BerglorMan94

Apr 10, 2021
I really wanted to like this game because it hits all my kinks, but honestly the early player experience is restrictively bad. Everything I need to know is so obfuscated and not particularly well documented or presented in game. I feel like I need a math degree to understand the core mechanics as there are so modifiers that are just about them going up and with very little feedback on how you are going (this coming from someone who plays dwarf fortress in its original ASCII). Even after following the tutorial and the guides people have posted here, I am yet to get a single break (even after getting the girls to hit 1k+ trauma in all 4 not a single one broke, so either I am not understanding what needs to happen, or something else is going on in the code, either way not a good experience). The game itself never explains that getting 200+ circumstance on a girl is important to gather EE and it never actually tells you the proper requirements to break T1’s.

One thing that really threw me early on is that there is not really a unifying method on which the mechanics work operate. Each one seems to have its own complexity that doesn’t really mesh well with the others. Take for example:

HATE: x2 all damage per level, or x4 for FEAR

PLEA: x4 all traumas per level, or x8 for DISG

INJU: x3 all circumstances per level, also x2 PAIN

EXPO: x2 all ally circumstance damage per level, also x2 own SHAM

Now ask your players if they are able to remember the above when making plans. What is the difference between damage and circumstances? There is nothing wrong with having complicated mechanics, but you need to be able to explain them well to the player.

Anyway, I do hope you continue working on the game. It has potential. However, I would urge you to pull away from complexity and go towards communicating mechanics properly. Also, as another note, “number go up” gameplay will wear thin if there isn’t something else interesting holding it up, there is only so much a number can go up before it starts to be meaningless.
Tier 1 breaks happen when a Chosen uses a tactic to reduce the amount of circumstance damage they're taking. This happens when a Chosen thinks they'll reach 10k circumstance damage, usually because you're doing a lot of damage and have several rounds left on your surround. Trauma doesn't play into breaks.

You actually need 100 Angst to start generating EE and Angst is generated by unresolved Trauma, which 200 is the first magic number on that.

The difference between damage and circumstance, is that damage is all encompassing while circumstance is a type of damage. The types of damage are Trauma, and Circumstance. Trauma is what your basic actions affect (Fear, Disg, Pain, Sham) and Circumstance is what you deal to Chosen when they're Surrounded/Captured by a Commander (Hate, Plea, Inju/Anti, Expo).

If you'd like I can give you some in depth advice if you'd like to get a better grasp on the game. =)

Reactions: KordNTR

Aparty

Mar 9, 2018
Question: When a chosen's turn ends on round one and they do 6% to evacuation and extermination, the round ends there at 6%. Then, as it shows the beginning of round 2, it says there is 26% evacuation and 16% extermination. What is happening between the end of round 1 and beginning of 2? I just finished the tutorial and reading the guide. I don't think I missed anything, but it was a lot of info, so maybe.

BerglorMan94

Apr 10, 2021
Question: When a chosen's turn ends on round one and they do 6% to evacuation and extermination, the round ends there at 6%. Then, as it shows the beginning of round 2, it says there is 26% evacuation and 16% extermination. What is happening between the end of round 1 and beginning of 2? I just finished the tutorial and reading the guide. I don't think I missed anything, but it was a lot of info, so maybe.
If there are Chosen who aren't surrounded, the Extermination percentage goes up. The 6% you saw was extra extermination damage from whatever action the Chosen used. To stop Extermination Percentage from increasing all of the Chosen have to be Surrounded/Captured.

Hit me up if you need any assistance, bruv! =D

Reactions: Aparty

tpk

Aug 24, 2018
I really wanted to like this game because it hits all my kinks, but honestly the early player experience is restrictively bad. Everything I need to know is so obfuscated and not particularly well documented or presented in game. I feel like I need a math degree to understand the core mechanics as there are so modifiers that are just about them going up and with very little feedback on how you are going (this coming from someone who plays dwarf fortress in its original ASCII). Even after following the tutorial and the guides people have posted here, I am yet to get a single break (even after getting the girls to hit 1k+ trauma in all 4 not a single one broke, so either I am not understanding what needs to happen, or something else is going on in the code, either way not a good experience). The game itself never explains that getting 200+ circumstance on a girl is important to gather EE and it never actually tells you the proper requirements to break T1’s.

