3D-Daz Daz3d Art - Show Us Your DazSkill

5.00 star(s) 12 Votes

Empiric

Throbbing Member
Respected User
Game Developer
Jan 13, 2020
I made about 5-10 different pics with different HDRI/Clothing/Tone-mapping but the same pose. All I used was 1 spotlight and a couple of different HDRI's.

View attachment 668671
View attachment 668674

IDK much about color theory but damn HDRI's are good.
You should really use at least two spotlights so you don't get those hard shadows and the difference between parts of her body lit by the hdri and the shadows it makes isn't so big
Also maybe increase luminosity of the spotlight it might be too weak for that hdri.

Last edited:
Reactions: ArturiousDesign

Empiric

Throbbing Member
Respected User
Game Developer
Jan 13, 2020
It was a very soft spotlight and hard to notice shadows. I closed that scene. I don't want to waste HDRI's on the same pic. I will probably create different poses different models with different HDRI's for variety at some point. Maybe at that time I will try lighting seriously.

This was just a simple HDRI test and fooling around. It was fun and I did create 3 decent looking 4k renders.
Ye HDRIs are great.. but especially if the light comes from an angle that the model casts shadows on itself you really need additional light sources.. lighting was my biggest struggle when I was starting out with DAZ but getting it right really does a world of difference. :)

Empiric

Throbbing Member
Respected User
Game Developer
Jan 13, 2020
Alright. I will work on it. I will try what you said next time. I do feel that I have hit my limit. I can't think of anything that can help me improve more except post work which I am feeling very lazy about. I also have a TN panel monitor which makes it hard to tell how much light is there and how much I needed. Thanks for your advice.

Could you take a quick look at my DeviantArt and tell me where I could improve generally.
I'd start with the lighting..

This helped me a lot from beginning to get the general idea.
I'd say post-work is very important. It just makes a ton of difference and it's not all that complicated. Best is I'd say adobe lightroom and you even have some basic presets there already ready so you just import the pictures and see what result you like the most and then when you are one day not feeling lazy you can play with the settings yourself and make your own presets for each scene.

Without postwork:
36t.png
with postwork:
36t.png

Also here's your picture with very simple post-work that takes like 2-3 minutes time . And I don't know if you saved it from daz as jpg or converted after but you should use PNG or TIFF they are way better .

682820_test_1.png

Last edited:

lordshimra

Mar 30, 2017
I'd start with the lighting..

This helped me a lot from beginning to get the general idea.
I'd say post-work is very important. It just makes a ton of difference and it's not all that complicated. Best is I'd say adobe lightroom and you even have some basic presets there already ready so you just import the pictures and see what result you like the most and then when you are one day not feeling lazy you can play with the settings yourself and make your own presets for each scene.

Without postwork:
View attachment 668727
with postwork:
View attachment 668731

Also here's your picture with very simple post-work that takes like 2-3 minutes time . And I don't know if you saved it from daz as jpg or converted after but you should use PNG or TIFF they are way better .

View attachment 668747
what is that bottom outfit?

HFSTime

Jul 13, 2019
That was on purpose. The background was grey to balance out colors and intensity. They teach you that in color theory. White washes out color and blacks darken them. Grey is your neutral. I just can't find a good background that works for me that isn't a fully rendered environment.
If you want simple backgrounds to mess around with you might want to look at environment assets that mirror more of what you see in photo studios. They will have full environments but the nice thing is you can pull out just the items you need. So this gives you a lot more flexibility. Here's a few I've used to give you some ideas:

1: (Images #1 & #2) - I use the backdrop from this a lot. Literally just that item. Great for when I'm doing smaller scene setups.

2: If you might need larger setups then cycloramas could help. The one in image #3 came from and #4 was from .

3: If you want something with a bit more 'pizazz' then could be a fun one to play with (image #5). Some of the example images they have there are a bit "extra". But you can just work with the backdrop and and materials. What's really fun with this one is that you can mess with the horizontal/vertical tiling and offsets of the backdrop surfaces to get different looks.

4: Make your own backdrop! I made a 'studio' with just five really large plane primitives and made them gloss black so I had something I could use when I had an idea where I really wanted to mess with light reflectivity (images #6 and #7).

