Ren'Py Abandoned Cutely Suspicious [v0.12.033] [Ellaraia]

3.10 star(s) 21 Votes

Ellaraia

Game Developer
Feb 13, 2018
- The background of the girls, who they are and why they're in the house.
- Who the MC is, the reason why he lives in the house.
- The relationship of the girls
I think you don't really need a long intro, a briefly intro should be fine. I don't feel right when I start a game in the toilet with not much information of the characters (even though they're really cute and I like them).
Thanks. I think a quick intro may be best based on feeeback. I may move you out of the toilet too. Maybe into your bedroom instead. There wasn't much thought behind putting you in the toilet, just that no-one else was there, though I'm not sure why I felt that was important.

Reactions: Daveck

Kaliba

Jun 24, 2017
The concept of doing something naughty behind the "landladys" back sounds really interesting. I will check it out once there are serveral updates.

Good luck with the game dev.

Reactions: Ellaraia

Hlextor

May 6, 2017
Can´t find all three pictures point 11 "Permission to take sexy picture of ..." Where all this to take?

Last edited:

Sh1iNobu

Feb 24, 2020
Too much grinding for my taste , is a good game but now is not worth the hard work i have to do just to unlock a bj if is not less than that.

SkinnGames

Jun 17, 2018
Are you going to abandon this work like you did My Little Katelyn? It was just becoming interesting and then it was gone! How very disappointing!

Reactions: HansDampf788

Ellaraia

Game Developer
Feb 13, 2018
Are you going to abandon this work like you did My Little Katelyn? It was just becoming interesting and then it was gone! How very disappointing!
No. I'm in a better place than I was then and enjoying creating CuteS a lot.

Reactions: veeral

smnb

Sep 5, 2017
Grinding for what?
Grinding is not the best word. It's common problem with most free roaming games. When it's simple VN with some light branching, then you as creator are in control, players can't do anything "wrong". When there's freedom and everything is up to players, you have limited possibilities. You can try to make things obvious, to keep them on the right path. When it succeeds, it's great, because there's enough things happening at a good pace, and they feel like it was all their doing. But people think differently and it's also possible that it will take them longer to find the right path, and it won't feel action-packed at all, quite the opposite.

Ellaraia

Game Developer
Feb 13, 2018
Grinding is not the best word. It's common problem with most free roaming games. When it's simple VN with some light branching, then you as creator are in control, players can't do anything "wrong". When there's freedom and everything is up to players, you have limited possibilities. You can try to make things obvious, to keep them on the right path. When it succeeds, it's great, because there's enough things happening at a good pace, and they feel like it was all their doing. But people think differently and it's also possible that it will take them longer to find the right path, and it won't feel action-packed at all, quite the opposite.
Thanks. It's very annoying when people keep saying "Too grindy. Too grindy!" without ever offering an explanation of what they mean by that even when asked. Instead they insult or ignore me. I was thinking about it last night because it really confuses me. I think you're saying that when people are saying "grindy" they mean that they are lost, from my perspective, or that the game is poorly paced. They're doing things without progressing or being rewarded. I wish people said this instead.

The storyline/quest system is best thought of as a series of puzzles with the game itself being a collection of things you can do, some of which will complete your current puzzle. It's up to the player to think for a second about what the 'clues' in the diary mean and what they need to do. I always offer you more solutions than you need and I select the numbers in the diary with purpose so you have to think a little, but not too much. Stage progression drip feeds you content to keep you going and enjoying the new things you can do with the girls.

I wonder if some people see a stage telling you to hug Cute and the 3/7 and assume they just have to randomly hug her 7 times. I wonder if they decide to complain before playing and learning how the system really works. Not all players, not even most, but some.

Here's how I design stages. Feel free to skip if you've read my DD on the topic. I usually have around 10 ways to complete a free-roam stage. I'll make 6 of these be simple and obvious. These will occur many times in a week, maybe even every day, and you'll have plenty of opportunity to complete them. The final 4 will be less obvious. They'll require multiple steps (get a drink, then place it beside a bed, then peek when they're washing) or will take place on rare activities such as when Cute watches a film. I'll set in the diary that you have to complete 7 to advance. This way you can easily clean up the easy ones just as you play and then maybe search around a little for the final one you need.

