blablubiblub

Nov 1, 2017
I can't seem to trigger the "person from my past". I solved both of Kara's issues and met her at the pool several times, but no new character can be seen anywhere.

Finsit

Harder Better Faster Cheater
Game Developer
Jun 2, 2017
Is it possible to change the name MC so that it is not called "Player" ?
What is wrong with that name ?

"Peter Player" has a nice ring to it doesn't it ?

To answer you question, no no way to change the name.
Well you could change the name displayed but it wouldn't change the name in the dialogues.

But if you really want to change it try p.char.name = "McDerpface" that should work with any character and carry through saves. But yeah, won't change the dialogues.

Use this at your own risk!

I think I managed to circumvent the broken phone. The crash couldn't find variable "a".
So I used Unren to enable the developers console for the game and put the following into the console(ctrl+o):
a=0

The phone works, but I don't know if that breaks something else. I haven't reached the latest content yet, so we'll see.
Nice try, but there is already a fix for it, as well as a workaround a = Girl("Alice", color="#FFFF85" that will work if you don't want to use the patch for some reason.
And icing of the cake you can open the console in the Preferences menu without having to use Unren.
Still, nice try.
And you workaround will cause issues down the road, but you only have to patch your game it will overwrite your workaround.

had freshly installed 38 today..played..bugged to heck..saved..saw fix..applied..went back in..loaded save...still bugged...do i have to actually restart or something ?
Ok let's try that : when you encounter the crash rollback save then load that save.

Does it still display 0.38.0 in the traceback ?

If it still displays 0.38.0 :
If you used Unren or something like that to activate the console remove that.
Then activate the console with the Preferences menu then press Shift+O it should crash.
Does it still displays 0.38.0 ?

I can't seem to trigger the "person from my past". I solved both of Kara's issues and met her at the pool several times, but no new character can be seen anywhere.
It takes around 30 days after having met Kara at her pool. If you loaded from a save you already did everything then wait passing time in the classroom.
If you are a cheater then you can easily boost it a little time.day += 20(more time won't do anything you need to pass time manually after that point)

Reactions: Darkaura

nietzsche666

Apr 11, 2018
First try contacting Alice by phone after meeting with Kara leads to crash (File "game/alice_story.rpy", line 169, in <module> KeyError: <store.Girl Object at 0x06AAA490>).

Is this just about content not yet available or is there something wrong? Using patched (and showing) 0.38.2

nietzsche666

Apr 11, 2018
I tried the fix described above. Now the game wants me to setup a meeting with Alice, but I'm not able to phone her afterwards. although phone is blinking. But I don't get the console crash.

Finsit

Game Developer
Jun 2, 2017
First try contacting Alice by phone after meeting with Kara leads to crash (File "game/alice_story.rpy", line 169, in <module> KeyError: <store.Girl Object at 0x06AAA490>).

Is this just about content not yet available or is there something wrong? Using patched (and showing) 0.38.2
FUUUUUUU

Forgot about that case scenario.

Go in the console and type message.update_dictionary()

Reactions: flylupus

ThunderRob

Devoted Member
May 10, 2018
started a new game..traceback still..the log shows 38 still..deleting game and downloading full version..i was running compressed...will install the full then apply the patch and see if that solves the issue.
ok..that worked..i am error free now..seems compressed version is NOT the way to go here..lol...

Kilvyn

Mar 11, 2019

Finsit

Game Developer
Jun 2, 2017
@Finsit: Tried that, but console says "none" and he still doesn't want to call Alice despite the phone blinking.
Console saying "None" is perfectly normal behavior in that case. And that mean that problem is solved.

Now for the blinking phone.
I just don't see how it could happen, could you send me a save with that behavior ?

started a new game..traceback still..the log shows 38 still..deleting game and downloading full version..i was running compressed...will install the full then apply the patch and see if that solves the issue.
Oh, that is it !

It's the compressed version.
Due to the script files are uncompressed from the archive. And when a .rpyc is uncompressed it takes priority from the one in the archive.

Delete all .rpyc except 02_image_defines.rpyc.

ThunderRob

Devoted Member
May 10, 2018
Console saying "None" is perfectly normal behavior in that case. And that mean that problem is solved.

Now for the blinking phone.
I just don't see how it could happen, could you send me a save with that behavior ?

