McHuman

Nov 8, 2019
We do, though: A standard Chosen takes away 1 Influence, a Superior takes away 2, Undead/Animalistic subtract 3, and Angel/Devils subtract 4. The code line that calculates the influence value of your next city is just this:

Code:
(w.nextCities[n]).influence = w.influence + baseGain + lowest - influencePenalty[n];
w.influence is your current influence
baseGain is a constant that was set to 10
lowest is the lowest among the two cities' influence penalties (just the sum of their species modifiers)
influencePenalty[n] is the influence penalty of this particular city (again, the sum of their species modifiers)

In a later line, the item is chosen and that value is subtracted from nextCities[n].influence. Another few lines handle the subtraction of any items gained by warping past an odd-numbered Loop.
Hence why I said as far as I was aware, I don't dive into the code and if this was discussed here before I just didn't see it.

Omicronzeta

Nov 14, 2017
We do, though: A standard Chosen takes away 1 Influence, a Superior takes away 2, Undead/Animalistic subtract 3, and Angel/Devils subtract 4. The code line that calculates the influence value of your next city is just this:

Code:
(w.nextCities[n]).influence = w.influence + baseGain + lowest - influencePenalty[n];
w.influence is your current influence
baseGain is a constant that was set to 10
lowest is the lowest among the two cities' influence penalties (just the sum of their species modifiers)
influencePenalty[n] is the influence penalty of this particular city (again, the sum of their species modifiers)

In a later line, the item is chosen and that value is subtracted from nextCities[n].influence. Another few lines handle the subtraction of any items gained by warping past an odd-numbered Loop.
Damage Mitigation, Preparedness, and Luxuries don't affect difficulty/influence? that doesn't make much seance.

SuperSkippy

Oct 25, 2017
Display glitch:
Damage Mitigation, Preparedness, and Luxuries don't affect difficulty/influence? that doesn't make much seance.
They do affect Difficulty, but from what I can see, they don't affect Influence. If I'm missing something in this calculation I'll find out as I play this campaign, with the Despair distortion. My view comes from within jdgui, so I'm putting things together without comments and other explainers.

---
CSdev I have a (possibly display, possibly game-affecting) bug with the Despair distortion, or perhaps undocumented intended behavior? I started with one Chosen set on Temptation and two set on Aversion, and achieved those Distortions (getting the level 1 Aversion achievement). After I achieved those distortions, I deliberately broke the no-no vulnerabilities for the Temptation and one of the Aversion Chosen, and set those two Chosen on the Despair plan. Something in this process messed up the third one who was set on Aversion and had achieved the Orgy to get that. The summary screen still shows her locked into Aversion:
1720041793681.png

The summary screen, though, shows her set on Despair (but still shows that she can be defeated through Aversion):
1720041873574.png

Additionally the Forsaken Preview shows her as though defeated with Despair, when I'm most interested in her Aversion stats:

1720041960919.png

I think it's just a display bug. It's standard for Forsaken that are "locked in" to a distortion path to not be changeable, but something is reporting that she's locked into both Aversion and Despair.

Save file attached:

CSdev

Game Developer
Oct 14, 2020
speaking of bugs, I'm finding one too. could be related to either cheats or single-play mode, but trying splendor's single-play the game crashes when I leave a fight where the second chosen appears, either retreating or full extermination both freeze

works just fine if I keep surrounding them until splendor shows up for some reason though
View attachment 3790819
got bug on loop 2 on new campaign. after the second chosen come and the fight over it just blank like this.
Thanks for the bug report. This should be fixed in R55b, which you can get from my site.
No saves whatsoever, this was a fresh download of version 55 with no modifications or anything. The game also hung when I tried to do a Single Play Splendor fight: after the introduction of the second magical girl, the continue button didn't do anything.
My best guess is that there's something about your computer's settings which is slowing down the process of the game checking to see which save files are in its folder. Cutting down on unnecessary save file checks is one of the coding improvements I want to work on at some point.
one thing, so if I want a tempted undead, I should break only the vulnerabilities for the tempt right? or they come with ALL vulnerabilities broken?
Their T1 and T2 Breaks will be the same as they were when they were alive. T3 Breaks are reset (and if any Total Breaks have happened, then they won't be eligible to come back as Undead). Furthermore, they also keep any Distortions that were inflicted upon them while they were alive.
Damage mitigation, preparedness, luxuries, and Chosen species all contribute to the difficulty score. The difficulty score between the two cities is always the same. However, advanced species Chosen make you stronger in future cities, while the other difficulty modifiers don't do anything at all for you. In order to make up for that difference, cities with fewer advanced species Chosen provide a bit more Influence.
Display glitch:

They do affect Difficulty, but from what I can see, they don't affect Influence. If I'm missing something in this calculation I'll find out as I play this campaign, with the Despair distortion. My view comes from within jdgui, so I'm putting things together without comments and other explainers.

