JJJ84

Engaged Member
Dec 24, 2018
I'm the same when it comes to AVNs, but you'll definitely enjoy this game either way. The switching pov hasn't been obtrusive thus far and the devs give you the ability to opt out of playing/watching the female route. Bonus points from me because the main protag is a fully mature adult, no shota! I highly recommend this game to you.

Do keep in mind that the next episode is supposed to heavily feature the daughter's mission so if you opt out you'll probably miss a lot of important story action. For that reason, and because this is a crucial point in that character's arc, I'm going to play through the upcoming female protag portion. As long as I don't have to watch my main LI Shani getting a train run on her by desert bandits, it should be fine.
Yeah, I'm generally not that into multiple protagonist games all that much, but the way this game does it has been great.
Shani is the other protagonist, but it's not as intrusive as some media (film, tv shows) pushes things (i.e. the female character pushing out a main male character just for the sake of it, without any valid story reasons lol).

Also, another fact that it's so great with this game is that Shani is such a lovable character (heck she's my favorite character in the whole game, followed closely behind Ivy whom I hope will get lots of love too, especially with the Mutants storyline coming back!).
So I totally don't mind even if possibly a lion's share of next update (or one after it as well) focuses on Shani than the MC.
Tbh, I just want to see and experience what she goes through initially as a fledgling Stalker to become more experienced and capable Stalker based on what MC taught her till now.
So yeah, I have a really good feeling about it.

Kellermann

Engaged Member
Oct 20, 2020
Yeah, I'm generally not that into multiple protagonist games all that much, but the way this game does it has been great.
Shani is the other protagonist, but it's not as intrusive as some media (film, tv shows) pushes things (i.e. the female character pushing out a main male character just for the sake of it, without any valid story reasons lol).

Also, another fact that it's so great with this game is that Shani is such a lovable character (heck she's my favorite character in the whole game, followed closely behind Ivy whom I hope will get lots of love too, especially with the Mutants storyline coming back!).
So I totally don't mind even if possibly a lion's share of next update (or one after it as well) focuses on Shani than the MC.
Tbh, I just want to see and experience what she goes through initially as a fledgling Stalker to become more experienced and capable Stalker based on what MC taught her till now.
So yeah, I have a really good feeling about it.
Agreed, Shani is my favourite LI (I don't really have a favourite character, I like them all). I think Ivy would be higher on my LI list if we had more scenes with her, but it's been fleeting since our initial encounters. That's fine though because it adds to the mystery of her. I have to say I don't think there is one female character with a speaking role in this game that I don't find attractive. I can't really say that about any other game on F95.

While I am interested to see the Stalker trials, I'm not as excited as you to switch protags for most of the episode. I just prefer following my main MC throughout the course of a game. I would feel the same if the protag switch were between male characters as well. Just my personal preference to stick with one person since I self insert when playing games like this. Full role play.

JJJ84

Engaged Member
Dec 24, 2018
Agreed, Shani is my favourite LI (I don't really have a favourite character, I like them all). I think Ivy would be higher on my LI list if we had more scenes with her, but it's been fleeting since our initial encounters. That's fine though because it adds to the mystery of her. I have to say I don't think there is one female character with a speaking role in this game that I don't find attractive. I can't really say that about any other game on F95.

While I am interested to see the Stalker trials, I'm not as excited as you to switch protags for most of the episode. I just prefer following my main MC throughout the course of a game. I would feel the same if the protag switch were between male characters as well. Just my personal preference to stick with one person since I self insert when playing games like this. Full role play.
Heh, yeah. Probably should have corrected myself saying Shani is favorite LI (even though I do like all the other LIs too).

Oh right. While I wouldn't mind even if Shani takes up majority of the update with her Stalker Trials, I'd imagine with the actual update, it will probably be more like 30 Shani / 70 MC or if the devs really wanted to amp up her content, I'd say they may push it towards 45 Shani / 55 MC split.
Which is totally fine. Really enjoy being in MC's shoes. And if there's more MC pov, I think it increases the chance of more Ivy and the mutants stuff.
Anyway it goes, feels like a win-win.

With Ivy, I feel devs will probably take more of a slow-burn approach compared to other LIs of the game, considering the bad experience she was having when MC first met her, and the fact she is initially a bit apprehensive towards our MC.
I feel that's one of her charms.

Kellermann

Engaged Member
Oct 20, 2020
Heh, yeah. Probably should have corrected myself saying Shani is favorite LI (even though I do like all the other LIs too).

