VN Ren'Py Abandoned Connected [v0.2.5] [ChainZero]

4.60 star(s) 61 Votes

Deleted member 444674

Game Developer
Feb 17, 2018
but these characters you're creating aren't
They are. They don't look it, I get that, but they are. I don't really wanna talk about it again, for obvious reasons, cause it's getting repetitive. I'm sure you can understand, I've been around the block at least 5 times with this topic already, so I'd like to let it rest, though I do appreciate your feedback. I'm mostly responding to it every time cause I don't want people to be misinformed or have more questions than answers.

I personally just for my enjoyment and cohesion as an individual player need to understand where this character is coming from, because both from an ethnic and style standpoint
I hear you. The MC and Charlotte are just incredibly light skinned. The blue eyes throw you off, but there are enough examples of the like online, so it's not impossible. Quickest example is the Hodgetwins. Or Logic (rapper).

Just a few comments above yours, I said that in the revamp, I'm making it a point to highlight their ethnicity a bit more, particularly Ayana. You'll see it through how she voluntarily slips into a different accent as well as how the environment around her shapes her culture.

I didn't anticipate people having this much of an issue with the way Ayana speaks, assuming she was anything but a girl of color. Her mom, Gloria, doesn't look anything but African-American to me and both of them are no lighter than Beyonce or Rihanna, so I'm legitimately puzzled where the confusion is coming from. She doesn't look Caucasian to me and I'm sure by her language, as well as some of the dialogue in v0.2.5, that Spanish-speaking should've been ruled out as well.

So while I've seen people say similar things, I'm still very much struggling with the perspective of their assumptions when it comes to Ayana. I feel like it's as simple as a process of elimination in her case.

suggadig

Sep 8, 2020
They are. They don't look it, I get that, but they are. I don't really wanna talk about it again, for obvious reasons, cause it's getting repetitive. I'm sure you can understand, I've been around the block at least 5 times with this topic already, so I'd like to let it rest, though I do appreciate your feedback. I'm mostly responding to it every time cause I don't want people to be misinformed or have more questions than answers.

I hear you. The MC and Charlotte are just incredibly light skinned. The blue eyes throw you off, but there are enough examples of the like online, so it's not impossible. Quickest example is the Hodgetwins. Or Logic (rapper).

Just a few comments above yours, I said that in the revamp, I'm making it a point to highlight their ethnicity a bit more, particularly Ayana. You'll see it through how she voluntarily slips into a different accent as well as how the environment around her shapes her culture.

I didn't anticipate people having this much of an issue with the way Ayana speaks, assuming she was anything but a girl of color. Her mom, Gloria, doesn't look anything but African-American to me and both of them are no lighter than Beyonce or Rihanna, so I'm legitimately puzzled where the confusion is coming from. She doesn't look Caucasian to me and I'm sure by her language, as well as some of the dialogue in v0.2.5, that Spanish-speaking should've been ruled out as well.

So while I've seen people say similar things, I'm still very much struggling with the perspective of their assumptions when it comes to Ayana. I feel like it's as simple as a process of elimination in her case
Personally I don't give a shit, but that's largely because there are much more questionable things that we glaze over on this site just because it's in a game lol. I was surprised to see her say it but hey. Gonna have to just agree to disagree on her looks though. It was pretty clear to me why anyone would be thrown off or think she's white or something. Just cause she's the same skin color doesnt mean she looks the same lol. Anyways fun story keep it up

Btw, wouldn't a good way to let people know about your incoming revamp be to just say so in the OP dev notes or something? That way no one who likes the way the story is gets thrown off either lol

Last edited:

Bluedolph

Jan 20, 2020

So while I've seen people say similar things, I'm still very much struggling with the perspective of their assumptions when it comes to Ayana. I feel like it's as simple as a process of elimination in her case.
Hey no worries dude. Again, it's your game and at the end of the day, it doesn't really matter so I wouldn't let it stress you out. I didn't mean to wear you out with this. Like I said, if you can't see the issue with it and you think it's fine for the character then I'd just go with it. I saw your comment about redoing some things, but I just like sharing my personal opinions about games if I think it's constructive. To your curiosity though, for me it's less about their skin color and eye color as it is their facial features. Obviously people from every ethnic background can look like and have features of others, but Ayana just looked upfront just white to me, and after reading that she wasn't, at most Armenian or something. You said she's not though and you don't see the problem with it so fuck it. Sounds good. This wasn't a problematic race, edit to be less offensive thing, this was more of a buying dialogue thing for me. Like suggadig said though, it might help everyone to just say in the OP or something that some dialogue or specificity is being added to character backgrounds for the intro scenes or something similar if you wanna avoid more people asking about this.

