RPGM Completed Divinion - The Dark Lord Returns [v2.0.1] [Tjord]

4.50 star(s) 2 Votes

.Inori

Jun 28, 2018
I rescued him but in turn I didn't receive the exp and the checkmark, although I get the gold from that mission...

JaszMan

Aug 13, 2018
View attachment 303465

Overview:
In a world living in fear of the being known as the Evil One lives Renan, a boy gifted with intelligence and a knack for magic. As the prophesied catastrophe draws near, can our hero gain power and companions to fight this ancient evil?
Well... no. Because first, he has to graduate from his school. And there's this thing inside his head that tells him that being evil can be fun too. And the Evil One is not that bad... or is she? Wait, there are two of them??
Divinion is adult fantasy game created with RPG Maker MV and a sequel to The Dark Lord Rises. Renan's journey continues, this time in eastern kingdom of Sunder, torn apart by the demonic invasion and a civil war. Will our hero and his companions, old and new, be able to stop the threat and uncover mystery of Renan's return to his original form?
Compared to it's predecessor, Divinion offers much more polished, less-linear and more satisfying gaming experience, spiced with upgraded adult content.​

Thread Updated: 2019/05/15
Release Date: 2019/05/11
Developer: Tjord - - F95Zone
Censored: No
Version: 1.0.1
Language: English
Prequel: The Dark Lord Rises
Genre:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Installation:

Changelog:

DOWNLOAD
Win: - - - -
Others: COMPRESSED

Extras:

View attachment 303482 View attachment 303483 View attachment 303484
Where does possible Corruption of Characters come into the mix ?.

Vanndril

Jul 12, 2018
Where does possible Corruption of Characters come into the mix ?.
The main character doesn't corrupt or control anyone until the very last scene of the true end of the game. If you choose the normal end, the main character never corrupts or controls anyone ever again - not once through the entire game.

The occasional character is temporarily or otherwise revealed to have been controlled/corrupted by ANOTHER force near the end of the game, but there's 0 sex involved in this control.

In short, if you're playing this hoping for sexy mind control fun, you're out of luck. You get a single scene later on, and that's it. Judging by the true end, however, it looks like the continuation of this game with a release date of sometime 2020 will be much more mind control focused.

Vanndril

Jul 12, 2018
Damnit... Abandoned?

I am sure that he said(I forgot where.. maybe in his blog?) that he needed time to continue his game and that he will return in 2020..
I'm almost certain I read that as well, which is why my earlier post said it would be continued sometime 2020. I believe it was stated in-game, after you achieve the true-end, but I really don't feel like replaying just the check.

Tjord

Game Developer
Sep 18, 2017
I'm almost certain I read that as well, which is why my earlier post said it would be continued sometime 2020. I believe it was stated in-game, after you achieve the true-end, but I really don't feel like replaying just the check.
Yep.

I do not like uploading small, insignificant updates, next version will probably finish the story.

Vanndril

Jul 12, 2018
Aha! So it is, then.

I look forward to continuing (and probably finishing) the story in the next update.

And Tjord, if you don't mind leaking a bit of your plan, is there any chance our lovably antagonistic protagonist will manage to finally regain his male gender? You keep teasing us, what with him starting as a male again in this game and regaining his real male body in the normal end. I just wanna know if I can look forward to that or not. :p

Last edited:

FenrirsBlade

Feb 15, 2019
So is it only me? Or is the game's difficulty ramped up WAY too much?

Just started and am now in that goblin cave and battles seem pretty brutal. Especially when they paralyze which is pretty much an instant game over...

And exp gain seems utterly laughable in comparison. 30 exp for one battle when I already need 1000 exp just to level up to level 2? That's just insane...

Sorry for the criticism. :(
Was really looking forward to what fate has in store for our likeable (and at the same time unlikeable) Renan and of course his companions and friends (or enemies?)
But if battles stay as hard as this then I'm not sure I will enjoy it very much...

Vanndril

Jul 12, 2018
It does end up getting a bit easier eventually, but battles also turn into a total slog. I only got so far in the game before I just got tired of it and cheated.

Tjord

Game Developer
Sep 18, 2017
Just started and am now in that goblin cave and battles seem pretty brutal. Especially when they paralyze which is pretty much an instant game over...
That battle is designed to be very tough; it makes sense, considering circumstances. It's 100% skippable.

And exp gain seems utterly laughable in comparison. 30 exp for one battle when I already need 1000 exp just to level up to level 2? That's just insane...
That's WAD, you get majority of XP from doing quests.

Sorry for the criticism. :(
No need, I value your insights :)

It does end up getting a bit easier eventually, but battles also turn into a total slog. I only got so far in the game before I just got tired of it and cheated.
Yeah, that's basically problem with RPG Maker combat, even if I tried to make things better. I'm currently experimenting with various plugins and systems to overhaul combat - final chapter for sure will feature completely different combat system.

Reactions: FenrirsBlade

FenrirsBlade

Feb 15, 2019
That battle is designed to be very tough; it makes sense, considering circumstances. It's 100% skippable.

That's WAD, you get majority of XP from doing quests.

No need, I value your insights :)

Yeah, that's basically problem with RPG Maker combat, even if I tried to make things better. I'm currently experimenting with various plugins and systems to overhaul combat - final chapter for sure will feature completely different combat system.

Alright. Gotta admit the game DOES get more manageable after that section once you have more members. And I have to say those towns and the sidequests seem very well done! Great work there. :)

Oh, and actually I wasn'T talking about that "boss" battle. in the cave. I was actually talking about the normal battles against goblins. Things could get bad pretty quickly there .... But at least it is only a short section, so I guess it is not too bad.

