3D-Daz Daz3d Art - Show Us Your DazSkill

5.00 star(s) 12 Votes

atheran

Feb 3, 2020
One thing you could do which should save a bit of time, proportionally to how long your renders are, is to turn off the convergence percentage calculation. I'm not sure how often it happens but it could be for every single sample that DAZ runs the algorithm to calculate the convergence percentage. If you want to try this you can set your Progressive Rendering settings to the following:

And, if you're not planning to use a denoiser, set Max Samples to some very large number and then just stop whenever you think it looks good.

Another thing which should improve render time on second-generation Maxwell GPUs is to turn on Optimise for Compute Performance in NVIDIA Control Panel for DAZ:

The recent renders I posted used 800 samples and were denoised afterwards. The total rendering time for my most recent one was 5 minutes 42.58 seconds on a GTX 970.
Wait, that last one was 800 samples on a 970 in about 6 minutes? I'll try those tomorrow. Right now I'm at 4h 30mins at about 5k samples. I don't have that option checked on my nvidia panel. I don't need 10 minutes renders. If I drop it to 30-60 minutes each I'd be really happy. Then again I'm pretty sure that volumetrics add a lot of time and computation to it. But I'll post tomorrow about how it worked out with your settings.

And here's the render at 5.2k samples. No denoiser.

Let's call it..Inspection day?
Siobhan_inspection_day.png

Don't ask me why the head is so big, I didn't change the model from the previous renders. Probably the camera angle or something.
Also..That dude inspecting her..As base of 8.1 as it can be. Which is why he looks like he came out of Life is Strange or something. I need to get the HD pack for 8.1 males.

Last edited:

Techn0magier

Jul 2, 2017
Guys I could really use some feedback on this render in general please.
MC having a casual conversation with friend at school.

View attachment 1311985
- The light is too flat. In general, the lighting is off and could need a rework. Consider where your light sources are and what kind of shadows they should create on her face and body.

Those below are nitpicked don't consider them when you are an actual beginner. ;)

- The surfaces, in general, are too clean, too perfect. The same goes for her model, maybe play a little bit with asymmetry morphs or deformer.
- Her arm doesn't convey pressure but clipping through the locker. The same goes for the finger on her right hand.
- The lens does look a little bit like a Tele Lens, not a Normal Lens like human eyes. So she appears a little bit deformed.
- Not enough clutter to be a believable hallway (ignore this if you have a potato for a computer ;) )
- Colour, colour and colour. Nothing really pops and it seems to me that the white balance outdoors doesn't match the white balance of your interior.

Last edited:

atheran

Feb 3, 2020
Guys I could really use some feedback on this render in general please.
MC having a casual conversation with friend at school.
On the model specifically or the render in general? Also..some background on what's happening here? Is it school hours? After school? If for example it's supposed to be them breaking in to steal stuff and are arguing on how to cover their tracks..that's a really bad render. :)

Obviously it's not my example but if you want feedback on the scene, we'd need more information.

As it is, I assume it's school hours during a break or something. In that case, I'd add a few passing students (being alone in an empty hallway during a break between classes is weird). That's for the scene in general.

As for models, you really need to find better models for the lockers. Textures as well, but mostly models, or at the very least edit the one you have and add some bevels here.
locker.png

As for the girl, she looks creepy to me but I can't place it. Probably the eyes? I don't really know.

The general layout looks nice, but if I were you, this window shot is the perfect usecase for volumetric lights. Will look better and will fix the relative flat lighting, but will also take longer to render. So it's up to you really if you want to go that route.

Plus everything that Techn0magier said. Some are easy to fix to get a good render, others are harder. He posted while I was writing so..no point writing them all over again. So I leave just the extra stuff I wrote.

5.00 star(s) 12 Votes