3D-Daz Daz3d Art - Show Us Your DazSkill

5.00 star(s) 12 Votes

NemesiaProductions

Dev of the Family Business
Game Developer
Apr 19, 2019
Image quality generally looks good, IMHO - I always like shadow and not shying away from it (exceptions exist - e.g., MrDots' style). That said, the first picture looks like sun from the left and behind in an outdoor scene, but the character appears more neutral top-to-bottom due to (maybe) significant fill lighting - up to you on whether that's the style you're looking for, but it took me out of the outdoors feel a bit.

The second shot shows some obvious overexposure on her top and her legs seem in very dark shadows by comparison - for that indoor view, fill lighting might help to offer a better balance.

In all cases, maybe consider the weight being imparted by an arm or leg - the first picture's character appears to be keeping his armpits dry more than resting arms on his thighs, his foot appears to hover over the ground and the second piece's waitress is holding a not-light tray with fingertips.

I mean, good stuff ... but you asked for constructive critique :)
Exactly the stuff I was looking for mate. Thank you so much. I'll take those into serious consideration for the next images. All of the images are using sun&sky dial only by the way. No fill light etc. Will definitely work on that.

Reactions: fried

fried

Almost
Donor
Nov 11, 2017
Exactly the stuff I was looking for mate. Thank you so much. I'll take those into serious consideration for the next images. All of the images are using sun&sky dial only by the way. No fill light etc. Will definitely work on that.

Taking another look from your mention of just sun&sky, I noticed that the fence is lost in the exposure. Maybe what I'm seeing is a bit of overexposure for the scene that compensated for his being in shadow of the sun? That could explain why this perspective seems a bit muted from the effect of shadows. Compared to the other shot, this exposure makes it feel a wee bit overcast outside.

May 12, 2020
He pretty much nailed everything I was going to say.

I've been a pro photographer for a long time. Something that served me well over the years is to not think of controlling the light but more controlling the shadows.

the first image is flat lighting and doesn't have life to it but the second, other than what he pointed out, has a lot more life to it because of the light coming in through the windows creating shadows, depth and contrast. All depends how in depth you want to get with everything. A little more depth of field, not to much more, for the second image would add to it too. The second has some great leading lines to which help draw the viewer into the image. Maybe take her a little more off center using the rule of thirds a little more, just remember the action always points to the center. ie... she is walking so the direction of her action leads to the center of the image.
Just my two cents :)
The are quality images though, again depends on what you're going for and what time you want to put into it. as a game player i wouldn't have an issue with them as is.

NemesiaProductions

Game Developer
Apr 19, 2019
He pretty much nailed everything I was going to say.

I've been a pro photographer for a long time. Something that served me well over the years is to not think of controlling the light but more controlling the shadows.

the first image is flat lighting and doesn't have life to it but the second, other than what he pointed out, has a lot more life to it because of the light coming in through the windows creating shadows, depth and contrast. All depends how in depth you want to get with everything. A little more depth of field, not to much more, for the second image would add to it too. The second has some great leading lines to which help draw the viewer into the image. Maybe take her a little more off center using the rule of thirds a little more, just remember the action always points to the center. ie... she is walking so the direction of her action leads to the center of the image.
Just my two cents :)
The are quality images though, again depends on what you're going for and what time you want to put into it. as a game player i wouldn't have an issue with them as is.
It means so much coming from a professional photographer believe me. Thank you so much for your comment mate. I'm working as a freelance 3D&2D designer and I've never had any experience with photography before. My work mostly leaves Maya with basic front/side/top shots with zero consideration to its artistic aspects so I'm kinda eyeballing it as it goes when it comes to Daz but I'll look into the rule of thirds. Sounds like something I'll benefit greatly from. I'm glad you perceive them as quality images mate. That surely boosted my morale tremendously.

May 12, 2020
It means so much coming from a professional photographer believe me. Thank you so much for your comment mate. I'm working as a freelance 3D&2D designer and I've never had any experience with photography before. My work mostly leaves Maya with basic front/side/top shots with zero consideration to its artistic aspects so I'm kinda eyeballing it as it goes when it comes to Daz but I'll look into the rule of thirds. Sounds like something I'll benefit greatly from. I'm glad you perceive them as quality images mate. That surely boosted my morale tremendously.
cool, glad to hear.

not sure what I can post here but google any of the following and you'll find what you need. These will help you compose an interesting and compelling image.

Rule of thirds
Fill Flash or fill light, when you create shadows you may also need to add a little fill light to lighten them in a certain area.
Golden Ratio used by artist through out the centuries.
Leading lines
S curves

NemesiaProductions

Game Developer
Apr 19, 2019
cool, glad to hear.

not sure what I can post here but google any of the following and you'll find what you need. These will help you compose an interesting and compelling image.

Rule of thirds
Fill Flash or fill light, when you create shadows you may also need to add a little fill light to lighten them in a certain area.
Golden Ratio used by artist through out the centuries.
Leading lines
S curves
Thanks mate. I'll go into some serious training thanks to you. I guess criticism can't go more constructive than that :D Cheers.

ENF Master

Jul 16, 2017
Ellie captured by WLF.
Still playing the Last of Us Part 2, still being inspired. 4k is available on my Patreon.

Ellie Test render.jpg

Reactions: Mescalino
5.00 star(s) 12 Votes