Godslayer21

Nov 13, 2020
For you Brazilians and Portuguese, Sunday (Domingo, a primeira feira, right?) is the first day of the week.
But for most of the world Sunday is the last day of every week.

I'm confused by Philly's message. What did he mean by last week and this week?
Does he mean that he intented to release the update during the last week of February but he didn't make it, and now he wants to release it today Saturday or tomorrow Sunday? That would technically be "this week." Anything from Monday onwards would be "next week."
In Brazil, the first day of week is Monday, for us, Sunday still part of the weekend... I don't know how it is in Portugal though

Machete

Engaged Member
Apr 7, 2020
In Brazil, the first day of week is Monday, for us, Sunday still part of the weekend... I don't know how it is in Portugal though
I though only in israel and muslim countries the week starts respectively from sunday and saturday

Aristos

Forum Fanatic
Dec 28, 2017
Well, AlienEDM is from Brazil too and he was talking about Sunday being the first day of the week.
In Portuguese, you call Monday "segunda-feira", literally second fair (second day), Tuesday terça-feira (third fair), and so on. So Sunday (Domingo) is literally the first day of the week.
That doesn't mean that you work on Sundays, it's still a holiday, but from the point of view of Portuguese language and tradition it is seen as the first day of the week, Saturday-Sunday is more of a weekend-weekstart :Kappa:

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2022
All this talk about when the week starts, this that and the other, semantics. Philly is in Canada so either way, expect it within the next few days if everything goes well, longer if it doesn't.

Reactions: xXwankerXx

Liolleren

Nov 10, 2018
Just now posted on Philly's Patreon

Unlocked

Just a Quick Update

Hey guys, strange week and it certainly had its impact on work. Regardless, past that, the new chapter is now in proofing and letting that happen. I have gone through it a few times and everything is looking good.

I originally thought last week I would release but that will be this week. Apologies for the wait, but it is on the final stage.
As always guys, stay awesome.

Philly
Time for 1000 renderings and 50 animations for 6 months nice milking! The only good thing is $$$

BisonFan02

Apr 2, 2018
For you Brazilians and Portuguese, Sunday (Domingo, a primeira feira, right?) is the first day of the week.
But for most of the world Sunday is the last day of every week.

I'm confused by Philly's message. What did he mean by last week and this week?
Does he mean that he intented to release the update during the last week of February but he didn't make it, and now he wants to release it today Saturday or tomorrow Sunday? That would technically be "this week." Anything from Monday onwards would be "next week."
He figured/wanted to be done by now. We're about a week behind...should make up ground quick though....probably have a beta tomorrow. I think most of it should be content testing (no new UI stuff....gallery updates with those check marks...etc). The only potential nagging part is the fact that we are getting to the heavier part for path branching. Lots of score checking and making sure scenes and basic paths are achievable....some are intentionally hard for a reason obviously.

With that said.....in before people that only do one playthrough and then use a gallery mod bitching about the lack of new content. LOL

AlienEDM

Oct 2, 2018
and making sure scenes and basic paths are achievable....some are intentionally hard for a reason obviously.
Well, since you've touched on this subject, and as you're a game tester, I'd like to talk with you about a specific dialogue in the game, which is impossible to achieve so far. I will explain:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
This dialog line is located in the "ch7meredith" file. The dialog line asks for "v_score >=4". The issue is, it is not possible to get 4 scores to get that line, because to reach the "ch7meredithsex" label(where this dialogue is located), it is required to the player have 3 scores or less.

See for yourself.

BisonFan02

Apr 2, 2018
Well, since you've touched on this subject, and as you're a game tester, I'd like to talk with you about a specific dialogue in the game, which is impossible to achieve so far. I will explain:
This dialog line is located in the "ch7meredith" file. The dialog line asks for "v_score >=4". The issue is, it is not possible to get 4 scores to get that line, because to reach the "ch7meredithsex" label(where this dialogue is located), it is required to the player have 3 scores or less.

See for yourself.
Noted. We'll check it out.

BisonFan02

Apr 2, 2018
Time for 1000 renderings and 50 animations for 6 months nice milking! The only good thing is $$$
I realize this is a troll post, but ill borrow it anyway.

Without naming games, you really can't compare amount of content between a game like Philly's versus games that use renders involving simple lighting...premade/basic facial expressions....and have no post work done to the art.

There is a reason very few even try to do fan art of this game.....it is a much higher degree of difficulty. The lighting...posing...effects and post work are not comparable with what's also out there.

One could make an argument for quantity over quality and where you draw the line. Some games will let things slide like hair clipping into objects...pre-made animations...etc....but Philly won't do that. Haha

BisonFan02

Apr 2, 2018
How many times i have explained it is not about money it is about dignity.But there is something you are right about,i expected too much from kids who hang in internet forums 7/24.I am leaving this shitty place that is full of cowards.One last lesson kids:Never talk shit about people if you are just gonna hide behind your internet personas.
Haven't lost your dignity in your rants yet? Bye Felicia.

