FunkPunkGames

Game Developer
Jul 13, 2020
@FunkPunkGames

Read your reply. Thanks. I do understand about the choices, however, i would argue that they do not manifest in the "flow of the game session," which is desirable to some extent at least. Some choices obviously are going to be hidden to the player and factor in later of course. So I am not exactly talking about that. For example, I played maybe 120+ VN Ren'py games some very linear, some with yes- RPG-like choices that amount beyond stats to character development.

The problem or rather just some food for thought for you (and I mean this as positive feedback, loose suggestion) is for you to plan and consider 2 approaches to keep player engaged with "choices" in tow. First, you will naturally use variables for long-term choice paths or situations. Of course. That is desirable to break total linearity. But there's also short-term, as in the course of playing and actual update verison or at least something either story or plot-wise that signals to player that (a) one of choices you made matter.

Example: I chose the the damaged female corps mercenary. Yes that is a choice. I understand that this was a deciding factor, probably a major factor of going independent rather than siding with a faction or whatever. So yes that is a choice. So, I revise a bit what I said, compared to many other Ren'py VNs played, it does does qualify as a game centered on choices. In other words, it's one choice that has an obvious path deviation but really minor in the grand scheme or flow as defining your character or the story though, it's just a path/branch choice.

(Excuse I am going off of scratchy memory forgot character names, etc)
For example, the 2 dudes guarding the subway tunnels to the Queen and obviously a completely linear avenue. I finished the training and drinking sessions, but by "end of update" (which you seemingly corrected announcement, THANKS) there is no progress and no choice here. It is apparent you will just move forward through story and you really did not have any choice to not drink or train. It's linear. That is fine of course but I just wasn't impressed how it "ended for update" --> advice, better to by end of update, plan and make it so all that work player did with these two, it literally opens up the door to next chapter (as in going into the subway). You don't have actually proceed into subway/next chapter, but it would have be suffient to make just make a simple static art screen to obviously and overtly signal to player that they accomplished the task and in the next update they will go into the subway! INSTEAD of leaving the player to just endless drink and train without any noticeable progress. I haven't looked at the game with your 'no further progress until next update' yet but envision the tactful end-checkpoint-update... graceful. Then I would have #1 a sense of accomplishment, and #2 know definitely that I must wait.

Other choices, simple feedback. While I understand this category is lewd with sex, relationships etc. I actually disagree to some extent with other commentor about sex/handjob thing. The best thing going for this VN is the sci-fi, world-building and potential combat rather than just sex.

For example, on the character relationship/sex end. Yea, it's clear there were choices about boyfriend/girlfriending some characters as well as to what extent. This is ok, hardly why I would actually play the game/VN. (PS. clever and better if you somehow logically code with GUI a RPG-like menu/handler to be able to toggle/intent, allow switching courses like a train track). Some other commentor argued and sort of ridiculed me for thinking a Ren'py could possibly have RPG elements, which is ignorant and shows the person haven't a clue about coding or logic. Of course you can, should I make a list of highly polished games by developers with decent, average coding skills that have done this. It's python. WTF.

To me the relationship angles might be fun but not the main pull of this VN. You'r sci-fi worldbuilding is awesome here, a clear story is anticipated, so a large degree of linearity is expected (my complaint was not against that), but for example the relationship choices are minor beyond building your TEAM and then hopefully battling, surviving to make it back to city. for the PART 1. There is opportunity to augment and raise the gameplay experience within the context of a VN too. You actually have aVN setup far superior to a cliche lewd game scenario. Just for food-for-thought. If you are taking break for whatever reason including your computer hardware - great, I think you have a great setup, graphics etc. I understand why you would break to keep the quality.

I was 100% engaged in game, the problem was I kept looping and grinding basically for no reason for like 2 hours after the update really end. I am still of course 110% onboard. Your start is great here. Great if you worked in notices asap, which will be valuable to retain players who play this version to the latest..

Since your onhold, I would really also consider draftboarding distinct planned updates to facilitate distinct chapters with easily defined and recognizable checkpoints as well as short-term choice signals per update (in addition to your long-term variables) AND that instill a significant sense of progress and reward for player during each update.

Yours up to this point was fine, aside the checkpoint issues. I suppose I would agree with the feedback that amount of content might be the issue. I actually played a lot and think that the game was just very good leaving the player wanting more!! This is a good sign that your game, graphics is spot on, definitely the potential that elevates the potential a cut above the rest and for me highly anticipated.

Me, personally, I am marking down in my notes to check back later as you put it onhold, which is fine. I am sure it will be worth the wait. The last thing you want to do is rush CyberSin: Red Ice. Funk it up, don't fuck it up!

Spend the time while waiting for your computer upgrade to maybe layer in content and some other elements, absolutely would be time well spent over graphics actually at this point. I can't help on the financial end sadly but wish you well and maybe some ardent game funders might assist you. I hope so!!

