Ren'Py Abandoned Cutely Suspicious [v0.12.033] [Ellaraia]

3.10 star(s) 21 Votes

Ellaraia

Game Developer
Feb 13, 2018
I saw that it exists as a $10 patreon reward, but I was able to complete all quests without it. The ingame helper is decently detailed, although it would be amazing if clicking on a quest, for example the kissing quest, would bring up a list of locations+time that you have already performed, along with locations (and time) that you have not. Can be sort of annoying to find that last thing you need to do, and you're basically spending several days trying to see which you're missing (generally a 'rare' event, like when she's vacuuming or whatever).
Having to only do some of the options available aims to alleviate that. While I like the first part of your idea at least, I don't have a clue how to add something like that.

veeral

Aug 8, 2016
So, also a little stuck at the Together quest. I've met 3 out of 6 possible options. But everything I do with Cute won't counted forward. Got the 3 points at the morning cuddle (fondle breast, fondle leg and fondle bum). What do I miss?
If you do figure it out please let me know I feel like I'm running my face into a brick wall

i107760

Sistersitting / Housesitting Developer
Modder
Game Developer
Nov 1, 2016
So, also a little stuck at the Together quest. I've met 3 out of 6 possible options. But everything I do with Cute won't counted forward. Got the 3 points at the morning cuddle (fondle breast, fondle leg and fondle bum). What do I miss?
No Offence your entitled to your opinion and I know some stupid words have been added lately but good luck geting that one in the dictionary
When helping her with her homework, and she is in your lap, make sure you are not aroused, you can fondle her. You can also fondle her once when she is reading in her bed at night, when you sit next to her.

Reactions: Ellaraia and veeral

i107760

Modder
Game Developer
Nov 1, 2016
Having to only do some of the options available aims to alleviate that. While I like the first part of your idea at least, I don't have a clue how to add something like that.
I don't normally work with renpy, so probably can't figure it out, but I can give it a try. What file is the "Helper" located in for the quests? And do you have a public git somewhere? No promises though since I never worked on your project/renpy. But yes, not having to do all of them helps, but for some quests it's still pretty time-consuming to find the last things to do. Perhaps once game has more content, this will be less of a problem, but when I got closer to the end I found myself skipping through days trying to get that last event.

ltpika

Engaged Member
Aug 6, 2016
I just want a better quest structure, the "do something in a location in a window of time" can't be all there is. It was fine as a start, but it's getting to be too much repetition. It's almost like those mobile games that gate you with repetitive tasks so you'll get frustrated and buy currency to bypass it. but there isn't any in app stuff so why is that design there? Very confusing, it can't be for life sim, because who smashes a pass time button and nothing else in their life? And sometimes I'm not sure why something logically moves things forward. A kiss in one room is significant, but do it in another place and it means nothing?

Lotta great potential here, but it needs a rethink and maybe a simplification to be friendly to the player. I'm sure it makes sense in your head but it's not really getting across well. I have such an easier time playing similar things like Midnight Paradise or Milfy City. They have similarly timed task and locations, might be worth looking at how they communicate and structure that.

Last edited:

Ellaraia

Game Developer
Feb 13, 2018
I don't normally work with renpy, so probably can't figure it out, but I can give it a try. What file is the "Helper" located in for the quests? And do you have a public git somewhere? No promises though since I never worked on your project/renpy. But yes, not having to do all of them helps, but for some quests it's still pretty time-consuming to find the last things to do. Perhaps once game has more content, this will be less of a problem, but when I got closer to the end I found myself skipping through days trying to get that last event.
It's all in bts/Diary/_diary.rpy I think the text file version is in the dl so you don't have to decompile it.

i107760

Modder
Game Developer
Nov 1, 2016
It's all in bts/Diary/_diary.rpy I think the text file version is in the dl so you don't have to decompile it.
Taking a look at it now, think I know how to do it(luckily you are already tracking individual events, like $ actCuteHelpedHomework), just need to google a bit about how the UI in renpy works to make the objective listings in the quest view clickable and popup a box with text.

Reactions: Ellaraia

Ellaraia

Game Developer
Feb 13, 2018
I just want a better quest structure, the "do something in a location in a window of time" can't be all there is. It was fine as a start, but it's getting to be too much repetition. It's almost like those mobile games that gate you with repetitive tasks so you'll get frustrated and buy currency to bypass it. but there isn't any in app stuff so why is that design there? Very confusing, it can't be for life sim, because who smashes a pass time button and nothing else in their life? And sometimes I'm not sure why something logically moves things forward. A kiss in one room is significant, but do it in another place and it means nothing?

Lotta great potential here, but it needs a rethink and maybe a simplification to be friendly to the player. I'm sure it makes sense in your head but it's not really getting across well. I have such an easier time playing similar things like Midnight Paradise or Milfy City. They have similarly timed task and locations, might be worth looking at how they communicate and structure that.
It's not really that though. It's do x of a list of y. Within that some of the options are some with a little more complexity and multiple stages but those are the ones I have to keep to a minimum due to those being the ones people always complain about and also the most buggy and the longest to create.

