hui12

Oct 1, 2017
To keep it legal for Patreon's purposes, the funding he gets there is for Melody only so let's leave it at that. If you think he's just milking it for greed and feel that strongly about it, don't play and don't support him. For DMD, right now and not what he was getting before, his contributions are minimal compared to Melody but compared to other devs, sure he's making a little.

Right now, DMD gets minimal funding compared to Melody and I'm not going to bother to include taxes and other costs that he has to pay for both.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
It is necessary to develop the game by the fans, in order for “mrdots” to finally forget about “Melody”. Updates every three months - an attempt to collect as much money as possible. IMHO
I like the "DMD", I want to play it, but I do not like the policy with rare updates and that people are holding a fool. It is unlikely that the author will appeal to conscience, therefore it is necessary to look for other options, for example:

Walg

Visual art is my magnet. Currently inactive
GFX Designer
Donor
Oct 5, 2018
I like the "DMD", I want to play it, but I do not like the policy with rare updates and that people are holding a fool. It is unlikely that the author will appeal to conscience, therefore it is necessary to look for other options, for example:
Well I am gonna need a source on that then.
Can probably kill two birds with one stone. I'm happy to be corrected on the next point but looking at his official download page right now, it looks like a one-off donation to get DMD. If that's the case then it's not rocket science but if it's a monthly subscription, that's fine it's not "minimal funding".

It might be his business model where he needs a bit more cash than others so to cover his costs so he has to dedicate more time to Melody but if DMD is currently based off a one-off donation model, it's a no-brainer that he'd focus his time on his main income stream.

goobdoob

Conversation Conqueror
Modder
Respected User
Dec 17, 2017
It is necessary to develop the game by the fans, in order for “mrdots” to finally forget about “Melody”. Updates every three months - an attempt to collect as much money as possible. IMHO
That's bullshit. I will not talk about "minimal funding", just go to its page. Many publishers of the genre remained on Patreon after a wave of bans, some released games, others continue to release updates every month. Especially sly people use the situation to make their wallet thicker, this is greed.
You're new here, and I'd bet you haven't read this thread. It's all been hashed out here before.

When Patreon banned incest content, Mr.Dots tried to pull a fast one and tell patrons that it could be re-enabled by deleting a file in the distribution. Patreon didn't like this, and permanently banned DMD. They also said he couldn't use Patreon to fund it, so if he funds it with Patreon money he'll get banned. He's not dragging his heels milking DMD, he's working on another game 2 months out of 3, to pay the bills. If you don't like that, that's fine. But don't go spouting off about things you have no knowledge of.

Melody pays the bills. Sure, some patrons are doing it for DMD, but if Melody wasn't a good product, they'd be out of business.

Well I am gonna need a source on that then.
DMD is funded by the "Buy me a coffee" link on his website. No mention on Patreon. Patreon funds do not pay for its creation. We don't know his exact finances, but think about it - would "But me a coffee" at $5 a pop be anywhere near his funding from Patreon?

hui12

Oct 1, 2017
You're new here, and I'd bet you haven't read this thread. It's all been hashed out here before.

When Patreon banned incest content, Mr.Dots tried to pull a fast one and tell patrons that it could be re-enabled by deleting a file in the distribution. Patreon didn't like this, and permanently banned DMD. They also said he couldn't use Patreon to fund it, so if he funds it with Patreon money he'll get banned. He's not dragging his heels milking DMD, he's working on another game 2 months out of 3, to pay the bills. If you don't like that, that's fine. But don't go spouting off about things you have no knowledge of.

Melody pays the bills. Sure, some patrons are doing it for DMD, but if Melody wasn't a good product, they'd be out of business.

DMD is funded by the "Buy me a coffee" link on his website. No mention on Patreon. Patreon funds do not pay for its creation. We don't know his exact finances, but think about it - would "But me a coffee" at $5 a pop be anywhere near his funding from Patreon?
I read this topic when all this happened, you can not say that I am new here judging only by posts (or how else have you decided?). "Melody" is a product that exists only because of "DMD".

goobdoob

Conversation Conqueror
Modder
Respected User
Dec 17, 2017
I read this topic when all this happened, you can not say that I am new here judging only by posts. "Melody" is a product that exists only because of "DMD".
You have 15 posts. How else should I judge you?

Clearly, if you read and understood what was going on when it happened, you wouldn't be complaining about Melody and calling him a milker. You wouldn't suggest that he fund DMD with Patreon, because you'd already have known it was banned.

The only reason we have DMD ongoing is because he was able to get Melody up and running and do well with it. Did you know that he had to run the Melody outline and first script past Patreon censors? They did that because he'd already tried to game the system once, and they wanted to make sure he didn't continue to violate their policies. Melody and Mr.Dots are under high scrutiny.

Deleted member 900601

Sep 21, 2018
@Walg

Well, if you look at mrdotsgame page, which has DMD (and lots of news about DMD on the front page), there is a page called "Support me!" which specifically states that you can supports development of his games on Patreon, and considering he only has two, one could argue that the funding from Patreon goes towards both games at undisclosed proportions. Obviously, as you've said, we don't know his exact finances, but we can make an educated guess by looking at his Patreon, which is where my original numbers can from, and as you've said, there are several additional income sources (one time purchase for DMD on site, buy me a coffee, paypal donations, etc...)

So with the amount of funding he has available, and from the argument that he states that his patreon money goes to supporting both games on his website, my argument is that the proportion dedicated to DMD is decided purely by MrDots, but undisclosed on his Patreon to avoid any repercussions on there.

