RustDust

Jul 18, 2017
I really like this game. The writing is humorous and philosophical and manages both really well. I'm interested in the characters, lore and magic mechanics. The occasional smut is just gravy after all that. The only issues I have are things like not having more images for the various scenes. Also the music can get a little annoying, especially after that serious slaver fight where the cheery overworld tune barges in.

Reactions: Cryswar

Cryswar

The Profound Dorkness
Game Developer
May 31, 2019
Thank you for another update :)
I'm not giving up on this game! It's been a blast.

I was pleasantly surprised by how much I liked the humour and writing in this one, so far anyway
I'm glad to hear that. The humor at the start is a contentious subject it seems, always makes me happy to hear someone enjoyed it.

I really like this game. The writing is humorous and philosophical and manages both really well. I'm interested in the characters, lore and magic mechanics. The occasional smut is just gravy after all that. The only issues I have are things like not having more images for the various scenes. Also the music can get a little annoying, especially after that serious slaver fight where the cheery overworld tune barges in.
I'm glad you're digging it so far! I confess, much of the game is an excuse for me to indulge in world/character building, it's what I really enjoy.

Can you go into what you mean by more images? Background images or character art?

I can see how going from super serious music right back to happy funky music would be less than ideal, I'll see if I can fix that up. I appreciate that concrit, I put a lot of work into finding fitting music for characters etc, but actually using it well is... a learning experience for me.

John Bon Clay

Jul 14, 2020
Important thing is that you do the game you want to do and have fun doing it..
I think that is what is missing with todays games, or I am just old? haha, I meant usual games.
Not just for profit, but for fun as well :)
Just do your thing and have fun!

Last edited:
Reactions: Nevart and Cryswar

RustDust

Jul 18, 2017
Can you go into what you mean by more images? Background images or character art?
The character models and backgrounds seem fine. I meant like full artwork you see in visual novels during important, noteworthy or steamy scenes. Like how Katawa Shoujo does it (for lack of a better example.)
Occasionally you'll get a unique image for key moments:
Hanako_Encounter_Part_1.png katawa emi.jpg
But 95% of the time the game looks like this:
katawa-2.png katawa emi 2.jpg

Divine Dawn's writing is great, but I found myself wishing there was at least one picture to give me an idea of what's happening, especially during moments like the abyss monster fight near the beginning since my imagination can only accomplish so much.

Kaftein

Nov 22, 2019
Sam's lack of scenes still causes me great pain, saving myself as much as possible for best bro-wife.

Anon21

Mar 29, 2017
When you get a pic for a character, does the text description just disappear? I think it would be nice if you could switch between text and pics in combat etc.

Cryswar

The Profound Dorkness
Game Developer
May 31, 2019
Important thing is that you do the game you want to do and have fun doing it..
I think that is what is missing with todays games, or I am just old? haha, I meant usual games.
Not just for profit, but for fun as well :)
Just do your thing and have fun!
That's the dream! I wanna make other people happy too, of course.

The character models and backgrounds seem fine. I meant like full artwork you see in visual novels during important, noteworthy or steamy scenes. Like how Katawa Shoujo does it (for lack of a better example.)
Occasionally you'll get a unique image for key moments:
View attachment 1432490 View attachment 1432474
But 95% of the time the game looks like this:
View attachment 1432455 View attachment 1432475

Divine Dawn's writing is great, but I found myself wishing there was at least one picture to give me an idea of what's happening, especially during moments like the abyss monster fight near the beginning since my imagination can only accomplish so much.
Ahhh gotcha. Yeah, unfortunately, high-quality CGs are... very expensive, and I'm only just starting to make enough to do character art. I would love to have CGs for a number of moments though. Metatron's appearance is one that would be prohibitively expensive to commission, but I REALLY want to see it realized, you know? Right now there's just the one, for Sarah's paizuri scene.

Sam's lack of scenes still causes me great pain, saving myself as much as possible for best bro-wife.
Sam will get more soon for sure, her and Metatron really deserve to get in on the lewds in their own special ways. Didn't think it'd take this long to get to, but hopefully the light at the end of the tunnel isn't a train.

When you get a pic for a character, does the text description just disappear? I think it would be nice if you could switch between text and pics in combat etc.
That is the current implementation. With how much people complained about the text boxes I figured art was the preference. That IS something I could maybe/probably do, idk exactly when I'll get to it though.

Reactions: Kaftein and zARRR

zARRR

Forum Fanatic
Nov 6, 2020
Ahhh gotcha. Yeah, unfortunately, high-quality CGs are... very expensive, and I'm only just starting to make enough to do character art. I would love to have CGs for a number of moments though. Metatron's appearance is one that would be prohibitively expensive to commission, but I REALLY want to see it realized, you know? Right now there's just the one, for Sarah's paizuri scene.
That would be fantastic even if expensive and time consuming.
But still your writing leaves a lot to the "imagination", I may have a wild one, but like in KS, I really love to imagine all the scenes happening in mind, and this requires usually a great writing, like yours.
Maybe one day the game will have images for everything, but for now I am happy like this.

• Red Heart
Reactions: Nevart and Cryswar

Cryswar

The Profound Dorkness
Game Developer
May 31, 2019
Mets on a Wrestling Tournament when?
Also Orc Girl when too?
Metatron would absolutely believe every moment of professional wrestling and get SUPER into it. I kinda want to write that now...

