Daddums

Oct 26, 2019
Makes total sense to me, it's just easier to work around an established character with (some) characterization set in stone and I certainly wouldn't put that as one of Mass Effects faults, if anything I think Mass Effect did so well in general because of just that.
It's a matter of opinion, but I do think it's a fault. I'm mostly angry at the trend it started than the game itself. It vastly limits the character and dialogue options can end up pretty vague or be a completely different idea of how you think a normal person would handle something and how a nutjob writer thinks a situation should be handled. It also tends to railroad you more often with it being more obvious the choice is an illusion.

It can vary greatly between games - albeit a few options in Mass Effect had me scratching my head - and I'll never forgive Bioware for it. Never!
I think you're misrepresenting the comparison somewhat.
Not really, it's how the forums itself sees it. The Champion is the writer's mouth piece. It's why your champion comes off schizophrenic between any major characters or even minor. Because each writer has their own idea of what the champion is. There is no cohesion, no coherence. Nadda. A good example is how a writer will write the champion as confident and sure, but then another will write him as treating himself as a punching bag without even choosing that as an option. The writers have default attitudes and they clash constantly.

This wouldn't be as much of a problem if the Champion was considered the player's character. Since it's not, then they give their default idea of the Champion - leading to clashes - rather than put in more neutral responses until a decision is made to guide the narrative as interested or disinterested.

Mass Effect didn't have this issue because they made sure the team understood the basic core of Shepard. So either they're ignoring the codex - at which point why have it? - or there is not much of an established core.

elegant_hello

Jan 31, 2020
Not really, it's how the forums itself sees it. The Champion is the writer's mouth piece. It's why your champion comes off schizophrenic between any major characters or even minor. Because each writer has their own idea of what the champion is. There is no cohesion, no coherence.
The bigger issue is the blatant lack of collaboration and management in the CoC2 team, which has been the biggest red flag since it launched. None of them want to write meaningful variations for the players. In fact, one of them even decried variation as "the death of depth". You can tell how CoC2 as a project has worsened since they can't stop hyping up the next game, and the lead dev lamenting working on a game with transformations. Quoting Tobs, companions were meant to be handled responsibly to avoid the problems of crewmembers in TiTS, and instead, six deadweights have been left to stagnate and one randomly commissioned NPC was suddenly elevated to companion status at the eleventh hour.

Lance Lot

Sep 13, 2017
Can't fuck the full goth cow, can't fuck the badass dommy dragoness.
It's like whenever they add a character that breaks away from the mold of the average COC character it has to be unfuckable.
Hopefully we'll get Aileh scenes soon, unlike the brothel ma'am that has a bullshit reason to be untouchable

• Sad
Reactions: silentangel

WazaQQXOXO

Jul 10, 2021
This wouldn't be as much of a problem if the Champion was considered the player's character. Since it's not, then they give their default idea of the Champion - leading to clashes - rather than put in more neutral responses until a decision is made to guide the narrative as interested or disinterested.

Mass Effect didn't have this issue because they made sure the team understood the basic core of Shepard. So either they're ignoring the codex - at which point why have it? - or there is not much of an established core.
At that point, there are enough evidences the whole situation is the result of the dissonance among the developers.
It's not limited to the MC.
Even Savin admitted the whole Kitsune arc doesn't fit in. How a team lead can let something so obvious slip away?

jfmherokiller

May 25, 2020
At that point, there are enough evidences the whole situation is the result of the dissonance among the developers.
It's not limited to the MC.
Even Savin admitted the whole Kitsune arc doesn't fit in. How a team lead can let something so obvious slip away?
is it bad that I kind of like the kitsune arc? yes its very jarring but has a somewhat nice atmosphere.

Raf-Raf

Conversation Conqueror
Dec 4, 2019
At this point are you gonna do a bingo board of perceived violations that you did ? I think some previous posts might have gotten a bingo :v .
I'll have to wait more for the bingo mods to see what I got next.

WazaQQXOXO

Jul 10, 2021
is it bad that I kind of like the kitsune arc? yes its very jarring but has a somewhat nice atmosphere.
There's nothing wrong with liking content; when it comes to personal preferences, to each their own.

The issue I have with the kitsune tree is the utter lack of respect the NPCs show towards an outsider (the MC) known for their martial skills and notable achievements. A great exemple: a freed Kiyoko encourages Hime-Kinu to get engaged to a mentally-challenged gentleman dangerous to himself and other people, but throws an hissy fit when you suggest that may be not the best choice.

That's poor writing 101.

MogwaiKupo

May 14, 2017
Can't fuck the full goth cow, can't fuck the badass dommy dragoness.
It's like whenever they add a character that breaks away from the mold of the average COC character it has to be unfuckable.
Hopefully we'll get Aileh scenes soon, unlike the brothel ma'am that has a bullshit reason to be untouchable
You can't just have the "benevolent" king of a sex positive city force somebody into concubinage. They do hammer in that the citizens love him so she would care about him enough to not reject him in such a manner. It's forced, she doesn't look much better than any other cowgirl, but if it turns out the king is in cahoots with Kasyrra and we have to depose him then problem solved. To bad we'll have to a wait a year to find out where her story arc goes.
There's nothing wrong with liking content; when it comes to personal preferences, to each their own.

The issue I have with the kitsune tree is the utter lack of respect the NPCs show towards an outsider (the MC) known for their martial skills and notable achievements. A great exemple: a freed Kiyoko encourages Hime-Kinu to get engaged to a mentally-challenged gentleman dangerous to himself and other people, but throws an hissy fit when you suggest that may be not the best choice.

That's poor writing 101.
You have to remember, Tobs wants to railroad you into being a lousy father who gets no respect for reasons. Kiyoko does shut Nakano up when he insults you so maybe it's just Kinu who makes her/Tobs act stupid. Remember to get Hime-Kinu you have to go through a scene where Kiyoko purposely underrates her daughter just because she's jealous that Kinu is becoming better than her, and then have Kinu forgiver her for it. It's telling that adult Kinu can never have a good relationship with both her parents, she either despises Kiyoko and likes you, or mimics Kiyoko and doesn't respect you.

2.90 star(s) 107 Votes