EagleClass

Jul 3, 2020
So I have no way of playing CoC1 due to Flash Player being dead, and I heard that game had a dynamic character visualizer (mod) is there currently any project like that for CoC2?

atomicp

Feb 25, 2018
I'll be completely and total honest here. I don't think TheObserver is a bad writer per se. But he keeps on trying to reach beyond his own grasp.

What he really needs is an honest editor outside his hugbox. It shows badly.

As of right now he's firmly (and proudly) rooted on Mount Stupid, as explained by the Dunning-Kruger effect.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

I'll exemplify with a bit criticism of on this very short, specific scene fragment.
Kohaku's vag scene said:
"Her petite body trembles and squirms under you, wracked with pangs of desire; her already wet pussy is starting to drool in earnest, belly muscles clenching hungrily at the promise of concupiscence."
A good editor would spot that the use of wracked (destroyed), instead wrecked (sinking).

Is that a issue? Not by itself... but it becomes one, as this paragraph sentence continues, using as "trembles and squirms", "pangs" and "belly muscles clenching" it pretty much paints a picture of physical discomfort, instead of sexual desire.

Which makes me think that TheObserver himself must have realized this - that's why he tried to salvage it with his thesaurus, inserting a "concupiscence".

But that is also it's fucking wrong, since concupiscence means "longing and/or involuntary desire, usually sexual in nature", it's worsens a already confused and contradictory sentence with an (very) immersion breaker "big word".

Writing is not like figure skating, where flashier tricks are required to stand out. I mean, very skilled writers avoid flowery writing because it's troublesome to make it work.

---

I'll add two quotes from a (really good) book about writing, "How to not write a novel", by Howard Mittelmark and Sandra Newman:
"Nigel Tufnel in This Is Spinal Tap memorably pointed out that there is a fine line between clever and stupid. The harder you try to be clever, the more momentum you will have when you arrive at that line, and the less likely you are to notice when you cross it.
Beginning writers often believe that the true genius uses only words from the furthest reaches of the English language, the darkest recesses of the dictionary, the sort of words that cannot survive on their own in any natural environment.

Sorry; this is not writing. This is showing off, and nobody likes a show-off.

There are of course things you would write that you would not say in conversation ("I said, bewildered"), but words that draw attention to themselves by their rarity draw attention away from the story you are telling and remind the reader of the writer and his thesaurus. In a worst-case scenario, a game of ping-pong develops between the writer‘s thesaurus and the reader‘s dictionary.

When the reader has stopped to wonder at your delamificatious vocabulary, or, worse, when the reader has stopped because the word you‘ve used has no more meaning to him than a random ptliijnbvc of letters, the reader is not involved in your story.

This is not to say that you should write with one hand tied behind your back, making sure that you only use language accessible to a fifth grader. There is nothing wrong with making the occasional reader occasionally reach for the dictionary. However, the only legitimate reason to do that is if the word you have chosen is the best word to express the idea. Generally, saying "edifice" instead of "building" doesn‘t tell your reader anything more about the building; it tells the reader that you know the word edifice

organord

Jun 10, 2020
I feel you might be giving him too much credit, by assuming he realizes how darned unsexy much of his writing is, and tries to "salvage" it consciously.

I'm pretty sure he just uses big words because it makes him feel smarter, which means whatever he does is automatically good.
Looking at how the guy responds on the fenoxo forums, he's a pretentious douchewaffle.

Another thing that absolutely slays me is when he tries to write Japanese-sounding moans in English.
Yes, his kitsune knockoffs are basically wannabe-Japanese, but god that moaning is cringy to the point that my dick turns inside out.

atomicp

Feb 25, 2018
I feel you might be giving him too much credit, by assuming he realizes how darned unsexy much of his writing is, and tries to "salvage" it consciously.

I'm pretty sure he just uses big words because it makes him feel smarter, which means whatever he does is automatically good.
Looking at how the guy responds on the fenoxo forums, he's a pretentious douchewaffle.

Another thing that absolutely slays me is when he tries to write Japanese-sounding moans in English.
Yes, his kitsune knockoffs are basically wannabe-Japanese, but god that moaning is cringy to the point that my dick turns inside out.
TBF, I'm trying to look at his writings in the best possible light, ommiting the fucknozzleness of the the person behind.

Now... The writer himself?

A pretentious bag of shit with an overinflated ego on a soapbox, who only hides in places where he has the backing of mods and admins to shut people up.

---
Since I'm playing CoC2 again to check out all new content (last time I played, it was like, 0.2), the "tone" of 80% of those npcs who live in the Den of Foxes is something that's bothering me a LOT. I can feel the smugness dripping.

My character literally went thru the whole fucking den on a gauntlet and took everyone down on combat, but now the same character gets verbally abused by all those assholes npcs without even any chance of rebuttal?

I wished the game just let me kill them or something.

For me, the only non-grating npcs were the Sylvie rip-off (Rindo) and the oh-so-lower-class-peasant merchant (Kohaku).

Also, that "great-great-grandmother" thing is just extremely stupid .

Hopeless DIO

Aug 14, 2017
Same, I only do Kitsune stuff for Kiyoko but even her scenes can be a bit, “extra” bc of how TOBS writes her scenes but the basic character hits most of my kinks

gregers

Forum Fanatic
Dec 9, 2018
It’s closer to “my vision only” and will go out of his way to spite people that disagree, like making Kinu have daddy issues after a forced time skip when releasing Kiyoko or making the soldier kitsune hate you frame 1 for just existing
Heh. On my playthrough I freed Kiyoko almost immediately after Kinu was born, so she defaulted into her 'abandoned' persona because we hadn't had enough playdates or something. Bitch would you rather I'd left you in there for years just so we could play fetch?