Don't have any orcs planned for the setting, so unlikely. More muscular girls are coming for sure though.

Reactions: Nevart and sonolfal

Cryswar

The Profound Dorkness
Game Developer
May 31, 2019
Seems like a great game and setting, looking forward to how it advances in the future! I've noticed a few bugs when playing through the latest release (0.15a), which are below:

When "fighting" Aspasia in camp, an uncaught exception that seems to relate to her being in the sex stance gets thrown. The trace-back is here.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

When "fighting" Ashley in camp, fighting her again seems to switch the dialogue to Maya's, with the lines, name card, and music all changing over as if you had initiated a battle with Maya instead. Ashley's sprite remains on screen however. This has occurred both prior to meeting Maya at all, as well as after she has been invited to camp.

When going through the Severn Floodplains:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

I've also noticed that the game keeps track of how often companions cast spells/abilities, however they do not advance them into an alpha or beta version much like the player character can. Is that going to be a planned feature in the future? Allowing them to "specialize" their spells depending on which version they choose (and accompanying extra power/effects) seems like it would allow them to keep pace in higher leveled areas instead of remaining limited with the base versions.
Thanks for the reports and feedback! I'm glad to hear you're enjoying the game.

Aspasia thing will take some work to fix, but should be good in .16. She was the first sex battle and despite some updates, it's showing its age.

The Maya thing is the victim of me being very... incautious about copying over code between events. Fixed now.

The Severn rest issue, ironically, you found the only route that had that issue. Fixed! I've been surprised how many people ignored the fishy bois haha.

On ally masteries, I actually just did a poll in the discord last week to see how people wanted me to introduce them. PROBABLY .16, maybe .17 depending on how things go.

MoarDakka123

Jul 7, 2020
Heyy, I'm really glad I tried this, ended up enjoying it quite a bit! Especially appreciate the sheer amount of allusions to previous dialogue choices, that stuff is my jam and I feel it's a feature often under-utilized. I mean, a choice doesn't have to lead down a whole route, right? Just some flavour text like "Yes, I remember you saying something like that earlier" is so little, yet brings so much to the table for me, so that's, like, a lot of points right there.

I also rather like the skill system you have, really simple and makes sense in a ton of ways. Kinda reminds me of some of the older Final Fantasy games (even though it's completely different from any I can remember).

Anyways, the clock just hit 4:00 and with it I realized I completely forgot what I came here to say, so you'll have to do with some compliments.

P.S. You know, earlier in this thread someone said they're not a fan of Sam, and while I can't say dudebro-isms are my kind of jam, some of your interactions with her really cracked me up.

1633654576219.png

That is just top-tier dorky, and I love it. Overall, I really do like the character though, you hit a nice mix of some classic archetypes.

EDIT Oh, wait, now I remember!

1633655212269.png

This here, I feel like everyone's scale (though Celica's in particular) is completely out of whack, especially as the game just finished describing to me how she never really had a growth spurt, and then Sam is standing right next to her with her absolutely jacked body, and somehow still looking like there's a chance she'd lose in wrestling.

Last edited:

Cryswar

The Profound Dorkness
Game Developer
May 31, 2019
MoarDakka123 Hey, glad to hear you enjoyed it! I probably store too many choices, but it's fun to do little callbacks even if not all of them are major, plot-altering choices.

Sam is a bit of an acquired taste, but I love her (/him). They're a wonderful dumbass.

The character height is indeed a known issue, I'm hoping to get the game up to 1080 and resize characters appropriately in the next update. Those three, in particular, were drawn by different artists with different dimensions and free space above/below the characters proper, so I gotta do some dicking around to make it look better.

Cryswar

The Profound Dorkness
Game Developer
May 31, 2019
Don't you dare!

On a slightly more serious note, I noticed Metatron's sprite isn't implemented if you choose her as your companion for the morning spar.
Sparring can't really handle the sprites yet, sex battles didn't either until last update. HOPEFULLY fixed this coming update but the battle code is... significantly denser so we will see.

MoarDakka123

Jul 7, 2020
Ohh, right, I see, didn't occur to me one bit. Makes me curious though, what is it that makes it tricky to code? Off the top of my head I imagine it's something with dynamic character levels, but it's not like I have any idea how any of that is set up.

Cryswar

The Profound Dorkness
Game Developer
May 31, 2019
Ohh, right, I see, didn't occur to me one bit. Makes me curious though, what is it that makes it tricky to code? Off the top of my head I imagine it's something with dynamic character levels, but it's not like I have any idea how any of that is set up.
Long story short, stuff like health bars, names, etc. would need to be removed or placed differently based on image size, and I would need to do some custom code to recognize when it needed to hide a certain character image, or how to change expressions (ex. angry/lipbite when hit). None of it is impossible, just need the time to sit down, figure out exactly how to handle it, and then code whatever custom stuff I need to make it work.

Most of this week has been reworking the character event window and transitioning the game to 1080p though, so like I said, it really depends on how fast I can finish that off and get a meaningful chunk of actual game content before I can justify spending a few days on that.

Reactions: MoarDakka123
4.50 star(s) 37 Votes