VN Ren'Py Abandoned Connected [v0.2.5] [ChainZero]

4.60 star(s) 61 Votes

MrFriendly

Officially Dead Inside
Donor
Feb 23, 2020

It took a while but I think I've finally decided on a look for Ayana in the revamp of Chapter 1 (just to recap briefly, the revamp is just meant to be updating some of the renders, the models of MC, Gloria and Susan as well as revising the text, more accurately the narration of the entire story so far. Nothing about the story or characters changes.)
I was saying I can just reuse her appearance of the original Ch. 1, but that's not exactly fun and besides, I think this look fits her much more. So this is how she will look in Chapter 1's revamp.
There's not much to discuss outside of that for right now.
Ayana is still gorgeous and the front runner for MC's dream girl. He just needs to realize it :)

Reactions: Malkovichi

Rmax

Nov 16, 2018

It took a while but I think I've finally decided on a look for Ayana in the revamp of Chapter 1 (just to recap briefly, the revamp is just meant to be updating some of the renders, the models of MC, Gloria and Susan as well as revising the text, more accurately the narration of the entire story so far. Nothing about the story or characters changes.)
I was saying I can just reuse her appearance of the original Ch. 1, but that's not exactly fun and besides, I think this look fits her much more. So this is how she will look in Chapter 1's revamp.
There's not much to discuss outside of that for right now.
I hope this won't mean that old saves don't work. I am getting SO tired of that. I would rather have the old renders if that is what will happen.

Englen

Mar 17, 2019
I hope this won't mean that old saves don't work. I am getting SO tired of that. I would rather have the old renders if that is what will happen.
They wont work, the rewamp will change a lot of things not just renders so its worth to start over to see the new content.

Rmax

Nov 16, 2018
They wont work, the rewamp will change a lot of things not just renders so its worth to start over to see the new content.
No, it is NOT worth it. I'm sick of changes for the sake of changes. If that's how the Dev wanted it, do it that way in the FIRST PLACE.

Blaze616

Jul 26, 2018
No, it is NOT worth it. I'm sick of changes for the sake of changes. If that's how the Dev wanted it, do it that way in the FIRST PLACE.
Well man it's an ongoing game so changes are expected. Better do it now in chapter 2 than down the line.

Deleted member 444674

Game Developer
Feb 17, 2018
No, it is NOT worth it.
It hasn't happened yet, so you don't know what it'd be worth.

I'm sick of changes for the sake of changes.
That's not what this is. These changes are being done to help improve things that can be improved. A lot can be improved with the first chapter, especially.

- Certain awkward-looking renders
- Inconsistent character models
- Bloated narrations
- Unnecessary exposition dumping

If that's how the Dev wanted it, do it that way in the FIRST PLACE.
Hindsight's a bitch, albeit I always sort of had an issue with Chapter 1. I said this even before the release of Chapter 2. It's just that some outside criticisms made those issues more glaring to me. All I want to do is create a game and story I can be proud of. I wasn't proud of Ch. 1 despite its praise and the first chapter of anything is what you use to ultimately hook your audience. I don't want to compromise that because I didn't build the best story I could from the beginning. I'd rather do this now while the game is young.

Look, I get it. I do. As a fan, I hate having to restart a game cause old saves don't work, especially if it's something that has to be done after every update. If there is any solace to this, it's that this is a one-time thing. Not something that will be done in every single chapter.

I remember you reported that saves didn't work for this version, including about 3 or 4 others, so I get your particular frustration over this. In that scenario, all I did was write the text for Chapter 3 so I didn't go and mess with anything that could compromise saves. That issue was completely beyond me. Even now, I still don't know what caused it. Chalk that up to being a novice in the coding department.

If I lost you with this news, I'm sorry, as they say, you can't please everyone. But I can please myself and I'll feel much better continuing the story knowing these issues won't linger in my mind after the fact.

Rmax

Nov 16, 2018
ive not had to restart once in this games life cycle.
I have.
"
May 4, 2020
Anyone else having trouble with the save games from v0.2.0 to v0.2.5? I have tried rollback, ignore, copy and paste and I am still getting kicked back to the start. If this is a one time deal or just my individual issue - okay, if this is like a couple of the other games I have played where every version has to be started from the beginning, well then, no patron and no play.

