3D-Daz Daz3d Art - Show Us Your DazSkill

5.00 star(s) 12 Votes

MovieMike

Aug 4, 2017
View attachment 326326
It is crazy how dark it still is although a lot better now. My biggest problem at the moment is to figure out which of my monitors has the more normal brightness. My main one seems way to bright, at least this scene was really bright.

So yeah tried to use ghostlights here. Some seem to work fairly well, some I need to change.
I still wasn't able to make the crystals glow by themself, but now seeing how dark everything still is, maybe when I make the really bright it wouldn't look too bad :D
I put some ghostlights in the chest crystal, definitly something I don't want to do for every crystal :D
Looking much better. Do the crystals have their own surfaces under the surface tab? If so, make sure to select them and then apply the emission shader and then you can make them glow red, blue, purple, etc.

For the ghost lights, you can also adjust the color so you can make them a bit red if that's what you're going for, but honestly, you may be better off setting up a couple spotlights, changing the geometry of them to rectangle, changing the size from 10 by 10 to something like 100 by 100 to make the light soft, crank up the lumens to 750,000 or so, change the color to a shade of red and have at. I think that would help a lot as ghost lights generally don't cast a lot of shadows or reflections, but spotlights do and they tend to render fast.

To make the scene brighter you may want to hope into the tone mapping tab and adjust the iso, exposure, etc. Also, I like changing my gamma from the default 2.20 to something like 1.6 or 1.8 to raise the contrast a bit. You can also crush blacks a bit to see if that helps. Basically play around with it. If you use iray preview the tone map changes should happen instantly generally without too much more time needed for a new test.

And you may want to put a light behind the dragon angled at the edges of his wings. Right now he kind of blends into the background, but a nice backlight would make it stand out a bit.

Impressive work though. I've been so lazy lately that I couldn't even imagine doing a render like this right now.

Reactions: J..D and GhostPhil
5.00 star(s) 12 Votes