Unity Cyber Rift [v0.2.8b] [Cyber Owl Games]

4.40 star(s) 5 Votes

ZeRAWDOG

Game Developer
Mar 5, 2021
Decent quality game, but the minigame where you shoot meteors & collect junk is so damned drifty it feels like I'm piloting a greased pig on wheels, which makes getting any cash incredibly difficult.

And i need 1500 dollars just to progress, which makes me think it may be intentionally difficult just to use grind to introduce playtime for some reason.

If it's not, then this is definitely an issue that needs fixing.

edit: apologies if that came off as rude, i get frustrated with difficult games/controls easily. >-<'
Appreciate the feedback! Honestly pretty new to programming minigames, but I am looking into making upgrades to the ship eventually that you'd be able to purchase through gameplay. Funnily enough it was actually even worse before and it took a while to get to this point! Mainly the minigame was meant for adding a small grind in order to progress, but I can definitely look into adjusting controls based on your feedback. Thanks for playing though!

ZeRAWDOG

Game Developer
Mar 5, 2021
Followup: when I went to give Fae her jacket, she was missing her face until i swapped screens between the shop and her lab.
might be my end, not sure:
View attachment 3079414
Nah that's not your fault, it's purely cause I didn't layer the character correctly with the background so the sprite is being overlapped by accident. I'll make sure that's fixed in next patch!

PS: There was a similar issue in the Recroom that was in the demo version that caused her pants and panties to disappear :p

ZeRAWDOG

Game Developer
Mar 5, 2021
elsie_preview_NSFW.png
Cyber Rift Chapter 1 Part 2 (v0.2.4a Build)

This build was focused on adding the brand new Elsie NSFW scene! If you just want to play the new scene all you have to do is check in your replay scenes icon on the phone if you're using your own save. We've also added the ability to skip through Dialogue Tool text very fast (this only works on scenes that use the tool, all of the Cyberia update is built on it). To use the tool hold Spacebar and left click once. It'll speed through until you let go of Spacebar.

Added Features:

-New Elsie NSFW scene! (Dialogue will be added soon, just needs to be reworked)
-New ability to skip dialogue has been added (Press spacebar + left click once during Dialogue Tool sections)

Bug Fixes:
-Fixed an issue where you couldn't access the bathroom after doing Junky's minigame

-Fixed an issue with Fae's sprite overlapping pieces in her lab
-Fixed an issue where both Jukarya and Forgaris couldn't be accessed after completing current progression
-Fixed an issue where it was impossible to leave Elsie's cabin after finishing progression
-Fixed an issue where it was not possible to go back to Cyberia after completing progression
-Adjust controls for minigame to make it easier to control the ship. We'll be adding the ability to boost in the future to make it easier

Known Issues:

-During conversations with characters in scenes it is still possible to play certain animations
-Not all character portraits/poses are in every scene and will be fixed quickly

Features that are still WIP that will be added in the next few weeks:

-3 NSFW scenes (First scene is finished and second is already in the sketch phase)
-Smalls bits of dialogue needed to be added after NSFW scenes are implemented
-More sound effects throughout the game
-Sound effects for the minigame

Part 2 is getting closer and closer to finished, and we're hoping to get everything done very soon. We're still waiting on the other two NSFW scenes (an Elsie + Fae one and an Everie one), and as soon as they're finished we'll be adding them into the build. Thank you so much for your support and let us know what you think of the new scene!

ZeRAWDOG

Game Developer
Mar 5, 2021
Decent quality game, but the minigame where you shoot meteors & collect junk is so damned drifty it feels like I'm piloting a greased pig on wheels, which makes getting any cash incredibly difficult.

And i need 1500 dollars just to progress, which makes me think it may be intentionally difficult just to use grind to introduce playtime for some reason.

If it's not, then this is definitely an issue that needs fixing.

edit: apologies if that came off as rude, i get frustrated with difficult games/controls easily. >-<'
Hey just to reply again in v0.2.4a (just released on my pages) I've adjusted the controls for the minigame as well accelerating and weighting of the ship. Should be quite a bit easier to control and I do plan on adding a boost in the future to make it just a bit easier.