Out of morbid curiosity I skimmed through their forums once and saw him defending his cod-Japanese kitsune because (I paraphrase from memory) "the Japanese are arrogant, insular racists anyway, so it makes sense that the kitsune would be as well." Real charmer, that lad.

For me, the only non-grating npcs were the Sylvie rip-off (Rindo) and the oh-so-lower-class-peasant merchant (Kohaku).
Honestly i only interact with the foxes cuz i enjoy fucking Kiyoko silly (as well as the merchant Kohaku) but i don't care much for everyone else...ok Rindo is nice, but everyone else i tend to just ignore.
Same, I only do Kitsune stuff for Kiyoko but even her scenes can be a bit, “extra” bc of how TOBS writes her scenes but the basic character hits most of my kinks
Kiyoko is ... fine, I guess. Overwritten, but still passable. And yeah Rindo's a hoary cliché, but her and Kohaku are mostly decent as well. I'll stop by them if my MC is up that way anyway, but otherwise I'm usually giving the den a wide berth.

Jul 26, 2019
Out of morbid curiosity I skimmed through their forums once and saw him defending his cod-Japanese kitsune because (I paraphrase from memory) "the Japanese are arrogant, insular racists anyway, so it makes sense that the kitsune would be as well." Real charmer, that lad.
Does this dude even do research into what he's writing about? I feel like he's just going off stereotypes that only applied to Imperial Japan at most, and even dark age era Japan, only became "racist" because western countries forced them into shitty trade deals. But the thing that confuses me the most is, if he has such a negative opinion on Japanese people, why the fuck would he write an entire area for them?

Quintilus

Engaged Member
Aug 8, 2020
Does this dude even do research into what he's writing about? I feel like he's just going off stereotypes that only applied to Imperial Japan at most, and even dark age era Japan, only became "racist" because western countries forced them into shitty trade deals. But the thing that confuses me the most is, if he has such a negative opinion on Japanese people, why the fuck would he write an entire area for them?
From what I know, nowadays Japanese is not a racist but xenophobic.

JTakiyaa

Dec 9, 2019
From what I know, nowadays Japanese is not a racist but xenophobic.
Yeah we do have a lot of conservative traditional people that would view outsider that come here would force their "crazy lifestyle" to our youth or whatever. But they just keep it to themselves, the worst they could do is glare at you.

I have my doubts that Tobs is some Chinese weeb with a love hate relationship with hentai genre but that statement he made kinda cement my stands lol.

Reactions: atomicp
Jul 22, 2019
Kiyoko is ... fine, I guess. Overwritten, but still passable. And yeah Rindo's a hoary cliché, but her and Kohaku are mostly decent as well. I'll stop by them if my MC is up that way anyway, but otherwise I'm usually giving the den a wide berth.
I would like Rindo a lot more if the actual smut side of things was written better. Who mentions the smell of ashes in a sex scene about a burn victim? Who thinks reading about how someones hair smells like burned wood and dirt is sexy?
Let alone the generic overly flowery stuff in the rest of that scene, or the fact that she's crying half the time.

It's all just so over the top without thinking about what it really conveys, imo. The art is also just not really that disfigured looking at all, which doesn't help.

"the Japanese are arrogant, insular racists anyway, so it makes sense that the kitsune would be as well." Real charmer, that lad.
You need to keep in mind that it is literally impossible for you to understand him without an IQ within 15 points of his (preferably lower).

Zarcinie

Aug 3, 2018
without using the save editor is there a way to become full centaur if so how i swear i have tried almost everything lol

Reactions: NODOGAN

organord

Jun 10, 2020
without using the save editor is there a way to become full centaur if so how i swear i have tried almost everything lol
Legitimate transformation into taur bodies isn't possible for the player in CoC2, unfortunately. The various beastfolk transformatives still restrict you to biped legs.
I vaguely recall the reason was they didn't want to add scene variants for the vastly different body shape? Or did they claim that not enough players became taurs to make it worthwhile? Something along those lines, CMIIW please.

TiTS definitely supports player taur bodies, at least. But I've never had one myself there, so I couldn't tell you off the top of my head how widespread it is for the taur body to be taken into account during sex scenes.

EdgeOfShadow

Sep 24, 2017
Legitimate transformation into taur bodies isn't possible for the player in CoC2, unfortunately. The various beastfolk transformatives still restrict you to biped legs.
I vaguely recall the reason was they didn't want to add scene variants for the vastly different body shape? Or did they claim that not enough players became taurs to make it worthwhile? Something along those lines, CMIIW please.

TiTS definitely supports player taur bodies, at least. But I've never had one myself there, so I couldn't tell you off the top of my head how widespread it is for the taur body to be taken into account during sex scenes.
Completly understandable, in TiTS every time i saw a scene that required a certain body type i passed it as it was not worth the effort.

Btw, nothing gets this thread going like shitting on The Observer and the Fox Den, i love to see that passion every time someone plays this part of the game.

Zarcinie

Aug 3, 2018
its a real shame i love being able to turn into centaurs but even in TiTs it barely had any scenes that had it always annoyed me its a shame you cant be one in this game

Jul 22, 2019
Very few have proper Taur scenes, most just ignore it entirely and end up making no sense because of it. The positions they end up describing would only work if you were fucking a naga or something.

organord

Jun 10, 2020
Very few have proper Taur scenes, most just ignore it entirely and end up making no sense because of it. The positions they end up describing would only work if you were fucking a naga or something.
Oh, how peculiar. I thought there would be better support considering half-leithan is a valid starting race, and they begin the game as a taur.

And now that I think about it, the game only grays out buttons you lack the bodyparts/size specs to access, so it's quite telling that I don't even recall grayed out "taur-only" buttons in, well, the vast majority of encounters.

2.90 star(s) 107 Votes