Reactions: Mpkstroff

Maviarab

Devoted Member
Jul 12, 2020
I just automatically assume that if a character uses the N-word he or she has N-word priveleges (ie he or she is all or part black).
Why is it a privalege just because they are black? Is that like their we're not racists privalege because they are black? Where does that line of thought stop?

For the record on the ridiculous subject...I never thought she was black for a minute lmao...never even entered my head. Latina maybe...but hey...we all see what we see I guess and again, never thought the use of the word was overly jarring either.

Reactions: Dark Quean Olivia

KinkierThanThou

Apr 19, 2020
Why is it a privalege just because they are black? Is that like their we're not racists privalege because they are black? Where does that line of thought stop?

For the record on the ridiculous subject...I never thought she was black for a minute lmao...never even entered my head. Latina maybe...but hey...we all see what we see I guess and again, never thought the use of the word was overly jarring either.
It is culturally accepted for Black people to use the N-word as it is not culturally accepted for other races to use the N-word. They took what was a racial slur used against them by mostly white people and took it for themselves and only themselves.

This reminds me of that incident when Ron Jans (very dutch, very white) when he was coach of the FC Cincinatti (MLS) and sang along in the locker room to a rap song containing the N-word in the lyrics. Remember that discussion between JD and Turk from Scrubs? Yeah anyway, it blew up, he was deemed a racist (and let me tell you as a dutchman that Ron Jans is one of the nicest guys in his field of work, if anything too nice) and as a result was forced to resign.

Now obviously, the N-word and its use are a little more sensitive of a subject in the USA than it is in the Netherlands, so as nice as Ron Jans is, he obviously miscalculated the impact of his little sing-along. And full disclosure in the Netherlands it was treated as a storm in a glass of water incident by the media. Partly it's because the N-word isn't really embedded in our language and culture, we only hear it in popular media like rap and American movies. So to us it's more of a pop-culture reference than a slur. Probably because we don't censor anything.

Like if you listen to daytime radio and a Snoop Dogg song comes on, you WILL hear the N-word, uncensored. And if the song is popular enough, chances are some white college kids WILL sing along with it without bleeping themselves.

As for Ayana, Word of God (ie ChainZero ) has stated she is black, and black enough to have the N-word ingrained in her daily vocabulary and that's good enough for me. As for her looks, mixed heritage can do that to a person. I'm mixed heritage myself (Indo-European) and other than dark hair and the ability to get a darker tan, I could easily pass for white. My GF is half Turkish and looks whiter than me.

Alicia Keyes with a different wardrobe could probably pass as Middle-Eastern, or Southern European or maybe Latin and I think Ayana isn't too dissimilar to Alicia in physical ambiguity. I'm not sure if Alicia ever used the N-word in her lyrics though, not a fan of her music, but I bet she could if she wanted to and no one would bat an eye.

Yet when Ayana does it everyone loses their minds. Go figure.

Last edited:

Rintal

May 6, 2017
N-word priveleges
HAHAHA! This whole thing is so insane in its stupidity that in Russia we are already tired of laughing and just watching the struggle for "social justice" with a bucket of popcorn. N-word privilege. HAHAHA!

Sorry for the little off-top. I just think that words are perceived differently depending on the culture. Even in Africa there are countries where people call themselves Negroes and do not find anything offensive in this. Therefore, you shouldn't blame the characters of the invented game for racism, without knowing their identity, location, etc.

In fact, I just thought and realized that I would like this game, even if the main character is recognized as a member of the Ku Klux Klan. Simply because it has nothing to do with the plot.

Holy Bacchus

Conversation Conqueror
Dec 13, 2018

Charlotte September 2020 Wallpaper

Didn't find a good environment to do this in, so I just settled with some cool lighting this time. This wallpaper is kinda late because I was kinda going back and forth on what to do for a Charlotte wallpaper this month.

I've been listening to a lot of ASMR lately, as it helps calm me down and keep me focused. I don't know why, it just does, lol. So I created an ASMR prop to use for the scene. It also gave me a good character-building idea for Charlotte as well.

someremove

May 6, 2020

Didn't find a good environment to do this in, so I just settled with some cool lighting this time. This wallpaper is kinda late because I was kinda going back and forth on what to do for a Charlotte wallpaper this month.

I've been listening to a lot of ASMR lately, as it helps calm me down and keep me focused. I don't know why, it just does, lol. So I created an ASMR prop to use for the scene. It also gave me a good character-building idea for Charlotte as well.
unpopular opinion probably but Charlotte is best girl :cool:

Ayhsel

Chocolate Vampire
Donor
May 9, 2019

New wallpaper for my PC. I just wished her face was not covered by the cellphone.
unpopular opinion probably but Charlotte is best girl :cool:
I stand with you. She is definitely best girl and by far! :love:

Well, that is if you don't count Lola!

• Red Heart
Reactions: someremove
4.60 star(s) 61 Votes