I imagine you have the story, paths all set. I know you can do good art/gui. The last step is tight packaging and structured update chalked full of 'content' and well-defined checkpoints. May also some other gui/configurable player driven elements (like the relationship toggle, other rpg-lite elements). I would not call it too ambitious to even maybe code a few die roll random battles, like gangs or new characters, factions (if you are indie), street encounters, that may penalize, reward player in cash/other, destroy defenses etc. This ** could be ** done. I am sure you understand what I am saying. Many games use meters and stats, sometimes they are fun. You can also code in against abuse of over-grinding by setting simple variable flags or when any chapter/update is met to prevent player from either destroying or elevating themself to keep a desired, restrained balance.

RPG-lite and enough choices that reveal within the scope of playing an update is a good thing. And for this VN/game. I don't mind waiting. I guess I would rather play a VN with much more significant content than a VN with not. This is where I find myself today. I really am tired of playing VN with little content and waiting. I would rather have at least significant sections. I end up making a list due to time to play some later when more fleshed out and just drop others because of the disjointed nature of forgetting wth I was playing!

PS. Cybersin: Red Ice goes on my definite -checkback list due to hold and bookmarked here certainly. The last experience is also why I suggest tight large chunks, which should great structure and design, like a book + game. It ensures it won't be forgotten at the least. And I think experienced game players and supporters might recognize this too, so good on with a decision to put onhold, maybe it's by providence (and hopefully short-term).

On the other hand, hope you get your computer upgrade soon!

I suggest or even advocate these extras and a highly structured approach (per update/chapter) because your game is worth it. Looking forward to future, will defintely check back and play a next update. I'd even start anew if necessary. Good luck
Thank you for your lengthy but very interesting reply.

I think you were able to see through many aspects that maybe escaped some other players. In the regard that the story is the real protagonist here, not the sexual aspect of the game. Sure, you may have options for it, but it's just an option.

One big problem that I had during the development and creation of this game was the fact that it is my first game and had no previous knowledge of coding. Had to learn from scratch everything, and I don't hide it at all. I'm quite happy with all the progress that I made in just two years. But of course, things like an RPG system and a fighting system are still quite complicated for me.

Another big problem is the lacking of good hardware to support the project. Which slowed down everything I could do.

Once I will have the new computer this problem will go away, and I will probably introduce more bulky and well-packaged updates at a time, as you also suggested, giving the player a major sense of entirety in each version of the game. Keep in mind though, that since I left Patreon I will not get any more donations for doing this and I will exclusively continue this project during my free time, when I want and how I want. This will be a good warning so that I will avoid reading people complaining about an update taking too much time.

A thing that also held me back was the Patreon limitations regarding content. What could really happen if there were criminal bands lurking around the streets of the Barrows? Probably bad bad things to the protagonist. I could have never explored that side of content. Now I have the freedom of doing it (and probably will).

About the Avernus and the two guards, Spike and Heinz, I disagree with you. You indeed have the choice IF you want to explore the place and IF you want to drink or train your gun skills. It's not something that you need or must do, it's your choice, and the Journal just tells you that, if you want, there is the option to do it.

Of course, now it could seem linear, because you don't know what will happen next, but I assure you that it will not be the case.

In the discussion of minor freedom of choice, you should take the example of the sentry turrets (internal and external). By owning them you have access to options that are otherwise inaccessible to the player, like the option to threaten Sinclair or Street Tony in key story moments.

While, in the discussion of major freedom of choice, you can actually assemble your personalized team (the mercenaries are just a first step), how they work together, how they behave together, how and if you'll have any or no romantic involvement with them and how they will react to the challenges ahead. Also, Karma and other STATS will affect the options that you will have in dialogues.

As you said, being a story brings some degree of linearity, but there will be ample margin for the player's contingency.

I have a lot planned ahead and I will try my best to not "FUCK IT UP" :D (luckily I think I will also count on your feedback in case I could derail from the "notfuckitup" process).

Reactions: heego

muffinman69

Sep 29, 2021
I like what you made, graphically, world-building etc. I recognize and you actually have the game going decent here. Glad you improved the end-of-update checkpoint.

I think from what I am seeing from the front-end of this project that may I recommend: #1 do not be intimidated by 'coding skills' at all. If you can build the logic in Ren'py engine than you can surely (I'm just saying, don't be intimidated) and actually code in light RPG / stat elements.

I investigated and actually built a funny little intro game in an hour, 3D modelling is not something I can deal with, so I had to bow out due to graphics and time at moment. But I know that if I was actually invested in time "at your level" familiarity with Ren'py syntax, it would be likely very easy to employ SIMPLE VARIABLES. Keyword, simple!

Do not be intimated or underestimate yourself. A language is just a language with different syntax. Use of "variables" + "conditional logic" is all the same. You store numeric (numbers) or alphanumeric (text) in "variables." You then use conditional statements to do things.

