Seeking Completed games with great story

dagarridomot

Jan 21, 2019
Hey everyone.
I don't want this thread to sound as a rant but I'm tired of games with the same boring story. Lots of Ren'Py games are identical to each other in terms of plot. You are a guy who lives with his mother and sisters. You fuck them. End of story.

The plots I liked the most are from:
Depraved Awakening
The Author (superb writing)
Dreams of Desire
Gray (this story in particular was so good)
Timestamps, Unconditional Love

Honorable mentions:
No More Secrets (decent story)
Echoes of Lust (the second season is not as good as the first one)
Acting Lessons (I liked it but it's not as good as everyone seems to depict it)

I'm even willing to pay for it but it has to be completed. So please don't suggest any game still in development*. And I would like to avoid RPGM games as well, if possible.

Thanks a lot in advance. (y)

* I could accept abandoned games suggestions if the story sounds great.

Last edited:

Hentai_Kishi

Game Developer
Jul 24, 2018
Well, it depends a lot what you want. Do you want only 3D visual novels? because I can recommend a lot of good 2D ones that are completed, also, what are your preferences? Do you only like Harem Incest combo? Are you willing to read all stories as long they are good?

dagarridomot

Jan 21, 2019
Well, it depends a lot what you want. Do you want only 3D visual novels? because I can recommend a lot of good 2D ones that are completed, also, what are your preferences? Do you only like Harem Incest combo? Are you willing to read all stories as long they are good?
I prefer 3D, but 2D games are good too, so any good suggestion is much appreciated.
I have no preference regarding Harem or Incest or anything else. The most important aspect has to be the story (different and intriguing).
And yes, as long as the story is good and captivating I'm willing to read everything of course.

m00nsh1ne

Feb 22, 2020
Good Girl Gone Bad had some pretty good writing and the story branches/divulges quite a bit depending on what route/decisions you make along the way. I think a lot of other games have great stories but most are still in development aside from what was already mentioned. But if you do want to give one a chance that's not quite 100% then check out The Intoxicating Flavor. That story could literally go anywhere right now lol.

Reactions: dagarridomot

Hentai_Kishi

Game Developer
Jul 24, 2018
This is the way I see it: Stories can be good even if they are short and simple, as long as they are well thought and written, some of the items in this list may be just that. There are some stellar stories too.

Summer with Mia - There is a second one being made, it doesn't have the most epic story ever but it is kind of bittersweet, I enjoyed. Don't be fooled by the NTR tag, it's an optional episode that doesn't add much, you can ignore it completely. 3D Incest VN.

Make love not Waagh! - Short story about a couple in a world where fantasy races exist, vanilla in the sense that it's a common couple's story but a nice and sweet game nonetheless. 2D VN.

Utawarerumono - Apparently they took out the ero content in this game but still(when they show you a picture of the sky with stars you are probably banging someone), I'm hooked on this game, it's long and you get to discover the world together with the main character, there are mysteries you want answers to and there are a lot of characters. Although I didn't finish it yet I would recommend you playing it. It's a 2D visual novel with tactical battles like fire emblem. I highly recommend it.

Majikoi - A very long 2D visual novel, it's very comedic and everything happens in a way you don't really expect, while the game doesn't have the super serious grand anime epic story the characters interact with each other in a organic way and you can't help but enjoy their friendship and the situations they get themselves in. The routes with the girls are each unique. I won't say more, I highly recommend it.

Hoshizora no Memoria - A nice game, there is a big mystery that you are trying to figure out during the game, it's long and there are multiple routes. 2D VN.

Venus Blood Frontier - It's a world domination game with actual gameplay but on top of the story you also have these events that flesh out the characters and how far they have been corrupted, it's a VN with gameplay.

Evenicle - A different story than what I'm used to, the way things work in the world are interesting and even the monsters act in unique ways. The game is mostly open world with visual novel elements and the battles are actually fun. It's one of my favorites and there is a second one coming! I highly recommend it.

Sanguine Rose - It's not a long game or even a game with a lot of different endings but it's well made and it has absolutely stellar art, a satisfying story overall.

Wicked Choices - I recently started playing this, I don't really know how well it will develop but from what I have seen you have a lot of different outcomes and the story gets interesting. 3D VN.

