once a game has become popular, there might be enough other sources of supporters so that many devs don't give a fuck anymore, but those who are honest, at least know where they started out and what helped made them big.

Devs don't allow their games to be posted here, because they can't fight piracy, they know there is no place like this anywhere else.

I respect Stonefox and his work, but claiming referrals through the last few months show that F95zone doesn't bring in any supporters, that's not really convincing to me.

Yes, google is good at tracking referrals, but many of us do everything exactly NOT to be tracked by their cookies, the referrals through the last few months, also don't show initial support, they don't show where people learned about the game. Sure, people hit social media and homepages by the devs, but how many of them do so, after finding the game here initially?

No, even if Chasing Sunsets doesn't get many new patrons from here now, that doesn't account for those who experienced the first few versions here and then decided to support, back when the game started, it doesn't account for how many people wouldn't have known about the game in the first place if not for here.

Honestly, the whole genre of Western VNs with rendered art instead of drawings would never have taken off like this, if not for f95zone. You think it is a coincidence, that with a few exceptions this genre exploded AFTER these boards here were created? I assure you, it is not.
People come here to look for new games, they don't hunt social media or even places like itch.o. They do it here by the millions.
Yes, this is a pirate site, but this is also the go-to source for this type of games, it's the largest community of people playing these games, it is a place for creators to meet each other and start their projects.

Honestly, devs who think their success has nothing to do with these forums, haven't really thought it through or just don't want to accept it.

Last edited:

CrazyRabbit

Engaged Member
Oct 30, 2019
And another nice dev driven away by entitled cry-babies... and said cry-babies adamant in their "iT's A pIrAtE sItE, bE gLaD FoR tHe ExPoSuRe aNd LeT Us PiRaTe AwAy eVeN ThOuGh yOU wEre aCCepTiNg Of ThE pIrAtInG" attitude.

Here's a guideline :
1) Thou shall be nice to the dev wether they tolerate the pirating or not
2) Thou shall not post the direct download links (especially if said dev is willing to have his game posted here)
3) Thou shall not post the game on the day of patreon release and wait some time (wether there's a public release or not) as to not damage the dev's business
4) Thou shall not bitch-crying if thou art unable to understand the 4 previous rules and get called out on it.

Welcome on a dev-less thread.

Francis Blast

Feb 2, 2018
Dude, you so obviously have no clue what you are talking about.
You want to know where the big, successful games started? They fucking started here. You want to know why so many devs put their game up here, before they do it anywhere else, because that's the fucking place to do it. You know how many games were started by members of this site, mind you, people who were members BEFORE they started their games? Dozens at least, if not hundreds, by now.
I've been with the site here basically since it started, back when kickasstorrents went down, I've seen people like CheekyGimp, Philygames, Perverteer and yes, Dr. Pinkcake post their games here and engage with the community and so many out of all these devs STILL post here, still engage with their fans here. They find team members and play testers here.
Yes, there are also many idiots and yes, once a game has become popular, there might be enough other sources of supporters so that many devs don't give a fuck anymore, but those who are honest, at least know where they started out and what helped made them big.

Devs don't allow their games to be posted here, because they can't fight piracy, they know there is no place like this anywhere else.

I respect Stonefox and his work, but claiming referrals through the last few months show that F95zone doesn't bring in any supporters, that's not really convincing to me.

Yes, google is good at tracking referrals, but many of us do everything exactly NOT to be tracked by their cookies, the referrals through the last few months, also don't show initial support, they don't show where people learned about the game. Sure, people hit social media and homepages by the devs, but how many of them do so, after finding the game here initially?

No, even if Chasing Sunsets doesn't get many new patrons from here now, that doesn't account for those who experienced the first few versions here and then decided to support, back when the game started, it doesn't account for how many people wouldn't have known about the game in the first place if not for here.

Honestly, the whole genre of Western VNs with rendered art instead of drawings would never have taken off like this, if not for f95zone. You think it is a coincidence, that with a few exceptions this genre exploded AFTER these boards here were created? I assure you, it is not.
People come here to look for new games, they don't hunt social media or even places like itch.o. They do it here by the millions.
Yes, this is a pirate site, but this is also the go-to source for this type of games, it's the largest community of people playing these games, it is a place for creators to meet each other and start their projects.

Honestly, devs who think their success has nothing to do with these forums, haven't really thought it through or just don't want to accept it.
As always with that virtous pirate argument : proof or it's utter crap.

Smarmint

Mar 23, 2019
Devs don't generally hang around F95 for charity. They have plenty of other things to do to actually develop their game, respond to comments on their Patreon, and interact with fans on their paid Discord channel, as a subscriber benefit. There are a few exceptions that seem to really enjoy the community here, Killer9, Recreation, a few others. But most are here primarily for publicity. Which is fine. It's a win-win between the devs and the fans here.

Devs interact with the fans on F95 because they want to build goodwill and support for their games to get new subscribers. The whole argument about what "rules" are needed to keep devs happy misses the point.

Apparently, when a game gets big enough, like Chasing Sunsets, the devs feel they don't need F95 anymore, and they can just be happy with the subscribers they have, and word of mouth. Fine.

But lets not pretend that successful games don't start here for the most part. Itch.io is mostly flash games and simple anime adaptions. It is not focused on the AVN content like F95. And Patreon or other sites don't emphasize it either.

There are rare exceptions like Wild Life which get huge support from social media (who knows why, it's terrible). But small games from small developers like Chasing Sunsets, when it started, rely on F95.

The devs got bothered that people were posting direct links to their game, I get it. But it is more a philosophical argument than actual harm. I can't imagine that their game was kicked off Mega because too many F95 users got the update from there, rather than from their Patreon. It is a spurious argument.

Basically, the devs no longer need to be here, because Chasing Sunsets is a huge success, mostly due to initial publicity on F95, and they decided they don't need to deal with the fans anymore, except those that are uniformily positive on their Patreon and Discord.

Jericho85

Apr 25, 2022
Funny thing about these arguments is that they distinctly ignore the fact that these developers are out there on much bigger platforms like Twitter and Reddit promoting the crap out of their games. Talented Devs get a lot of promotion on those platforms and they put in a considerable amount of ground work in promoting their games there. They also do a lot of networking and cross-promotion for other devs in the business too.

So devs don't truly need us for promotion and they certainly don't owe us anything. We are, for the most part, a nonpaying audience. The devs that come here tolerate us and they do it because some of them believe that any feedback is good feedback, even from a non-paying audience. That or they like to engage with the fans. Either way, their participation shouldn't be misconstrued as consent of piracy, and each and every one of them would much rather we actually paid for their work instead of pirating it.

So I think people where are saying Devs need F95 are vastly overstating their impact. They're giving the site, and themselves, a little too much credit when that credit is 100% owed to the devs for making hit AVNs worth talking about. Devs tolerate us, but we do jackshit nothing for them if we're not paying. And it should be quite telling that many devs drop this place like a bad habit when people in the F95 community start openly disrespecting them and acting like they're entitled to shit... Much like has happened in the past several pages here.

Last edited:
4.60 star(s) 308 Votes