UncleVT

Låt den rätta komma in
Jul 2, 2017
ch13venus10.jpg

Dev Update #146
Alright, so as stated last week, renders and animations were not my focus this week. Still did a good deal of content but nothing crazy, it was more customs and writing. I also took it easy yesterday and today.
So, next week we will be back on all fronts. This update is basically 2 phases and the first is basically done on the render side, but still have writing that needs to be done for it, as well as what I call the connective tissue for it. The 2nd phase is smaller as a whole but will still take time which starts this week. There are going to be some really cool scenes that are swimming in my head and getting ready to come to life. Going to be fun!
Now I am horribly low on beer. By low I mean completely out :p
As always guys, stay awesome!
Philly

lipe2410

Forum Fanatic
Dec 23, 2018
View attachment 2164845

Dev Update #146
Alright, so as stated last week, renders and animations were not my focus this week. Still did a good deal of content but nothing crazy, it was more customs and writing. I also took it easy yesterday and today.
So, next week we will be back on all fronts. This update is basically 2 phases and the first is basically done on the render side, but still have writing that needs to be done for it, as well as what I call the connective tissue for it. The 2nd phase is smaller as a whole but will still take time which starts this week. There are going to be some really cool scenes that are swimming in my head and getting ready to come to life. Going to be fun!
Philly
Venus :love::love:

Reactions: Ghosty99

kep111

Jan 7, 2021
I'd seen this game going around for a while but I only just realised it is inspired by cyberpunk!

RC-1138 Boss

Message Maven
Apr 26, 2017
View attachment 2164845

Dev Update #146
Philly
Venus is sending you home dev, you are drunk. :LOL:

PapaPhat

Engaged Member
Mar 31, 2022
inspired by cyberpunk!
Not without a time machine, friend. This story began LONG before the CDPR game was ever even announced, at least well before I had ever heard of it. CoBD first breached this site early in 2019 if memory serves. I began following early on.

Also, cyberpunk is an entire genre of sci-fi story, not just a game title. The cyber punk genre has been around for quite a few decades now, even before Ridley Scott's original Blade Runner 1982 which was my introduction to the genre. Films like the Matrix franchise are also within the cyberpunk genre as are Robocop, 12 Monkeys, Total Recall, Videodrome, Minority Report, Escape from New York, Elysium, Judge Dredd, Spielberg's A.I. Artificial Intelligence and too many others to list them all. Cyberpunk 2077 is just a small drop in the sea of precursors that came before it, like City of Broken Dreamers.
I hope this helps, friend. Thanks to my other friends who concur with me as well, posted below.

Adventure ever on my friends, Phat:devilish:(y)

By the genre, not the game, though.
this is "bit" older than that cyberpunk 2077.

Last edited:
  • Angry
Reactions: Balu83

Nulldev

Nov 28, 2017
The polish game version on wiki: "It is based on 's role-playing game franchise; Pondsmith started consulting on the project in 2012. " Cyberpunk 2077 was announced in May 2012. Trailers for the game were released in January 2013,

botc76

The Crawling Chaos, Bringer of Strange Joy
Donor
Oct 23, 2016
The polish game version on wiki: "It is based on 's role-playing game franchise; Pondsmith started consulting on the project in 2012. " Cyberpunk 2077 was announced in May 2012. Trailers for the game were released in January 2013,
No one is arguing that the Cyberpunk Pen and Paper RPG or the idea for adapting the game into a video game is older than City of Broken Dreamers, however as a fan of the genre Cyberpunk since it basically began with WIlliam Gibson's novel Neuromancer, in 1984, I can assure you that a)Cyberpunk the game is very much inspired by the works of Gibson, Bruce Sterling, Walter Jon Williams and the others who developed the literary genre and films like Blade Runner.
And b) It is by itself a very derivative work and "City of Broken Dreamers" takes it's inspiration from the same sources the RPG system does, not the RPG itself.

Claiming that "Broken Dreamers" is inspired by the RPG is like claiming that EVERY single Urban Fantasy novel where modern civilization meets magic and fairy tale creatures, is based on the Shadowun RPG system.

Philly's games so far have been very much genre games, the first one "Depraved Awakening" is a Neo-Noir game, just like this is a Cyberpunk game.
In both cases I would argue that Philly is simply working with the tropes and set pieces of the genre and less with specific inspiration from novels, books or games.

PapaPhat

Engaged Member
Mar 31, 2022
No one is arguing that the Cyberpunk Pen and Paper RPG or the idea for adapting the game into a video game is older than City of Broken Dreamers, however as a fan of the genre Cyberpunk since it basically began with WIlliam Gibson's novel Neuromancer, in 1984, I can assure you that a)Cyberpunk the game is very much inspired by the works of Gibson, Bruce Sterling, Walter Jon Williams and the others who developed the literary genre and films like Blade Runner.
And b) It is by itself a very derivative work and "City of Broken Dreamers" takes it's inspiration from the same sources the RPG system does, not the RPG itself.

Claiming that "Broken Dreamers" is inspired by the RPG is like claiming that EVERY single Urban Fantasy novel where modern civilization meets magic and fairy tale creatures, is based on the Shadowun RPG system.