I'm sorry if I put way too much anime in my list but it's just that a lot of good 3D games are in development and most of the completed ones just stick to the usual and don't introduce anything super out of the ordinary, you will probably find better stories in long japanese visual novels(not all are worth it though, some are cliche cringy). I hope it helps!

Mario4don

Your Mother's Lover
Donor
Dec 16, 2018
Melody - I think it's a good game with a good story

Life with Mary - this is a game that Ptolemy helped develop so I think it is a very good game with an interesting story that is not copied from other games

Triangle - another good game with a decent story in my opinion

Twists of My Life - another good game with a decent story in my opinion

Lancaster Boarding House - next good game with a decent story in my opinion

Sisterly Lust - I know it's one of the many incest and harem games that are often similar, but I think this one is not the worst of the similar stories

Parental Love - I have a similar opinion of this game to that of Sisterly Lust

dagarridomot

Jan 21, 2019
Good Girl Gone Bad had some pretty good writing and the story branches/divulges quite a bit depending on what route/decisions you make along the way. I think a lot of other games have great stories but most are still in development aside from what was already mentioned. But if you do want to give one a chance that's not quite 100% then check out The Intoxicating Flavor. That story could literally go anywhere right now lol.
For some reason I was never able to appreciate Good Girl Gone Bad as much as other people were.
Intoxicating Flavor, on the other hand, looks very interesting but as I said I'm looking for a completed game. Anyway I'll keep an eye on it in the future. Right now I just need a complete game with an ending to satisfy my needs. XD
Thanks for the suggestions.

This is the way I see it: Stories can be good even if they are short and simple, as long as they are well thought and written, some of the items in this list may be just that. There are some stellar stories too.

Summer with Mia - There is a second one being made, it doesn't have the most epic story ever but it is kind of bittersweet, I enjoyed. Don't be fooled by the NTR tag, it's an optional episode that doesn't add much, you can ignore it completely. 3D Incest VN.

Make love not Waagh! - Short story about a couple in a world where fantasy races exist, vanilla in the sense that it's a common couple's story but a nice and sweet game nonetheless. 2D VN.

Utawarerumono - Apparently they took out the ero content in this game but still(when they show you a picture of the sky with stars you are probably banging someone), I'm hooked on this game, it's long and you get to discover the world together with the main character, there are mysteries you want answers to and there are a lot of characters. Although I didn't finish it yet I would recommend you playing it. It's a 2D visual novel with tactical battles like fire emblem. I highly recommend it.

Majikoi - A very long 2D visual novel, it's very comedic and everything happens in a way you don't really expect, while the game doesn't have the super serious grand anime epic story the characters interact with each other in a organic way and you can't help but enjoy their friendship and the situations they get themselves in. The routes with the girls are each unique. I won't say more, I highly recommend it.

Hoshizora no Memoria - A nice game, there is a big mystery that you are trying to figure out during the game, it's long and there are multiple routes. 2D VN.

Venus Blood Frontier - It's a world domination game with actual gameplay but on top of the story you also have these events that flesh out the characters and how far they have been corrupted, it's a VN with gameplay.

Evenicle - A different story than what I'm used to, the way things work in the world are interesting and even the monsters act in unique ways. The game is mostly open world with visual novel elements and the battles are actually fun. It's one of my favorites and there is a second one coming! I highly recommend it.

Sanguine Rose - It's not a long game or even a game with a lot of different endings but it's well made and it has absolutely stellar art, a satisfying story overall.

Wicked Choices - I recently started playing this, I don't really know how well it will develop but from what I have seen you have a lot of different outcomes and the story gets interesting. 3D VN.

I'm sorry if I put way too much anime in my list but it's just that a lot of good 3D games are in development and most of the completed ones just stick to the usual and don't introduce anything super out of the ordinary, you will probably find better stories in long japanese visual novels(not all are worth it though, some are cliche cringy). I hope it helps!
Yep, unfortunately a lot of good and promising Ren'Py games are still in development. That's why I opened this thread.
I already played Summer of Mia and I found it surprisingly boring. I played Sanguine Rose too (I loved the art style)
As for the other suggestions I'll try Majikoi and Hoshizora no Memoria because I'm not a huge fan of turn based gameplay.
Thanks a lot.

