Corambis

Jul 2, 2017
That is a trouble with the Patreon model. Even if your financially sound, after awhile you realize that you have paid $100, $200, $500 over the course of a year or two for a video game. Eventually, no game is worth that much.
I wonder if this is the price to pay for niche games that cater to a small crowd - would they have been made otherwise? Just thinking out loud - some of the games that are featured on F95 are very professionally done. Unless they can be sold on Steam etc., is there another way?
It's a fair point. Patreon has been a godsend for independent creators, and I think that's great. Taken as a whole there is a lot of money available to creators via Patreon, money that would otherwise never have found creators. As individuals though, the long-term cost of a game is VERY high. If you can find a game that is complete/late in development, then you can get an absolute steal! But if you're backing a game like DH or DFD from the beginning, after about 10 months it's starting to get expensive...and you aren't even half way. That's one of the reasons I think the sweet spot for a monthly game is 18 months. For me, when I start to push two years with one project I begin to question the money I'm spending.
I've definitely had to reconsider the money I spend on Patreon and other platforms. $5 here or $20 here doesn't seem like too much. But when it's monthly, and you're supporting a lot of stuff, it kind of sneaks up on you. Then when you look back and realize you spent what amounts to an insane amount of money for a game, it takes you aback a little. I realize we're not just paying for the game. We're paying to support the developer that makes the game. But I'm going to be more strategic and selective with my support now. Support might be only an occasional thing now for some games that I used to support, or others I just realize that I wasn't getting my money's worth from them will just get dropped. Nothing against the developer there in most cases. It's that the game didn't match me well. There's not always a lot of replay value in some of these games either, or even just replaying certain scenes. The scenes are fun the first time through, but then the novelty is gone. There are older games I go back to time and again though. Or I'd go back to DH and DFD more, except to replay a scene I want would require remembering which update it was in versus just loading a save. Patreon's crackdown on certain taboos has also meant that most developers just hint at certain things versus being tailored to them, as past games were, so maybe that's affecting my viewpoint somewhat.

If money starts becoming less of an issue though, I'm definitely coming back to support more games. Maybe not at the levels I did in the past though. I don't have to always pay for the first day access, or some of bonuses.

Reactions: GingerSweetGirl

GingerSweetGirl

Engaged Member
Aug 23, 2020
It's the big risk a team like LJ is taking by moving to a bi-monthly release schedule. I understand and approve of their decision to do it from a creative and work/life balance perspective, but as a patron it's tough to swallow. For now I've kept my support the same, but I'm taking a leap of faith. I figure I should have a better feel for Shale Hill Secrets after three episodes, but that's going to take roughly six months. So that's a lot of time and money to spend on faith. In hindsight, while I think DH was a good game, I'm not sure I would have supported it all the way through. So I'm hoping that the team takes SHS in a new direction from their previous works.

cxx

Message Maestro
Nov 14, 2017
That is a trouble with the Patreon model. Even if you're financially sound, after awhile you realize that you have paid $100, $200, $500 over the course of a year or two for a video game. Eventually, no game is worth that much.
10 bucks per month = 120 bucks (+taxes every month) per year and it takes 2 years to finish game so that 240 bucks +taxes and add few (5-10) more games to that so at worst it's 100 bucks per month and 1200 (+taxes) bucks per year and not many can't afford to pay 100 bucks (+taxes) per month for a game and if dev abandons game after year then paid (or pays if dev keeps billing open and payer doesn't notice that project got abandoned) 120 bucks from nothing.

10 bucks 2 maybe 3 times per year is better for all except devs.

Zed | Love-Joint

Love-Joint Team
Game Developer
Dec 18, 2018

ep18.png

Please remember to report any bugs or issues to bug-reports and all other feedback to constructive-feedback in our server. Thank you again for your patience, we hope everyone is keeping well!

