Unity Abandoned Chronicles of Forgotten Tears [Steam] [Old Owl]

4.20 star(s) 6 Votes

mikey36

Jan 10, 2021
View attachment 2041327

Overview:
Chronicles of Forgotten Tears, narrates the events that unfold in a fantasy world populated by humans, elves, dwarves, orcs and many other magical creatures, where wizards from their towers plot to overthrow kingdoms and arch-clerics march to flush out evil in every corner of the lands of Vaegoth.
You are a young peasant. You live in a remote region of a vast kingdom on an ancient farm run by your mother.
Everything goes on as usual when your life is turned upside down by a terrible event. You decide to set out on a long journey in search of your origins.
Your father, in fact, was the powerful wizard Welling, who was murdered under mysterious circumstances.
The Chronicles of Forgotten Tears is an adventure that takes place in different places and times, MC will get to know dozens of characters, all with their own history and backgrounds.
You will have to make important decisions in order to achieve your goals. Nothing is already written; every choice will change the story significantly.
You will have to fight, and you will be able to do so thanks to a sophisticated card game.
But most of all, you will have to interact with the many girls you will meet in your adventures, woo them and, if you are up to their standards (or if they are up to yours), you will be able to live a story with them.​

Thread Updated: 2022-09-13
Release Date: 2022-09-05
Developer: Old Owl
Censored: No
Version: 0.1.0
Genre:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Installation:

Changelog:

Girls:
View attachment 2041327

Overview:
Chronicles of Forgotten Tears, narrates the events that unfold in a fantasy world populated by humans, elves, dwarves, orcs and many other magical creatures, where wizards from their towers plot to overthrow kingdoms and arch-clerics march to flush out evil in every corner of the lands of Vaegoth.
You are a young peasant. You live in a remote region of a vast kingdom on an ancient farm run by your mother.
Everything goes on as usual when your life is turned upside down by a terrible event. You decide to set out on a long journey in search of your origins.
Your father, in fact, was the powerful wizard Welling, who was murdered under mysterious circumstances.
The Chronicles of Forgotten Tears is an adventure that takes place in different places and times, MC will get to know dozens of characters, all with their own history and backgrounds.
You will have to make important decisions in order to achieve your goals. Nothing is already written; every choice will change the story significantly.
You will have to fight, and you will be able to do so thanks to a sophisticated card game.
But most of all, you will have to interact with the many girls you will meet in your adventures, woo them and, if you are up to their standards (or if they are up to yours), you will be able to live a story with them.​

Thread Updated: 2022-09-13
Release Date: 2022-09-05
Developer: Old Owl
Censored: No
Version: 0.1.0
Genre:

Installation:

Changelog:

Girls:
Download is broken and game in unplayable...

Reactions: Husanga

FlinPaltwell

Game Developer
Jan 11, 2021
Haha, heavy Slay the Spire vibes from the combat (great game).
Looks promising! Good luck, dev!

trumpthatbitch

Jun 23, 2017
Not much in the way of content. Card combat also is not the best as of now there are no character stats just a card minigame for combat

Also the screenshots include indicate there is a ton of content the game itself is 2GB but ends on the first sex scene after punching the dude in face. Is this intended. It would be nice if the screenshots actually reflected the content in game.

trumpthatbitch

Jun 23, 2017
It's 5GB uncompressed. The content is maybe 10 minutes. What is there is alright but isn't altogether interesting.

Just seems strange to put it out in the current state. One of the most jaring things to me is the characters talking about things the MC has seen but never flashing back to it because the PLAYER hasn't seen it.

As an example
= Things like the players father they literally talk about him but you have no idea what he looks like.

= The mother is supposed to be an ex kickass mage but you never see as one all you see is a shiveled up old woman and the mc describing what she used to be.

= You do get a singular flashback and that is with the MC cucking some random npc with some girl that was met in passing. The most important characters in his life though nothing.

The description described a story with elves, dwarves, etc. Yet the intro itself is lacking even these basic details so lets just say I don't hold much hope on the fantasy aspect of the strory having any depth to it. Talking about fantasy most fantasy games are rpg. This one isn't it's cards. No stats of yet just cards. Nothing is really explained either. All you do is spam kicks and punches and if you feel like wasting a hour to receive the least dmg possible parry and punches plus the occasional heal the reason it probably wasn't explained is there is really no skill involved.

I mean the dev sort of has to decide what he wants to do. If he wants to write a story about elves, dwarves, dragons, etc then he is going to have to put more effort into the story and backstory people grade fantasy games on a curve they expect these things walking into a game. If he doesn't then he can probably get away with writing a non-fantasy type game in a modern setting with a shallow story and good renders while still making a ton of money.

