Luderos

Game Developer
Jul 20, 2020
Just a bit of a progress update since it's been a while: It's not quite ready yet, but I hope to be publishing an update with the Test Barn soon. It is a stripped down environment that is helping to get the animated scenes built and tested more easily. For those of you with performance issues, this should also be a way to check out the scenes in a more friendly space as well. Unlike the others, in this scene the AI will take over and control the action.
A little while after the Test Barn is up, the scene should make its way into the game along with the context for the mechanic and the opening of some additional gameplay areas.
dotf_testbarna.jpg

blood_rain

Jan 14, 2019
Before I say anything I understand this game is currently in version 0.2 and this is only a demo. I would just like to point out some ideas for improvement.

Quick recommendations for this game concerning fps optimizations (use them or not I don't care, I would just like to see this game as playable on extremely low-end PCs or laptops, while adding QoL things for everyone so that they may better enjoy it):
  • Mouse Sensitivity slider (My mouse is on it's lowest DPI (800-ish) and with the frames I'm getting I struggle moving the camera w/o doing a 180 by moving my mouse a mm)
  • Physic calculation slider/adjustable boing-boing (I think this is one of the key issues that make my GPU max at 100% and get less than 10 fps)
  • Adjustable view distance (not rendering everything at once will definitely help with processing and give more frames)
  • Actually adjust the texture quality (currently, the quality setting doesn't appear to do anything for me. I've got the game running on the lowest setting on 1280 x 720 and still can't break 10 fps(For reference I've played games at 15-20 fps and have been able to do fine... I have VERY low standards))
  • Toggle-able settings (i.e. Bloom, V-Sync, Anisotropic filtering, and other post-process things)
  • Frame limit (One thing I see with a lot of games is that unless you limit the frame-rate to a certain amount, you will not be able to run the game at a stable frame rate and often encounter things like stutters or an extremely low frame rate.)
As I said before, idk if these are taken into account or considered. I just figured I'd put out some ideas that would allow people to play the game with better frames at any pc/laptop level while being able to better customize their settings to match their build's abilities.

Otherwise, I'm encountering the same issue of being unable to do anything after the play fight with pounce, so a fix would be nice to see. And the only audio problem I'm experiencing is a brief silence before the track loops.

blood_rain

Jan 14, 2019
i finish sparring against pounce but when it comes to the sex i cant click on anything, theres no cursor on the screen, i move the mouse near the graph on the bottom right but it doesn't seem that im clicking it. none of the keys do anything besides esc, which doesn't let me click on any of the options there or to even quit the game.
so you end up stuck with pounch waving her butt at you and you can't do anything but close the game and start over with picking your gender

now, this game was running really slow and the sound was like an atari exploding so maybe its my pc that can't handle the scene?
I know there are some issues with the cursor getting lost that can sometimes be fixed by hitting escape twice to open the setting menu and close it again, so that might help. However, one or two other people have mentioned that not working, so there's some other cursor problem that I haven't found yet.

This is the first report that I've had about the audio being broken, but if your computer was really struggling with the game, it could probably interfere with the audio playback.
I found a work-around for pounce's sex scene after sparring. What I did is basically mash the esc key during the fade transition between the spar and the sex scene. If you do it right, you'll be able to see, and use, your mouse cursor during the scene.

Reactions: Luderos

Luderos

Game Developer
Jul 20, 2020
Before I say anything I understand this game is currently in version 0.2 and this is only a demo. I would just like to point out some ideas for improvement.

Quick recommendations for this game concerning fps optimizations (use them or not I don't care, I would just like to see this game as playable on extremely low-end PCs or laptops, while adding QoL things for everyone so that they may better enjoy it):
  • Mouse Sensitivity slider (My mouse is on it's lowest DPI (800-ish) and with the frames I'm getting I struggle moving the camera w/o doing a 180 by moving my mouse a mm)
  • Physic calculation slider/adjustable boing-boing (I think this is one of the key issues that make my GPU max at 100% and get less than 10 fps)
  • Adjustable view distance (not rendering everything at once will definitely help with processing and give more frames)
  • Actually adjust the texture quality (currently, the quality setting doesn't appear to do anything for me. I've got the game running on the lowest setting on 1280 x 720 and still can't break 10 fps(For reference I've played games at 15-20 fps and have been able to do fine... I have VERY low standards))
  • Toggle-able settings (i.e. Bloom, V-Sync, Anisotropic filtering, and other post-process things)
  • Frame limit (One thing I see with a lot of games is that unless you limit the frame-rate to a certain amount, you will not be able to run the game at a stable frame rate and often encounter things like stutters or an extremely low frame rate.)
As I said before, idk if these are taken into account or considered. I just figured I'd put out some ideas that would allow people to play the game with better frames at any pc/laptop level while being able to better customize their settings to match their build's abilities.

