VN Ren'Py Dog Days of Summer [Rework v0.2.1b] [BlackWeb Games]

4.30 star(s) 38 Votes

Ragnar

Super User
Respected User
Aug 5, 2016
Yeah, the engine is not very stable, What engine is it? It looks like rpgmaker but i'm not sure.

BlackWebGames

Dog Days of Summer developer
Game Developer
Jan 11, 2020
I like the way this story starts, the art is really nice and the tags are promising. I would very much like to continue playing but it's hard. After loading from a previous save (I normally save when there is a menu giving options so that I can replay choosing one of the others) the game won't progress anymore. The text box remains empty. Stopping and restarting the game doesn't help. Loading from a save not at a menu screen seems to work as it should but since this ui doesn't allow you to step back to a previous menu that isn't of much help.

A minor point: When restarting the game only the 1st 8 saves show up to start from.

BlackWebGames: I will keep an eye on your game. It sure is promising.
The game auto saves in slot 1 before every choice so if you load that it should work fine.
I am working on revamping the menus to hopefully fix all that.

Reactions: EdPokol

FallenLondon

Aug 5, 2016
yep, seems to happen on a very specific path. But with other choices it works.

Would be nice to the dev to give him more details so he can reproduce the error. Like: Romance > Jokingly > I like it > and so on. The Ctrl-key speeds up this pain a lot.
I had the black-screen freeze too. BlackWebGames: any choices you're interested in in particular?

Update: it's not the choices. Loaded up a save with no choices left and Mrs. Harper's scene loaded just fine. I blame the engine. And Canada.

Soul_less327

Dec 24, 2019
I want to like this game, I really do. I love the concept and I love the renders, but the engine is super unstable. I tried to go to options to make it full screen and it force closed... on the options screen.... yeah. Why not convert it to ren'py? If you can use ren'py to make a game like Being a Dik, surely you can use it for this game as well.

JadeKitten

Donor
Apr 27, 2017
I've never seen such a broken unplayable game. I copied my saves from 0.2, some of them give black screen, some of them work but the dialogues don't start so the game is 'frozen', the options button from main menu crashes the game etc. I really wanted to play more but I'm gonna have to wait until the dev switches to ren'py or something (if that ever happens).

EdPokol

Mar 31, 2019
The game auto saves in slot 1 before every choice so if you load that it should work fine.
I am working on revamping the menus to hopefully fix all that.
Thanks to your comments I actually was able to play through the game but, due to the engine's instability, it still was a rough ride. That being said the replay value is awesome and has impressive potential. Choices really matter, lots of different paths and scenes. Found quite a few different endings and I'm sure there are many more for me to discover. So I'm anxiously looking forward to the next version.

Why not convert it to ren'py?
Imho a good question. Ren'py has all basic game functions covered.

BlackWebGames: If you manage to stabilize the current engine all is well of course but if you haven't already considered Ren'py please do. Of course, porting your code to Ren'py will be quite a job but you won't be bothered by game engine troubles after that.
Whatever you decide to do please let your next version be a stable one. The game you are creating deserves a good engine.

BlackWebGames

Game Developer
Jan 11, 2020
It could be the one of the best games :) BlackWeb Games, you do not have patreon page?
Thank you! And I do not. I'll just copy what I said on my subscribestar page as to why. But if you want to support me you can do so either on Subscribestar or buymeacoffee. Otherwise thank you for playing and hope you continue to enjoy the game in the future.

So why not Patreon?
There are several reasons for this. First being that Patreon has changed many of its funding practices driving up prices and taking more and more of a percentage in order to have the services that were free only a year ago. Practices like these tend to get worse long before they get better if they ever do. And while I am less concerned about making a profit and more just getting the word out there, I hate giving money to that sort of people.

Secondly and probably more importantly, Patreon has been making it more and more difficult for adult content creators. They are constantly changing what is and isn't allowed so they can catch them violating their terms of service and sometimes they don't even bother with that before banning them outright. Most of the time giving little to no justification and rarely giving them an appeal process much less a fair one. Again I see this problem getting worse before better. So if Patreon doesn't want me then I won't use them. Simple as that.

bcool

Donor
Sep 29, 2018
Please keep on with this very good job.
The render with the forced blowjob by the teacher is one of the best bdsm one I saw so far. Please correct your spelling and (if possible) move to Renpy :)

Reactions: BlackWebGames

Androvinus

Apr 5, 2019
I am absolutely loving this game so far. There are many branching paths and the writing is very good. Other than the obvious spelling errors and problems with the engine, the only issue I have is that a lot of paths seem to be incidental rather than by choice.

For example, if you choose to not invite Des to sleepover you can spy on your mom and then your character starts having sexual fantasies about her. But there is no option to express interest in your mom if you do invite Des over. Then there is the talk with your mom about the party if Des is over. If you tell your mom you won't go to the party your mom kisses your forehead and you go to sleep having sexual fantasies about your mother but if you tell her you'll think about it she doesn't kiss you and you don't have any fantasies about her.

I don't mind unforeseen consequences but I prefer to have a little more control over my character's interests and feelings. It just seemed like a lot of things that don't have explicit choices for them would be missable. It makes it difficult to know what you are missing and where your choice led you down a different path.

Though I still think the game is great and I wouldn't mind if the developer just kept doing what he's doing because he's doing great so far.

Whitelemon

Feb 13, 2020
This is a very good game (maybe the best), the caracters are beutifull, and the story is connected and logical, the caracters have their own unique personality. It is an excelent job so far. I like the lesbian and lezdom content. I prefer the submissive way (when the protagonist become submissive).

BlackWebGames Do you planning to add opportunity for the protagonist to get tattoos and piercings in the future? Or be forced to get tattoos and piercings by her mistress or other characters?

BlackWebGames

Game Developer
Jan 11, 2020
This is a very good game (maybe the best), the caracters are beutifull, and the story is connected and logical, the caracters have their own unique personality. It is an excelent job so far. I like the lesbian and lezdom content. I prefer the submissive way (when the protagonist become submissive).

BlackWebGames Do you planning to add opportunity for the protagonist to get tattoos and piercings in the future? Or be forced to get tattoos and piercings by her mistress or other characters?
Thank you. And yes.;)

Gigalomaniac

May 22, 2017
BlackWebGames loving this game so far! Ms. Harper is bae and branching plot is always a good thing <3
BTW idk if it helps but most of the bugs related to the inconsistency of the plot (if you want to cheat but game thinks that you want to come and help directly despite your previous choices, etc) are fixed by simply closing the game (and running it again afterwards). If I start a new playthrough without closing it first then...yeah, it becomes a mess.

The only suggestion I have is to make an alternate choice to avoid forced blowjob in the blackmailed submissive path. I mean, I see where you're coming from in that particular scene but, as a player, I was only interested in FxF and glory hole was a big "no-no" for me...and my character was like "ok, why not" without giving the player at least a chance to protest.
All in all it was a pretty enjoyable experience and I wish you good luck with your game, I'll look forward to it!

4.30 star(s) 38 Votes