I don't communicate that you have extra options well in-game. I'm reluctant to add things like this to the opening/intro because it's rather jarring to be hit with a bunch of info on mechanics but I think it's best that I add info like this in a tips screen before you begin the game. Some players ask "What's the last thing I need to do?" when in reality there are a bunch of things they could do. They see 6/7 and assume theres one thing left that's really obscure and they can't be bothered trying to find it. I don't blame them for that.

Another problem is that I think players rush into things. They see the game and peek at every opportunity and enter the bathrooms and so on. This takes content you're supposed to play over an hour and crams it into 15 minutes, leaving the next 45 minutes rather barren (times aren't necessarily accurate there). It also gives them really high suspicion which is a hindrance, especially if you don't like being spanked (probably removed in V3). I don't really know how to counter this. No matter how many times you're told to stop doing it, if all you want to do is rush to see all the nudity you can then there isn't much I can do to stop you, even though you're hindering your own enjoyment and progression.

You're supposed to role-play, to take it slow and enjoy peeks and nudity every now and again. I need to get players to know this before evolutions come into play otherwise there will be many complaints about a competent system being incompetent by players who played for the immediate. If you want her to become you pet, then making her try on her new outfit is the correct choice. If you want to be her pet or in an equal loving relationship then this is the wrong thing to do and will hinder you later down the line.

There are certainly pacing issues. Dani's photography is the prime example of this as one of her stages requires 2 shoots to be done, leaving a blank week between them where you've nothing to do to progress. If you do both girls' storylines at the same time then this isn't such an issue as you can just focus on Cute for the week, but not everyone will do that and choosing 1 girl rather than both is meant to be an option, not that I'd currently advise doing that.

Edit: Maybe people don't give me helpful feedback because they'll get replied several-hundred words long. haha

smnb

Sep 5, 2017
I can't speak for everyone, but I think that people generally don't expect much from these games. And judging by my experience, they are right, because it doesn't happen often that I finish a game and think "wow, that was something!" It's mostly "ok, it had some good moments, but..." With such state of things, going for quick rewards is natural choice.

If you don't tell me, I don't expect the puzzle thing. Well, in your case I can, because I already saw what you did before, and I think that you're trying to do something different since you started with ShF, and I like that. Still, I don't really know what's there, what to expect and what's possible.

The ideal free roaming game would have rich world with tons of choices and mechanics, and even if I'd miss half of them, I'd be satisfied. I have yet to see one like that. And I of course understand that it's unreasonable to expect that. Safer bet is to expect something much much more limited, but I have no idea how much.

I think my attempt to explain it will fail miserably, but how much I'm excited and willing to slowly explore things, somehow depends on how much I'm expecting is there (or will be). Whether I think it will be worth it, if it makes any sense. Of course when the game is still in development, especially in early stages, it's impossible to know that.

I'm not sure if this is helpful feedback, I'm affraid it's not. Anyway, keep doing what you're doing, I think it can end well. If you'd choose to make simple VN, people could either like it or hate it. With a game like this, there's third option, they may not understand what you're doing. :)

smnb

Sep 5, 2017
Someone should probably remove the "milf" tag, because as it's now, it's false advertising. I'd say it's very often false advertising even with other games, because the content contradicts the acronym, but that's a different story. ;)

Ellaraia

Game Developer
Feb 13, 2018
The ideal free roaming game would have rich world with tons of choices and mechanics, and even if I'd miss half of them, I'd be satisfied. I have yet to see one like that. And I of course understand that it's unreasonable to expect that. Safer bet is to expect something much much more limited, but I have no idea how much.
This is something I'm really aiming for. Cute has 25 different activities that she does throughout the week and Dani has 17. Each of those can be interacted with in different ways and will eventually have a variety of clothes which adds a little extra to each. Extra clothes with new poses will help keep the game fresher for longer.

Mechanic variety and image variety aren't the same thing, however, and the former is more difficult. Many of the things the girls do have the same set of interactions (talk, compliment, sit with, hug, kiss) with other having a second set (peek, talk, and enter). I want players to explore the game and see the variations of each and the storylines are geared toward this.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Something else I have are a few ways you can engineer situations such as making the girls pee or walk in on you in the shower. Events like the latter are rare but more are being added as your relationships strengthen and options increase. Steal Dani's panties and masturbate with them while looking at her pictures and you'll get one of my favourite events in the game.

Also, all feedback is helpful. I think so anyway.

3.10 star(s) 21 Votes