3D-Daz Daz3d Art - Show Us Your DazSkill

5.00 star(s) 12 Votes

DillyD

Dec 22, 2019
Can anyone provide some tips on how to light my character in this interior scene? Currently the ONLY light I'm using is a horizontal ghost light along the ceiling, which I've found provides decent ambient lighting. However, as you can see, the character is too dark. I tried using the 3-point light technique (again with ghost lights) but I found no matter how much tweaking I did, things just did not look good and there were still many dark patches on my character. I'm not too concerned with it looking "realistic" per se, I just want the character to really pop and stand out. Any advice is greatly appreciated!
denoised_LightingHelp.png

SecsMurphy

Dec 25, 2018
Can anyone provide some tips on how to light my character in this interior scene? Currently the ONLY light I'm using is a horizontal ghost light along the ceiling, which I've found provides decent ambient lighting. However, as you can see, the character is too dark. I tried using the 3-point light technique (again with ghost lights) but I found no matter how much tweaking I did, things just did not look good and there were still many dark patches on my character. I'm not too concerned with it looking "realistic" per se, I just want the character to really pop and stand out. Any advice is greatly appreciated!
View attachment 668246
I would first make sure your camera headlight is not on.

Try removing the ghost light. and hiding the ceiling.

Make sure the render settings show 'scene only' (under environment).

Create a spotlight, change its area to a rectangle, and set it to height 100 width 100. Position this above the character pointing at the top of the head (this will simulate a ceiling light)and increase the Luminous by a couple of zeros (you can fiddle with this later. Fiddle with the height as you wish.

Create a copy of this spotlight and position it behind your camera, reduce the luminous to half of the first( this creates a fill light). You can parent this to the camera so it moves with the camera if needed.

This is just a starting point, adjust the settings until you find what works for you.

These are just a few thoughts. Experiment and see what style suits you.

Good luck,

SM

Test image showing the above settings.
test.png

Last edited:

DillyD

Dec 22, 2019
I would first make sure your camera headlight is not on.

Try removing the ghost light. and hiding the ceiling.

Make sure the render settings show 'scene only' (under environment).

Create a spotlight, change its area to a rectangle, and set it to height 100 width 100. Position this above the character pointing at the top of the head (this will simulate a ceiling light)and increase the Luminous by a couple of zeros (you can fiddle with this later. Fiddle with the height as you wish.

Create a copy of this spotlight and position it behind your camera, reduce the luminous to half of the first( this creates a fill light). You can parent this to the camera so it moves with the camera if needed.

This is just a starting point, adjust the settings until you find what works for you.

These are just a few thoughts. Experiment and find what works for you.

Good luck,

SM

Test image showing the above settings.
View attachment 668275
Thanks for the response, I'll try doing it the way you described. I did find a solution that I think looks pretty good using and placing them all around the character where the skin is viewable. There are a few minor issues I have still (such as dark areas on shoulders) but it could probably be solved with more probe lights. I'll do your method too and see what works best denoised_LightingHelp2.png

SecsMurphy

Dec 25, 2018
Thanks for the response, I'll try doing it the way you described. I did find a solution that I think looks pretty good using and placing them all around the character where the skin is viewable. There are a few minor issues I have still (such as dark areas on shoulders) but it could probably be solved with more probe lights. I'll do your method too and see what works best View attachment 668290
I hope you like it but if it is not your style no worries, my general rule of thumb is to consider where the light could be coming from and then try to simulate it. There is no hard and fast solution, how you set up your lighting is very much dependent on the scene.

Good luck with your renders, your off to a good start.

SM

Reactions: DillyD

ArturiousDesign

Engaged Member
Jan 31, 2019
So this is one of my characters I made in Daz recently.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

No post-processing.
Do you think I should add backdrop(background?) or not ? Feedback is appreciated.
Her head seems a little small for her body. Otherwise, very nice

Reactions: Nudios

ArturiousDesign

Engaged Member
Jan 31, 2019
Try using backgrounds(HDRI/Environments). The last couple of your renders had a plain white background.
Otherwise your renders are good. :whistle: HDRI Haven might have interior HDRI's 2k 4k are decent.
That was on purpose. The background was grey to balance out colors and intensity. They teach you that in color theory. White washes out color and blacks darken them. Grey is your neutral. I just can't find a good background that works for me that isn't a fully rendered environment.

5.00 star(s) 12 Votes