Oh, that is it !

It's the compressed version.
Due to the script files are uncompressed from the archive. And when a .rpyc is uncompressed it takes priority from the one in the archive.

Delete all .rpyc except 02_image_defines.rpyc.
yup..i edited my comment to say that fixed it..full version+fix=success

nietzsche666

Apr 11, 2018
@Finsit. Thanks a lot. Somehow it didn't work if I applied the alice.color etc. fix from above first.

Started new and from the position when game wants me to setup meeting with alice the message.update_dictionary() command worked.

MauritkCL

Feb 3, 2018
@Finsit @ThunderRob Excuse me gentlemen (or ladies), I seem to be having the same problem you all mentioned above. The one with calling Alice for the first time, it telling me an exception has been found and it promptly crashing the game entirely.

I have been reading your discussion above and while I understand a lot of it, I don't understand all of it, and thus can't implement whatever solution you guys have come up with. Would it be possible for you to either explain in slightly more detail or perhaps create step-by-step manual on how to implement it?

Just to give you the necessary information, I am running the original 0.38.0 with the 0.38.2-patch put in. In the interest of not creating errors, I started an entirely new game, though I have used 'UnRen'-cheating to up my serum counts and money, to help speed things along. I am running the Uncompressed version.

This is the error-message I have been getting.
1553052798906.png

Please let me know if you can help me.

Finsit

Game Developer
Jun 2, 2017
@Finsit. Thanks a lot. Somehow it didn't work if I applied the alice.color etc. fix from above first.

Started new and from the position when game wants me to setup meeting with alice the message.update_dictionary() command worked.
Well, that's why I don't like to give commands for people to use as workaround.

When you grab a command that you don't understand you may be notice it's the wrong one for your case, use it, and cause other issues.

And due to my programming style you need to be really Ren'Py savvy and knows about the inner working of the game to understand what they do. That is clearly unlikely to be the case.

Said programming style also causes merry things like being quite heavy to maintain retro-compatibility with saves.
And when it fails like with the 0.38.x, it fails deadly.
I didn't want to make this version save breaking right after the other. That meant I had to uses systems that were designed before I had a good idea of how they should work.

Without getting in the details there I made a system that is supposed to allow me to add or update the content already in the game. And I'm not talking about regular Ren'Py content, talking about custom content. That to allow for not breaking the saves.

Anyway, I never had to really use it up until now as we never used much triggers, so the system was purely based on the prediction of what would be interesting to have. Now that I needed it, I refined the specifications for it realizing how lacking my prediction was.
But I cannot update it. because it would need to break save.

So I'll keep using it until the next save break.

Because of that I messed up the implementation of the new character.

Second major cause of bug in this update : the split of the script.
The rationale about the split was to be able to release patches thus not forcing you to download the whole game for each minor update.
Doing so I tidied a little the scripts when splitting them from the rest of the content. You know your little friendly cleanup.

Turns out I misunderstood one thing or two about Python and that lead to completely messing with the saves. So I workaround it to not break the save, but doing so I was a little trigger happy with the Replace and ended up removing an underscore too much and that led to the "activate" bug.
Nice irony to have a way to patch that right ?

So then why bother making custom system if they are a pain to maintain ?
Well because I know their inner working and can easily identify bugs and know how to fix them right away.
And also because they'r not hard to maintain just, they'r just hard to maintain without breaking saves.

@Finsit @ThunderRob Excuse me gentlemen (or ladies), I seem to be having the same problem you all mentioned above. The one with calling Alice for the first time, it telling me an exception has been found and it promptly crashing the game entirely.

--snip--

Please let me know if you can help me.
Thanks for your job of making sure to give me all the info needed.

The magic bullet in your case : message.update_dictionary()

Now what is hitting me now is the aftermath of the short lived 0.38.1, I made a fix for the saves that messed up with the new games.

The fix is ready, but I don't have a way to release it.

And it's 05 I have bee up all night making sure bug were addressed in one way or another since 21 yesterday. I think I'll sign off for tonight.

Angel Espinal

Jun 20, 2018
can i get a save? last time i played this game was like 1 year ago. I wanna go back and this thing appears

Snoopy_H

May 30, 2018
Reactions: cccxxx
4.10 star(s) 58 Votes