3D-Daz Daz3d Art - Show Us Your DazSkill

5.00 star(s) 12 Votes

rowar

Apr 14, 2020
Can anyone give me any tips with lightning? I feel like these are coming out really dark I'm using two spotlights, are there pre set lighting settings I can download or render settings I need to adjust?

View attachment 640599
Light up is possible through camera - headlamp on, or in render environment map or environment intensity, in general rendering- auto headlamp. Play around and you will see.

Reactions: Morgan42

SecsMurphy

Dec 25, 2018
Can anyone give me any tips with lightning? I feel like these are coming out really dark I'm using two spotlights, are there pre set lighting settings I can download or render settings I need to adjust?

View attachment 640599
Looks good to me, make sure your headlamps are turned off (Render settings--> General --> Auto headlamp)

You can also adjust the exposure (Render settings--> Tone mapping--> Exposure value)

Here is a link to a tutorial on three-point lighting you could find useful

Cheers,

SM

Reactions: DooRetsam and 3DC

GNVE

Jul 20, 2018
Well there are many ways to do it. I'll show you some easy ways to improve your rendering. The first two are the quick and dirty the third way goes a bit more into depth on how to use the spot light in the most basic way. Hope it helps.

I'm guessing you rendered it with the standard rendering settings. This means the sky dome is active. (You see 'the sun' coming from the right.) This washes out the spot lights entirely. So you can rotate the sky dome or the scene to have the sun more heads on. (below is standard v.s. rotated and the settings used)
1588367763406.png 1588367865817.png 1588367945196.png
Second thing you can do is you increase the iso in the rendering (again standard v.s. changed and the settings used)
1588367763406.png 1588368335571.png 1588368371197.png
third thing is to change the spot light settings so they aren't washed out. I used a head on spot light which you don't want for your render but is good enough for the explanation but note that the face looks flat due to the 'wrong' placement of the light. (below is without spotlight v.s. with standard v.s. adjusted) Now this settings will only light her face as the beam is reasonably focussed and close.
1588367763406.png 1588369021252.png 1588369129333.png 1588369233972.png
To make it a little more obvious here is the same light but pink to better show what it adds:
1588369500279.png 1588369568992.png
If you want to light the entire body you can either get the light further away or defocus the beam. It will probably also require you to increase the lumen on the spot. (standard spot v.s. standard spot with increased lumen (12500 lm) v.s. less focussed spot (125000 lm) v.s. far away spot (1000000 lm)) again in pink to show the differences.
1588370098166.png 1588370224242.png 1588370344016.png 1588370399418.png 1588370568631.png 1588370618719.png
by combining all this and placing the spots in a better place you can get this please note I turned off the dome lighting and set it to scene only. And note I usually don't do portrait shots so it is far from amazing. (3 spots one from the front, one from the rightfront side and one from the back shining down.) I also added a false colour one to show what light adds what. and an overview of the scene.
1588371894491.png 1588372048927.png 1588372163287.png

ArturiousDesign

Engaged Member
Jan 31, 2019
Would any of these help?

I've seen a bunch of these. I think the "be merry" poses work best.

Reactions: zjalaran

DiosDecay

Mar 2, 2018
While I do like these renders, I feel that the kicking pose and some expressions don't sit right with me. I feel as though the kicking pose doesn't look like there is any power behind it, perhaps she just needs to turn her upper body slightly, if it is a custom pose maybe look at some reference images. It looks like they are posing for a photo, rather than it being a shot during a spar.

I also like this render but just be careful with the clipping on the guys left hand. The females left leg needs to be rotated outwards to be the same as her underneath leg, while in some dance moves the leg can do that (it would make the hips incorrect though), but for that particular move it needs to be the same as the underneath leg.

Falcon6

Mar 15, 2018
While I totally agree with many of the examples given to you already, I am going to highly recommend there IS a pre-setting lights asset you can download that will make your learning of creating your own individual lighting much easier. Go download this:

https://f95zone.to/threads/boss-pro-light-set-for-portraits-promos.43923/

It will load presets for closeup portraits and full body renders in many different varieties, both using different recommended angles and light settings.

The reason I recommend it for you is that there is a teaching principle that every educator/teacher knows (I have 2 teaching degrees). You "Teach (learn) from the Known to the Unknown". DAZ Studio is way complicated for new users. You will get extremely frustrated trying to figure out "good lighting" if you can't even create/move the lights where you want them (or need them) to be in the first place. Or if you can't even get a "standard" 3-light scenario configured to start with. Boss Lights will do all of that for you with a single mouse click for a variety of lighting scenarios. THEN to learn what different light SETTINGS for each light will do is simply a matter of changing the parameter for any of the lights and seeing what the result is (as others said, turn off the Dome and Headlamp lights and use only the Scene light in the Render tab). You can enable/disable any, some, whichever light(s) you want in the Scene tab to learn a variety of "light combinations". Also change intensities, colors, etc in the lights settings (either the Parameters, Lights, or Render tabs). Once you grasp how the different POSITIONS and SETTINGS of the lights affect a scene (the Unknown for you right now), THEN you can go about learning how to create/move your own lights for a scene. Using a preset positions the lights for you and starts you at a "Known", then allows you to play around with the settings and progress ("learn") towards your "Unknown".

There is nothing wrong with using a pre-set of lights to learn how they work. Start with a preset ("Known"), then move on to learning how changing settings, etc affects things (your "Unknown" right now). I've only been rendering for about 2 months, and initially trying to figure out light positioning, etc, on my own was a nightmare. Then I installed Boss Lights and by just playing around with the "already installed for a scene" lights in it, it was literally like "The lights went on in my head!" about how to do it.

I have no connection in any way with the development or author of Boss Lights. I'm just recommending what a good teacher would tell you to do in your case. The instructional videos others have recommended will even make a lot more sense after you have played around with Boss Lights and got a feel for it. Note Boss Lights is for "studio" type lighting. Other lighting scenarios (outdoors, full room lighting, etc) will require different methods like the ones other have mentioned. But your post included a "studio" type render, so use Boss Lights to help learn how to do that kind of lighting.

Last edited:

Kentyrr

Chasing Sunsets Dev/Artist
Game Developer
Nov 29, 2019
DiosDecay said:
I also like this render but just be careful with the clipping on the guys left hand. The females left leg needs to be rotated outwards to be the same as her underneath leg, while in some dance moves the leg can do that (it would make the hips incorrect though), but for that particular move it needs to be the same as the underneath leg.
Thanks for the insight. The hand does look like its clipping, but it's not. I think the lighting is giving off that illusion possibly. Thanks again! Much appreciated

Reactions: DiosDecay
5.00 star(s) 12 Votes