Otherwise, I'm encountering the same issue of being unable to do anything after the play fight with pounce, so a fix would be nice to see. And the only audio problem I'm experiencing is a brief silence before the track loops.
Thanks for the feedback! I definitely consider all of the comments I get, even though I know the changes seem slow to actually make it in game. I do hope to get the graphics settings and the general optimization improved a ton over the next few releases though.

blood_rain

Jan 14, 2019
Thanks for the feedback! I definitely consider all of the comments I get, even though I know the changes seem slow to actually make it in game. I do hope to get the graphics settings and the general optimization improved a ton over the next few releases though.
I understand the pain of programming, so I understand how things can be difficult to implement. And I love to try and provide constructive criticism and the like when I can.

Another thing I thought of after posting my original recommendation post is making the sex scene Speed and Depth control more user-friendly (i.e. an indicator showing the current speed and depth setting on the graph, presets, tutorial (I had slight confusion on how the modifier "graph" worked when I first saw it... especially when it came to how to set and keep the setting constant instead of only doing 1 animation loop or setting it permanently), etc.).

One final thing I just thought of would be to consider letting the save feature unlock at the beginning of the game. I encountered the pathing issue after Pounce's spar and sex sequence and couldn't save the game to attempt to restart the game.

Luderos

Game Developer
Jul 20, 2020
How to I save the game
At the moment, there's only one save point, after you're finished with Pounce.

I understand the pain of programming, so I understand how things can be difficult to implement. And I love to try and provide constructive criticism and the like when I can.

Another thing I thought of after posting my original recommendation post is making the sex scene Speed and Depth control more user-friendly (i.e. an indicator showing the current speed and depth setting on the graph, presets, tutorial (I had slight confusion on how the modifier "graph" worked when I first saw it... especially when it came to how to set and keep the setting constant instead of only doing 1 animation loop or setting it permanently), etc.).

One final thing I just thought of would be to consider letting the save feature unlock at the beginning of the game. I encountered the pathing issue after Pounce's spar and sex sequence and couldn't save the game to attempt to restart the game.
It could definitely use an interactive tutorial, and having an indicator of the current setting is a great idea! Not sure why I didn't do that really. When you say presets, are you imagining something that a setting on the grid wouldn't currently do, like patterns, fast/slow/fast or something? or just that something like "FAST+HARD" would be easier to understand?

The save in this version is really hacky and basically just lets you skip the intro+pounce if you restart the game once you're done with the Pounce scene. You shouldn't need to actively do anything to save (although you can reset your save from the main menu if you want to start over again).

So far there hasn't really been much to save, but in the update-after-next, I hope to have a good iteration on the vendor/inventory system in place, which will require an actual save system.

Reactions: blood_rain

blood_rain

Jan 14, 2019
At the moment, there's only one save point, after you're finished with Pounce.

It could definitely use an interactive tutorial, and having an indicator of the current setting is a great idea! Not sure why I didn't do that really. When you say presets, are you imagining something that a setting on the grid wouldn't currently do, like patterns, fast/slow/fast or something? or just that something like "FAST+HARD" would be easier to understand?

The save in this version is really hacky and basically just lets you skip the intro+pounce if you restart the game once you're done with the Pounce scene. You shouldn't need to actively do anything to save (although you can reset your save from the main menu if you want to start over again).

So far there hasn't really been much to save, but in the update-after-next, I hope to have a good iteration on the vendor/inventory system in place, which will require an actual save system.
I think both "fast + hard" and pattern presets would actually be good ideas. To avoid UI clutter you could try to make each "category" of presets into it's own separate drop-down menu or something similar. Keeping it simple and user-friendly while still allowing for customization through the speed and power gradient graph. I still have no idea how to call it, can you tell?

I'm super excited to see the progress you've made, hopefully it isn't really difficult for you to implement all of it.

I'm sorry about this, but I seem to remember something every time I reply. When you go through the introduction of the game with K, you'll gain her interest after talking. But if you skip the sequence, you don't gain her interest at all. I don't know if this is intended or not so I figured I'll point it out just incase.

Luderos

Game Developer
Jul 20, 2020
I think both "fast + hard" and pattern presets would actually be good ideas. To avoid UI clutter you could try to make each "category" of presets into it's own separate drop-down menu or something similar. Keeping it simple and user-friendly while still allowing for customization through the speed and power gradient graph. I still have no idea how to call it, can you tell?

I'm super excited to see the progress you've made, hopefully it isn't really difficult for you to implement all of it.

I'm sorry about this, but I seem to remember something every time I reply. When you go through the introduction of the game with K, you'll gain her interest after talking. But if you skip the sequence, you don't gain her interest at all. I don't know if this is intended or not so I figured I'll point it out just incase.
I'll have to put some thought into how the GUI would handle that, but I think they're good ideas. I had planned on having some 'techniques' unlock as a part of progression. Maybe the patterns would be good for that system so the complexity is increased gradually.