---
CSdev I have a (possibly display, possibly game-affecting) bug with the Despair distortion, or perhaps undocumented intended behavior? I started with one Chosen set on Temptation and two set on Aversion, and achieved those Distortions (getting the level 1 Aversion achievement). After I achieved those distortions, I deliberately broke the no-no vulnerabilities for the Temptation and one of the Aversion Chosen, and set those two Chosen on the Despair plan. Something in this process messed up the third one who was set on Aversion and had achieved the Orgy to get that. The summary screen still shows her locked into Aversion:
View attachment 3795981

The summary screen, though, shows her set on Despair (but still shows that she can be defeated through Aversion):
View attachment 3795983

Additionally the Forsaken Preview shows her as though defeated with Despair, when I'm most interested in her Aversion stats:

View attachment 3795986

I think it's just a display bug. It's standard for Forsaken that are "locked in" to a distortion path to not be changeable, but something is reporting that she's locked into both Aversion and Despair.

Save file attached:
Thanks for the bug report. As you suspected, this is just a display bug. It's normally impossible to set a Distortion plan for someone who's already on a Distortion, but the button to set a Chosen on the Despair Distortion also sets her allies to the same plan, and I forgot to have that process skip any Chosen who are already on another Distortion. Fortunately, because the Distortion plan setting doesn't actually change how any of the gameplay mechanics resolve, this shouldn't actually break anything other than the Vulnerability display and the Forsaken Preview button.

• Red Heart
Reactions: Kalloi

Omicronzeta

Nov 14, 2017
Ha now I want the ability to purposefully let heroines escape at the end of the loop so the daemon king can go "Curses foiled again! I'll get you next time!" alla the 80's cartoon show trope. The team becomes a recursing fight as the heroines improve after recovering from their ordeals, and the overall, and you get an increased bonus for the number of times you spared them....

Eh probably too hard to code, but a man can dream.

McHuman

Nov 8, 2019
Ha now I want the ability to purposefully let heroines escape at the end of the loop so the daemon king can go "Curses foiled again! I'll get you next time!" alla the 80's cartoon show trope. The team becomes a recursing fight as the heroines improve after recovering from their ordeals, and the overall, and you get an increased bonus for the number of times you spared them....

Eh probably too hard to code, but a man can dream.
Probably less "hard to code" and more "doesn't work with the lore". If I remember correctly Crown has the Chosen who flee from the Final Battle sacrificed, also even without Crown any T4 MOR broken Chosen would be executed by the military anyways to avoid them giving birth.

Celerarity

Apr 23, 2018
That, plus the heroines aren't really trying to 'escape'. They want to kill you, and if they can get free long enough to do it they will. They'll even kill each other to speed up the clock if they aren't attached enough to their team.

Omicronzeta

Nov 14, 2017
The addition of Reign should be interesting.

so we have boss fights at
lvl 7 reign
lvl 11 victory or splendor
lvl 14 reign
lvl 16 (victory or judgement) or (splendor or love)
lvl 21 ?

Loop 21 is where things get interesting, will we have reign joining whichever of the four bosses remain? Will be have the choice of three cities each with one boss? or will we just randomly get two of the three unlocked bosses.

McHuman

Nov 8, 2019
Speaking of the new post, just my personal feedback to CSDev regarding the static characters. Personally I feel like if you're going to make static boss characters they should be significant. Yeah we like the customization and and personal stories independent from the game itself, but there is still an overarching story in the game and the bosses are relevant to that, so the static boss characters should be significant and get their own special personalized stuff like unique scenes interacting with them. Like... these static bosses are the only opportunity to do something like that in this game and the bosses are already important, might as well commit to that as long as it doesn't negatively effect development.

SuperSkippy

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the bug report. As you suspected, this is just a display bug. It's normally impossible to set a Distortion plan for someone who's already on a Distortion, but the button to set a Chosen on the Despair Distortion also sets her allies to the same plan, and I forgot to have that process skip any Chosen who are already on another Distortion. Fortunately, because the Distortion plan setting doesn't actually change how any of the gameplay mechanics resolve, this shouldn't actually break anything other than the Vulnerability display and the Forsaken Preview button.
Thanks for the confirmation. After seeing that I played further in and saw Banner go back to standard after performing a Total MOR break on her, which is exactly what one would expect: the bugged extra Distortion Plan was removed once she no longer met the requirements.

SuperSkippy

Oct 25, 2017
I'll update this post with confirmation of my findings, but as CSDev said, Influence is only affected by the Species of the chosen city.

This is a non-Warping run so it'll be easy to compare.