One thing that really threw me early on is that there is not really a unifying method on which the mechanics work operate. Each one seems to have its own complexity that doesn’t really mesh well with the others. Take for example:

HATE: x2 all damage per level, or x4 for FEAR

PLEA: x4 all traumas per level, or x8 for DISG

INJU: x3 all circumstances per level, also x2 PAIN

EXPO: x2 all ally circumstance damage per level, also x2 own SHAM

Now ask your players if they are able to remember the above when making plans. What is the difference between damage and circumstances? There is nothing wrong with having complicated mechanics, but you need to be able to explain them well to the player.

Anyway, I do hope you continue working on the game. It has potential. However, I would urge you to pull away from complexity and go towards communicating mechanics properly. Also, as another note, “number go up” gameplay will wear thin if there isn’t something else interesting holding it up, there is only so much a number can go up before it starts to be meaningless.
I think that is a bad example because you can see what getting a level does even if you didn't read the doc.txt

also, yes, many players do remember that because they simplify it.

I do agree that there are mechanics that are not explained in the doc.txt (tier 1 corruption as an example, btw it happens when they are in danger of getting to 10k+, so about 5k or so)

I hope that I'm not sounding like I'm giving you shit.

by how are you talking, you might be expecting progression each day, I have to say that's not how it works as each tier make the chosen more vulnerable.

Now, one of the biggest errors that some players make is that they try to be constant and/or focusing one at a time.

If you have questions, ask away, there is no shame in asking.

Reactions: Kalloi

KordNTR

Aug 7, 2017
Hey, me being thoroughly confused is a good enough example of why I personally think it isn't working. I think the issue then becomes that the game is forcing you to play a certain way to get progress. Anyway, even with what BerglorMan94 explained to me (which helped a bit, honestly have someone like him write the guide.txt) I still found the issues quite insurmountable for my own enjoyment of the game. The game seems to present itself as a sandbox "how am I going to corrupt these heroines given their stats" kind of game but once you scratch the surface it turns out to be more of a puzzle game of "did you work out the only correct way to corrupt these heroines". You need to work out exactly how to snowball or else you are going to have a bad time. Also we need to talk about how buying commanders is a bit borked for new players, it seems like the only way you will ever find out if it is a good idea is if you save scum each turn and try to work out if you can actually get to 10k circ this turn... which isn't super engaging game design.

Again, I am not saying these things just to put the game down, I think the game has a good base but this is just how I am feeling as a new player. I honestly can't think of a game on F95Zone that has made me have less fun because I am pulling my hair out trying to work out the systems involved.

Edit: also the offers for help are very much appreciated but it shouldn't be up to the community to make a game understandable, it should be up to the designer.

BerglorMan94

Apr 10, 2021
I forgot to mention that Evacuation goes up every round whether the Chosen are Surrounded/Captured or not! Evacuation reduces the amount that Extermination % increases every round.

BerglorMan94

Apr 10, 2021
Hey, me being thoroughly confused is a good enough example of why I personally think it isn't working. I think the issue then becomes that the game is forcing you to play a certain way to get progress. Anyway, even with what BerglorMan94 explained to me (which helped a bit, honestly have someone like him write the guide.txt) I still found the issues quite insurmountable for my own enjoyment of the game. The game seems to present itself as a sandbox "how am I going to corrupt these heroines given their stats" kind of game but once you scratch the surface it turns out to be more of a puzzle game of "did you work out the only correct way to corrupt these heroines". You need to work out exactly how to snowball or else you are going to have a bad time. Also we need to talk about how buying commanders is a bit borked for new players, it seems like the only way you will ever find out if it is a good idea is if you save scum each turn and try to work out if you can actually get to 10k circ this turn... which isn't super engaging game design.

Again, I am not saying these things just to put the game down, I think the game has a good base but this is just how I am feeling as a new player. I honestly can't think of a game on F95Zone that has made me have less fun because I am pulling my hair out trying to work out the systems involved.