May 30, 2019
Hey just to reply again in v0.2.4a (just released on my pages) I've adjusted the controls for the minigame as well accelerating and weighting of the ship. Should be quite a bit easier to control and I do plan on adding a boost in the future to make it just a bit easier.
oh, awesome, thank you! :D

Reactions: ZeRAWDOG

molitar

Engaged Member
Sep 22, 2016
Hey all the game is getting more solid and stable the upgrades really improved it. If you think it's progressed enough let's give the author some reviews. I just done my review as I feel the game is heading in the right direction and many of the complaints have been cleaned up.

I think it is good most of us did not review it early on when it was changing so much but I think we are getting to the chapter progressions in the story now that we can give it some review. Still like a bit more audio variations for scenes but it's definitely had a big improvement.

• Red Heart

ZeRAWDOG

Game Developer
Mar 5, 2021
fae_mad.png
Public News Update: Updated Demo and Part 3

So to start off this news update with a bang: Newgrounds will finally be getting the updated version of Part 1 on December 10th! This has been a bit of a long time coming, and we initially wanted to wait until all the NSFW scenes were finished for Part 2 but we're fairly confident we can at least get 2 of the 3 done before then, with the final scene coming a bit later. All the improvements we've made over the past few months will be included (excluding the content for Cyberia) and Part 2 will be kept for paid patrons only. Our goal is to provide brand new content on our pages consistently, and once we've fully finished Part 3 we'll be updating our public versions as well as the Newgrounds version to Part 2. We'll keep to a staggered release at least until the end of Chapter 2 (that's 8 content updates worth of stuff!). We have an enormous amount planned for future content with Cyber Rift, and we wanted to go into a bit of detail on what's coming.

outfit_system2.png
Mini Wardrobe Update!

With our brand new sprite system we're happy to announce that we'll be adding the ability to customize the crew's outfits. The biggest hurdle with getting this feature working was redoing all the sprites in the new system. Our new system allows for each changing for each of the character's outfits and we're aiming to include a few new outfits for each of our characters in this update. This won't be considered a full content update and it's mainly aimed at creating the foundation for future outfits. We're aiming to let patrons to eventually vote on brand new outfits for us to include and even give ideas for future ones we could add to the game! No ETA with this update just yet, but it will definitely happen a lot faster than previous updates.

image (48).png
Chapter 1 Part 3

This will be our next major content update for Cyber Rift. It'll continue right after the events of Part 2 and you'll be venturing into the Syndicate facility to find out what the hell they've been hiding in this frozen wasteland. We're aiming for it to be very similar content size wise to Part 2. We're planning on this update to be a bit more involved puzzle wise, and aiming to try for some more varied interesting gameplay elements. Since we don't want to spoil too much we'll leave it at that, but you can expect it out in a few months. We're also going to be very active on our Discord and have a few fun surprises in store so definitely check us out there!

roadmap_preview2.png
....and Beyond!

We'll be the first to admit the development of Cyber Rift has been a little all over the place, but for the past 3 years we've learned an enormous amount game development wise. From RenPy to Unity, and rebooting the game twice just to make sure we're doing it right, we are now confident that we've found our voice for the game and we're fully sure on how we're gonna progress forward in the future. Our final goal will be a grand total of 7 Chapters with 4 Parts per chapter. This doesn't mean all content is set in stone, so we may have smaller surprises in between parts so keep an eye out for those! That's it for this news update, and we hope you're excited for the future of Cyber Rift!

Lollert

Jun 12, 2017
Great game and amazing art.

Would love two features:

One, hold key to autoadvance text.

Two, gallery feature. Especially to check for missed content.

• Red Heart

bitsybobs3

Ultimate Torrent Dude
Donor
Jun 13, 2021
CyberRift-0.2.6a
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
rpdl torrents are unaffiliated with F95Zone and the game developer.
Please note that we do not provide support for games.
For torrent-related issues use here, or join us on !
, . Downloading issues? Look here.​

• Yay, new update!

ZeRAWDOG

Game Developer
Mar 5, 2021
Great game and amazing art.

Would love two features:

One, hold key to autoadvance text.

Two, gallery feature. Especially to check for missed content.
Thanks for playing! Pretty much every scene from Part 2 can be skipped by pressing Spacebar + Left-Click (though we probably could have done a better job at explaining that) so you can actually skip through things quickly. The issue is a lot of the dialogue in Part 1 weren't converted to the new tool so you can't skip those, but everything from Part 2 onwards can be sped through using that shortcut :)

For gallery feature do you mean gallery for the NSFW scenes or the normal talking scenes? Currently the replay scenes menu in the phone was just for the NSFW ones, but we could look into a more broad scene gallery in the future if there's interest.

