Skandranon

Nov 28, 2016
Gonna have to hard disagree with you on Etheryn being anywhere close to best companion. If it wasn't for the illusion of choice yes absolutely but instead you are railroaded down a single path, and one many many people really do not like.
There's no illusion of choice. Some people convinced themselves something that was never going to happen in the first place was happening, and then got upset when it didn't happen.

And in any case, that's not a huge factor in if a character is good or not imo. Choices don't make a character good or bad, nether do the lack of them. The character we actually have is solid.

Wrynn13

Apr 11, 2018
There's no illusion of choice. Some people convinced themselves something that was never going to happen in the first place was happening, and then got upset when it didn't happen.

And in any case, that's not a huge factor in if a character is good or not imo. Choices don't make a character good or bad, nether do the lack of them. The character we actually have is solid.
There absolutely is, the character started out the most customizable of the companions. The only one you could even use TF items on, and whos personality was molded by how the champ treated them, and then Savin got lazy and passed off his trash character to a fanfic writer with only one path in mind and poof all that potential gone like a fart in the wind. The character is not solid, not good, and would be left to hang from a statue but the player is literally forced to use them to continue the story. Etheryn could have been one of if not the best characters in the game and is now ruined. They are the perfect representation of the game in that way, so much potential ruined.

Skandranon

Nov 28, 2016
There absolutely is, the character started out the most customizable of the companions. The only one you could even use TF items on, and whos personality was molded by how the champ treated them, and then Savin got lazy and passed off his trash character to a fanfic writer with only one path in mind and poof all that potential gone like a fart in the wind. The character is not solid, not good, and would be left to hang from a statue but the player is literally forced to use them to continue the story. Etheryn could have been one of if not the best characters in the game and is now ruined. They are the perfect representation of the game in that way, so much potential ruined.
Savin never passed Ryn to anyone. Alypia wrote a few scenes for Ryn, that's it. She never had and doesn't have any control over where Ryn goes.
Literally nothing about where Ryn has been headed has changed since the game started.

Savins fetish, that he's hung out loud amd proud for years, is d-girls and anal. He then made an anal focused d-girl.

Why would he ever plan for the ultimate endpoint for his personal fetish character to be to transform away from that?

tardford

Feb 26, 2019
Wow a lot of responses. I the character tbh. Also Dont think there is too much wrong with retreading same ground if they are good at it. And alliance of convenience for the guy pointing out shes a thug. Although dominant dick girl is pretty common already with Evelyn and the knight or whatever, whoa re not particulalry better then arona.

menatv

Dec 6, 2019
I like Arona. As mentioned before, her character makes sense to exist in this world.

And when you and your party encounter her and her gang, they're pretty darn honest about their intentions. They plan to pillage and rape your party. That's pretty much what they do.

At the same time though, I didn't really think she should have been made a companion. That didn't make sense. You help her become the tribal leader. Basically in charge of all of her tribal orcs. Why would she hang around with you at the Frost Hound? Unless.....you were a corrupted champion and basically did what she did earlier. That is rape and pillage everything in sight. But alas, we don't have corrupted paths in this game.

Still I do have her as a companion though a lot of the time. She is decently useful tank. She seems to crit a lot when in my party. But lorewise, I don't see why she would have been made a companion in the first place.

kiba945

Apr 20, 2018
Heya! I've done viv's quest but she doesnt seem to show up in the party list after I finished it, any clues on where she may be?

M0nte

Oct 4, 2020
This is my first time to play this game. How can I improve my level? I'm out of my XP limit
She is my third favorite companion and the only one, besides Ryn, that seems to posses some sort of forethought when it comes to feeling like fleshed out character.

Some people may complain that she feels somewhat out of place in a champions party with her being a rapist and all. But she only feels like that because non of the other companions really step out of "generic good guy" archetype, with the seeming exception being demon Viviane. Although I personally do not mind since the best RPG parties always have that renegade option, and Arona fits it nicely.

I love that she is a natural born sub. The dichotomy between her looks and overall demeanor with everyone else to how she is putty in our hands is delightful. And I do love the recent expansions on her relationship with the champion, especially since I can not wait to expirience the new mommy scene.
9/10
Her dominant route is bad.

V0RPAL1N

Sep 29, 2020
Alright, so as far as I played, I'm decently enjoying the game, Azzyran is best girl, but that's my bias towards bee girls talking, and mechanic wise, I would say the game's battle system is an improvement from the CoC 1, as far as CoC 1 fights were easy when you passed a bunch of time farming exp. Will come back to the game when it will get some kind of real ending. Instead of the "prologue/chapter 1" game that we have now. As for the Etheryn situation right now, ya know, I am not really into elves, so as far as I'm concerned, she's just a real good unit to take with that Death Hawk of hers, you know what they say, "more units equals dead quicker".
Just don't touch Azzyran (yes, I know there's this scene with the other knightess, just... I accept it. But don't do more. I'm serious.)