The whole point of the storyline system is to force you to explore the game and not miss too much content. It's a translation of "You can do this now, go have fun." mixed with a checklist so you know when you've done all of said thing.

Milfy City is more streamlined. You don't have 6 places to kiss the girl, you have 1 or 2. That game is a story in the body of a free-roam. CuteS is a free-roam game with a story or four. The distinction being that when free-roam is the primary then you need lots of options as the goal really is to allow the player to do whatever they want and when the story comes first you're just playing through a set of events that occurred in the creator's story.

In truth, the ideal would be for a free-roam game to have no storyline system at all and for all of the progression and data to be hidden. However, this would result in a lot of lost players and very few people enjoying playing. It would be a cool experiment to create this but I'm certain very very few people would enjoy playing it. They'd have to be desperate to have fun with the girl(s) and willing to suffer through the endless frustration.

Reactions: DA22

Ellaraia

Game Developer
Feb 13, 2018
Taking a look at it now, think I know how to do it(luckily you are already tracking individual events, like $ actCuteHelpedHomework), just need to google a bit about how the UI in renpy works to make the objective listings in the quest view clickable and popup a box with text.
Not everything is tracked but I could certainly change that rather easily. I can do a lot with renpy but popups are something I don't have any idea about. I know there's a tooltip system but I've not been able to do anything with it so far and I've never gotten screens within screens to work.

i107760

Modder
Game Developer
Nov 1, 2016
Not everything is tracked but I could certainly change that rather easily. I can do a lot with renpy but popups are something I don't have any idea about. I know there's a tooltip system but I've not been able to do anything with it so far and I've never gotten screens within screens to work.
Using a combination of use screenName and zorder lets you display a screen on top of another screen. I'll implement a very rough version of it for Cute - Welcome Back, Stage 4. The menu is opened by clicking on the image of the tick. Here:

Capture.PNG

I'll attach this proof-of-concept code, be it for learning how to do overlays in general or implementing this into the helper. It looks terrible, I know, I did not feel like spending more time on it, sorry. I'm sure you can make it much better, easily.

Things you'd still have to do:
1. Clicking outside the overlay screen, closes the overlay screen.
2. Decide the dimensions of the overlay screen, and implement scrolling for when there are too many events.
3. Make a fitting background image with the right dimensions.
4. Make the text look better, and fix the spacing.
5. Implement it for all quests.
6. Implement more information for quests, like location and time.

EDIT: Ellaraia I'm done editing my post, sorry about that. Took a bit of time to word it right.

Last edited:
Reactions: ltpika and Ellaraia

Ellaraia

Game Developer
Feb 13, 2018
Using a combination of use screenNamep and zorder lets you display a screen on top of another screen. I'll implement a very rough version of it for Cute - Welcome Back, Stage 4. Here:

View attachment 799206

I'll attach this proof-of-concept code, be it for learning how to do overlays in general or implementing this into the helper. It looks terrible, I know, I did not feel like spending more time on it, sorry. I'm sure you can make it much better, easily.

Things you'd still have to do:
1.Clicking outside the overlay screen, closes the overlay screen.
2. Decide the dimensions of the overlay screen, and implement scrolling for when there are too many events.
3. Make a fitting background image with the right dimensions.
4. Make the text look better, and fix the spacing.
5. Implement it for all quests.
6. Implement more information for quests, like location and time.
Don't apologise for only slightly helping out. It's more than you had to do. I'll look through your code at some point and see what I can do. Thanks.

i107760

Modder
Game Developer
Nov 1, 2016
Don't apologise for only slightly helping out. It's more than you had to do. I'll look through your code at some point and see what I can do. Thanks.
No problem, luckily the code is really easy, just took me a while because I hadn't done anything in renpy before ^^. Not sure how useful overlays in general are, but I can think of some cool things to do with them, gives you a bit more flexibility than just being able to display 1 screen at a time.

seamanq

Game Developer
Aug 28, 2018
I bought the radio but there is no option to give it to Dani. I checked the save file and it shows that I have the radio in inventory (1).

i107760

Modder
Game Developer
Nov 1, 2016
I bought the radio but there is no option to give it to Dani. I checked the save file and it shows that I have the radio in inventory (1).
You need to give it to the mother, not Dani. Give it to her when she's reading in her room.

Wildbill5150

Oct 6, 2018
I like the game trying to keep up with the quests is just wow painstaking also there is so much back and forth do this do that for so little reward??
I spend hours doing things for a 20sec fondle?? Really very little reward he should just find himself a girlfriend outside the house could have actually gotten some real sexual experience by now!!
Is there a walkthrough maybe that would help just getting tired of all this for nothing really there have been really no rewards yet alot of painstaking here and there yeah walkthrough would help alot?

Reactions: frozenfeet
3.10 star(s) 21 Votes