The nice thing about all these items: you don't have to use the default materials! For image #2 I knew I had a color in mind but wanted more texture to the backdrop. So i started messing around with some fabric shaders I had. And this random knit fabric shader gave me that result.

Hopefully this might give you some ideas. The fact that you mentioned color theory spurred me to offer this info up since I do utilize it quite a bit with my work. And simple scene setups seem to help me with that.

Getting Comfy 4.jpg Ribbons and Lace-3.jpg Rayne Gobo-3.jpg SL2 4-1-1.jpg Dazzle You-1.jpg Shiny Rayne-3.jpg This 3.jpg

Last edited:

Oukia

Apr 30, 2020
First of all.. great job!! Keep it up!

Now for the comments that might help.. i hope anyways! :)

1. I think that the lighting is a bit too much. The chair for example is overexposed!!! Either decrease the luminosity, or underexpose your image (change the f-stop or the shutter speed of your camera in render settings) to balance that.

2. The lighting is good, but a bit too uniform for my tastes. There are no shadows, no depth and.. well.. too much as i said in No1. Look at your house during a sunny day. You will still find spots that are a bit shadowey, some will be overrun by light, some other might be (let's say) normalish.. There is no contrast in the scene if you get my point. Try to create some of these spots. And by using an hdri for an indoor scene, i suggest you do this:
- First build the scene without an hdri. Light it as an indoor scene and on the render settings use: scene only.
- Then, when you are happy with the lighting, you can create your own hdri of the indoor lighting scene. To do that, you can watch this one:
- I would do multiple renders on the scene. And let me translate this a bit. I would go with some of the scenes components (e.g. i would delete -well not delete but hide- the walls or some other parts of the interior) and light the whole thing with only the hdri. Render. Then i would hide the hdri and render the scene with all the components. Then later, i would use photoshop to bind all of them together and create the result of my liking.

3. As far as the realistic skin, too much light destroys details. I don't know if your are using any HD model on this scene (i would recommend it if you don't know the exact details on how to play with bumps and SSS -as i do-), but if you are you wouldn't have seen this on this bright image. Again.. No1. There are a lot of tutorials oute there for realistic skin management in Daz, but i haven't even gone there. It's too much for a new user I think. If you can get the lighting as good as it gets, using HD models will increase the realism of your images. Then, you can try and mess with all the settings.

4. When you say collisions? What kind? Give us an example or even better a render witout post work.

5. At the third image, where she is laying on the couch, the model relatively with the couch is posed a bit weird. Like she is floating. When things get a bit unnatural, even the smallest of details, our eyes have the tendency to pick it up immediately! It's just.. something is wrong there, even if you don't get it at first. Try to fix this. Don't be afraid to over-do a pose (e.g. try to sink her ass and her foot in the couch or the sheet). Otherwise it might be off world a lot more!

My first render was totally shitty due to lack of understanding of lighting. I watched like 500 tutorials on lighting, not only for daz but in general. I'm still a worthless piece of sh*t (hahahah) but my renders are more lifelike now. Most people you see here that publish their first render have on common mistake, lighting. And this is natural and I am not saying that they suck or whatever. I did the same thing (still do sometimes). As i've said before.. use your eyes and your surroundings to see what is really happening in the world out there. Combine it with some tutorials and your renders will be 1000% better instantly.
Thank you very much for all these precious answers :) Currently I see the problem with the chair, i didn't noticed this lol. I need to see more tuto about lighting interior. I saw probe light (ghost light?) in this thead and i think it could be useful.
For this scene, I don't have ceiling ^^ and I use massive hdri light to have a bright picture and character. My previous render was realized with other techniques (lighting plane, distant light...) but I didn't see all forms and expressions of my character. But it's more contrasted. I will try some other things to be near to photorealism. Currently I'm far ^^
Thank you for the link ;)

For the skin, I used HD model. Your are right for the light and details. With denoiser, the results is a even more polish lol

For the collisions, I remove the smooth modifier on the subject and it's better. I don't know why i add this.

You have good eyes ^^ Currently, it's ok with a better poses for her feet and ass. Small details make difference, that's quite right!

5.00 star(s) 12 Votes