3D-Daz Daz3d Art - Show Us Your DazSkill

5.00 star(s) 12 Votes

Zavijava_

Oct 19, 2020
anyone here got scene optimizer? i may have to try it. i watched a video about noise in renders and someone has done a video showing the denoiser and how many iterations it took to get the image, tbh it looks really good but im not sure if it works for everyone. im trying a couple now with denoiser to see.
Scene Optimizer: https://f95zone.to/threads/scene-optimizer-mar-2019.9973/ - download link here, but it's well worth the money if you can afford to drop money on DAZ stuff.

Keep in mind, the denoiser can help get rid of noise, but it kills detail (especially stuff like small details on skin). I've found good results with Intel's Open Image Denoiser, since it's not as overzealous as Nvidia's one that's built into DAZ. But I don't remember where I found the download link for an executable/installer. Sorry :(

As far as scene lights are concerned... there are three main ways to put light into a scene:
  • Lights (point lights, spotlights, etc) placed into a scene. These are pretty simple, but I've personally found them to increase noise by a surprising amount.
  • Emissive materials (AKA mesh lights). This simply means any surface on a model in your scene which emits light ("emission color" and related properties in the "Surfaces" tab). Most environments you download will be lit with this technique. To change this kind of lighting, you'll have to find the models in the scene that have emissive surfaces, and edit their color or intensity or whatever, in the "Surfaces" tab. I've started using mesh lights instead of spotlights/pointlights to add extra light in my scenes, and I've found them to be less noisy, but of course your results will vary based on the geometry/materials in the scene.
  • Lighting from the HDRI/background of the scene. This is the least noisy/fastest kind of lighting, but of course it's not always an option if you want an interior scene. I've found good HDRIs from the Asset Releases forum here as well as .
  • Also worth mentioning is a type of mesh light called a "ghost light", which is just a surface that emits light but which also has its opacity cranked down to near zero so you can't see it. These are good if you want a light source positioned so it's in the frame, but don't want it to actually be visible in the render. Note that the latest versions of DAZ changed how these work, and I'm not sure about the details.
There are really no limits I'm aware of on how many lights can be in the scene (Iray rendering is very different than the way game engines work, in which you do need to limit the number of lights. Usually.) Indeed, if you're using mesh lights, how do you even say "how many" lights you're using? You might have 3 meshes, each with 2 or 3 emissive surfaces, which are spread over 100 or 100,000 polygons. So, " " is the wrong way to think about optimization in DAZ.

Rather, what makes your scene render quickly is the physical amount of light surface that exists in the scene. A scene that's lit by several large emissive meshes will render much faster than the same scene lit by a tiny, super-bright light bulb filament. Of course, there's a tradeoff here: large light sources will make the scene lighting look "flatter" and less intense.

There are also more complicated things about scene geometry/materials/shaders that make the scene slower or faster to render, and I haven't begun to understand all of it. The best thing to do might just be to try out different environments until you find one you like the look of, which also renders quickly enough for you.

That's the frustrating thing about rendering - everything is a tradeoff, and there's no magic solution to give you an amazing image quickly (except maybe buying 8 RTX 3090s lol)

Good luck!

D9074

Feb 21, 2021
You're probably overtaxing your graphics card and it's falling back on the CPU. You can change that in your render settings. But the root problem is with your scene. You've got to look at how big and complex your scene is and take out unnecessary things. When I first started with Daz I didn't realize that objects which are not in the render screen but still present in the screen will go towards your VRAM limit. If you hide everything that's in the scene but not in the viewport you'll alleviate a lot of the burden on your GPU. If that still doesn't work, you'll need to find a way to optimize the scene for rendering. There are a number of ways to do that, depending on your scene, but one tool that can help is Scene Optimizer:

Otherwise, if you use Google to search something like, "reduce VRAM in Daz" you should find a lot of helpful threads.

Be sure to check your log under troubleshooting. That will confirm whether you're falling back on your CPU.

you are a legend. i was at 50% done on my render in 20 mins when using this, watched a video and just followed what someone else did so i will see how it went but wow its crazy how much time its saved. before i was going a hour nearly with it at 0%.

Reactions: Impious Monk

D9074

Feb 21, 2021
Scene Optimizer: https://f95zone.to/threads/scene-optimizer-mar-2019.9973/ - download link here, but it's well worth the money if you can afford to drop money on DAZ stuff.

Keep in mind, the denoiser can help get rid of noise, but it kills detail (especially stuff like small details on skin). I've found good results with Intel's Open Image Denoiser, since it's not as overzealous as Nvidia's one that's built into DAZ. But I don't remember where I found the download link for an executable/installer. Sorry :(

As far as scene lights are concerned... there are three main ways to put light into a scene:
  • Lights (point lights, spotlights, etc) placed into a scene. These are pretty simple, but I've personally found them to increase noise by a surprising amount.
  • Emissive materials (AKA mesh lights). This simply means any surface on a model in your scene which emits light ("emission color" and related properties in the "Surfaces" tab). Most environments you download will be lit with this technique. To change this kind of lighting, you'll have to find the models in the scene that have emissive surfaces, and edit their color or intensity or whatever, in the "Surfaces" tab. I've started using mesh lights instead of spotlights/pointlights to add extra light in my scenes, and I've found them to be less noisy, but of course your results will vary based on the geometry/materials in the scene.
  • Lighting from the HDRI/background of the scene. This is the least noisy/fastest kind of lighting, but of course it's not always an option if you want an interior scene. I've found good HDRIs from the Asset Releases forum here as well as .
  • Also worth mentioning is a type of mesh light called a "ghost light", which is just a surface that emits light but which also has its opacity cranked down to near zero so you can't see it. These are good if you want a light source positioned so it's in the frame, but don't want it to actually be visible in the render. Note that the latest versions of DAZ changed how these work, and I'm not sure about the details.
There are really no limits I'm aware of on how many lights can be in the scene (Iray rendering is very different than the way game engines work, in which you do need to limit the number of lights. Usually.) Indeed, if you're using mesh lights, how do you even say "how many" lights you're using? You might have 3 meshes, each with 2 or 3 emissive surfaces, which are spread over 100 or 100,000 polygons. So, " " is the wrong way to think about optimization in DAZ.

