PapaPhat

Engaged Member
Mar 31, 2022
Does this Developer have other games?
Welcome, my new friend. :)

Glad to see you have found what could be the finest AVN ever made here in City of Broken Dreamers. I am a fan of many fine games by many outstanding devs but Philly is the best of the best IMHO.

Some things you should know prior to diving into Depraved Awakening...

It is an older game that uses older assets in an older version of Ren'Py so while it is amazing for the time it was released... four years ago... the tech and Philly's skill sets have grown by leaps and bounds since the completion of Depraved Awakening. The animations are smoother in CoBD than those in DA as the later game uses more of an .mp4 style animation whereas the first game uses more of a .gif type format. Philly has greatly improved his animation and character rendering abilities over the years so you will see the difference between the two games.

Also, DA is a neo noir detective story, not a cyberpunk style sci-fi adventure. So, it is a different kind of story.

However, that being said, Depraved Awakening is an outstanding title full of drama, suspense, intrigue, action and yes... sexy good times!:devilish::devilish::devilish::devilish::devilish: I have played it several dozen times now while awaiting the latest updates to CoBD. I've been following CoBD since the early chapters.

There are multiple endings to DA and many different ways to play through this amazing tale. You will have the opportunity to romance all of the LI through this tightly twisted tale until you make your final choice of whom you want to keep for the ending. I am hard pressed to choose a favorite from Mi-Do, Carli or the joint ending with both Judy and Christine. There are some less than happy endings to be discovered as well, depending on your choices. I have officially uncovered ALL of the options in DA and all of the options given to date for CoBD. There are good walk throughs for both games but I prefer to find it all myself. I make a lot of saves then repeat gameplay from those saves at the choices to make alternate choices and see another path. Sometimes the alternate scene/path is revealed rather quickly. Other times the result of a choice is not known until the very end.

I highly recommend playing Depraved Awakening while we await the final two chapters of City of Broken Dreamers. Enjoy, my friend and...

Adventure ever on, Phat:devilish:(y)
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Jumbi

Feb 17, 2020
Your question got the job done, but wouldn't it have been easier if you'd described it as the song that has been playing in the main menu since the game was released almost 4 years ago? :oops:
That would have been the case if I had noticed that before I asked, but I realized that it is the song of the main menu and a pretty recurring theme during the gameplay (I guess we could call it the main theme of the soundtrack) just some moments ago. You see, I am currently playing three different VNs when I get some free time, so the amount of continuous time I spend with each one is quite brief at the moment. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Aristos

Fiufia

Jun 25, 2021
That would have been the case if I had noticed that before I asked, but I realized that it is the song of the main menu and a pretty recurring theme during the gameplay (I guess we could call it the main theme of the soundtrack) just some moments ago. You see, I am currently playing three different VNs when I get some free time, so the amount of continuous time I spend with each one is quite brief at the moment. :)
You can also extract the audio.rpa file and you have all the songs of the game in seconds;)

Aristos

Forum Fanatic
Dec 28, 2017
Leave the other two VN and *finish* this masterpiece first! :Kappa:

Sh0gvn

Dec 19, 2021
ch13sonjavic29.jpg

Happy New Year and Dev Update

We are back at it after visiting my Mom's which was pretty easy going and relaxing.

I started again mid this week and mainly just worked on some renders with some interesting setups like the one above and getting up to around 800 renders give or take.

And now I also want to wish you guys all a Happy New Year. I hope you guys can spend time with family and/or friends tonight. Part of me doesn't want to go out, but at the same time I know I will end up having fun and it is just good to celebrate it with people you care for. So, have fun and be responsible enough to get yourself home safely lol. Here is to the next year where I hope good things will happen for us all!

Now I will change up my final message just this once :p

Happy New Year all, and stay awesome!
Philly

ename144

Engaged Member
Sep 20, 2018

Hmmm. It sounds like Philly has added ~60 static renders in the last 3 weeks, an average of 20/week. Overall, that would bring his average to ~47 statics per week since Chapter 12 launched. No word on animations so presumably they're still at 41, but it's hard to be certain. Here are the charts:
If we go purely by the confirmed numbers, we're probably ~1 month away from completing art equivalent to a typical chapter, which probably gives us a mid-February release timeframe. Of course, there are a lot of unknowns here (from the current render rate to the size of the chapter), so I wouldn't put much stock in that guess. If we get solid numbers next week we should at least get a little more confidence in the current rate, but the size of the chapter is likely to remain unclear until Philly declares work nearly complete. We'll see what happens.