Edit: also the offers for help are very much appreciated but it shouldn't be up to the community to make a game understandable, it should be up to the designer.
I'm sorry you're getting so frustrated, and honestly I understand. Heck, now that I'm trying to corrupt my first Superior Chosen I've had a couple moments like that XD
This game has a wall that must be overcome before you can really get into the meat and potatoes of figuring out how to corrupt each team of Chosen, and from what I've seen of people's comments here, and on the blogspot, I feel I've found one of the bigger reasons new players are struggling so much.

This game has a built in mechanic that will help so many new players with their runs, but everyone feels SCUMMY when they do it. Make a save before a big day, and reload it until you can either get the outcome you need, or decide you aren't prepped enough to refund your Commander and continue to accumulate EE. Save "Scumming" is an integral part of succeeding in this game, and newer player's feel guilty for doing it. Just think of it this way: The powers of a Demon Lord are vast. It's not outside of the realm of possibility that Time Manipulation is under their list of powers.

Now that my mini rant is out of the way... Yes, Corrupted Saviors is less of a Sandbox and more of a Puzzle game. There isn't one specific way to approach each team, but there are most definitely a large number of wrong ways. Sometimes what you want to do with your team of Chosen won't work because of how their stats are (I'm looking at you, my first Superior Chosen. I wanted so badly to Tempt you... And you spawn with Core PLEA and EXPO?! D=<). So don't be afraid to reload your saves to see if you're even able to get a break on a Chosen, and be prepared to try out different approaches for the same day to see if you can do better. If that doesn't appeal to you... Theres always Cheat mode! Get yourself a fully upgraded Commander day 1 and go to town! The writing for this game is good. The gameplay is niche, though. I banged my head against a wall for my second play through until I broke through said wall, and understood the basic mechanics by using the Guide.txt religiously every fight. That said, that was on like build 13, and the mechanics have changed since then, making it (IMO) harder for someone unfamiliar with the mechanics to break through that wall.

Anyways, IDK how coherent this is, I've been drinking tonight, so I'll end this with THIS: I love everyone who's tried this game, and if you guys want to try to get into it I'm always willing to help! I love helping people get over (or through) that learning wall.

Ragsmu

May 22, 2018
Hit me up if you need any assistance, bruv! =D
Not to me but i will take you up on that. I am kinda confused on a lot of stuff.
1) EP progression. Against team of 3 i usually can get 3 points but that's abut that. though farthest i gone in is around 15-20 days.
2) Core breaking. lets say it is injury. And girl is fully imune to injury. how do i go about it? So far i managed to us 10 point commander with improved injury modifier to brutforce 2 captures and get hert to 1000 for a first break but thats that.
3) also cant figure target prioritization. Focus one? swap around kinda hard to find a pattern.

DoomSatan

Aug 12, 2017
its my firtst time posting here, so to start, Thanks CSdev for making this amazing game. Best thing i found on this website ever! And also thanks to BerglorMan94 for all the help, especially your day 1-15 play helped me get over the initial learning wall.
Now to my question, are there already any player-made portraits around? Especially with portraits that look a bit older?
And will there eventually be like multiple sets of non-randomly generated Choosen we can select? like a set where all Choosen you can encounter are DC/Marvel-Superheroines, with fixed personalities and apperance. Or maybe just a way to implement player-made character packs like this? I am thinking like for the oldschool trainer games like brothel king?

Kalloi

Mar 20, 2019
its my firtst time posting here, so to start, Thanks CSdev for making this amazing game. Best thing i found on this website ever! And also thanks to BerglorMan94 for all the help, especially your day 1-15 play helped me get over the initial learning wall.
Now to my question, are there already any player-made portraits around? Especially with portraits that look a bit older?
And will there eventually be like multiple sets of non-randomly generated Choosen we can select? like a set where all Choosen you can encounter are DC/Marvel-Superheroines, with fixed personalities and apperance. Or maybe just a way to implement player-made character packs like this? I am thinking like for the oldschool trainer games like brothel king?
Currently I don't think so, maybe in a few months (or weeks if we're lucky) people will start making some packs and such. Right now I'm making a portrait pack, as in like designing and drawing assets from scratch, but it's in an anime-kind of style so idk if it would appeal to you, if you want I can post a preview of one of the characters and you can see if it's your thing! :D