Remember, Episode 19 and the epilogues are already available on our page if anyone would like to consider checking it out. Patrons will also get access to releases of our new game, , which we hope to release the next instalment of this month!

cxx

Message Maestro
Nov 14, 2017
Chapter 18 was only available here, not officially on Love-Joint. Chapter 19 and Epilogues are placed behind a Patreon password, so if you want to see it early you will need to support.
well here and everywhere where it was leaked.

cxx

Message Maestro
Nov 14, 2017
Last update september 2020 ?
well yes and no. last time update was leaked was last year and few days ago that leaked was released officially for free and next and last update for free is some months away. game is finished but last update+epilogues haven't been released for free yet.

Reactions: PePeTheCoCk

Holmster74

Aug 27, 2020
well yes and no. last time update was leaked was last year and few days ago that leaked was released officially for free and next and last update for free is some months away. game is finished but last update+epilogues haven't been released for free yet.
Sounds like the game have been finished a long time ago??

robbaniak

Jul 17, 2019
Chapter 18 was only available here, not officially on Love-Joint. Chapter 19 and Epilogues are placed behind a Patreon password, so if you want to see it early you will need to support.
You are convinced that you know what you are saying ...
...but I played Chapter 18 of this game at in January.
Is this a pirate site? I don't think so.
P.S. Remember that everything before the "but" doesn't matter ;)

Reactions: Holmster74

cxx

Message Maestro
Nov 14, 2017
yes if you are patron.

Zed | Love-Joint

Love-Joint Team
Game Developer
Dec 18, 2018
I can assure you that you didn't play Episode 18 from the 'Our Games' section on our blog earlier than this month - you may have played it through our URL from a leaked link, but not directly from our blog.

Reactions: Zane Truesdale

BestSumy

May 22, 2021
◤━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━◥
Double Homework Index
◣━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━◢

Thanks to Zephrah for sharing the links!

Official Online Version Links & Cheats:

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
⎽⎼⎻⎺⎺⎻⎼⎽⎽⎼⎻⎺⎺⎻⎼⎽⎽⎼⎻⎺⎺⎻⎼⎽⎽⎼⎻⎺⎺⎻⎼⎽⎽⎼⎻⎺⎺⎻⎼⎽⎽⎼⎻⎺⎺⎻⎼⎽⎽⎼⎻⎺⎺⎻⎼⎽⎽⎼⎻⎺⎺⎻⎼⎽⎽⎼⎻⎺⎺⎻⎼⎽⎽⎼⎻⎺⎺⎻⎼⎽⎽⎼⎻⎺⎺⎻⎼⎽⎽⎼⎻⎺⎺⎻⎼⎽⎽⎼⎻⎺⎺⎻⎼⎽⎽⎼⎻⎺⎺⎻⎼⎽⎽⎼⎻⎺⎺⎻⎼

Unofficial Fully Offline Versions (Windows Only):

This version is unofficial! Game developers have no affiliation with this

⎽⎼⎻⎺⎺⎻⎼⎽⎽⎼⎻⎺⎺⎻⎼⎽⎽⎼⎻⎺⎺⎻⎼⎽⎽⎼⎻⎺⎺⎻⎼⎽⎽⎼⎻⎺⎺⎻⎼⎽⎽⎼⎻⎺⎺⎻⎼⎽⎽⎼⎻⎺⎺⎻⎼⎽⎽⎼⎻⎺⎺⎻⎼⎽⎽⎼⎻⎺⎺⎻⎼⎽⎽⎼⎻⎺⎺⎻⎼⎽⎽⎼⎻⎺⎺⎻⎼⎽⎽⎼⎻⎺⎺⎻⎼⎽⎽⎼⎻⎺⎺⎻⎼⎽⎽⎼⎻⎺⎺⎻⎼⎽⎽⎼⎻⎺⎺⎻⎼

$20 Bonus Images:

R.I.P. Palmer :cry:
Great information hope it will help someone

Reactions: 1nikolas
3.30 star(s) 90 Votes