MoneyMan181

Sep 6, 2019
Just don't touch Azzyran (yes, I know there's this scene with the other knightess, just... I accept it. But don't do more. I'm serious.)
Word of advice: Don't give the Dawnsword to Liaden when you do the High Ground quest. It becomes very apparent Azzy cares more about her than the PC if you do.

Some people may complain that she feels somewhat out of place in a champions party with her being a rapist and all. But she only feels like that because non of the other companions really step out of "generic good guy" archetype, with the seeming exception being demon Viviane. Although I personally do not mind since the best RPG parties always have that renegade option, and Arona fits it nicely.
Actual RPGs have a good reason for the renegade to be in the party. In KOTOR Canderous joins for glory and live up to the Mandalorian legacy rather than being a bum ass merc. HK is there because while he wants to kill all meatbags, he's forced to follow your orders being a Droid and all.

What's Arona's reason? To save the world? Contrasts with her character. Because Kas might fuck her over later? Kinda a big what if and I doubt she'd care about turning into a demon since she already acts like one.

Also most renegades are usually charming or have at least some sort of moral code. Arona is just a terrible person. Sucks that Savin thinks killing and raping people is okay when she does it, seeing as how that's swept under the rug with no sign of redemption.

I'd argue that there wasn't really any forethought with her for these reasons. If anything, her "lover" scenes just seem like an afterthought as there isn't even a sliver of build up to them.

desmosome

Conversation Conqueror
Sep 5, 2018
It's been a while bros. Since the combat revamp has been out for a while, what is the concensus on it? I didn't play it after the changes yet, but it seems like a lot of complexity went out the window? For people who actually like RPG combat mechanics and team building, is the revamp an improvement?

M0nte

Oct 4, 2020
Word of advice: Don't give the Dawnsword to Liaden when you do the High Ground quest. It becomes very apparent Azzy cares more about her than the PC if you do.

Actual RPGs have a good reason for the renegade to be in the party. In KOTOR Canderous joins for glory and live up to the Mandalorian legacy rather than being a bum ass merc. HK is there because while he wants to kill all meatbags, he's forced to follow your orders being a Droid and all.

What's Arona's reason? To save the world? Contrasts with her character. Because Kas might fuck her over later? Kinda a big what if and I doubt she'd care about turning into a demon since she already acts like one.

Also most renegades are usually charming or have at least some sort of moral code. Arona is just a terrible person. Sucks that Savin thinks killing and raping people is okay when she does it, seeing as how that's swept under the rug with no sign of redemption.

I'd argue that there wasn't really any forethought with her for these reasons. If anything, her "lover" scenes just seem like an afterthought as there isn't even a sliver of build up to them.
Chieftain Arona is bored, likes you and her sister Hertha thinks that her excursions with you are a good way to build character for a day where she actually steps on the throne. Since Hertha is currently the one running the place.
Exiled one is double bored and aimless. So what else is she supposed to do.

And, I mean, once Arona joins you, she does stop doing those things. It doesn't erase that she did them, but it is up to you to choose if you like her enough to have her join.

I agree that there is not really any build up to her confession, but that is the case with other companions not named Cait or Quinn. I chuck it up to her liking us from begining and it is up to us to make it official. Much better than Briennes or Brints for example.

As for her personality... I like it. I find Sub Arona charming (in most aspects) and her pregnancy content is top tier. And her 4some with the rest of the orcs is great. So not much to complain.

Oct 10, 2021
So, I ran through their forum out of boredom/self hate and I found that one of their writers is making a Genie. It might be the worst Genie in existence, thanks to the fact you get nothing interesting out of it at all. Why even write a wish fulfillment character in a setting that explicitly hates it.

MoneyMan181

Sep 6, 2019
Chieftain Arona is bored, likes you and her sister Hertha thinks that her excursions with you are a good way to build character for a day where she actually steps on the throne. Since Hertha is currently the one running the place.
Exiled one is double bored and aimless. So what else is she supposed to do.
Seems like a really weak and flimsy reason if you ask me. Like they really couldn't come up with anything better than her being bored? Talk about lame. Still doesn't explain why the PC or anybody else would be okay with her joining the party unless they're corrupt.

And, I mean, once Arona joins you, she does stop doing those things. It doesn't erase that she did them, but it is up to you to choose if you like her enough to have her join.
The only reason she stops killing and raping is because she can't now. It's not like she can do it in town and if she did it to every enemy you come across, that'd be its own problem. She hasn't changed at all, so she'd just go right back to doing that shit.

This shouldn't be about liking her anyway, this should be about making a decent character. Jack from Mass Effect acts very similarly to Arona but that works way better because she has a reason to act the way she does and you get to explore her backstory and character. I'm not asking for even something of that level, I just want some reason to care about her besides something as contrived as the lover scenes.

agree that there is not really any build up to her confession, but that is the case with other companions not named Cait or Quinn.
I mean yeah but that's acting like I don't have a problem with that either. If random NPCs have better relationship progression than a companion, something is definitely wrong.

2.90 star(s) 104 Votes