Reactions: Moblivion

Kadajko

Oct 28, 2021
This is just my personal opinion, but stating out the game with saying that the protagonist had an affair with someones gf makes me lose all simpathy for the protagonist instantly, from that point onward for me there is no choice to roleplay him as anything other than an asshole that he was already confirmed to be and closes of the posibility of any meaningful romance. Like I don't even care about the fact that the mother of this asshole is dying anymore, I literally restarted the game straight away and chose to be mean to the horse intead of being nice because that seemed out of character.

Oct 17, 2020
Initial release review thus far:

Positives:
- The renders look good.
- The premise of the game is kinda cool in a way, well, so far, at least.
- I love magic kinda games, and it's SO fucking hard finding any good ones, so this is officially on my watch list.

Negatives:
- It's rather big for, like, 5 to 10 min of story/gameplay.
- Unfortunately, it uses Unity and not Ren'Py, which kinda sucks ass in a way. (To me personally, not everyone, just sayin)
- The card battle/game thing.. yikes.. please please PLEASE include an option to skip it? Like, an auto win or something? Again, that's just personal, but some people like playing games for the story itself and not so much for the whole battle aspect.

TL;DR opinion:
So far it's alright, not the best, obvii, I mean, first release n all, but it's aight. I just wish it was Ren'Py instead of Unity, but nothing I can do about that haha.. The main thing I have is that I really hope the dev will eventually include, like, the auto win or skip button or something in the game, or enable you to turn off the card thing in the settings or whatever haha..

Other than that, I'm kinda excited to see where this goes. I'll deffo be keepin an eye on it though, that's for damn sure:cool:

Best of luck with the rest of it dev(y)

Reactions: MrBenny

OldSoldier

Sep 9, 2022
Hi

I am the developer of the game and I thank you for the comments that are constructive and that will allow me to correct the course where possible.

I will try to respond to everyone.

Will the game also be available for Mac ?
Yes. I am working on it on my mac book pro. I have some problems but I should be in the home stretch.

Will the game also be available for Android ?
I can do a test build but I have a feeling that the UI comes very small on phones. However, since so many people seem to be asking for it, I'll give it a try.

How come The build weighs 2giga ?
Inside the build is already a good portion of the images and videos (don't ask me to remove and put content because the work would be complex). I am proceeding fast with code and story development, so those contents will be used soon.

Images & Videos
  • Why are there images of things that are not in the build ? Because I wanted to give an idea of what would happen later and not just in the first 500 images.

• Why do the movies seem to be in low resolution? They are actually lower quality, to speed up the rendering time, I thought it would not be noticeable but since you pointed them out to me, I started redoing them at the same quality as the images.
The card game
  • Is not avoidable
    It should be possible to skip all the card game events except the first one (with choices in the story) I wanted at least the first one someone played it.

• Has few cards
    The idea is to have you earn different cards with each fight, gradually becoming more and more powerful.

• The first confrontation
    The enemy has too much life and lasts 2 hours. It's true, now I decrease it, after all it's just the tutorial part.

• I don't understand how it works
    Maybe you skipped the tutorial ? :) or alternatively the tutorial is not explained well ?
Why didn't I use renpy?
That's a good question. The main reason is to be able to include sandbox mechanics and the mini game of cards (on unity I found a plugin to start with and on renpy I would not be able to write the code that handles that part).

There doesn't seem to be much fantasy
In the early stages of the game MC will encounter few fantasy creatures (on the other hand he is in a city of humans).
In the course of his future adventures, he will get to meet everything that is part of the fantasy universe we all know.

Thank you again for your comments and observations.

Jonah Arkon

Sep 22, 2017
The rendering looks great, BUT.... Man, I really hate the card game (mini game), and the fact that there's no choice to skip / avoid the card game combat. Also, the use of Unity instead of Renpy means no community walk throughs or mods for this project. Unity is not a favorite engine choice among the community, but at least the roll back feature was enabled in this project (as it's normally disabled in other Unity projects).

I just hate that engine due to it's chunky controls and the heavy system resource needed to run it, unlike other projects that use the well liked Renpy format.

Best of luck in the future on this endeavor, I'll check back to see if the card game / mini games in this project will become optional instead of being forced.
very much agree with Mr Benny statement. Have removed the game, good luck and all. Liked the concept though and art work. Thanks for the share. But think I will pass for now.

Reactions: MrBenny

rahkshi01

Dec 31, 2018
So two questions. One are the tentacles avoidable? Two, will there be a harem route?

4.20 star(s) 6 Votes