Should i reduce content for Samantha? (Smaller/faster updates)

• Yes

Votes: 165 23.8%
  • No

Votes: 527 76.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ReplayTech

Game Developer
Sep 21, 2021
We have finally decided.

Although our free time is limited, we will not abandon the project, we like it and want to continue it.

We realized that Samantha's story is richer and deeper than the Alice and/or James story. I think it's thanks to the new writer who joined our small team.

For this reason the production method adopted initially is no longer viable.

If we were keep working in this way we would waste too much time producing renders without being able to make much progress in the story.

We also want to fill in and improve the quality of the previous stories (Alice and James) and also improve the playability.

All these changes lead us to a single solution, transforming the game into a point and click graphic adventure.

Since this will take some time and we don't want to remove content but add it, our Patreon page, therefore all payments, will remain paused until the day we have reached an alpha stage of this conversion.

We will start working on it as soon as possible and will keep you updated with new screenshots and renders.

As previously mentioned, we are available to refund anyone who wishes.

Reactions: Lukereds

DuckDairyDip

Feb 21, 2018
How exactly would a point and click graphic adventure differ from the current presentation and make development more viable?

ReplayTech

Game Developer
Sep 21, 2021
How exactly would a point and click graphic adventure differ from the current presentation and make development more viable?
Many of the problems are related to the quantity of renders to be made.
For example at the moment we almost use one render per dialogue, this may work if you have few dialogues, but this is not the case.
In a point-and-click adventure you can show a portrait of the characters on a background.
Rendering a map on which to move is certainly less impactful than rendering multiple renders that give the idea of movement and that accompany the player throughout the story.
The time to render a full scene is much longer than it takes to render it "empty".
As for example, rendering a 90 frame animation in an empty scene (alpha background) can take around 10 minutes to render, while doing it with a complete scene can take days.
The game's introduction video (around 450 renders) took 9 days to render.
The current game contains over 4500 renders and 75 videos, which required a lot of effort and several months of rendering.
The problem is not just the rendering itself, once the PC is launched it does practically everything by itself, the problem is in the creation of the scene to render.
Creating a scene, positioning the characters, posing them, creating adequate lighting, positioning the camera, adding filters and post process takes a lot of time.
We are not ready to give up on the project yet, if we want to continue we must reduce these times.

Many of you have reported the difficulty and confusion of playing with four characters.
We have no intention of reducing the characters, we like the idea of showing the story this way.
The point and click adventure gives us the opportunity to insert a button to allow the player to switch between characters and make it fun.

The third problem is related to the story written by me (the Alice and James story arc) versus the one written by the writer (Sam's story).
Sam's is deeper and more impactful.
There was already the idea of rewriting the previous stories from scratch, while maintaining the structure.
But this would have forced players to start our game all over again.
Given the previous problems we thought that the best solution is to rewrite it in a point-and-click adventure style.

As you can see, it wasn't a decision taken on the spot, we thought about it for a long time and even if it means working for a long time without seeing great results, we think it's the best path for us and for DbD.

Tommy1897

Feb 4, 2020
For example at the moment we almost use one render per dialogue, this may work if you have few dialogues, but this is not the case.
In a point-and-click adventure you can show a portrait of the characters on a background.
Rendering a map on which to move is certainly less impactful than rendering multiple renders that give the idea of movement and that accompany the player throughout the story.
The time to render a full scene is much longer than it takes to render it "empty".
As for example, rendering a 90 frame animation in an empty scene (alpha background) can take around 10 minutes to render, while doing it with a complete scene can take days.
The current game contains over 4500 renders and 75 videos, which required a lot of effort and several months of rendering.
The problem is not just the rendering itself, once the PC is launched it does practically everything by itself, the problem is in the creation of the scene to render.
Creating a scene, positioning the characters, posing them, creating adequate lighting, positioning the camera, adding filters and post process takes a lot of time.
We are not ready to give up on the project yet, if we want to continue we must reduce these times.

Many of you have reported the difficulty and confusion of playing with four characters.
We have no intention of reducing the characters, we like the idea of showing the story this way.
The point and click adventure gives us the opportunity to insert a button to allow the player to switch between characters and make it fun.

The third problem is related to the story written by me (the Alice and James story arc) versus the one written by the writer (Sam's story).
There was already the idea of rewriting the previous stories from scratch, while maintaining the structure.
Given the previous problems we thought that the best solution is to rewrite it in a point-and-click adventure style.

As you can see, it wasn't a decision taken on the spot, we thought about it for a long time and even if it means working for a long time without seeing great results, we think it's the best path for us and for DbD.
I dont think so. Better like this than
point and click. Plus, the real protagonist Is Alice, not Samantha. If you're going to make these changes, i think you Will ruin the game, that's a pity cause It was a very good game. But if you Say so, I'm going to delete It.