Rather, what makes your scene render quickly is the physical amount of light surface that exists in the scene. A scene that's lit by several large emissive meshes will render much faster than the same scene lit by a tiny, super-bright light bulb filament. Of course, there's a tradeoff here: large light sources will make the scene lighting look "flatter" and less intense.

There are also more complicated things about scene geometry/materials/shaders that make the scene slower or faster to render, and I haven't begun to understand all of it. The best thing to do might just be to try out different environments until you find one you like the look of, which also renders quickly enough for you.

That's the frustrating thing about rendering - everything is a tradeoff, and there's no magic solution to give you an amazing image quickly (except maybe buying 8 RTX 3090s lol)

Good luck!

thank you for the link and also such a detailed response. I have turned denoiser off as i noticed even though it completed my render and was only on 100 in the setting that it did lack a bit of details the other one had. i will try again maybe in future but this link you gave me has really helped with the speed.

i just downloaded the ghost lights before too and i didnt really notice a difference with the lighting too much, idk if im not using it right but it just felt like it was doing nothing. what i did for the lighting in my one was delete 2 walls. i tried to change enviroment bit but it confuses me and i cant find where they are saved when changing enviroment map or whatever it is. i ended up finding the ruins one and used that. its gave me a nice low light coming through with the walls off so will see what it looks like when rendered.

i watch so many videos on all of this but i just wish sometimes they would show their light settings on the ghost lights and stuff.. once i find the right lights ill be sorted but it i have been stuggling for a few days with it.

ive only been using this for a few days and im trying to learn it all at once so it gets overwhelming haha

also where do i put them hdris? the one i downloaded gives a exr file im not sure where i put that in the daz library

Impious Monk

Game Developer
Oct 14, 2021
thank you for the link and also such a detailed response. I have turned denoiser off as i noticed even though it completed my render and was only on 100 in the setting that it did lack a bit of details the other one had. i will try again maybe in future but this link you gave me has really helped with the speed.

i just downloaded the ghost lights before too and i didnt really notice a difference with the lighting too much, idk if im not using it right but it just felt like it was doing nothing. what i did for the lighting in my one was delete 2 walls. i tried to change enviroment bit but it confuses me and i cant find where they are saved when changing enviroment map or whatever it is. i ended up finding the ruins one and used that. its gave me a nice low light coming through with the walls off so will see what it looks like when rendered.

i watch so many videos on all of this but i just wish sometimes they would show their light settings on the ghost lights and stuff.. once i find the right lights ill be sorted but it i have been stuggling for a few days with it.

ive only been using this for a few days and im trying to learn it all at once so it gets overwhelming haha

also where do i put them hdris? the one i downloaded gives a exr file im not sure where i put that in the daz library
Changes made to the latest version of Daz require you to use different settings for ghost/mesh lights than in the past. Watch this video posted last month:

As for the HDRI's, when you download an HDRI you should be given an option to download either the .exr or .hdr version. You need to download the .hdr version for Daz; the .exr will not work.

D9074

Feb 21, 2021
Changes made to the latest version of Daz require you to use different settings for ghost/mesh lights than in the past. Watch this video posted last month:

As for the HDRI's, when you download an HDRI you should be given an option to download either the .exr or .hdr version. You need to download the .hdr version for Daz; the .exr will not work.
Oh wait i just got the exr versions and put them in a custom folder in daz and they worked great, its only on the outside though lighting up the set.. ill download the other ones soon.

thanks for the help even though the hdis wasnt meant to work good they actually made a big difference just now when using it, rendering a close up one with a sunset as the light coming in

Reactions: Impious Monk

DitaVonTease

Jul 25, 2021
Oh wait i just got the exr versions and put them in a custom folder in daz and they worked great, its only on the outside though lighting up the set.. ill download the other ones soon.

thanks for the help even though the hdis wasnt meant to work good they actually made a big difference just now when using it, rendering a close up one with a sunset as the light coming in

Part of your problem with Camera's & depth of field, is what aperture & film speed you use, as that's what affects the lights. You might do better with Camera Doctor Bundle:

& possibly Render Doctor, as well, the camera doctor has depth of field, cutaway (removes/hides everything not in viewport, with an option to keep the lights working). Among the parts that come with it. Plus good instructions on how to use them. Also have a look for PTF Legendary Lights, has some nice extras, to improve indoor lighting.

m4dsk1llz

Engaged Member
Feb 13, 2019
D9074

If you are brand new to DAZ, my suggestion is to not learn Ghost Lights. Nvidia 'fixed' ghost lights and they do not work the way they used to and trying to make them work will result in 'fireflies' (white spectacles that you can't easily correct). Moving forward if anyone moves to any version of DAZ 4.20 or above, they will have to relearn how to use lighting if they relied on Ghost Lights for much of their illumination.

Reactions: D9074
5.00 star(s) 12 Votes