And to your other question, there is an export feature where people can make teams with custom appearances and personalities, I believe CSdev said they will update the customization options eventually, but idk if there's anything planned to customize the naming/personality pool for a game, although that's a really good idea I have to say, I would also like something like that in the future if it isn't too difficult to implement :D

Kalloi

Mar 20, 2019
Not to me but i will take you up on that. I am kinda confused on a lot of stuff.
1) EP progression. Against team of 3 i usually can get 3 points but that's abut that. though farthest i gone in is around 15-20 days.
2) Core breaking. lets say it is injury. And girl is fully imune to injury. how do i go about it? So far i managed to us 10 point commander with improved injury modifier to brutforce 2 captures and get hert to 1000 for a first break but thats that.
3) also cant figure target prioritization. Focus one? swap around kinda hard to find a pattern.
1) To start getting more EE you need to start breaking vulnerabilities, making rivalries/friendships/ and building angst. Luckily they all play into each other so doing one will help in accomplishing the other two. Once you break 1-2 vulnerabilites on a chosen and have a good amount of angst built up, they should be giving around two EE and from there you just need to keep breaking vulnerabilities and try to break some core ones to invoke a rivalry or a friendship depending on how far corrupted the other chosen is in their minor vulnerabilities. lmk if you need more specific answers and I will be happy to answer!

2) Usually if injury is their core that means one or two of the other vulnerabilities are minor, meaning you should target those and do what you can to get the ball rolling and go from there.

i.e- if the chosen has confidence/injury as their core but also has HATE as a minor then try targeting their hate and use the multipliers from it to transition into raising INJU

i.e if the chosen has confidence/injury as their core but also has pleasure as a minor, try raising that to get some big multipliers on trauma to get bigger surrond turns, just make sure not to go to far since high trauma negatively impact circumstance damages like INJU

Another option is to use a specialty commander to warm up a chosen before you try to get what you're really after. using my first example if I used Hunger (the anger based commander) with 3-4 turns and start with an ambush then that chosen is probably going to come out of that with some heavy hate and with those multipliers I can aim for INJU with another surround or try to build up from there

Alternatively with a INJU specialty commander (Anger) you can save it for the last moment before you know the battle will be over and use it on your target as a last ditch effort to raise INJU after you spent most of the battle getting her ready for this moment.

Using EXPO from another chosen is just as important as some of the examples I mentioned so keep that in mind as well, overall there are wayy more options than the one's I mentioned but I hope they're able to help you out somehow! :D

3)And the last question varies as well but I will say it's ultimately up to your objective for that day. If your goal is to break the core confidence of the chosen you brought up, then look at the other chosen and see how they can work in your goal of breaking confidence.

-Does one other chosen has a minor vulnerability in EXPO? then you can target her in the beginning to get a starting multiplier and from there you can focus on your true target and even better is to keep using that one with the minor EXPO to bounce multiplier back and forth between the two

-Is one of your chosen really corrupted and starting to get in the way of your target with their special moves? then you have to keep her in mind and surround her while still focusing on the chosen you're actually aiming for.

Basically I look at three things when I'm playing this game:

1. the short term objectives I'm aiming for: ie. breaking chosen's core vulnerabiliy, making chosen become friendly, raising EE, going for a "tempt"

2. long term objectives I'm trying to do for this run/campaign: ie. How much do I want to corrupt these chosen? Do I want to have one or two of them tempted all the way? Do I just want to get a victory.

3. The beginning situation and current situation: ie. what chosen have hard core vulnerabilities and easy vulnerabilities? Do they have some vulnerabilities already broken? How early or late will they arrive when I target this chosen?

I'm sorry If my answer was a long-winded and abstract and shit but I hope boiling down my thought process helped answer your question and anyone else's if possible.