Harsh 007

Jun 7, 2018
Don't want to be sound like a dick but it is what it is so yeah......i see the netorare tag can someone tell me is it COMPLETELY avoidable.....?

Reactions: dregon87

dregon87

May 6, 2019
Don't want to be sound like a dick but it is what it is so yeah......i see the netorare tag can someone tell me is it COMPLETELY avoidable.....?
"Don't want to be sound like a dick" Everybody has their preferences ect... Its hard for me understand NTR meaning but so far the beauty of this game that you can avoid everything, i never seen lesbian scene or incest cuz i simply refuse them, and if NTR its a fancy word for cheating then yes so far you can avoid it.

Reactions: Harsh 007

4rotciv8

Aug 18, 2022

alice and james should be the main focus. many of us love it when M.I.L.F.'s become serious with their (step) sons!!!!!

dregon87

May 6, 2019
So they're go to turn it into a piece of crap point and click sandbox, another one to call it quits on.
Yep. seems like one more good game gonna fall into a trashcan of "interesting decisions" nobody wants to just click on some furniture. This game been so good with the direction the dev choose before that, the main quality of this game been wide spectrum of choices and this game became top 2 for me and i am hard to please and at this moment i have only 4 games that I like and wait for updates, now its seem like only 3 gonna be left.

R.I.P :cry:

ReplayTech

Game Developer
Sep 21, 2021
Yep. seems like one more good game gonna fall into a trashcan of "interesting decisions" nobody wants to just click on some furniture. This game been so good with the direction the dev choose before that, the main quality of this game been wide spectrum of choices and this game became top 2 for me and i am hard to please and at this moment i have only 4 games that I like and wait for updates, now its seem like only 3 gonna be left.

I am sorry to hear it, but we had just two way: Abandon the project or try in a different way.

The main reason behind this is that we got a huge project to work on and this will get most of our free time.
Unfortunately this project was too time expensive.
As some of you already knows, we are not trying to become rich with this game, so the income was quite low.
We cannot refuse paid job just because we are working on this (almost) free project.

We do like the main idea and the story and before abandon it we wanna try to transform it in something less time consuming.
Also the huge project we are working on is a point and click adventure, so we are creating tools and modifying an engine to do that.

I know that some of you won't like the new direction, we may understand that, but honestly we did not find any other solutions.

mulerider

Donor
Apr 9, 2020

I agree , and who in there right mind thought that ugly shit trash Sam is more interesting than Alice, and as far as renders go, reuse the same render for 5 or 6 different dialogue, who cares

dregon87

May 6, 2019
I am sorry to hear it, but we had just two way: Abandon the project or try in a different way.

The main reason behind this is that we got a huge project to work on and this will get most of our free time.
Unfortunately this project was too time expensive.
As some of you already knows, we are not trying to become rich with this game, so the income was quite low.
We cannot refuse paid job just because we are working on this (almost) free project.

We do like the main idea and the story and before abandon it we wanna try to transform it in something less time consuming.
Also the huge project we are working on is a point and click adventure, so we are creating tools and modifying an engine to do that.

I know that some of you won't like the new direction, we may understand that, but honestly we did not find any other solutions.
reuse the same render for 5 or 6 different dialogue, who cares
Like he said u can reduce amount of renders, you can cut out Sam POV, idk what is this writer you so proud of but so far Sam story been kind of mid, just some stereotypical young (18+) lesbian girl with "difficult teenager" problems which u can see almost in every move/TV series, and i am one of those who voted for not reducing Sam content, but at the end of the day most of players here because of Alice. But anyway u already decided ur path, its really sad to loose game like this and its sad this game don't get enough attention that can save it from this fate just cuz couple wrong turns on the road. I whish you best of the luck with your new P&C project!

I'll go get a fire extinguisher for my burnt ass :mad:

Bacara

Aug 29, 2021
Like he said u can reduce amount of renders, you can cut out Sam POV, idk what is this writer you so proud of but so far Sam story been kind of mid, just some stereotypical young (18+) lesbian girl with "difficult teenager" problems which u can see almost in every move/TV series, and i am one of those who voted for not reducing Sam content, but at the end of the day most of players here because of Alice. But anyway u already decided ur path, its really sad to loose game like this and its sad this game don't get enough attention that can save it from this fate just cuz couple wrong turns on the road. I whish you best of the luck with your new P&C project!

I'll go get a fire extinguisher for my burnt ass :mad:
Alice should have been the only main protagonist juggling two protagonists is difficult enough but 4 is a step too far in my opinion.

mulerider

Donor
Apr 9, 2020
Alice should have been the only main protagonist juggling two protagonists is difficult enough but 4 is a step too far in my opinion.
Very true, 4 is just total asinine, one , two at the most. Alice should be the main, not that ugly ass bitch Sam that good for nothing

Reactions: dregon87
3.30 star(s) 6 Votes