3D-Daz Daz3d Art - Show Us Your DazSkill

5.00 star(s) 12 Votes

osanaiko

Engaged Member
Modder
Jul 4, 2017
Had the hardest time trying to smooth out the shadows on her sweater.
The problem is due to the mesh resolution. At base mesh resolution each plane face that makes up the sweater model is relatively large and the surfaces have individual Normal directions. With a close camera like this render you can see clearly how the different planes catch the light differently based on their individual Normal direction.
Try increasing the Sub-d (subdivision) value for the sweater object. It should not have a large effect on render times unless you go crazy high. But it should give you a much smoother "curve" of faces and thus get a more natural treatment of the shadow line.

Reactions: Impious Monk
Nov 9, 2020
It has to be an extra light you added causing that. Whenever I use HDRI's I never had a problem like that. The shadows are always fairly soft. I just loaded up a character asset and HDRI, no other lighting at all and this is the result, so... not sure what could be causing your problem, except that you're using extra lighting?

Note: This is just 400 iterations with denoising on the last iteration (denoising set to 400), that's it.
View attachment 2448041
No light was added because I couldn't get rid of the one in the HDRI. It was actually worse until I increased the dome size, increased the lighting resolution, and moved the environment x-axis. There is no depth of field added because that's what the dome ended as. This is the first time I've had this issue, it might be the sweater.

Reactions: Night Hacker

Officina_Sopianae

Game Developer
Nov 10, 2022
I'm working on my first project and I wonder if this is considered an OK quality render. I can only afford to have 500 samples sice I use CPU to render (sad, I know)
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
When I posted my frist render in my project most "negative" (with good intentions) comments were about greasiness, I started using NVidia AI denoiser, IMO it is better than the built in. And it is very fast.

Nov 9, 2020
The problem is due to the mesh resolution. At base mesh resolution each plane face that makes up the sweater model is relatively large and the surfaces have individual Normal directions. With a close camera like this render you can see clearly how the different planes catch the light differently based on their individual Normal direction.
Try increasing the Sub-d (subdivision) value for the sweater object. It should not have a large effect on render times unless you go crazy high. But it should give you a much smoother "curve" of faces and thus get a more natural treatment of the shadow line.
I put it up to three , and used high resolution instead of base resolution, which is my pc limit. The sweater is an old buy, but that hasn't been a problem before.

tripod70

Not so Well-known Member
Game Developer
Oct 23, 2020
  • Red Heart
Reactions: Shivawn
Nov 9, 2020
For spotlights I tend to not use the spread angle and change it's height and width both to 100 to soften any shadows with the light geometry set to rectangle (weird since I set the height and width the same but oh well) I don't really use spotlights often and tend to go with emissives or pointlights and HDRIs.

As for getting rid of the light from HDRI you could change the environment mode to scene only but that takes it away completely then you could add a sky background in post.
Adding the background in post seems to be the only thing left to do. Could you tell me how to use my HDRI in post? I use GIMP.

5.00 star(s) 12 Votes