Meh21

Jun 10, 2017
Any plans of expanding combat so PC's can self-defend better? It would be cool if fighting someone was not necessary just about getting her hands away from you, but also knocking them out cold. It's weird that even with max stats every combat situation is still about "someone is holding you, hurt them enough to give you a chance to escape".

EternalAzri

Apr 18, 2022
Any plans of expanding combat so PC's can self-defend better? It would be cool if fighting someone was not necessary just about getting her hands away from you, but also knocking them out cold. It's weird that even with max stats every combat situation is still about "someone is holding you, hurt them enough to give you a chance to escape".
Somewhere on blog Vrel confirmed, that they may add self defense classes in future updates.
I guess, this is it.

crash.7ds

Nov 18, 2018
What's even weirder is how often this sort of thing gets asked even though it's been explained why more times than I could possibly count. I don't mean to sound like an ass, but the general premise is that you're not really supposed to be able to overpower your attackers. I know that's what some want, but that's one of the unique traits of this game is that the player is never top of the food chain. It's like playing a game about being a sub and asking for ways to be the dom instead. I don't doubt that Vrel ever implement more ways to improve how well you handle combat, but I wouldn't expect miracles.

Reactions: Tsugumi

Viressa

May 24, 2018
What's even weirder is how often this sort of thing gets asked even though it's been explained why more times than I could possibly count. I don't mean to sound like an ass, but the general premise is that you're not really supposed to be able to overpower your attackers. I know that's what some want, but that's one of the unique traits of this game is that the player is never top of the food chain. It's like playing a game about being a sub and asking for ways to be the dom instead. I don't doubt that Vrel ever implement more ways to improve how well you handle combat, but I wouldn't expect miracles.
I think the reason this question gets asked so often is that this game *does* allow you to fight back and win against your rapists. There's a "sadism" trait and Feats for grinding it and everything. So the inability to be a proper top/predator yourself feels like a hole where missing content should be rather than an intentional omission.

madchef

Jan 10, 2020
I think the reason this question gets asked so often is that this game *does* allow you to fight back and win against your rapists. There's a "sadism" trait and Feats for grinding it and everything. So the inability to be a proper top/predator yourself feels like a hole where missing content should be rather than an intentional omission.
if you look really close at the game's themes, it's plain to see the main trope is that of JK girl getting sexually molested by some otherworldly forces. Everything else is, more or less, an afterthought, including playing as a boy, I mean young man. To associate sexual sadism with fighting spirit and active resistance the way this game does is just silly. It's not the only game that does that, of course.

Tsugumi

Oct 16, 2018
The problem going down this road is that people ask for a shift towards dom -> Vrelnir yields to a degree -> people ask for a further shift by using the previous shift as a reason. "You should do it again because you did it in the past" is simply nonsense. Textbook "give an inch and they will take a mile". A line has to be drawn somewhere.

Jun 25, 2017
I don't want dom but I do want proper defiance and for that defiance to actually have narrative weight. For instance I went through Eden's questline fighting them off 1-2x a day for weeks until I'd built up enough affection to have it be consensual. Is this at all easy? No. Is it an option? Yes. Is it at all recognized in the narrative that you wooped that ass for two consecutive weeks before you grew on each other? No.
Defiance is almost always an option; the option to just be like "NO", but its usually not recognized in the narrative and often locks you out of content. I get the intended direction of the game and I've played through it as such, but my own preference is to get and play my best hand and its not acknowledged or rewarded.

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2017
OH yeah that's not why I came here. I've a save that I've been using for 7rl version now but I can't get certain content.

#1 I read on the wiki Jordan can speak to you about the wraith? I got the schism achievement but no dice.
#2 I can't seem to trigger Robin's cross dressing quest line. I got them the right costumes on Halloween and Christmas and tried alot to trigger the scenes from the wiki but it's just not happening.
#3 I finished the dancing mansion quest that paid $$$, and can't go back but I think there was a museum item there. Am I hit?