ZeRAWDOG

Game Developer
Mar 5, 2021
Also I realized I forgot to post the patch notes for v0.2.6a here!

elsie_checkup_preview.png

Cyber Rift Chapter 1 Part 2 (v0.2.6a Build)

This build was focused on adding the brand new Elsie and Fae NSFW scene! We'd recommend making a new save right at current progression point to be safe, but progression should be functional up until the Everie scene. (Everie scene is not in the game but once it's added it should be easy to get to).

Added Features:
-New Elsie and Fae NSFW Scene! (we're still working on the missing dialogue but wanted to get the scene in faster)
-Further progression (dialogue is placeholder, writer is a bit preoccupied lately so we wanted to at least get progression in.)
-New cheat code in main menu. Type "MeFirstDime" with Enter Code to get 3000 credits (this only applies to starting a new save or starting from patch).

Bug Fixes:
-Fixed an issue where the map icon would disappear near Fae's lab
-Fixed an issue where expressions were not correctly changing with portraits (this issue actually affected all dialogue tool scenes and now it's been resolved).

Known Issues:
-During conversations with characters in scenes it is still possible to play certain animations

Features that are still WIP that will be added in the next few weeks:
-3 NSFW scenes (One more NSFW scene to go!)
-Smalls bits of dialogue needed to be added after NSFW scenes are implemented
-More sound effects throughout the game
-Sound effects for the minigame

We also have some interesting news to share. Based on the Newgrounds feedback we wanted to really focus on improving the minigame. Currently we're getting sprites made up for it and we're also going to be changing up the gameplay to be even more engaging. Originally the minigame was supposed to be a quick one off to make getting credits more interesting, but based on feedback we wanted to improve upon it. We'll be doing a preview of the current sprites to Cyber Owl tier patrons tmw, but hope you enjoy the build!

PS: Sneaky preview for new minigame ship sprite ;)
ship_preview.png

ZeRAWDOG

Game Developer
Mar 5, 2021
Looks good. But is this a game without sexual content ? :unsure:
We're still a lewd game! The game is more focused on story and we try to treat the NSFW as a bonus, but there are NSFW scenes in the game (some more explicit than others) and there's about 7 replay scenes that can be unlocked. You can also find collectible pinups throughout the game in USB sticks that you give to Junky.

Mookys

Engaged Member
Dec 19, 2022
We're still a lewd game! The game is more focused on story and we try to treat the NSFW as a bonus, but there are NSFW scenes in the game (some more explicit than others) and there's about 7 replay scenes that can be unlocked. You can also find collectible pinups throughout the game in USB sticks that you give to Junky.
Thanks for the answer.

PyoT

Sep 3, 2020
Mh. Love Fae's and Elsie's character designs. Can't say much about anything else ... just feels all sorts of messy, even by WIP standards. Unfun minigame, "checklist" "gameplay" (go there, check phone, go next location, check phone, go next location). Writing seems okay, though not sure I can get behind Elsie and not the biggest of the protagonist, but eh, tolerable.

It's enough to make me sorta curious but in a vaguely skeptical way ^^;

• Thinking Face

ZeRAWDOG

Game Developer
Mar 5, 2021
Mh. Love Fae's and Elsie's character designs. Can't say much about anything else ... just feels all sorts of messy, even by WIP standards. Unfun minigame, "checklist" "gameplay" (go there, check phone, go next location, check phone, go next location). Writing seems okay, though not sure I can get behind Elsie and not the biggest of the protagonist, but eh, tolerable.

It's enough to make me sorta curious but in a vaguely skeptical way ^^;
Appreciate the feedback but tbh most NSFW games tend to be simple one click VNs. Yes it's messy at times but we're also trying to do more overall, and we honestly do appreciate the feedback. The minigame is currently being expanded due to the feedback we've gotten (tbh it was supposed to be a one off) but we're currently changing the way it works to make it more exciting. You'll be able to roam around an area hunting Junksteroids, and we're hoping to expand it even more if people like the changes. Thanks for playing even if you had some issues with it though!

minigame_preview.png
Ship can now free roam an area rather than being locked to a single screen.

