Knight_of_the_lance

Feb 23, 2020
It is only 6.99$ USD on Itch. I know there are many reasons to pirate instead, But for those that can it seams a small price to pay to get access to updates as soon as they are out, support the dev and get a great download speed. I can tell you it is worth it.

Reactions: Koto Amatsukame

SonsOfLiberty

Board Buff
Compressor
Sep 3, 2022
It is only 6.99$ USD on Itch. I know there are many reasons to pirate instead, But for those that can it seams a small price to pay to get access to updates as soon as they are out, support the dev and get a great download speed. I can tell you it is worth it.
Do you mean $9.99? As that is what it is...

1689295093389.png

ename144

Engaged Member
Sep 20, 2018
Sometimes, a narrative opens in such a way that the premise fails:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Edited to add: I finished the thing, just to check i wasn't blowing smoke up my own smoker, and seriously...
I'm afraid I have to agree, the design of this game is very poor. There's no point in offering us a "major" choice when we have no information with which to choose and when only one outcome is shown. There's even less point in trying to play up the moral ambiguity later on when our actions are predetermined. If the dev isn't willing to write a branch of the story where the main character tries to resist his enslavement, then don't bother calling attention to our theoretical complicity in plot. Just establish that the MC *WILL* serve the witch (either through inclination or magical compulsion) and get on with whatever the game is actually going to be about.

But the problems go deeper. The interface has been customized, yet it's just inferior to the default Ren'Py setup: no quick saves, clear text replaced with textless icons, and a very limited number of manual save slots. Blech. Even the artistic design of the game was weak. It's too dark to make out many details and the mooks use a vague shape instead of a proper model - which is especially funny when we're supposed to recognize they're in a uniform simply because the blob is wearing a hat! It makes the game downright frustrating to look at, which winds up undermining the very real sense of atmosphere that is one of the game's few major strengths.

I'm sure the game will work better for people who don't mind hooking up with Enna, but for myself I'll stick with the 'bad ending' and call it a day.

Hellster

Engaged Member
May 18, 2019
I'm afraid I have to agree, the design of this game is very poor. There's no point in offering us a "major" choice when we have no information with which to choose and when only one outcome is shown. There's even less point in trying to play up the moral ambiguity later on when our actions are predetermined. If the dev isn't willing to write a branch of the story where the main character tries to resist his enslavement, then don't bother calling attention to our theoretical complicity in plot. Just establish that the MC *WILL* serve the witch (either through inclination or magical compulsion) and get on with whatever the game is actually going to be about.

But the problems go deeper. The interface has been customized, yet it's just inferior to the default Ren'Py setup: no quick saves, clear text replaced with textless icons, and a very limited number of manual save slots. Blech. Even the artistic design of the game was weak. It's too dark to make out many details and the mooks use a vague shape instead of a proper model - which is especially funny when we're supposed to recognize they're in a uniform simply because the blob is wearing a hat! It makes the game downright frustrating to look at, which winds up undermining the very real sense of atmosphere that is one of the game's few major strengths.

I'm sure the game will work better for people who don't mind hooking up with Enna, but for myself I'll stick with the 'bad ending' and call it a day.
The reason the "mooks" are blurred/a blob, is because adding a bunch of ambiguous characters to a scene means a LOT of extra render time, a few other games use manequins and the like rather than full detailed characters, every character adds 2GB of extra vRam needed per scene, so if you add 8 "Mooks" in full detail there's another 16GB of vRam needed on your GPU (estimated) and adds a whole lot of extra render time, they aren't main characters of the game itself, thus not that important, they are just there to play their part.

ename144

Engaged Member
Sep 20, 2018
The reason the "mooks" are blurred/a blob, is because adding a bunch of ambiguous characters to a scene means a LOT of extra render time, a few other games use manequins and the like rather than full detailed characters, every character adds 2GB of extra vRam needed per scene, so if you add 8 "Mooks" in full detail there's another 16GB of vRam needed on your GPU (estimated) and adds a whole lot of extra render time, they aren't main characters of the game itself, thus not that important, they are just there to play their part.
I understand why the mooks are blurred out, I just disagree that they're unimportant. If they're important enough that the MC needs to interact with them, they're important enough to be rendered. I'm not keen on it when other games use mannequins, but at least they only use them for literal background characters. Leaving NPCs we're talking to as blobs (while calling attention to their supposed uniforms no less) is, IMHO, an extremely lazy solution.

But it goes beyond that because, again, the game keeps playing up the idea that we're choosing to follow Enna to preserve our (un)life. Well, what kind of life is it when the vast majority of people with whom we could interact will be nothing more than faceless blobs? How is death not preferable at that point?

Knight_of_the_lance

Feb 23, 2020
I understand why the mooks are blurred out, I just disagree that they're unimportant. If they're important enough that the MC needs to interact with them, they're important enough to be rendered. I'm not keen on it when other games use mannequins, but at least they only use them for literal background characters. Leaving NPCs we're talking to as blobs (while calling attention to their supposed uniforms no less) is, IMHO, an extremely lazy solution.

But it goes beyond that because, again, the game keeps playing up the idea that we're choosing to follow Enna to preserve our (un)life. Well, what kind of life is it when the vast majority of people with whom we could interact will be nothing more than faceless blobs? How is death not preferable at that point?
Have you played the last update? From the start? Rathieu rerote a bit of Dialog and iner monologue. Might make the Choice moré bearable to you. Aldo the NPC as blob Gets adressed and is integrated un the plot.

cebs

Engaged Member
Donor
Compressor
Feb 19, 2018
Here's my unofficial android port of Children of Morn v0.2

Download

4.10 star(s) 37 Votes