Here is the traceback:
Code:
I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
File "renpy/common/00action_file.rpy", line 452, in __call__
renpy.load(fn)
ImportError: No module named matrix

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
File "renpy/common/_layout/screen_main_menu.rpym", line 28, in script
python hide:
File "E:\Pn\Games\Connected\Connected-v0.2.5-pc\renpy\ast.py", line 912, in execute
renpy.python.py_exec_bytecode(self.code.bytecode, self.hide, store=self.store)
File "E:\Pn\Games\Connected\Connected-v0.2.5-pc\renpy\python.py", line 2004, in py_exec_bytecode
exec bytecode in globals, locals
File "renpy/common/_layout/screen_main_menu.rpym", line 28, in <module>
python hide:
File "renpy/common/_layout/screen_main_menu.rpym", line 35, in _execute_python_hide
ui.interact()"

Multiple people had this problem. Dev said to bad, so sad, must be YOUR problem. Tried it on multiple machines. Had to start over. Won't do it again, especially when the Dev doesn't give a s**t.

Last edited:

MrFriendly

Officially Dead Inside
Donor
Feb 23, 2020
It hasn't happened yet, so you don't know what it'd be worth.

That's not what this is. These changes are being done to help improve things that can be improved. A lot can be improved with the first chapter, especially.

- Certain awkward-looking renders
- Inconsistent character models
- Bloated narrations
- Unnecessary exposition dumping

Hindsight's a bitch, albeit I always sort of had an issue with Chapter 1. I said this even before the release of Chapter 2. It's just that some outside criticisms made those issues more glaring to me. All I want to do is create a game and story I can be proud of. I wasn't proud of Ch. 1 despite its praise and the first chapter of anything is what you use to ultimately hook your audience. I don't want to compromise that because I didn't build the best story I could from the beginning. I'd rather do this now while the game is young.

Look, I get it. I do. As a fan, I hate having to restart a game cause old saves don't work, especially if it's something that has to be done after every update. If there is any solace to this, it's that this is a one-time thing. Not something that will be done in every single chapter.

I remember you reported that saves didn't work for this version, including about 3 or 4 others, so I get your particular frustration over this. In that scenario, all I did was write the text for Chapter 3 so I didn't go and mess with anything that could compromise saves. That issue was completely beyond me. Even now, I still don't know what caused it. Chalk that up to being a novice in the coding department.

If I lost you with this news, I'm sorry, as they say, you can't please everyone. But I can please myself and I'll feel much better continuing the story knowing these issues won't linger in my mind after the fact.
I love the game and I love that you feel a need to go back and improve things right now before you get to deep into the story. The game isn't that long right now and the fact that someone is willing to quit now when you are improving things is frustrating. I am excited for what you do next, I am sure most people are. Keep up the excellent work!

Deleted member 444674

Game Developer
Feb 17, 2018
I have.
"
May 4, 2020
Anyone else having trouble with the save games from v0.2.0 to v0.2.5? I have tried rollback, ignore, copy and paste and I am still getting kicked back to the start. If this is a one time deal or just my individual issue - okay, if this is like a couple of the other games I have played where every version has to be started from the beginning, well then, no patron and no play.

Here is the traceback:
Code:
I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
File "renpy/common/00action_file.rpy", line 452, in __call__
renpy.load(fn)
ImportError: No module named matrix

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
File "renpy/common/_layout/screen_main_menu.rpym", line 28, in script
python hide:
File "E:\Pn\Games\Connected\Connected-v0.2.5-pc\renpy\ast.py", line 912, in execute
renpy.python.py_exec_bytecode(self.code.bytecode, self.hide, store=self.store)
File "E:\Pn\Games\Connected\Connected-v0.2.5-pc\renpy\python.py", line 2004, in py_exec_bytecode
exec bytecode in globals, locals
File "renpy/common/_layout/screen_main_menu.rpym", line 28, in <module>
python hide:
File "renpy/common/_layout/screen_main_menu.rpym", line 35, in _execute_python_hide
ui.interact()"

Multiple people had this problem. Dev said to bad, so sad, must be YOUR problem. Tried it on multiple machines. Had to start over. Won't do it again, especially when the Dev doesn't give a s**t.
Including you, only about 4 others have reported this issue. One time on Patreon, 3 times here. You're among the 3. And if I remember probably once on discord. As I said, I don't know what the problem here is because as Englen said, he hasn't had to restart for any reason at all thus far. Neither has any of my testers nor have I gotten overwhelming reports of this.