Either way I hope anything I said helps and hope your run goes alright! :D

Reactions: Ragsmu and tpk

BerglorMan94

Apr 10, 2021
Currently I don't think so, maybe in a few months (or weeks if we're lucky) people will start making some packs and such. Right now I'm making a portrait pack, as in like designing and drawing assets from scratch, but it's in an anime-kind of style so idk if it would appeal to you, if you want I can post a preview of one of the characters and you can see if it's your thing! :D

And to your other question, there is an export feature where people can make teams with custom appearances and personalities, I believe CSdev said they will update the customization options eventually, but idk if there's anything planned to customize the naming/personality pool for a game, although that's a really good idea I have to say, I would also like something like that in the future if it isn't too difficult to implement :D
I'd love to see a preview of your assets. =)

Kalloi

Mar 20, 2019
I'd love to see a preview of your assets. =)
Sure! :D

This is one of the characters, I designed her as the normal "blue" personality that you encounter in the game usually, the pure ones. I just finished designing a variation of her as well! And the way I chose to design the portraits was to make it easy to change hair styles and outfits since people would most definitely have descriptions that might not line with the characters I designed

This is her base form, civillian outfit and forsaken outfit
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

And this is her superior form along with superior forsaken design!

Oh and a quick look at red also if you want!
I'm not a A-tier artist but I hope you and everyone else like the designs :D Ty for taking a look and asking about it!

Kalloi

Mar 20, 2019

This is one of the characters, I designed her as the normal "blue" personality that you encounter in the game usually, the pure ones. I just finished designing a variation of her as well! And the way I chose to design the portraits was to make it easy to change hair styles and outfits since people would most definitely have descriptions that might not line with the characters I designed

I'm not a A-tier artist but I hope you and everyone else like the designs :D Ty for taking a look and asking about it!
Currently blue is completely finished from chosen to forsaken and superior so I'm just working on variation of her that uses twin tails and a knight outfit.

Red is almost finished I only need to do the colors for a few of her expressions in Superior Forsaken form and a few civillian expressions that changes depending on if she's a forsaken/superior forsaken

Wild Green has her chosen form finished and I'm working on the colors of the civillian expressions along with her superior form. I'm still thinking about the color scheme of her forsaken and superior forsaken but baby steps!

Once I finish her I'll upload what I've done so far so that way people can have at least 3 completed chosen in their game!

tpk

Aug 24, 2018
I'm sorry you're getting so frustrated, and honestly I understand. Heck, now that I'm trying to corrupt my first Superior Chosen I've had a couple moments like that XD
This game has a wall that must be overcome before you can really get into the meat and potatoes of figuring out how to corrupt each team of Chosen, and from what I've seen of people's comments here, and on the blogspot, I feel I've found one of the bigger reasons new players are struggling so much.

This game has a built in mechanic that will help so many new players with their runs, but everyone feels SCUMMY when they do it. Make a save before a big day, and reload it until you can either get the outcome you need, or decide you aren't prepped enough to refund your Commander and continue to accumulate EE. Save "Scumming" is an integral part of succeeding in this game, and newer player's feel guilty for doing it. Just think of it this way: The powers of a Demon Lord are vast. It's not outside of the realm of possibility that Time Manipulation is under their list of powers.

Now that my mini rant is out of the way... Yes, Corrupted Saviors is less of a Sandbox and more of a Puzzle game. There isn't one specific way to approach each team, but there are most definitely a large number of wrong ways. Sometimes what you want to do with your team of Chosen won't work because of how their stats are (I'm looking at you, my first Superior Chosen. I wanted so badly to Tempt you... And you spawn with Core PLEA and EXPO?! D=<). So don't be afraid to reload your saves to see if you're even able to get a break on a Chosen, and be prepared to try out different approaches for the same day to see if you can do better. If that doesn't appeal to you... Theres always Cheat mode! Get yourself a fully upgraded Commander day 1 and go to town! The writing for this game is good. The gameplay is niche, though. I banged my head against a wall for my second play through until I broke through said wall, and understood the basic mechanics by using the Guide.txt religiously every fight. That said, that was on like build 13, and the mechanics have changed since then, making it (IMO) harder for someone unfamiliar with the mechanics to break through that wall.

