VN Ren'Py Color of My Sound [Ch.2 Final v7] [Gallant Trombe]

4.30 star(s) 68 Votes

Gallant Trombe

Game Developer
Mar 19, 2021
Speak for yourself. I think it's perfectly fine without animations, and prefer it that way honestly. It's jarring to go from still image renders for 99 percent of a VN, to wonky, janky animations just for sex scenes. I like the consistency. The renders definitely compete, if not surpass the quality of other VNs that include animations and most importantly, the writing and plot is strong.
If "animations" are the make or break feature for you in Visual Novels, I think that's a bit ridiculous. Each to their own though, I suppose.
I mean, I don't necessarily think what they said was wrong. Logically you would think it is better to have no animations than to have shit animations, but apparently, that's not the case for some people.

As for CoMS, I don't compromise quality unless I absolutely have to. If I ever find a way to render animations that would transition seamlessly with stills, I would consider doing it. But even then, time is another major obstacle to overcome before animation is possible. I don't even have the time to render stills, let alone animations that are a few seconds long.

I work from home and I only have one PC. If I could render all day on a separate rig, this would be a lot more feasible. Right now, animation isn't something I would consider as realistic.

Last edited:

Cigzag

Feb 20, 2020
I mean, I don't think necessarily think what they said was wrong. Logically you would think it is better to have no animations than to have shit animations, but apparently, that's not the case for some people.

As for CoMS, I don't compromise quality unless I absolutely have to. If I ever find a way to render animations that would transition seamlessly with stills, I would consider doing it. But even then, time is another major obstacle to overcome before animation is possible. I don't even have the time to render stills, let alone animations that are a few seconds long.

I work from home and I only have one PC. If I could render all day on a separate rig, this would be a lot more feasible. Right now, animation isn't something I would consider as realistic.
Exactly. People don't realize just how drastically animations can increase the delay in updates, unless the developer has a render farm or some godly PC, which surprise surprise... most solo developers don't. Even single renders can take a lot of time depending on the scenes.

I think you are doing a really good job and am impressed with what you have done so far, and it's great you aren't willing to compromise the overall quality of your project to pander to anyone. If people aren't willing to give something a chance just because it doesn't contain flashy animations, I do think that's more of a problem on their end. Color of My Sound has all the other ingredients to make a very enjoyable Visual Novel, so I think if anyone is willing to miss out on all of that just because of no animations, it's their loss.

But that's just my 2 cents. Like I said, each to their own. I have always viewed Visual Novels as "digital interactive adult comic books" so animations have never been something I care for or expect. Just give me a good story, characters and passable renders and I am more than happy. Animations are of course a nice bonus, but only if they are done to a high standard. I will certainly never dismiss anything that doesn't have them. Shitty grammar and writing is what scares me off most :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

osanaiko

Engaged Member
Modder
Jul 4, 2017
There's only one solution. COMS fans must all support GT if they are able, and promote the game as much as possible. Set your banner! Post in other forums! Only then will GT's billfold be swollen with the cash needed to buy a render rig.

slick97

Dec 2, 2021
I mean, I don't necessarily think what they said was wrong. Logically you would think it is better to have no animations than to have shit animations, but apparently, that's not the case for some people.

I've said this before on a few threads that each AVN is governed by 3 pillars: story, sex scenes, and render quality. Animations typically prop up an AVN which only focuses on render quality without really caring about the story or believable sex scenes. From my point of view, you have proven to be strong in all 3 pillars which is while this AVN is deserving of a lot more attention (and funding for upgrading hardware).

This is also the first AVN I've come across that expertly weaves political intrigue and mystery into a story. Despite the wealth of information shared over the entire chapter I'm still unclear as to who to trust since it seems every party has their own agenda.

I really hope to see this AVN succeed as it's developers such as you that keep pushing the quality of the market higher :)

AgentKenji

May 14, 2017
Tried the latest version but out of curiosity. Is there supposed to be any progression in the story? It stopped at the same place as the last version

Gallant Trombe

Game Developer
Mar 19, 2021
Tried the latest version but out of curiosity. Is there supposed to be any progression in the story? It stopped at the same place as the last version
v9 was a hotfix that came out long ago to fix a bug with a variable and a few typos. It only just got updated here and might have caused some confusion.

Reactions: PapaPhat

Ryatt

Mar 7, 2019
Hmm just started this, looks good and all can't say much for the story so far but i do have one question. Does this not have any sound at all, because i don't hear anything even when doors are opened etc

Reactions: Gallant Trombe

troll822

Jun 22, 2017
But even then, time is another major obstacle to overcome before animation is possible. I don't even have the time to render stills, let alone animations that are a few seconds long.
I am honestly glad that the developer thinks that way and is not willing to compromise quality OR add weeks of delays over adding animation.

badass

Jul 24, 2017
I just played this game. don't know how this game missed my radar before lol. I like it very much. With a future improvement (sound etc) this game can be a top tier level.. Good luck to the dev! (y)

PapaPhat

Engaged Member
Mar 31, 2022
Thank you :giggle:

True harem with the squad.
Well... I'm 11 days late for v9 because it also says finale and I thought I had it already... Is this the "director's cut" you mentioned when we last spoke? It's been such a long time since I played that I think I'll run a fresh play just to stay current. This is a promising title, GT... I'm just wondering what is new to v9? There is no mention of it in the changelog or in any of the posts in forum. Please advise... And, thank you for your dedication to making a quality AVN, my friend!;)(y)

Update... please disregard the request above... I found the post where you had answered that question already... If anyone else is wondering what is new in v9, see GT's post here... https://f95zone.to/threads/color-of-my-sound-ch-1-finale-v9-gallant-trombe.95142/post-9184815

Adventure ever on, Phat:cool:(y)

Reactions: EndlessNights

Gallant Trombe

Game Developer
Mar 19, 2021
Well... I'm 11 days late for v9 because it also says finale and I thought I had it already... Is this the "director's cut" you mentioned when we last spoke? It's been such a long time since I played that I think I'll run a fresh play just to stay current. This is a promising title, GT... I'm just wondering what is new to v9? There is no mention of it in the changelog or in any of the posts in forum. Please advise... And, thank you for your dedication to making a quality AVN, my friend!;)(y)

Update... please disregard the request above... I found the post where you had answered that question already... If anyone else is wondering what is new in v9, see GT's post here... https://f95zone.to/threads/color-of-my-sound-ch-1-finale-v9-gallant-trombe.95142/post-9184815

Adventure ever on, Phat:cool:(y)
Yeah... To recap, the Director's Cut ended up taking too much time away from Ch2 and so I can't afford to prioritise it over Ch2 anymore. All the features of that will come with Ch2. There is a small chance I could release it before that, as I have been chipping away at it from time to time. I just couldn't dedicate the actual time needed to push it out as I would normally for an update.

4.30 star(s) 68 Votes