Oh right. While I wouldn't mind even if Shani takes up majority of the update with her Stalker Trials, I'd imagine with the actual update, it will probably be more like 30 Shani / 70 MC or if the devs really wanted to amp up her content, I'd say they may push it towards 45 Shani / 55 MC split.
Which is totally fine. Really enjoy being in MC's shoes. And if there's more MC pov, I think it increases the chance of more Ivy and the mutants stuff.
Anyway it goes, feels like a win-win.

With Ivy, I feel devs will probably take more of a slow-burn approach compared to other LIs of the game, considering the bad experience she was having when MC first met her, and the fact she is initially a bit apprehensive towards our MC.
I feel that's one of her charms.
I'm cool with a slow burn for Ivy. She is a particular character that doesn't need a full content dump in one shot. The approach to this game's LIs has been excellent. I love it when a game provides lewd scenes with the main cast right away, but then also does a slow burn with other characters that are just as desirable. It's true that Shani is the one household main LI with limited action, but we'll get there. I'm just stunned and impressed that DS went off script by not having the matriarch's lewd scenes drip fed. Zahra is both sexy and supportive...what a catch she is! Meanwhile, Ain provides a welcome relief for those, like me, who are pining for Shani.

JJJ84

Engaged Member
Dec 24, 2018
I'm cool with a slow burn for Ivy. She is a particular character that doesn't need a full content dump in one shot. The approach to this game's LIs has been excellent. I love it when a game provides lewd scenes with the main cast right away, but then also does a slow burn with other characters that are just as desirable. It's true that Shani is the one household main LI with limited action, but we'll get there. I'm just stunned and impressed that DS went off script by not having the matriarch's lewd scenes drip fed. Zahra is both sexy and supportive...what a catch she is! Meanwhile, Ain provides a welcome relief for those, like me, who are pining for Shani.
I swear with every scene Zahra is getting in, the devs are making her look younger and younger :love::ROFLMAO:
And yeah, the whole inner conflict MC has with the "I shouldn't be doing this" regarding Shani (not the traditional taboo in a sense, since in world of DS, incest seems to be okay [that is if players sets those parameters in options], but still screams taboo, heh") just makes the whole relationship between him and Shani even more alluring/intoxicating.

Don't remember the name of the girl (i.e. MC's friend's niece, whom MC accompanies to the market and meets with the priestess-like pregnant woman), but I have a feeling she's gonna be a relative slow burn too (though to lesser extent than Ivy I think).

Which I find is great.
The game does not push all LIs into single category into one extreme or the other, so there's something for everyone to enjoy (that is, if you're into one extreme but not the other. Luckily, I'm into both).

Last edited:

mrttao

Forum Fanatic
Jun 11, 2021
I usually steer clear of female protagonist games as it just doesnt click with me being a guy but if its brief I dont want to pass up what looks a pretty badass game.
I think calling it a female protagonist is a misnomer. You are very clearly a man. just that sometimes you may optionally play some scenes from the point of view of your waifu-daughter

ohmz

Feb 6, 2021
by hard mathematic from two and half months of developing.....january...or dev is joking about this numbers....
That means I can now start catching up on the time I missed so we get ready for the December release.
The numbers in my post are somewhat old. And the dev is saying December still. So I will still have hope for December. Certainly not February like the post I was responding to said.

Cynicaladm

Oct 21, 2020
We indeed plan to release in December. Save for unforeseeable circumstances, that should still be the case. If it were my decision it would be a case of it's ready when it's ready, but Z likes a schedule and to set himself targets, so i know he shall disappoint me by putting In an unhealthy nr of hours.

Echoesinthedarkness

May 18, 2020
Well we are already in the middle of third month since last update, and all that time could have been used to avoid unnecessary crunch to rush update in the last couple of weeks.

• Angry
Reactions: longsuper1

Cynicaladm

Oct 21, 2020
Lol stitch your ass together, and try not to implode that fast in the future. I think first 6-8 weeks progress was going for like 10-20% on a single scene, so if in the next couple of weeks this guy will need to go for 50 or more percent its reasonable to point out that he is doomed it upon himself.
yah.. well.. life happens and circumstances and priorities change.
That said, I could have been a little less abrupt. you caught me during a break in a very long work day and I was probably harsher than I usually am. That was probably unwarranted.