Loop 2: 10 Influence (both cities)
Loop 3: 5 influence + Executor Drone (15 inf) = 20 influence [SELECTED] OR
5 influence + Reason's Pantsu (15 inf) = 20 influence
Loop 4: (warp earned not taken): both cities have 15 Influence (30 total with item),
warp offers 14 Influence (10 + 2 (superior) + 1 (standard) + 1(standard))
Loop 5: 18 Inf + Egregore Stabilizer (7) + Executor Drone (15) = 40 Influence (1 Undead 2 Standard) [SELECTED] OR
13 Inf + Splendor's Pantsu (12) + Executor Drone (15) = 40 Influence (1 Animalistic 2 Standard)

Last edited:

Sonsuka

Aug 29, 2017
Adding to the new post as well. I'm down for more customization after the new boss is done. I think a "traditional visual novel-style sex scenes. " would be interesting; however, the payout of having to do specific things or getting deep into a run does feel like something that could be help off for couple updates to help improve the customization which everyone would be able to enjoy at anypoint of time where it be that you get random Chosen deeper in loop and making Chosen before the campaign even starts.

D4rkPMK

Sep 12, 2020
I love this game, but I feel that more than a "learning curve" what it has is a vertical wall that you have to climb by hand.

fenyx

Jun 16, 2017
I love this game, but I feel that more than a "learning curve" what it has is a vertical wall that you have to climb by hand.
In truth the game punishes you for 2 things
-Doing always the same thing
-Using evil energy inefectually

Doing always the same thing is mitigated a little by the fact that the chosen accumulates trauma, making them receive even more damage, and also making them generate a little more evil energy.

But there is not really that much of a big learning curve: You must hit some numbers called levels, you do that by increasing every other number, that is it

McHuman

Nov 8, 2019

Doing always the same thing is mitigated a little by the fact that the chosen accumulates trauma, making them receive even more damage, and also making them generate a little more evil energy.

But there is not really that much of a big learning curve: You must hit some numbers called levels, you do that by increasing every other number, that is it
Maybe for the first couple loops, but beyond Loop 2 or 3 you will hit a wall where you have to learn how to build Forsaken as by loop 3 or 4 the modifiers and Superior Chosen will make relying on Commanders ineffective, and learning how you should build Forsaken is a lot more complicated than basically every other system in the game. I definitely wouldn't say the learning curve is vertical as you'll generally have Loop 2 to figure out Forsaken, and Loop 3 if you don't pick the city with the Superior Chosen, so you'll have time to work on figuring things out before you hit that wall, but an inexperienced player will almost certainly lose to their first loop with non-basic Chosen if they haven't managed to learn Forsaken training and make decent Forsaken yet.

fenyx

Jun 16, 2017
Maybe for the first couple loops, but beyond Loop 2 or 3 you will hit a wall where you have to learn how to build Forsaken as by loop 3 or 4 the modifiers and Superior Chosen will make relying on Commanders ineffective, and learning how you should build Forsaken is a lot more complicated than basically every other system in the game. I definitely wouldn't say the learning curve is vertical as you'll generally have Loop 2 to figure out Forsaken, and Loop 3 if you don't pick the city with the Superior Chosen, so you'll have time to work on figuring things out before you hit that wall, but an inexperienced player will almost certainly lose to their first loop with non-basic Chosen if they haven't managed to learn Forsaken training and make decent Forsaken yet.
Just leave the superior for last and you can do it without the forsaken
Frankly it depends, superior with minor dignity are easy because you will pick them as a second and they will stack damage for the moment you decide to break them

McHuman

Nov 8, 2019
Just leave the superior for last and you can do it without the forsaken
Frankly it depends, superior with minor dignity are easy because you will pick them as a second and they will stack damage for the moment you decide to break them
It's possible I didn't say it wasn't, but not for inexperienced players, and even if they did pull it off that would just be pushing the wall back a couple loops. Eventually they'll be forced into a loop with 2 non-basic Chosen which will be nigh impossible for them without Forsaken.

SuperSkippy

Oct 25, 2017
You're not the only one to feel that way. Most people don't have a strong understanding of how exponential growth works, so it's not very intuitive that if you want a Chosen to orgasm, you'll need to also need to beat her up and strip her friend's clothes off.

Accurate (for Loop 1/ Single Play). I'd add to that "the game rewards you for first reaching new levels of Circumstance damage, and after that for reaching new levels of Trauma damage."

Part of the warp item rebalancing made both Loop 3 Cities have Superior Chosen in them (so that players who want to warp can still choose between two items). I would say that you don't need good Forsaken until Loop 5, if you have a solid grasp on how Commanders work. And I'd agree that this is one of the more opaque systems in the game--most people just need to know how to build something that's "good enough" before they start seeing how the system interplays.

3.80 star(s) 55 Votes