3D-Daz Daz3d Art - Show Us Your DazSkill

5.00 star(s) 12 Votes

oliseo

May 11, 2020
All photographers do postwork. Artists are essentially constantly postworking what they're doing - they draw something, erase, redraw, then ink. Authors edit. Filmmakers edit.

Why would this be any different?
Post work is after the work is finished. Artists can't be doing that, it defies logic. I'm usually a forgiving guy, but I have to correct you on that.

An artist painting isn't doing post production. That's the production part. You can't do post production on something before you've actually produced it first... :/

Jul 14, 2018
Post work is after the work is finished. Artists can't be doing that, it defies logic. I'm usually a forgiving guy, but I have to correct you on that.

An artist painting isn't doing post production. That's the production part. You can't do post production on something before you've actually produced it first... :/
That’s my argument. Rendering is just step 1 of a several step process.

But I may be being overly inclusive there.

Last edited:

Evil13

Engaged Member
Jun 4, 2019

I know quite a few artists and I can tell you, there is always post production. An artist might finish a piece, but find that there are adjustments to be made. A painter might have to touch up an area of earlier work, a sculptor might have to smooth out something. That's all post production is, adjustments after the fact.

Reactions: TheAmazingRolandder

fried

Almost
Donor
Nov 11, 2017
I know quite a few artists and I can tell you, there is always post production. An artist might finish a piece, but find that there are adjustments to be made. A painter might have to touch up an area of earlier work, a sculptor might have to smooth out something. That's all post production is, adjustments after the fact.
I think it's even beyond that, in how the term is employed: post-production takes raw inputs (i.e., production) and combines, enhances, etc., for the finished result. The original production is considered creation or preparation of the inputs into post-production, typically.

My workflow changes for a scene based on what I think it needs to eventually come together, e.g., I might render in passes to composite them for better enhancement of lighting, popping certain elements, adding layered effects for particular moods or actions, etc.. The render passes were part of the production in that workflow, whereas the compositing and everything else is what people refer to as post-production - they are all needed to create the final piece.

NemesiaProductions

Dev of the Family Business
Game Developer
Apr 19, 2019
Just two promo images passing trough. Will feature in the game I am working on. Hopefully releasing before August. Please drop some criticism down below. Images have zero post except resizing to 1080P from 4K. Pointing that out to clarify this will be the in-game quality you will see.
Alex Promo 1.jpg Alice Promo 1.jpg

fried

Almost
Donor
Nov 11, 2017
Just two promo images passing trough. Will feature in the game I am working on. Hopefully releasing before August. Please drop some criticism down below. Images have zero post except resizing to 1080P from 4K. Pointing that out to clarify this will be the in-game quality you will see.
View attachment 701643 View attachment 701642
Image quality generally looks good, IMHO - I always like shadow and not shying away from it (exceptions exist - e.g., MrDots' style). That said, the first picture looks like sun from the left and behind in an outdoor scene, but the character appears more neutral top-to-bottom due to (maybe) significant fill lighting - up to you on whether that's the style you're looking for, but it took me out of the outdoors feel a bit.

The second shot shows some obvious overexposure on her top and her legs seem in very dark shadows by comparison - for that indoor view, fill lighting might help to offer a better balance.

In all cases, maybe consider the weight being imparted by an arm or leg - the first picture's character appears to be keeping his armpits dry more than resting arms on his thighs, his foot appears to hover over the ground and the second piece's waitress is holding a not-light tray with fingertips.

I mean, good stuff ... but you asked for constructive critique :)

Reactions: NemesiaProductions
5.00 star(s) 12 Votes