However, the point stands... all that time was spent on a multitude of things, some related to the game, some not related.
Very little of it was wasted, and I don't think Z deserves to be called out on time management, because I actually know how he manages it and how much of it goes into the game... and he delivers quality updates at a pace matched, on average, only by games with much bigger budgets and a team of actual professionals who work on it full time, so I guess you will understand at least the reason for my reaction, if not the tone.

disC0rdia

Jun 6, 2020
I see it the same way.
VNs live from immersion. Switching characters breaks (well not really breaks, but decreases) immersion or lets you skip to the ones you like to see. I personally would prefer a stronger focus on one protag (so here: just telling from the perspective of the MC).
Nevertheless I could live with it, if they build Shani up to a full second protag, as it doesn't seem to me, that they will lose themselves in xy hundreds side protags (and as long, as it is for the sake of the story). I can undestand, that they may want to deliver an objective for female readers - although I would qustion here, if a full second story with a female MC wouldn't deliver a much more satisfying result for each party.

But be it as it may, desert stalker will always be a pioneer project for me, as it is the first title ever, where I could enjoy the sandboxing/'free roaming' (or see any sense in it).
(And the first title, where I got the feeling that the author really gave thoughts about the way how sandboxing/'free roaming' should be built in, so that it actually has a use/profit for the reader)

dolfe67

Forum Fanatic
Apr 25, 2020
Nevertheless I could live with it, if they build Shani up to a full second protag, as it doesn't seem to me, that they will lose themselves in xy hundreds side protags (and as long, as it is for the sake of the story). I can undestand, that they may want to deliver an objective for female readers - although I would qustion here, if a full second story with a female MC wouldn't deliver a much more satisfying result for each party.
Female Protagonists are not reserved to female readers (on the contrary when you see the average FP game). If you don't self insert you can make her do what you want her to do.

It's like saying Tomb Raider was made for female players...

Kellermann

Engaged Member
Oct 20, 2020
I see it the same way.
VNs live from immersion. Switching characters breaks (well not really breaks, but decreases) immersion or lets you skip to the ones you like to see. I personally would prefer a stronger focus on one protag (so here: just telling from the perspective of the MC).
Exactly. Immersion breaking is the best way to put it for me. Epic novels can easily switch perspectives, but AVNs, not so much. I'll give the devs the benefit of the doubt and say the main reason they switch to Shani is because they want the players to get more engrossed in her story and the beginnings of a desert stalker. I have no desire to see my LI Shani fucking her way through the desert without my MC, though.

But be it as it may, desert stalker will always be a pioneer project for me, as it is the first title ever, where I could enjoy the sandboxing/'free roaming' (or see any sense in it).
(And the first title, where I got the feeling that the author really gave thoughts about the way how sandboxing/'free roaming' should be built in, so that it actually has a use/profit for the reader)
Sometimes I like sandox box games and sometimes I don't. It all depends on how it is implemented. This game does sandbox flawlessly imho. I never feel like I'm grinding in any way. Everything I do in the game is either fun or intriguing or adventurous.

Female Protagonists are not reserved to female readers (on the contrary when you see the average FP game). If you don't self insert you can make her do what you want her to do.

It's like saying Tomb Raider was made for female players...
I actually play and like Tomb Raider fem protag games, but those aren't AVNs where a big part of the game is the character getting railed. The immersion breaking is a big part of why I don't like mid-game switches especially M to F, but another part is Shani is an LI. She's my preferred LI too. I have no desire to "become" my LI when I started the game as someone else. That's just weird. It's one thing to become a fly on the wall and watch another character do a few things, but here you are actually taking complete control and making choices from the perspective of said character. Again, it's bizarre for players like me who role play as the starting MC.
It's just not my kink to "control" a female protag for the sole purpose of inserting her into situations where she gets molested. And that's a main component of a lot (not all but a lot) of heterosexual female protag games on F95. Thankfully, I don't foresee the devs doing that with Shani, so I'll remain hopeful.

Paz

Aug 9, 2016
I have no desire to see my LI Shani fucking her way through the desert without my MC, though.
Shame :cry:

On a more serious note though, most of the time the POV switch is also warranted by narrative reasons. One notable upcoming example is the Zone, where Shani will be on her own.
Z will be nowhere close, so the only way to experience it is through Shani's eyes, if you choose to do so.
If you don't, there's a strong possibility that you'll get a synopsis of what happened there upon her return but not a step-by-step rundown.
This unfortunately means that certain updates will feel shorter for players that chose to not follow Shani around.

Another potential side-effect of it is, it's possible that Shani will be called to make some decisions in certain occasions so if you choose to not follow her, she will make those decisions on her own.
Of course this would be impacted by how Z tutored Shani up to that point so it will not be out of complete control of the player, but still something unable to control at that specific moment.

All in all, Shani will not become the centerpiece of DS in terms of "being the MC", it's still and will be Z's adventures by and large.
I fully understand the immersion breaking, but it's something that we feel adds to the game and Shani's journey was always planned to be sort of -if not integral- closely linked to the overall story.

4.80 star(s) 589 Votes