Of course this is all speculations we've been entertaining ourselves with this morning.

Reactions: proximus

Londo_Mollari

Donor
Respected User
Sep 7, 2017
btw, since steam changed it's rules for adult games ... do you guys think there will be any chance DMD can be sold there?

Maybe even with paying for every update (like some modern games do), sold a mini chapters - so MrDots could earn more from it than just selling it once (no real substitution for a regular income like he has/had with Patreon, but more than he would earn by just selling the whole game once).

Reactions: hui12
May 14, 2017
Whats the problem? One way of getting DMD to go faster "just one idea" is to annonce that you pay for Melody on patron site and get a code for DMD. If people new that they released DMD every month they would start paying again to patreon-site.

Walg

Visual art is my magnet. Currently inactive
GFX Designer
Donor
Oct 5, 2018
I read this topic when all this happened, you can not say that I am new here judging only by posts. "Melody" is a product that exists only because of "DMD".
Then you should be fully aware that he's trying to protect his main income stream so that he can continue to produce the things that he wants. He made announcements everywhere about the change. The patrons had an option to stop but they continued on supporting Melody. @goobdoob's trying to help you get that point and how we're fortunate that DMD's still here.

@Walg

Well, if you look at mrdotsgame page, which has DMD (and lots of news about DMD on the front page), there is a page called "Support me!" which specifically states that you can supports development of his games on Patreon, and considering he only has two, one could argue that the funding from Patreon goes towards both games at undisclosed proportions. Obviously, as you've said, we don't know his exact finances, but we can make an educated guess by looking at his Patreon, which is where my original numbers can from, and as you've said, there are several additional income sources (one time purchase for DMD on site, buy me a coffee, paypal donations, etc...)

So with the amount of funding he has available, and from the argument that he states that his patreon money goes to supporting both games on his website, my argument is that the proportion dedicated to DMD is decided purely by MrDots, but undisclosed on his Patreon to avoid any repercussions on there.

Of course this is all speculations we've been entertaining ourselves with this morning.
I get what you were saying before and from a business standpoint you have a point (At the end it's one pot) but from a legal perspective, considering the high scrutiny that Melody has, I wouldn't be surprised if he's asked by Patreon for a summary of his finances from his Patreon income.

It's not a stretch to consider the possibility that he would use that cash as one pot then decide on the proportion as you mentioned (On the record I'm not stating that he is doing this but stating the possibility exists). If they're asking for finances, it'd be walking a very fine line legally speaking to fund the development of a banned game.

btw, since steam changed it's rules for adult games ... do you guys think there will be any chance DMD can be sold there?

Maybe even with paying for every update (like some modern games do), sold a mini chapters - so MrDots could earn more from it than just selling it once (no real substitution for a regular income like he has/had with Patreon, but more than he would earn by just selling the whole game once).
It depends how steam's worded their new rules when you take into account incest. Although not completely illegal around the world, it's enough of a taboo topic to cause friction. So it all boils down to wording.

Whats the problem? One way of getting DMD to go faster "just one idea" is to annonce that you pay for Melody on patron site and get a code for DMD. If people new that they released DMD every month they would start paying again to patreon-site.
Fairly certain that due to the scrutiny of Melody anything that's related to DMD that's posted on his Patreon would be outright banned. Legally speaking his Patreon can't mention/imply/link anything on DMD or incest.

Reactions: fried

Pantisocrat

Jul 3, 2017
The Patreon money being separate from the BMAC money and the two streams never crossing is just notional, similar to what they call a 'legal fiction', imo. I imagine Patreon are entirely aware and simply want the plausible deniability.

Ed B

Sep 24, 2017
If you're donating hard cash to DMD or Melody, sure you have a say but until then it's best to appreciate that he's even continuing the game in the first place with minimal funding.
Mr.Dots was making over $40,000.00 a month for 2 yrs for DMD so don't spill out the minimal funding junk

Reactions: rogosh

gilius

Mar 6, 2018
Mr.Dots was making over $40,000.00 a month for 2 yrs for DMD so don't spill out the minimal funding junk
really? :hushedface:

DMD is a one of them best game ever but 40,000$ it's huge.

And to think that I just started trying to translate it into French in my spare time :disappointed:
(a little remuneration wouldn't have hurt.)

Edit : why do people complain about an update every three months?
have the update all month, or all the three less what does it change? except to have more developed content at each release

Reactions: Ed B

Simon Jester

Aug 14, 2018
Here we go again... every time the game is about to get an update, dozens of idiots come and start talking shit as usual. Happens every time.
So anyone have a firm date, yet? :) Inquiring minds want to know. So is MRDots in America? If so I'm guessing before Thanksgiving?

paul1257

Jan 31, 2018
I'm looking forward to the start of day 18 (Sunday Morning) as the girls are going to give MC his reward for winning the mini game ( path I'm on). Also hoping that D & Elena Finally have a full blown lesbian scene as love Elana in this game. She's always been there for D as a friend.
As Rachel still thinks that they are coming home on Monday,so hoping that D & Elena catch Rachel & Frank Fucking and take pic's for blackmail plot.
Would like to also see that MC & D finally imbrace their loving relationship and imbrace the incest part but still not sure if this will happen in this update.
Betting on maybe D trying deep throating MC's Massive cock and agreeing to nude photo shoots, but only guessing (hoping)

3.80 star(s) 325 Votes