3D-Daz Daz3d Art - Show Us Your DazSkill

5.00 star(s) 12 Votes

Night Hacker

Forum Fanatic
Jul 3, 2021
I'll try to look into some HD skins. The last time I raised the subd level, my PC lagged pretty badly, so I tried to keep it lower. The skin detail might have also suffered due to the lighting. Thanks for the advice!
Yeah, you do have to be careful with what your PC can handle. What I used to do when I had an older video card (a 1050TI with only 4G VRAM at the time, I now have a 3060 with 12G which is MUCH better, more video card memory is VITAL) is I would hide EVERYTHING that was not visible, and I mean EVERYTHING... if the far part of an arm of a character was not visible to the camera, I would hide it. What happens is when you load in a scene, everything you load gets stored in your system memory. When you go to render it, whatever is visible (or marked visible, whether you can actually see it or not) is loaded into your video card's memory to be rendered and for the shaders (which are programs run on your video card itself) can access them. So when you click that EYE icon to hide something, it will not be loaded into video card memory. Even part of a character's arm as I stated makes a difference. You could free up video memory and increase the detail on what is visible and maybe it wouldn't be too bad.... dunno... certainly it speeds up renders. For example, here's a scene I rendered on my older 1050TI...

render geometry 1.jpg

Not a lot is visible except his arms and parts of her body... so I hid quite a bit, here's what it looked like from my interface. It's a little creepy! LOL... body parts missing, I only kept the room's walls and lights intact as they effect lighting and shadows...

render geometry 2.jpg

I would maybe check your lighting as well, yeah... angle the light to bring out the contrast and shadows more perhaps?

Anyhow, your render did look great. If you can afford it, a "cheap" RTX3060 12G model (not the TI model as it has less memory) REALLY helped me.

Night Hacker

Forum Fanatic
Jul 3, 2021
I was closely examining certain models, in this case the one I used for my Jade (BeingADIK) model for skin moles etc... basically comparing them to game characters in order to try and identify what assets were used and... well... I really liked this view! LMAO... I was checking for breast moles and, well... thinking switched to the little head and this render was born. :cool:

Jade's breasts HD.jpg

CLBlisse

Apr 16, 2022
Yeah, you do have to be careful with what your PC can handle. What I used to do when I had an older video card is I would hide EVERYTHING that was not visible...
This is a good advice, you can also go much further.

-Turning down texture max size in render settings
-Rendering at a lower resolution.
-Lower model subdivision level. (this will help a lot but can affect close-up quality).
-Using the spot render tool to render the image in parts.

Hiding items in a scene does reduce vram usage, but for some reason hidden items still use a little bit of vram during a render so deleting them fully is the only way to get 100% of the vram back.

cpu rendering is also viable if you have a half decent cpu, it just takes 10 times as long.

Also also using a is essential for low-iteration images.

Night Hacker

Forum Fanatic
Jul 3, 2021
This is a good advice, you can also go much further.

-Turning down texture max size in render settings
-Rendering at a lower resolution.
-Lower model subdivision level. (this will help a lot but can affect close-up quality).
-Using the spot render tool to render the image in parts.

Hiding items in a scene does reduce vram usage, but for some reason hidden items still use a little bit of vram during a render so deleting them fully is the only way to get 100% of the vram back.

cpu rendering is also viable if you have a half decent cpu, it just takes 10 times as long.

Also also using a is essential for low-iteration images.
I used to reduce texture size using scene optimiser which worked well. I never had to delete anything. I only had 4G of VRAM but was able to do quite a bit just by hiding. The bonus is that once I got a better card I could reload the scenes and unhide things... which I actually ended doing.

I have an interesting render from the dark days of low VRAM... the following render was one I started by accident as I didn't have the camera selected, but I let it go anyhow as it looked interesting... almost some sort of strange art. heheheh... but it showed just how much I hid from view (I had also reduced texture size for these)...

First, the accidental render...
motel_room manager_sex13pers.jpg

This may look confusing until you see what the real scene was SUPPOSED to be...
motel_room manager_sex13.jpg

If it wasn't visible, I hid it. I actually created a script so I could just click on something and press "V" to hide it rather than clicking the eye icon which really helped.

This is one of my old renders I did after reducing texture size and just hiding everything...
motel_office enters-old.jpg

And this is the same scene after I reloaded it on my new video card and unhid everything and reset the texture sizes back... you can mainly notice the texture difference on the ground outside the door, otherwise it's not that bad...
motel_office enters.jpg

CLBlisse

Apr 16, 2022
I used to reduce texture size using scene optimiser which worked well. I never had to delete anything. I only had 4G of VRAM but was able to do quite a bit just by hiding. The bonus is that once I got a better card I could reload the scenes and unhide things... which I actually ended doing.

I have an interesting render from the dark days of low VRAM... the following render was one I started by accident as I didn't have the camera selected, but I let it go anyhow as it looked interesting... almost some sort of strange art. heheheh... but it showed just how much I hid from view (I had also reduced texture size for these)...

First, the accidental render...
View attachment 2407133

This may look confusing until you see what the real scene was SUPPOSED to be...
View attachment 2407134

If it wasn't visible, I hid it. I actually created a script so I could just click on something and press "V" to hide it rather than clicking the eye icon which really helped.