Anyways, IDK how coherent this is, I've been drinking tonight, so I'll end this with THIS: I love everyone who's tried this game, and if you guys want to try to get into it I'm always willing to help! I love helping people get over (or through) that learning wall.
The mini-rant about your superior chosen reminded me about mine, it was completely the other way around, I had to temp her because I couldn't break injury and hate (in fact, I never raised hate beyond level 1, it was so dumb)

Seeing that rizldiz3l already posted a good answer, let me give some more information to complement.

1) trauma (pain, shame, fear, disgust) also helps building up EE, plus it also adds a tiny bit of damage as it gets higher (when looking at the chosen profile check where it says angst). so while you don't have a clear objective (and you don't have a commander) try to stack as much trauma as you can.

2) remember that using a normal commander is also viable, as you may want to use it to increase EXPO or trying multiple chosen at the same time (the normal commander can be used right away after capturing with him). there are some basic combos that only require 2 turns per capture (use it as you see fit against their resistances):

- remember that each circumstance deals more damage to their respective trauma (expo to shame as an example) I will explain why this matter with the combos
- hate+plea to get constant capture opportunities, this essentially gives you a big multiplier for trauma and that makes it so you can count on every trauma to get another capture
- hate+inju a basic combo to try to rush things, it may not always work and you get only one chance to do a good capture (as pain only works once per level)
- Expo is overall good with everything, as long as you are going for it in all chosen. do know that expo+inju has it really hard at getting constant captures.
- inju+plea, weirdly enough this combo is as good as hate+plea, the reason is that although weaker in dealing general trauma it has higher damage in PAIN so it makes it easier to get at least another capture (and then change to inju+hate or plea+hate)

P.D: remember to save up for a commander with multiple turns and capture when you try to break something.

3) I got nothing new here, it depends.

tpk

Aug 24, 2018
about the superheroines part, I think it was said in his blog that they could a special type of chosen in the future

BerglorMan94

Apr 10, 2021

I like your style. They're all super cute! I'm excited to see them when they're all done. =D

• Red Heart

BerglorMan94

Apr 10, 2021
If you've got the time, you could always find pictures of your favorite Super Heroines and crop out a bust shot for the different facial expressions. The portrait system is fairly wide open on what you can do with it. If you want details on how to actually implement your own pictures for your Chosen you can find that info on the Subscribestar! (Link on the OP for this thread)

Kalloi

Mar 20, 2019
I like your style. They're all super cute! I'm excited to see them when they're all done. =D
ty! I'm glad you liked the designs, I don't know if people will use my pack very often but I hope the ones who do will like the variety :D. And if you have any idea for a design feel free to lmk I came up with around 12 or so designs already and they're 49 slots in the game for random names so... a lot of room XD

Ragsmu

May 22, 2018
Either way I hope anything I said helps and hope your run goes alright! :D
Seeing that rizldiz3l already posted a good answer, let me give some more information to complement.

Thanx guys, i got at least some new info out of it though things are still quite confusing. And i do appreciate your long answers - those are good.

Just to try my understanding current trio i am working on is
Reaper FEAR/HATE 0/4 DISG/PLEA 3/1 PAIN/INJU 4/0 SHAM/EXPO 2/2 Dual Core Fore INJU and PLEA
Mirage FEAR/HATE 2/2 DISG/PLEA 0/4 PAIN/INJU 2/5 SHAM/EXPO 4/0 EXPO core
Freedom FEAR/HATE 4/0 DISG/PLEA 2/2 PAIN/INJU 2/2 SHAM/EXPO 0/4 HATE Core

My main target is Reaper So i am trying to work around it. Early upgrades that i am getting are all of those that extend battle for now.
Trying to form strategy. so far i was going in for quick hit on Reaper (she have round 7/8 support so there is time to play) and try to go pain=>surround=>grind in 3 turn and then try to go past 100 on all other traumas inb4 catching freedom for quick expo break which usually let me surround Reper for 2nd time. but thats about it. results of that combo are not that high. Commanders are still not in the picture due to me rushing all things that extend battle up to nurseries and collaborators. Points income is still 3 per turn. So if you be so kind give me some practical examples to work with for this team, maybe i will understand some stuff better by application

Last edited:
3.80 star(s) 54 Votes