3D-Daz Daz3d Art - Show Us Your DazSkill

5.00 star(s) 12 Votes

zjalaran

Dec 31, 2017
How did you do the 4-arms. I've been dying to find something to do this FOREVER!!!
Did just what Tristan Q Everett said above "Duplicate model. Hide everything except the arms and pretend she has 4 arms. I once did it. you can try decreasing the height of duplicate. Experiment."

Experiment is the main thing - LOTS of experimentation! I saved the second figure as only the chest and arms, then parented to the main figure's chest - not perfect but it works okay for what I had in mind.

Wanted the 4-arms to create the pic in post #26,309.

ivanch88

Game Developer
Sep 29, 2018
I am trying to render a cover picture. Its a test render since I am changing the story a bit but still I want to render it. There are 8 models in the scene. how do I go about rendering it? I know I could render them one by one and combine but there are lots of lights and shadows which will mess up the combined render. So what do I do? How do I optimize the models? the camera is far so I don't care if some detail is lost.
You can try this script
Reduce texture resolution and models subdivision level. Also you can use the same skin textures for all characters and play with transfluency and sss to make them look different.

fenelia

Mar 25, 2020
I mean, you can force the render through that way. SimTenero's Scene Optimizer can kill some of the texture sizes (useful for distant objects), the Daz Decimator can kill some polygons.

Another way is to render billboards. Just create flat panels of the characters, stick them in the scene with the complex multipoint lighting system you have. You need to be able to use PS/GIMP to create opacity maps (Black background, white your figure).

The other idea is just to simplify the scene, and do more lighting and effects afterwards. It shouldn't take that long to render individual figures, then combine them, and git gud at Photoshop or GIMP?

GNVE

Jul 20, 2018
I am trying to render a cover picture. Its a test render since I am changing the story a bit but still I want to render it. There are 8 models in the scene. how do I go about rendering it? I know I could render them one by one and combine but there are lots of lights and shadows which will mess up the combined render. So what do I do? How do I optimize the models? the camera is far so I don't care if some detail is lost.
You could render the scene in parts and composit them in post.

Jul 14, 2018
Opinions, please! I love darkness so I like this lighting and it looks better than the second one which has a blank background.
I am assuming both were quick renders cancelled in process.

First one's the stronger image, though I'd up the strength of the lighting a bit, increase the contrast, something to keep them from getting lost in it. The dark parts aren't a problem, the spot that should be lit isn't lit enough. I'd also play around more with the guy in the chair's posture, lean him to the left or right a bit, something to make him look less like a mannequin (or corpse) shoved in a chair.

Second one's a main menu of a game screen, though there's some clipping problems that need to be addressed - specifically the nipples on the far right woman.

Third could use a clearer central focus - maybe move one of the two women in the middle to the other side of the chair? Might look better, might not. In #2 you pretty much had five faces arranged where one was in the middle of the box the other four made. #3 lacks that with the two extra faces in there, making the person look around without something else pulling focus.

Last edited:

fenelia

Mar 25, 2020
I pretty much wasted the whole day on this.
Intel denoised, like a couple minutes fucking around in GIMP while I've got other stuff going on...

This is why you need to git gud at GIMP.

(Hiding in spoilers because it's not my original image, but I did manipulate the image to clean it up and make it look dark.)

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

fenelia

Mar 25, 2020
Thanks! I must git gud at gimp.

SHOW me da way.
I used 5 layers for that.

3 progressive "Hard Light" maps (2 of them are varying blends of black and white, and one is just white on top of the alpha channel).

2 copies of the original image (run through the Intel denoiser, which is a FOSS artificial intelligence for cleaning up grains). 1 copy was 100% desaturated (turned grey) and turned to a lower opacity, with the faces "cut out" so that those preserved 100% color...BUT it looks like the rest of the image is faded around them. You can still see color, just at a lower density. I kept the faces at 100% color because that's where the viewer's eye is supposed to go.

The Hard Light maps create the illusion of light and darkness where there is none. I use the black and white (think of it like a bump map, but for light) to tell GIMP where to "light" the underlying images.

See, I don't NEED Daz to make shadow. I can do it in post. That's what Photoshop or GIMP will do with some practice.

fenelia

Mar 25, 2020
I understand. you are very helpful. but I live a very shitty life which kind of drives all motivation out of my time and time again and then there is memory issue and I keep forgetting things(Not medical but just stress). But still, I will try to learn gimp, and let's see how far I can get. I had no idea about the intel denoiser. That's a very useful tool. Thanks for taking the time to both show small post-work on render and explaining the work behind it. I am grateful. Its morning where I live so I will work on GIMP tomorrow. I have been underestimating GIMP. Who needs photoshop. I just need some skills.
To me, a lot of people try to brute force the rendering engine into doing things they don't need it to do. It's a waste of resources.

(IMO, the render is only a first step towards art. I'm offended by people who think post-render work is bad for the hobby. IMO, post-work elevates the hobby and makes it better.)

I try to tell people to use free tools like GIMP because it's really powerful once you get it down.
If you're good at GIMP or Photoshop, you'll do better work than someone who only publishes straight renders.

Start with simple tasks. Learn how to give your image a "soft focus" look, like Penthouse magazine. That'll familiarize you with some of the GIMP/PS Filters and what the Light modes can do. (Any Photoshop tutorial online? It pretty much applies 100% to GIMP.)

Another idea is to try to make your image look like a painting. That also forces you to learn a few filters and how the layers work. Plenty of free online tutorials, and it gives you the basis to try things in GIMP.

Just look up Photoshop tutorials online, and try them in GIMP with your own images. You might amaze yourself.

Reactions: koleoptero

Feb 3, 2020
Many Daz users are technology hobbyists as much as artists. Playing with the capabilities and boundaries of Daz is most of the fun for them/me. (I am not saying this because I wish I could use Gimp or PS like a pro, really...)

5.00 star(s) 12 Votes