Ex. Character_Bowel_Movement = 0. [Player takes a dump] IF player [takes dump action] THEN Character_Bowel_Movement = Character_Bowel_Movement + 1;

This variable can then be used anytime, total flexibility for employing 'a conditional test' (there are only a few methods in all of programming, any language, all the same) to do things, like changing images in GUI, making "choices". There are also hundreds of pre-built function to do things with no difficulty like random die rolling, ie. IF [players attacks other] THEN HIT_VARIABLE = random(10) [the random function will produce a random # between 1 and 10]
IF HIT_VARIABLE > 5 THEN OPPONENT_HEALTH = OPPONENT_HEALTH - 1;

IF Character_Bowel_Movement = 0 THEN [display empty bladder picture]
IF Character_Bowel_Movement = 1 THEN [display 25% bladder picture]
IF Character_Bowel_Movement > 100 THEN [display dump master badge] AND [playsound "ass-ets/sound/ogg/toilettenflush.ogg"]

[Ask player their starting age] [player chooses 23] Character_Age = 23;
IF Day = 50 THEN Character_Age = Character_Age + 1 (now the viarable Character_Age is 24]
IF Character_Age > 90 THEN GODEATH(); [call a function or jump to line code section to process, to whatever Ren'py syntax]

You can do it! ;) just research, i suppose since it's python "Variables" and "conditional logic" in Ren'py, python, javascript etc.

Maybe start small with one variable and try to apply in game. No reason to bite more than you can chew, but I think you would really be able to tackle it. Not much different that using Ren'py statements and when I took a look Ren'py seemed accomodating.

But otherwise, VN is all good ... so good job. Just some extras for your consideration. I have seen a few really good Ren'py VN use standard gui, interface and obviously employ a few simple variables and GUI images etc to greatly enhance and make the VN even more gamelike and awesome. You don't have to go crazy, and variables just store information for you so you can use them anytime (think of it like that - very powerful even with very basic design that you actually already understand).

In any case, I like what I played, so there's some suggestions and things to think about while your waiting for your computer upgrade. Again, good luck!

Last edited:

Freshman22

May 29, 2019
I've updated the MEGA links with an updated version with warnings when there is an ending of content (which is also stated in the Journal for the Main Quest).
Could you reply to my DM, I want to pay you through PayPal or online banking instead of subscribing to your Patreon. This game is fantastic. Especially the Isaiah scenes lol

Reactions: Inconsolable

FunkPunkGames

Game Developer
Jul 13, 2020
Forum Sigs
View attachment 2159822 View attachment 2159823 View attachment 2159824 View attachment 2159825 View attachment 2159826
Code:
https://attachments.f95zone.to/2022/11/2182999_CS_1.gif
https://attachments.f95zone.to/2022/11/2183000_CS_2.gif
https://attachments.f95zone.to/2022/11/2183001_CS_3.gif
https://attachments.f95zone.to/2022/11/2183002_CS_4.gif
https://attachments.f95zone.to/2022/11/2183003_CS_5.gif
Oh, whoa, those are so cool. Thank you!

Reactions: AncestralGroove

someguy42

Jun 24, 2019
> Elsa Morganth, daughter of the chairman of one of the largest megacorporations in control of the world.
> After a mysterious accident, Elsa finds herself indicted for a crime she didn't commit.
Why didn't he just buy her freedom?

FunkPunkGames

Game Developer
Jul 13, 2020
> Elsa Morganth, daughter of the chairman of one of the largest megacorporations in control of the world.
> After a mysterious accident, Elsa finds herself indicted for a crime she didn't commit.
Why didn't he just buy her freedom?
Simply because the crime she was accused of was too big to "buy out" her innocence, and of course, her father tried to follow that way, but it didn't work.

Don't get me wrong. In the Cybersin universe, elite citizens usually use their Credits to cover up their crimes, usually.

But, in this specific case, a Chairman and Member of the Council of Megacorps died.

FunkPunkGames

Game Developer
Jul 13, 2020
How to unlock 12th gallery scene?
Hello there,

You must have helped Street Tony with his breathing problem the first time or at least bought the breathing mask from him. Then proceed with the story as usual; this event will pop up while you work at the clinic.

Reactions: ginpapi_9

FunkPunkGames

Game Developer
Jul 13, 2020
when we will get new upd any know ?
Yeah, I think I know :D

Basically, I just need a bit more time to purchase the new hardware (probably at the beginning of May).

Then, I will have to set up everything and pass all my work on to the new machine, but I will keep you updated on the progress.

(I will probably also revisit some of the made content. I am watching closely the progress with AI images but they seem quite unpopular so far so I will stick with Daz 3D for the time being)

fokrrk11

Feb 17, 2021
Yeah, I think I know :D

Basically, I just need a bit more time to purchase the new hardware (probably at the beginning of May).

Then, I will have to set up everything and pass all my work on to the new machine, but I will keep you updated on the progress.

(I will probably also revisit some of the made content. I am watching closely the progress with AI images but they seem quite unpopular so far so I will stick with Daz 3D for the time being)
it's good you know

I can not wait . just take your time

4.30 star(s) 15 Votes