PyoT

Sep 3, 2020
That does look pretty good :)

Appreciate the feedback but tbh most NSFW games tend to be simple one click VNs.
Yeah, with good reason ;)

It's basically the equivalent of people always complaining about sandbox gameplay ... there's no better/worse system there, but if it's done, it needs to be done right. Right now the ship has a bunch of locations but nothing to do almost anywhere, and it's (verynearly) always just going from A to B with often narratively rather arbitrary triggers for the next scene.

So not saying you are on the wrong path or anything but from what's there right now it's not even a "one click VN", it's more a kinetic novel where you gotta click on your phone all the time to know what's up ^^; Well, obviously doesn't mean it can't get better, but the demo doesn't really manage (at least to me) to show off why it's a "point-and-click 2D adventure game". No good (or essentially even basic) puzz-ling to be had and no use made of any other p&c elements except real bad "click 17 times to clean this room" or "hope you aren't colorblind and completely stupid-connect the cables" sorta stuff. I kinda get pushing the narrative forward first but if I'm just seeing that then yeah, I am kinda going "why not just a visual novel" ... ^^;

ZeRAWDOG

Game Developer
Mar 5, 2021
That does look pretty good :)

Yeah, with good reason ;)

It's basically the equivalent of people always complaining about sandbox gameplay ... there's no better/worse system there, but if it's done, it needs to be done right. Right now the ship has a bunch of locations but nothing to do almost anywhere, and it's (verynearly) always just going from A to B with often narratively rather arbitrary triggers for the next scene.

So not saying you are on the wrong path or anything but from what's there right now it's not even a "one click VN", it's more a kinetic novel where you gotta click on your phone all the time to know what's up ^^; Well, obviously doesn't mean it can't get better, but the demo doesn't really manage (at least to me) to show off why it's a "point-and-click 2D adventure game". No good (or essentially even basic) puzz-ling to be had and no use made of any other p&c elements except real bad "click 17 times to clean this room" or "hope you aren't colorblind and completely stupid-connect the cables" sorta stuff. I kinda get pushing the narrative forward first but if I'm just seeing that then yeah, I am kinda going "why not just a visual novel" ... ^^;
Yeah I understand you're coming from but we do have a lot planned but a lot of early shallowness with gameplay has been learning the new tools. Good example is you got some people complaining that they were confused cause it wasn't clear where to go next. Now with objectives in the phone it's always possible to know where to go next, but it does come across has having a bit of a checklist in some ways. Honestly we do value feedback so it's definitely appreciated, but we are aiming to improve a lot more interactions and expand gameplay in the future with stuff like improving the minigame.

Tbh if you want a perspective of just how much has changed you can see earlier builds in the thread where it was far more of a mess gameplay wise. Also funnily enough the cleaning in the bedroom used to be 30 times, some reason the artist got a bit obsessed with cleaning stuff throughout the ship and that got toned down a lot with newer art. This coming update with Part 3 is going to have more puzzle elements now that we know the tools better. Future wise we're also planning on adding ship customization and new outfits that can be selected through a new wardrobe feature.

So yeah if you have any suggestions for potential puzzle types, or just simply areas that can be improved (like adding specific types of minigames, character interactions, etc...) just let us know!

Reactions: ArhraCole and PyoT

PyoT

Sep 3, 2020
Good example is you got some people complaining that they were confused cause it wasn't clear where to go next. Now with objectives in the phone it's always possible to know where to go next, but it does come across has having a bit of a checklist in some ways.
Having a task list is definitely a positive (I know it can be tedious to do so it's absolutely appreciated). But it shouldn't be absolutely necessary for every single step to help you figure out (it already isn't, but the less often you feel you have to look up how to progress the better).

I can't really give a good tip there (without playing through it again) except double-check the writing of the scenes and how much indication there is on what to do next. If the scene ends with "phew, I'm done. Time to catch some Zs" you know you gotta go to bed. That sorta thing is good.

If you want to go fancier then minimap with character locations could be a good, somewhat more organic hint. You know Fae is in her lab, it shows on the map, presumably you gotta go there if you got something to do with her ...

