Blorgh

Apr 7, 2018
More than half in fact. Ceirtainly in Russian speaking countries it is the case. And I know what I'm talking about
When you don't use English frequently/on a day to day basis, it's very easy to fall into speech patterns where you almost try to translate things "word for word" from your native language to English.

Like, I know a fair bit of Japanese (not fluent, but enough to be able to read basic novels), and more than once have I read something written in English with weird grammar, thought "this sounds like Japanese", and then turned out to be correct, i.e. the writer turned out to indeed be Japanese (something I didn't know beforehand).

origeee

Feb 21, 2020
When you don't use English frequently/on a day to day basis, it's very easy to fall into speech patterns where you almost try to translate things "word for word" from your native language to English.

Like, I know a fair bit of Japanese (not fluent, but enough to be able to read basic novels), and more than once have I read something written in English with weird grammar, thought "this sounds like Japanese", and then turned out to be correct, i.e. the writer turned out to indeed be Japanese (something I didn't know beforehand).
Yeah. but I mean majority of the world's population don't use English at all. Like during their whole lifetime

Blorgh

Apr 7, 2018
Yeah. but I mean majority of the world's population don't use English at all. Like during their whole lifetime
I'm not disagreeing with you, I'm reinforcing your point.

Now, there is a case to be made that non-native English speakers who speak English often speak it better than many native English speakers (I'd say I'm one of them).
But that's a selection issue: most non-native English speakers who speak English are people with higher levels of education.

Last edited:

origeee

Feb 21, 2020
I'm not disagreeing with you, I'm reinforcing your point.

Now, there is a case to be made that non-native English speakers who speak English often speak it better than many native English speakers (I'd say I'm one of them).
But that's a selection issue: most non-native English speakers who speak English are people with high levels of education.
The selection issue you pointed out applies in some regions like in my country. In lots of regions English is used as a lingua franca ( as a communication tool between speakers of different languages ) and in some countries like Netherlands and Scandinavian counties vast majority of population now understands English because of an American cultural domination

3.70 star(s) 201 Votes