Philly's games so far have been very much genre games, the first one "Depraved Awakening" is a Neo-Noir game, just like this is a Cyberpunk game.
In both cases I would argue that Philly is simply working with the tropes and set pieces of the genre and less with specific inspiration from novels, books or games.
Thank you, my friend, I agree. Besides, most wiki articles on pop culture are written by fans and seldom fact checked beyond one or two sources. Philly's content does use genre tropes but is 100% original content and doesn't plagiarize any source. The only part on which I don't agree is that cyberpunk as a concept and genre existed well before 1984. That one by Gibson is new to me. The majority of my experience with science fiction comes from film rather than books. David Cronenberg's Videodrome, starring James Woods released in 1983 and Ridley Scott's infamous Blade Runner released in 1982. The concepts found in cyberpunk have been around since the 60's and 70's but as far as I can tell the first mention of the actual term cyberpunk is currently credited to Bruce Bethke who released a novel of the same title, "Cyberpunk" in 1982. I don't mean to argue, just curious as I had not previously heard of Neuromancer by William Gibson. I'm sure that we can all agree that our love of and fascination with cyberpunk is very much alive and well. :)

Again, I do not wish to argue, just enjoying this discussion on a subject that has fascinated me since I first saw Blade Runner back in 1982. I was a sophomore in high school that year. Blade Runner opened my eyes to a whole new world of sci-fi that extended far beyond the TV and films I had seen before taking me much deeper than Star Trek and Star Wars ever could and made a great deal more sense to me than Kubrick's Space Oddity (yes, I am indulging in parody here... I've enjoyed many of Kubrick's films but 2001 and the follow up 2010 just left me scratching my head, not because I did not understand the concepts, just didn't like the direction they went.) Anyway... Thanks for indulging this wonderful subject, my friends. Let us not quarrel over specifics but rather simply enjoy the complex and intriguing nature of our shared passion for this exceptional genre called cyberpunk.

Adventure ever on, Phat:devilish:(y)

botc76

The Crawling Chaos, Bringer of Strange Joy
Donor
Oct 23, 2016
Thank you, my friend, I agree. Besides, most wiki articles on pop culture are written by fans and seldom fact checked beyond one or two sources. Philly's content does use genre tropes but is 100% original content and doesn't plagiarize any source. The only part on which I don't agree is that cyberpunk as a concept and genre existed well before 1984. That one by Gibson is new to me. The majority of my experience with science fiction comes from film rather than books. David Cronenberg's Videodrome, starring James Woods released in 1983 and Ridley Scott's infamous Blade Runner released in 1982. The concepts found in cyberpunk have been around since the 60's and 70's but as far as I can tell the first mention of the actual term cyberpunk is currently credited to Bruce Bethke who released a novel of the same title, "Cyberpunk" in 1982. I don't mean to argue, just curious as I had not previously heard of Neuromancer by William Gibson. I'm sure that we can all agree that our love of and fascination with cyberpunk is very much alive and well. :)

Again, I do not wish to argue, just enjoying this discussion on a subject that has fascinated me since I first saw Blade Runner back in 1982. I was a sophomore in high school that year. Blade Runner opened my eyes to a whole new world of sci-fi that extended far beyond the TV and films I had seen before taking me much deeper than Star Trek and Star Wars ever could and made a great deal more sense to me than Kubrick's Space Oddity (yes, I am indulging in parody here... I've enjoyed many of Kubrick's films but 2001 and the follow up 2010 just left me scratching my head, not because I did not understand the concepts, just didn't like the direction they went.) Anyway... Thanks for indulging this wonderful subject, my friends. Let us not quarrel over specifics but rather simply enjoy the complex and intriguing nature of our shared passion for this exceptional genre called cyberpunk.

Adventure ever on, Phat:devilish:(y)
No need to argue at all, as is often the case it's hard to decide when Cyberpunk really took off, parts of the settings and tropes had been around for a long time, a lot of it is also extrapolation of what had been shown in SF way before as you point out and fe. Blade Runner is definitely just as important for the genre as the novels are, and that in turn was inspired by the work of Jodorowsky and Moebius in the Graphic Novel format, especially Moebius art in "The Long Tomorrow."
Those two also inspired the descriptions of the cities in Gibson's novel.
Then you have fe., films like Rollerball and Soylent Green with their dystopian futures which are foreshadowing parts of the core concepts of Cyberpunk, as is every SF story that has a large megacorp in it which is more powerful than governments, or basically any story where we have some form of connection between the human mind and body and artificial, constructed elements like machines or computer.
All I know is that many credit Bethke with the coining of the term Cyberpunk in the short story of the same name, I never even knew a novel existed as well.
Bruce Sterling and William Gibson are at least seen as the two writers who popularized the genre, if not as the fathers of it in general.
In Neuromancer and his early short stories Gibson coined (in several cases) or at least introduced terms like cyberspace, net surfing, ICE, jacking in, and neural implants to a wider audience.
Especially, his term Cyberspace become so popular that it was used as the unofficial name for the then emerging WWW.

I admit, and I mean no disrespect with that, I am a bit surprised that someone who likes the genre has never heard of Neuromancer, a novel which not only won the Nebula, Philip K. Dick and Hugo Award (which is about as big as SF novels can get), but is also widely recognized for revitalizing the SF genre in the 80s and making it literally relevant again.

I would absolutely advise you to seek the novel out, of course a lot of it will feel familiar, almost 40 years later, but if you like Cyberpunk, there should be plenty for you to enjoy in the book, and it's direct sequels.
The book really influenced my tastes and interests a lot, when I first read it, and I soaked up everything connected to it for years after.
In my opinion, Gibson is also one of the best writers in SF in terms of style and language.

4.70 star(s) 422 Votes