• Haha
Reactions: Tsugumi

ladguru

Oct 18, 2018
#3 I finished the dancing mansion quest that paid $$$, and can't go back but I think there was a museum item there. Am I hit?
If you got the mansion job as a quest from the temple then the mansion gets locked again once you've rescued the kid.
You have to unlock the mansion again via the normal dance job.

Last edited:
Reactions: PerpetuallyAmiss

crash.7ds

Nov 18, 2018
The problem going down this road is that people ask for a shift towards dom -> Vrelnir yields to a degree -> people ask for a further shift by using the previous shift as a reason. "You should do it again because you did it in the past" is simply nonsense. Textbook "give an inch and they will take a mile". A line has to be drawn somewhere.
Honestly, my favorite one is "If you give a moth a cookie, it will want a glass of milk."

I will admit though that what the game seems to intend is not as clearly demonstrated or unquestionably obvious. Even Darkest Dungeon and it's subsequent sequel both convey opening disclaimers about how the world of DD is about facing hard choices that WILL result at times in failure and loss...it's how you get back on the horse that matters despite what ever setbacks you are forced to endure and what you've learned in the end when it matters most. Besides an opening encounter you simply luck out in, DoL has no such message.

I don't know, I don't think I'm completely against adding more ways to combat wins from attackers, I'm just worried that will eventually lead to DoL loosing what I think is its most valuable trait. Maybe I'm looking too much into it, but DoL gives no hand and asks you to persevere anyways. I like that honestly and it's what sets it apart from most.

LandBeach

Jun 3, 2019
The game is very much a sandbox sort of thing I feel.

Tsugumi

Oct 16, 2018
I don't think I'm completely against adding more ways to combat wins from attackers, I'm just worried that will eventually lead to DoL losing what I think is its most valuable trait. Maybe I'm looking too much into it, but DoL gives no hand and asks you to persevere anyways. I like that honestly and it's what sets it apart from most.
Preaching to the choir. ;)

Meh21

Jun 10, 2017
Eh, I don't know.

My way of playing the game might be an outliner as the appeal to me was always about being able to slowly become stronger and better at fighting off attackers as well as generally becoming less harmless. Adding more of that kinda content is what would please me, but I wouldn't dream to demand.

The developer does as they please and of course the vision they have of the project is what matters the most.

crash.7ds

Nov 18, 2018
Eh, I don't know.

My way of playing the game might be an outliner as the appeal to me was always about being able to slowly become stronger and better at fighting off attackers as well as generally becoming less harmless. Adding more of that kinda content is what would please me, but I wouldn't dream to demand.

The developer does as they please and of course the vision they have of the project is what matters the most.
You'd like Kenshi from the sounds of it. It's why I've pumped hundreds of hours into it myself...you're bottom of the barrel, even skinny little street rats could have their way with you. Then you train your character up until you are the level of godhood that even the dreaded Beak Things phuking run for dear life at the sight of you.

In any case, the dev seems really receptive to feedback. He replies to a shit load of comments on his blog posts, so he's at least open to suggestions.

Raf-Raf

Conversation Conqueror
Dec 4, 2019
You'd like Kenshi from the sounds of it. It's why I've pumped hundreds of hours into it myself...you're bottom of the barrel, even skinny little street rats could have their way with you. Then you train your character up until you are the level of godhood that even the dreaded Beak Things phuking run for dear life at the sight of you.

In any case, the dev seems really receptive to feedback. He replies to a shit load of comments on his blog posts, so he's at least open to suggestions.
Ah yes, kenshi.
Tell me how balanced sneak and assassination is.

crash.7ds

Nov 18, 2018
Sneaking and assassination? Nah, brah...I train my peeps up to carry around Falling Suns and cleaving shit like Lu Bu on angel dust. To the point that I have to keep going back to the surgeons to rescale them so they don't wind up looking like some character from Warcraft...unless that's I want them to look like.

4.50 star(s) 185 Votes