Penfold Mole

Engaged Member
Respected User
May 22, 2017
Strange. Saves from the previous compressed version worked for me on this game, but I've been getting that error in a lot of other games in past couple weeks. From searching here, it seems people in a bunch of different games are as well. Wonder what happened.
That could possibly be something about your system and not the games, actually. Especially if it happens with many games.

What OS are you running these games on?
Do you have Python installed on your system?

Nevermind, I just got the same error trying to load an old save in the new version of "Little Sister".

It seems to have something to do with the Ren'Py SDK being downgraded for the new version of the game:
Version 0.1 of the game was built on Ren'Py 7.3.5.606 and I had 2 save files created there.
Starting the newly released version 0.3 of the same game and trying to load one of the old saves gave me the same error:
Code:
While running game code:
  File "renpy/common/00action_file.rpy", line 452, in __call__
    renpy.load(fn)
ImportError: No module named matrix
...and full traceback follows.

Since it reports about a missing module, I suspected that Ren'Py SDK may have been upgraded by some new buggy version, but what I actually discovered was that the new version of the game has been built on Ren'Py 7.1.3.1092. It means that Ren'Py has actually been downgraded and save files created by a newer version of Ren'Py can't be loaded because the older version is missing a module that exists in the newer one.

One way to play the new version of the game that has been built on a downgraded Ren'Py version is to start the game from the beginning.

The other one is to upgrade Ren'Py to the version that was used for the previous version of the game: copy folders "renpy" and "lib" from the older version of the game into the newer version and overwrite existing folders and files. Then these old saves that were actually created by a newer version of Ren'Py will work again without the missing module error.

In this case both the new version and the previous version of the Broken Dreamers have been built on the same Ren'Py 7.2.2.491. I'm guessing that the previous compressed version was upgraded to a newer version of Ren'Py by the person who compressed the game and now saves created there won't work with an older version of Ren'Py either in the uncompressed original game or in the new compressed game that hasn't been upgraded to the newer version of Ren'Py.

You should open log.txt file from the previous compressed version of the game and look at the Ren'Py version number. In case it's newer than 7.2.2.491, then I was right about the old compressed version running on a newer version of Ren'Py.
In that case you could copy "renpy" and "lib" folders from that old version into the new one to upgrade Ren'Py to the same version that created those save files.

Last edited:

Aristos

Forum Fanatic
Dec 28, 2017
casually going through the thread and was amazed by the no. of Chandra fans here:love::love:. I thought I was one of the rare ones who liked her but god damn there's many of us :cool:.
talking about Ch7, for me, it was worth the wait. The storyline keeps getting better and better (especially that final scene o_O, excited to see how that unfolds).
Animations/Renders - still the best here (as far as I know).
Fully deserves its second-best rating

for real :ROFLMAO:
If you're a Chandra fan you should check the fan-art thread ;)

Ragnar

Super User
Respected User
Aug 5, 2016
Strange. Saves from the previous compressed version worked for me on this game, but I've been getting that error in a lot of other games in past couple weeks. From searching here, it seems people in a bunch of different games are as well. Wonder what happened.
Well, It doesn't matter much here cause the game is pretty good, just played it from the beginning til the end of the update, but yeah, is happening with some other games too.

Mormont

Devoted Member
Nov 30, 2018
When can we expect the mac version to be updated?
download the pc one, copy the file "game" after unzip, then right click on the latest mac version you have, find the "game" file inside, paste and replace
Just download the pc version, unpack, copy the "Game" folder.
Then open the old mac version and drill down through resources and autorun until you see the "Game" folder. Delete it and paste from the pc version.

You're welcome ;)
These guys seem to have had a workaround has that been confirmed to work? You could always give it a try.

MrFriendly

Officially Dead Inside
Donor
Feb 23, 2020
And...since when are games supposed to be easy? I mean, how many times did you get squished trying to get that darn frog to cross the road?
That game is why my atari 2600 "suddenly" stopped working.

I don't see any game on this site as comparable to the aggravation that it and Pitfall gave me as a kid. LOL

This game is so good I'd consider buying a personalized drinking vessel if I had any money.

Hordragg

Lesser-Known Mesmer
Game Compressor
Donor
Apr 2, 2019
Because of this....I'm going to ask Philly for some sort of "Konami Code" next time. LOL
Was surprised to see that one quite cleverly implemented in another game. Did mix up the order of the last two inputs though. Guess I'm getting old. Or lazy. Nah, it's probably both.

Vis117

Sep 22, 2019
I can't seem to unlock the new Victoria scenes. I read the walkthrough. Have 6 points with her. Went in through the window and embraced in prior episodes. I don't get it. Any help?

4.80 star(s) 398 Votes