JValkonian

Nov 29, 2022
Welcome, my new friend. :)

Glad to see you have found what could be the finest AVN ever made here in City of Broken Dreamers. I am a fan of many fine games by many outstanding devs but Philly is the best of the best IMHO.

Some things you should know prior to diving into Depraved Awakening...

It is an older game that uses older assets in an older version of Ren'Py so while it is amazing for the time it was released... four years ago... the tech and Philly's skill sets have grown by leaps and bounds since the completion of Depraved Awakening. The animations are smoother in CoBD than those in DA as the later game uses more of an .mp4 style animation whereas the first game uses more of a .gif type format. Philly has greatly improved his animation and character rendering abilities over the years so you will see the difference between the two games.

Also, DA is a neo noir detective story, not a cyberpunk style sci-fi adventure. So, it is a different kind of story.

However, that being said, Depraved Awakening is an outstanding title full of drama, suspense, intrigue, action and yes... sexy good times!:devilish::devilish::devilish::devilish::devilish: I have played it several dozen times now while awaiting the latest updates to CoBD. I've been following CoBD since the early chapters.

There are multiple endings to DA and many different ways to play through this amazing tale. You will have the opportunity to romance all of the LI through this tightly twisted tale until you make your final choice of whom you want to keep for the ending. I am hard pressed to choose a favorite from Mi-Do, Carli or the joint ending with both Judy and Christine. There are some less than happy endings to be discovered as well, depending on your choices. I have officially uncovered ALL of the options in DA and all of the options given to date for CoBD. There are good walk throughs for both games but I prefer to find it all myself. I make a lot of saves then repeat gameplay from those saves at the choices to make alternate choices and see another path. Sometimes the alternate scene/path is revealed rather quickly. Other times the result of a choice is not known until the very end.

I highly recommend playing Depraved Awakening while we await the final two chapters of City of Broken Dreamers. Enjoy, my friend and...

Thank you, and to the previous replies as well. I finished DA and CoBD over the weekend. While both were great I found CoBD, for me, to be the better. I really enjoyed the story and music. Mad props to the dev for the image quality. One of the few VN where the characters seem real and authentic.

• Red Heart
Reactions: PapaPhat

PapaPhat

Engaged Member
Mar 31, 2022
Thank you, and to the previous replies as well. I finished DA and CoBD over the weekend. While both were great I found CoBD, for me, to be the better. I really enjoyed the story and music. Mad props to the dev for the image quality. One of the few VN where the characters seem real and authentic.
Glad to hear you enjoyed the experience, my friend. :)

As I said earlier, for the time it was released DA is an amazing game. I am hard pressed to think of any other older titles that have held up nearly as well. However, CoBD IS without a doubt a far superior title due to Philly's growing skill sets, fully custom renders and animations, sharp story sense and realism of character creation among other reasons.

I'm hard pressed to believe that you uncovered ALL of the scenes and paths in DA in a single weekend. If you go to the scene gallery, you will see a combination of blanks and question marks showing those places where you missed a twist or turn. Some will show a somewhat blurry image in black and white, others just a blank thumbnail with a question mark on it. There are 45 total animated scenes to uncover by making different choices in subsequent plays.

There is nothing saying that you must unlock all of the content if you prefer to play the path you chose and stop, that is fine. I'm not telling you that you must make additional plays to unlock everything. If that is not for you then I am glad you enjoyed the path you took. CoBD and DA are both the same in that respect... There are many paths from which to choose. Some folks prefer to choose one path, play that and be done. As for me, I must see it all.:devilish: If that makes me greedy for content... then I am gladly greedy for content!:devilish: Hahaha:ROFLMAO:

Again, as previously stated, I am glad to hear you enjoyed the experience. IMHO, Philly is the best of the best in AVN development, hands down, no holds barred... the best.

4.70 star(s) 422 Votes