Melody - I think it's a good game with a good story

Life with Mary - this is a game that Ptolemy helped develop so I think it is a very good game with an interesting story that is not copied from other games

Triangle - another good game with a decent story in my opinion

Twists of My Life - another good game with a decent story in my opinion

Lancaster Boarding House - next good game with a decent story in my opinion

Sisterly Lust - I know it's one of the many incest and harem games that are often similar, but I think this one is not the worst of the similar stories

Parental Love - I have a similar opinion of this game to that of Sisterly Lust
I already played most of them. Melody is the only one I'm interested in. Thanks for the suggestions anyway.

heebyweeby

Sep 11, 2020
Deliverance, Evenicle. There's one not mentioned yet. The one with the short-haired blonde fitness aunt.
She helps the MC. :D

Is there any good ending to acting lessons?

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2018
You may enjoy my game, . It is about an alien that crashes on a small planet, and you have to protect her from evil forces trying to get her back while hiding her from your provincial neighbors. Text based sex with some pixel images. Plenty of exploring and side quests. Runs a couple hours. Recently completed.

I will say it is RPGM, but no combat or incest. It has a unique story you may enjoy if you like sci fi.

oshtoshashlyk

Mar 5, 2020
I agree wholeheartedly. Evenicle is an incredibly good game.

Reactions: heebyweeby

kilobananov

Nov 3, 2019
I like a darker vibe, so I am quite surprised that you didn't like Acting Lessons this much. Not gonna argue, we all have our own preferences, but I find that one really good in terms of characters and writing. Especially humor: Liam's jokes got me laughting out loud several times - which makes an interesting contrast with the events that he has to face during the story.

So far my favorite game in terms of writing is Leap Of Faith. 5 out of 8 (expected) chapters are released to this moment, so there's a lot of waiting to come, but I feel it really is worth the wait. Love Interests are very different, one can find a girl to their liking, all of them are well-rounded personalities. Besides, and this is quite a unique feature, the game is very cinematographic in the way of how the composition of the renders and their sequence are supporting the plot.

Summer's gone is on an even earlier release stage (it seems), but the story is very touching and involving. The supportive stepsis is a gem. And once again I would praise the visual aspect of storytelling.

TImestamps Ch.1 as a complete game and the yet unfinished ch. 2 are some good examples of a "guy fucks the landlady and everyone else" sandbox game with an interesting sci-fi plot. Good animations.

Katawa Shoujo - haven't played it yet, but it's on my to-do list. I read lots and lots of positive feedback about it. Not only here on f95. Visuals may look dated and not HQ enough to one's taste, but how much does it matter with a proper story.

dagarridomot

Jan 21, 2019
I like a darker vibe, so I am quite surprised that you didn't like Acting Lessons this much. Not gonna argue, we all have our own preferences, but I find that one really good in terms of characters and writing. Especially humor: Liam's jokes got me laughting out loud several times - which makes an interesting contrast with the events that he has to face during the story.

So far my favorite game in terms of writing is Leap Of Faith. 5 out of 8 (expected) chapters are released to this moment, so there's a lot of waiting to come, but I feel it really is worth the wait. Love Interests are very different, one can find a girl to their liking, all of them are well-rounded personalities. Besides, and this is quite a unique feature, the game is very cinematographic in the way of how the composition of the renders and their sequence are supporting the plot.

Summer's gone is on an even earlier release stage (it seems), but the story is very touching and involving. The supportive stepsis is a gem. And once again I would praise the visual aspect of storytelling.

TImestamps Ch.1 as a complete game and the yet unfinished ch. 2 are some good examples of a "guy fucks the landlady and everyone else" sandbox game with an interesting sci-fi plot. Good animations.

Katawa Shoujo - haven't played it yet, but it's on my to-do list. I read lots and lots of positive feedback about it. Not only here on f95. Visuals may look dated and not HQ enough to one's taste, but how much does it matter with a proper story.
I liked Acting Lessons. In fact I listed it in the honorable mention in the op. But is a bit overrated, imo.
About Leap of Faith, I know it's really good but I am going to wait until the game is finished.

millerten

Mar 10, 2021
I liked Acting Lessons. In fact I listed it in the honorable mention in the op. But is a bit overrated, imo.
About Leap of Faith, I know it's really good but I am going to wait until the game is finished.
Just my 2 cents about Leap Of Faith - it's overrated. Too much "water" in dialogues, like the dev is afraid it'll be short so he fills it with empty and dull speeches, I gave it up and never came back to it.

• Sad
Reactions: Blaqueheart