5.00 star(s) 12 Votes

LP83

Engaged Member
Oct 13, 2016

9thCrux

--Waifu maker--
Game Developer
Oct 22, 2017
Been mucking about with an emission light above the character in the scene to try and get some more light on them without getting extra light in the scene itself.
View attachment 174599
I have been working on something similar myself and is tricky to get the right effect, something you would want to watch is the overexposure; if you check the bed in the scene you can notice how the edges are more detailed than the center, right in front of your character.

The overexposure at the center makes all the details disappear and all you can see is like a glare that contrasts with the darker edges on the image, you can tell there is a strong beam of light pointing downwards right on top of the bed.

Reactions: mickydoo

goutch

Donor
May 19, 2017
Been mucking about with an emission light above the character in the scene to try and get some more light on them without getting extra light in the scene itself.
View attachment 174599
Not much to say about the light,

B

mickydoo

Fudged it again.
Game Developer
Jan 5, 2018
I have been working on something similar myself and is tricky to get the right effect, something you would want to watch is the over exposure; if you check the bed in the scene you can notice how the edges are more detailed than the center, right in front of your character.

The overexposure at the center makes all the details disappear and all you can see is like a glare that contrasts with the darker edges on the image, you can tell there is a strong beam of light pointing downwards right on top of the bed.
Yea its a fine line as there would be a light in the ceiling in reality.
@goutch Its from the same scene, its just fubar texturing

Evic

May 25, 2018
Even if it isn't perfectly realistic it looks much better than simply increasing the brightness of the entire scene. Also, if it's for a VN it's likely that nobody is going to stare at it as long as you will. If you're using the ghost lighting technique with an emissive surface at 0.01% opacity you can put that surface very close to the model without messing up the render in many cases, in your scene you'll need to make sure it's not visible in the mirror but otherwise you should be able to get away with that trick. That way the light doesn't need to be as bright to still brighten up the character.

Another trick is to hide everything except the model, put in a couple of photometric spotlights to light her up and render that from the same camera and then combine (screen or overlay) that image onto the original full scene rendering. That way give you the most control but can look fake if you overdo it.

Anyway, compare your scene to what you see in many VNs and you'll see that you've already done a much better job of lighting. I'd call your experiment a success and move on to the next scene :)

mickydoo

Fudged it again.
Game Developer
Jan 5, 2018
@Evic that overlay trick worked a treat. This is another scene of mine, ignore the slightly dodgy photoshop work for now (I'm Australian and we are on the 3rd day into a fucking heatwave) but this is the before and after.
before.jpg

And this is with your trick, Ive got a lot of room to play with it as all I did was darken the layer after I set it screen
after.jpg

Evic

May 25, 2018
@Evic that overlay trick worked a treat. This is another scene of mine, ignore the slightly dodgy photoshop work for now (I'm Australian and we are on the 3rd day into a fucking heatwave) but this is the before and after.
I wish I could claim that idea as my own but it isn't, I'm sure there are quite a few people here who use it and it was suggested to me back when I was messing with night scenes (it can work really well on those). The cool part is that you can setup good "studio" lighting on the characters to get sharp highlights when it's otherwise difficult to do that in a scene, just make sure you have the lights coming form the right direction for the final render.

5.00 star(s) 12 Votes