This is one of my old renders I did after reducing texture size and just hiding everything...
View attachment 2407138

And this is the same scene after I reloaded it on my new video card and unhid everything and reset the texture sizes back... you can mainly notice the texture difference on the ground outside the door, otherwise it's not that bad...
View attachment 2407147
It's impressive what you managed to do with just 4gbs of vram. How come you didn't resort to cpu rendering though, just too time costly?

• Thinking Face
Reactions: WooShang

Yustu

May 22, 2018
Another way to work around low spec is to render by layer, so background -> optional objects -> characters -> foreground, and then compose.

Main problem is additional work that has to be done, so depending on purpose it may be ok or not, but that is basically professional workflow that allows to change each element of VFX without the need to re-render everything and optionally crank up details on specific parts.

Night Hacker

Forum Fanatic
Jul 3, 2021
It's impressive what you managed to do with just 4gbs of vram. How come you didn't resort to cpu rendering though, just too time costly?
Yup. CPU rendering would take literally hours. I done all those renders using denoising, usually with around only 100-200 iterations in about 5-10 mins.

I actually managed to get THREE characters in one render, which I thought was impossible on that old card with only 4G of VRAM, but after hiding everything that wasn't visible, I got the following render (using denoising in about 5 mins, give or take)...

AWAM Bathroom - Neil Enters Shower 7.jpg

This is what the scene looked like from DAZ, so you can see there isn't much left of poor Liam's (in the door) body! Heheh. I also stripped down the bathroom etc...
Three Characters on a 1050TI.jpg

Night Hacker

Forum Fanatic
Jul 3, 2021
WARNING: Wall of text in the spoiler. If not interested, look at the tits and move on, but I know there's a few people here that enjoy some more Academic discussions. The text is for them, I don't expect anyone to actually read through it.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
I don't do postwork but looks good! When I want to emulate something, I will generally search online for real life images of what I want and then see what I can do to duplicate it. I mostly like to see what I can do with just rendering. Nice work. (y)

Reactions: WooShang

wildcat99sh

Aug 31, 2017
As i've read somteimes here, that people are hiding some elements and even body parts to make the render faster (?), i was wondering whether Camera Cutaway won't be of any help. :unsure:

I tested it one or two times (a lil bit ago) and i can remember that it was very helpful.

pontiffprick

Jun 23, 2020
I've been playing with Daz renders for just over 1 year now and while I've certainly made progress from being a total noob, I feel as though I've reached a standstill in terms of improving my renders.

I tried to go for a "real" camera look with this one, ignore the clothing clipping as this is more just an experimental render. Please give me feedback on how I can make this look more realistic!

For this render, I used:
  • One light in the same position as the camera with a very slight (10 unit) offset in a random direction, pointing at the subject
  • One dimmer light off to the left side to provide a shadow gradient, so the image doesn't look as "flat"
  • Depth of Field on the camera
  • Burn highlights to min in the Tonemapper Settings
Finally I added a chromatic aberration effect in GIMP

sofa4k-RGB_B.png

HawkyDawky

Mar 18, 2019
I've been playing with Daz renders for just over 1 year now and while I've certainly made progress from being a total noob, I feel as though I've reached a standstill in terms of improving my renders.

I tried to go for a "real" camera look with this one, ignore the clothing clipping as this is more just an experimental render. Please give me feedback on how I can make this look more realistic!

For this render, I used:
  • One light in the same position as the camera with a very slight (10 unit) offset in a random direction, pointing at the subject
  • One dimmer light off to the left side to provide a shadow gradient, so the image doesn't look as "flat"
  • Depth of Field on the camera
  • Burn highlights to min in the Tonemapper Settings
Finally I added a chromatic aberration effect in GIMP

View attachment 2407438
Great job ! I like the "realistic" video effect, the focus seems to be done at the first plane. Is that a choice ? (y)

0ier 3D

Aug 2, 2021
I would hide EVERYTHING that was not visible, and I mean EVERYTHING... if the far part of an arm of a character was not visible to the camera, I would hide it. What happens is when you load in a scene, everything you load gets stored in your system memory. When you go to render it, whatever is visible (or marked visible, whether you can actually see it or not) is loaded into your video card's memory to be rendered and for the shaders (which are programs run on your video card itself) can access them. So when you click that EYE icon to hide something, it will not be loaded into video card memory. Even part of a character's arm as I stated makes a difference. You could free up video memory and increase the detail on what is visible and maybe it wouldn't be too bad.... dunno... certainly it speeds up renders. For example, here's a scene I rendered on my older 1050TI...

Not a lot is visible except his arms and parts of her body... so I hid quite a bit, here's what it looked like from my interface. It's a little creepy! LOL... body parts missing, I only kept the room's walls and lights intact as they effect lighting and shadows...

View attachment 2407039

I would maybe check your lighting as well, yeah... angle the light to bring out the contrast and shadows more perhaps?

Anyhow, your render did look great. If you can afford it, a "cheap" RTX3060 12G model (not the TI model as it has less memory) REALLY helped me.
Yeah, very good point about hiding the unnecessary stuff. It is kind of creepy watching behind the scenes stuff. I'm trying to make a habit out of making groups for stuff to be hidden right now.

Contrast and shadows I will keep in mind. I think I'm a ways away from affording a new gpu though. Thanks for the advice!

5.00 star(s) 12 Votes