Also funnily enough the cleaning in the bedroom used to be 30 times, some reason the artist got a bit obsessed with cleaning stuff throughout the ship and that got toned down a lot with newer art.
The idea is fine, I think, it's just the needless clicking about without much of a motivation. I actually really appreciate any level of dynamic background (ie you clean stuff, it actually looks cleaner - nice). But (for example) I'm not a big fan of anything that feels like extra clicks, and given that your only interaction option with the "dirt" is cleaning it anyway to click on a spot, click clean, have a little comment, click on the next one ... it's just slightly tedious. No big crime or anything, but given that there isn't much else yet it's a small problem.

A stream-lined example could be something like entering a room, if cleaning quest is active, "well, gotta clean now", then your cursor changes to a rag (or doesn't, or maybe you first got to get the cleaning supplies, or...) and you just need to click all the spots, done. Same thing, slightly less tedious, I think. Depends on how fancy you wanna get ^^;

So yeah if you have any suggestions for potential puzzle types, or just simply areas that can be improved (like adding specific types of minigames, character interactions, etc...) just let us know!
I've played hundreds of adventure games and what I've learned is that ... designing good puzzles is very hard :D
(aside: also not too long Dave Gilbert of Wadjet Eye fame in his Discord talked about his puzzle designs a bit; and how they need to be balanced against the narrative. You don't want to have a huge obstacle every time you want to progress the plot when the game is meant to be more a narrative experience - essentially you gotta decide where on the "walking simulator (VN)" <-> "hardcore puzzle game" spectrum you want to be...).

But yeah, absolutely honestly, the most mystifying aspect in designing a good p&c to me has always been the puzzles. I don't mean the sorta puzzles you always see; variously adapted minigames (for example Tower of Hanoi), math puzzles (for example having 3 differently aged people and having to figure out how old the forth is) or some of the classic switch puzzles (ie switch A turns on switch B but turns off switch C, switch B turns off switch A and switch C, switch C ... figure out how to get all switches turned on). Those types of puzzles you can adapt to your narrative and players can figure them out according to their rules.

But more the good inventory puzzles that are neither so out there you got no clue on what to do nor so easy it feels like a hassle the developers just introduced to keep you busy ^^;

That being said I'd assume that good design according in a game like this one wouldn't be going too hardcore with puzzles, but just rather basic stuff that makes the experience a bit more interactive, that allows the players to explore different locations with a bit more drive ("I'm doing this now so I can get the thing that I need to solve the problem so I get to see more boobs" ... or smth).

In that regard of course anything can be a puzzle. A door doesn't properly open. Find some oil to oil the hinges. The oil can is empty. Is there anything you can find that'll replicate the effect? Squeeze it into the oil can. Oil the hinges. Door opens.
Fae wants coffee. Go make coffee. The coffee maker needs a new filter. Break into Fae's room and repurpose some fancy panties for coffee filtering purposes.
You gotta clean the bath. There's no mop. Find something that'll work as a handle and a, uh, mop head? Stick it together.
Or maybe mix some bleach out of some stuff because there's no cleaning supplies. No idea, make soap?

Find fuses for things, or pass codes, or scifithingamabobs that doathingthatsnecessary.

Maybe first time navigation needs some sort of "lining up a route" puzzle;maybe first time exploring a planet (or drudging through the snowstorm) has you go through some room labyrinth (ie you gotta go north-north-south-east-south-north or whatever and if you mess up you gotta try again or something).

... basically I think play up the whole "this is an old rust bucket of a ship that's got all sorts of problems so we gotta fix stuff all the time" and add some sort of interactivity at major points.

But like I said. I'm the opposite of confident in my puzzle designing ideas; those are just "seen elsewhere" things. Hardly interestin or creative. ^^;
I suppose technically you could look at games like JULIA Among the Stars, Primordia, Shardlight etc.; just the walkthroughs and see what the game requires the player to do to progress for some inspiration. But dunno how helpful that is.

Also, of course, I understand any of this would be all sorts of work (some more, some less); you guys gotta judge what's doable and what isn't. I got the vague feeling that ie if you give players the choice between "hey, we can add more interactivity to the sex scenes, or add more puzzles, which do you want..." ... well, that answer is going to be one answer only for most ;)

Anyway, hope this helps somehow a little ^^

• Red Heart
4.40 star(s) 5 Votes