I looked into it, but found nothing out of the ordinary. As I said that time, I also uploaded a fix that hadn't been uploaded here on F95 as yet that took care of the [player_name] bug, but before I uploaded it, I also deleted my own persistent data and saves (something I did for Chapter 2, but didn't do for Ch.3) so I held on to the hope that that was the culprit. I haven't seen anyone report an error since, an error that was already pretty scarce among the players to begin with. It's not that I don't give a shit. It's just I haven't been able to locate the issue at hand which led me to assume it was probably an issue on your end <- This assumption was just me thinking out loud. But I did do some research as I've said on my end and the 2.5.1 update hopefully corrected that issue. If not, then the issue is currently beyond my knowledge and experience.

If there is currently an issue that I cannot identify from the traceback given to me, then all the more reason to revamp this thing before it gets out of hand. All I can do now is apologize for the inconvenience. So I'm sorry about this, seriously, but know if I did know the exact issue, I would've corrected it in a heartbeat.

MrFriendly

Officially Dead Inside
Donor
Feb 23, 2020
Gotta ask... Any chance of a redhead showing up in the game? I'm not addicted or something.

Deleted member 444674

Game Developer
Feb 17, 2018
Gotta ask... Any chance of a redhead showing up in the game? I'm not addicted or something.
Ehhhhh not currently, no. I love redheads myself, (Olivia, Sage, Ellie, Johanna & Tamara) just to name a few, but in creating the girls I have now, a redhead sort of slipped my mind and I wouldn't want to create another character just to make them a one-off fuck, know what I mean? Perhaps later down the line if the story could use another character. Or maybe a short story non Connected related featuring a redhead, but for right now, no redhead. Sorry :cry:

MrFriendly

Officially Dead Inside
Donor
Feb 23, 2020
Ehhhhh not currently, no. I love redheads myself, (Olivia, Sage, Ellie, Johanna & Tamara) just to name a few, but in creating the girls I have now, a redhead sort of slipped my mind and I wouldn't want to create another character just to make them a one-off fuck, know what I mean? Perhaps later down the line if the story could use another character. Or maybe a short story non Connected related featuring a redhead, but for right now, no redhead. Sorry :cry:
Okay, then you will just owe me a redhead in a future project :ROFLMAO:

No worries, redheads are number one for me but brunettes are number two so we all good.

Glooskabe

Jan 4, 2020
It's a pretty big oversight. You'll have to just work to make these girls extra hot and spicy to compensate. :love:

Smarmint

Mar 23, 2019
ChainZero , some people just do not understand that fan supported games are a work in progress. We are not at version 1.0. It's not like a game studio where you create everything and revise the game for years before anyone in the public sees it. I don't think any first time devs (or even long time ones) get everything just right the first time, and if you want to improve things a bit to make yourself happier with the final product, please do. I actually liked chapter one a lot, and I am probably in the minority that likes lots of detailed dialog. Unless it is clunky ("Hi nice to see you. Yes it is nice. I am fine. Me too"), I actually like "bloated" narration and lots of exposition, so I didn't notice anything off and enjoyed all your dialog, but that's just me.

I didn't have a problem with my old saves myself, but for a VN, is it really a big deal if saves don't work? It's not like its a grindy sandbox where you have to click all over town and grind stats just to get back to where you were. Just hold down ctrl and make the same common-sense decisions you made last time. Even the longest VN here, you could probably zip through in 10 minutes at max speed to get where you were. Besides, Connected is good enough to repeat from the beginning just to see more of Charlotte!

Speaking of Charlotte, I know that Ayana gets much love here, and I do like her a lot as a friend and sometimes sex buddy, but I really want to spend more time with Charlotte. She's a knock out, and I really like what we've seen of her personality so far. I hope we get to spend plenty of time with Charlotte eventually.

4.60 star(s) 61 Votes