Refund offer still stands....you know where to find me.

ename144

Engaged Member
Sep 20, 2018
Here's the development time for CoBD, along with the best static/animation counts I could get:
We can try to combine those numbers, but the static renders and animations are a bit of an apples and oranges problem. For simplicity, lets assume the animations are 25 fps and the average animation is 5 seconds long. If we then treat each static as a frame of animation, sum everything up and normalize by development day, we get the following chart:
This is obviously a very back-of-the-envelope approach, but it does suggest that the development rate has slowed down in the second half of the game, and Chapter 11 is well below the norm. Granted, Chapter 11 is less of an outlier if we knock off the time Philly was stuck in quarantine, but it's still the lowest to date and isn't technically over the hurdle yet.

None of this is to suggest Philly doesn't care. I think it's clear he works hard and cares a lot about the product. (I still support him myself). Moreover, I think it's natural that the development rate to decreases as the game progresses and the branching storylines diverge. I absolutely don't want this to come across as some sort of accusation.

But I do think it's worth admitting that development times are rising. Indeed, they're likely to up even further before we're done. We should be prepared to accept that.

And if I were to give Philly any advice, it would be to keep up his dev diaries. Even if he has nothing to report, he should still take the time to come and report the lack of progress. I know it's a pain to 'waste' time figuring how to convey the bad news when you're hip deep in fixing whatever's gone wrong, especially when you think you'll have it fixed momentarily. But it's still an important part of the business, and as we've just seen, sometimes things take longer than expected.

Granted, some people will use any such post as proof that he's begun shamelessly milking us all along, but running silent is just as likely to trigger that response. Most of us will take him at his word. Obviously we'd all prefer good news in perpetuity, but when bad news strikes it's better to hear it directly than be left inferring it ourselves. IMHO, obviously.

BisonFan02

Apr 2, 2018
Hmmm. It's an interesting question I was wondering about. Let's see what we can see.

Here's the development time for CoBD, along with the best static/animation counts I could get:
We can try to combine those numbers, but the static renders and animations are a bit of an apples and oranges problem. For simplicity, lets assume the animations are 25 fps and the average animation is 5 seconds long. If we then treat each static as a frame of animation, sum everything up and normalize by development day, we get the following chart:
This is obviously a very back-of-the-envelope approach, but it does suggest that the development rate has slowed down in the second half of the game, and Chapter 11 is well below the norm. Granted, Chapter 11 is less of an outlier if we knock off the time Philly was stuck in quarantine, but it's still the lowest to date and isn't technically over the hurdle yet.

None of this is to suggest Philly doesn't care. I think it's clear he works hard and cares a lot about the product. (I still support him myself). Moreover, I think it's natural that the development rate to decreases as the game progresses and the branching storylines diverge. I absolutely don't want this to come across as some sort of accusation.

But I do think it's worth admitting that development times are rising. Indeed, they're likely to up even further before we're done. We should be prepared to accept that.

And if I were to give Philly any advice, it would be to keep up his dev diaries. Even if he has nothing to report, he should still take the time to come and report the lack of progress. I know it's a pain to 'waste' time figuring how to convey the bad news when you're hip deep in fixing whatever's gone wrong, especially when you think you'll have it fixed momentarily. But it's still an important part of the business, and as we've just seen, sometimes things take longer than expected.

Granted, some people will use any such post as proof that he's begun shamelessly milking us all along, but running silent is just as likely to trigger that response. Most of us will take him at his word. Obviously we'd all prefer good news in perpetuity, but when bad news strikes it's better to hear it directly than be left inferring it ourselves. IMHO, obviously.
Soooooo......take out slightly a months amount of days from that "frames per day" for the latest chapter......and outside of ch7 to finish book 1 and get it on steam.....its a pretty flat line isn't it? Haha

BisonFan02

Apr 2, 2018
Also, the static renders are probably going to generate more dev time than individual animation frames or animations in general. This will be even more exaggerated of there are numerous scene environments and larger changes in character posing...lighting etc.

Since this keeps coming up....I guess more clarification and comparison is needed for development time.

I'm only going to use this as an example.....this is NOT a knock on the dev. Obviously people who support him like the product....no harm intended. It is just a different style and type of game.

Here's what you should do....go grab a game developed by Mr. Dots. Doesn't matter which one.

Then, open a scene and repeatedly hit the spacebar to advance the scenes and renders in rapid succession. Count the number of times you hit the spacebar and note the slight changes in character posing....the # of different facial expressions used....the lack of lighting/shadows....etc. In this case, it doesn't take long to hammer out hundreds of renders.

Again.....not a knock on the dev whatsoever. He has company when it comes to this. I'm only using it as a familiar example.

To reiterate the point.....not all render counts are created equal. Haha

Reactions: Dr. Average

ename144

Engaged Member
Sep 20, 2018
Soooooo......take out slightly a months amount of days from that "frames per day" for the latest chapter......and outside of ch7 to finish book 1 and get it on steam.....its a pretty flat line isn't it? Haha
It's not as big a change as you might expect, and it becomes more cyclical than straight. If we give a 28 day pass to Chapter 8 for the Steam launch and eliminate the 21 days Philly was stuck in quarantine, the chart looks like this:

Reactions: Razrback16

BisonFan02

Apr 2, 2018
It's not as big a change as you might expect, and it becomes more cyclical than straight. If we give a 28 day pass to Chapter 8 for the Steam launch and eliminate the 21 days Philly was stuck in quarantine, the chart looks like this:
It was over a month for quarantine in the US

4.70 star(s) 420 Votes