And yeah. I guess tying exp gain and most money gains to mainly quests is actually a good idea for those who don't want to grind battles.

Let's just see how it goes.... For now Renan seems like a good guy again. Was kinda worried the way the last game ended with Reina. That girl was pure evil at the end!

Vanndril

Jul 12, 2018
In large part, yeah. Working with RPG Maker is a ton of fun, but it's hard to take the tried and true turn based combat systems and have it feel unique and immersive. I like a lot of what you did with the combat in this chapter. I can't give an in-depth explanation into why, since it's been quite a while since I've played the game and don't want to replay it at the moment, so a lot of the nuance escape me. But I can tell you that I remember liking the overall feel of the combat.

There were two things in particular which I remember bothering me with the combat.

First was that enemy initiative was just too high. Pretty much every time I entered combat, nearly all the enemies would end up going first. This persisted throughout the game regardless of how high I tried to stack initiative, and there honestly really aren't that many ways to increase it. The problem with this is that it just doesn't feel good. Going into battle and then sitting there for a few turns getting beat on before you can act is simply unfun. The first few turns set the mood of the battle, and those turns seemingly always belonged to the enemy. There were times I went into battle naked just to get the first hit, and even that only worked rarely. At the very least, I'd say that Alan should have gotten a first-turn initiative bonus so he could reliably go first in order to allow the player to use one of his tanking skills to direct the flow of combat from the very start. With how it was, by the time Alan got to act as a tank, my party was likely half-dead across the board. So even when I did finally get my first few turns in the battle, I was best off spending them spamming potions. Then, finally, as my second turn rolls around, I could actually start going on the offensive and dealing damage.

Second was that skill selection was so very scarce. I was spamming Attack just as often as not. When I was using skills or magic, it was usually a single, low-cost spammable which is, for all intents and purposes, just a stronger "Attack" option. Prime examples of this are... *opens game to look at skills* ...True Strike and Flame Bullet. Quite frankly, having a spammable skill that basically just does more damage than Attack is about as fun as just spamming Attack. You may as well have just buffed Attack at that point. All it meant was I had to not deal damage every so many turns to recover MP by using a potion. The lack of healing skills also meant I was spamming potions for direct healing instead, which isn't exactly exciting.

The first of these problems makes the battles feel unnecessarily drawn out, and the second makes the time spent in battle feel uninteresting due to lack of options to achieve victory. I feel that fixing these two things would leave you with a more immersive combat.

FenrirsBlade

Feb 15, 2019
Alright. Finally finished this second part.... Now I'm eager to see how it continues...

It's funny how much I ended up liking the characters. I was kinda worried since Reina was such an evil bitch at the end of the first game. but she seems nice enough now. Almost like she did an whole 180 degree turn somehow. Also found it weird how nothing happened to Natalia.... First Renan says he takes a look at her after the party to check up on her, and suddenly there is a two-month time-skip? Somehow that didn't make that much sense to me.... But overall you did very fine work with the game lore- story- and characterwise!

I also hoped there would finally be a meet-up between Renan and Lynn... Would be interesting to see how that would play out. And thank god Allen is well at least! Was getting worried after he had been used up by those succubi....

Now on another note... I believe I read somehwere that there are supposedly three endings to the game? normal, true and bad ending. I got the normal ending that much I know. Now it says to load a save from BEFORE the coronation... A save that I of course don'T have.... Maybe you should put some sort of warning for such incidents? Like for example "It is advised to keep this savefile seperate" or something along those lines? Might help a lot.... Does anyone her perchance have a save file I could use for the other two endings? Kinda curious to see what will happen.

As for the gameplay I have to agree with Vanndril in his post above mine. Enemy initiative is WAY too high... Ofen enough I ended up with my whole party loosing half their health before I even got a turn in. And I think equipment should make more of a difference perhaps? I feel like I was forced to use Field supplies after practically every single battle despite having all the best bought equipments from stores... Fortunately field supplies were cheap as hell, so that at least wasn't much of an issue. Also the damage ouput seems pretty low at times and enemies are using WAY too many status debuffs, that at the time you can do mostly nothing about... Plus I think attacks are missing way too often as well.... Obviously in an rpg like this, missing attacks is just a part of the battle system. But when basically every second attack you do misses, then something seems wrong. All of this sucks A LOT of fun out of the battles and turn it into something more frustrating than fun.

Also maybe give some of the bosses an overhaul.... Some seemed almost luckdependant. Let's take Dijkstra for example. Buffs himself up like crazy, to the point where nearly everything misses. And he immediately reaplies it the second it runs out, without you being able to do anything about it.... BAsically it came down to stupid luck wheter i would actually hit him or not. That is made even worse by the fact that he was able to use potions....

The final boss was also guitly of this. Not sure if it was terrible rng, but I was actually stuck at that battle for about 30 minutes, becuase he would use that spell where he drains your party's hitpoints over and over again. Somtimes even several times in a row.... Finally I seemed to have once again just gotten lucky because for some reason he suddenly decided NOT to use it anymore.... Again nothing more than dumb luck...

Anyways rant over! overall I really liked the game! Apart from some of these battles...

EDIT: Just realized we never found out who that far right person was on the title screen? Or at least I couldn't remember for the life of me.... Did I miss something here? Or is that person part of the other endings?

4.50 star(s) 2 Votes