And it's a good point about the interest. That should get handled better once the upgraded save system is in. That should let everything from the intro get tracked properly without the ugly hacks. :)

blood_rain

Jan 14, 2019
I'll have to put some thought into how the GUI would handle that, but I think they're good ideas. I had planned on having some 'techniques' unlock as a part of progression. Maybe the patterns would be good for that system so the complexity is increased gradually.

And it's a good point about the interest. That should get handled better once the upgraded save system is in. That should let everything from the intro get tracked properly without the ugly hacks. :)
Sounds great! Again, I'm excited to see the new content you're going to add next (and what you will add after that too).

I saw the save.txt file too, and you were right. The only things that're saved are if you've completed the tutorial, Player Gender, and NPC Genders.

I swear this is the last thing I have for this build. I noticed that the dialogue options don't really affect what any of the NPCs say at all. Like you copy-and-pasted a single branch of a dialogue tree for each answer. If you would like, I can help you write dialogue. I won't ask for anything but understanding in any delays as I'm in college and how you want the NPCs to be like (their personalities basically). If you would like to take me up on my offer start a conversation with me on my profile and I'll get back to you ASAP.

Luderos

Game Developer
Jul 20, 2020
Sounds great! Again, I'm excited to see the new content you're going to add next (and what you will add after that too).

I saw the save.txt file too, and you were right. The only things that're saved are if you've completed the tutorial, Player Gender, and NPC Genders.

I swear this is the last thing I have for this build. I noticed that the dialogue options don't really affect what any of the NPCs say at all. Like you copy-and-pasted a single branch of a dialogue tree for each answer. If you would like, I can help you write dialogue. I won't ask for anything but understanding in any delays as I'm in college and how you want the NPCs to be like (their personalities basically). If you would like to take me up on my offer start a conversation with me on my profile and I'll get back to you ASAP.
The texts do vary a bit, though the variations may be too small to be obvious (so far it's been more about proving that the functionality works than going deeper into the content). The general idea was to add enough choices to (hopefully) make the dialogue feel conversational, but going too deep too often is limiting of course. To keep it reigned in, I tried to keep the dialogue following a central path with a few very short diversions that quickly feed back into the main path.

Here's an example:
1618439804422.png

Some of the variations are just for flavor, some result in a faction adjustment (which will be tracked and can affect later options/gameplay), and some result in different dialog paths. There are also a couple of variations based on whether or not the player is wearing clothes.

The early part of the game will essentially be a tutorial, walking the player through the different mechanics and world rules, so this is probably the model that I'll stick with until the basics are implemented. After that will come the real content creation where I can (again, hopefully hehe) indulge in some significant and meaningful branching based on choices/faction/etc.

Reactions: icollectsouls

blood_rain

Jan 14, 2019
The texts do vary a bit, though the variations may be too small to be obvious (so far it's been more about proving that the functionality works than going deeper into the content). The general idea was to add enough choices to (hopefully) make the dialogue feel conversational, but going too deep too often is limiting of course. To keep it reigned in, I tried to keep the dialogue following a central path with a few very short diversions that quickly feed back into the main path.

Here's an example:
View attachment 1142657

Some of the variations are just for flavor, some result in a faction adjustment (which will be tracked and can affect later options/gameplay), and some result in different dialog paths. There are also a couple of variations based on whether or not the player is wearing clothes.

The early part of the game will essentially be a tutorial, walking the player through the different mechanics and world rules, so this is probably the model that I'll stick with until the basics are implemented. After that will come the real content creation where I can (again, hopefully hehe) indulge in some significant and meaningful branching based on choices/faction/etc.
Yeah, currently it feels like the variations are too small to notice. But there are also a few times when the dialogue feels forced (i.e. when you first talk to pounce, after the last choice (I think), when no matter what you pick she will say one thing first and then possibly jump to something along the lines of "Farmer K usually leaves some tea in the barrel over behind you." The jump and change in convo makes it seem weird.) Ofc just a note for the future.

Also, I love how open you're being about development, how your code works, etc. It's not something you usually get to have when devs develop their games.

Luderos

Game Developer
Jul 20, 2020
Yeah, currently it feels like the variations are too small to notice. But there are also a few times when the dialogue feels forced (i.e. when you first talk to pounce, after the last choice (I think), when no matter what you pick she will say one thing first and then possibly jump to something along the lines of "Farmer K usually leaves some tea in the barrel over behind you." The jump and change in convo makes it seem weird.) Ofc just a note for the future.

Also, I love how open you're being about development, how your code works, etc. It's not something you usually get to have when devs develop their games.
Thanks, I'll give it a look. I need to go back through and smooth off the rough edges at some point.

And I'm happy whenever someone is interested enough in the game to want to chat about it :) I hate that 95% of my responses are something like "maybe eventually" lol, but I think the feedback and discussion does end up improving things.

Reactions: blood_rain

Choo-choo

Aug 8, 2017
Quick progress update! Things are slow but moving forward. Here's a quick clip of the ending of the new scene. It's multi-stage/AI-driven based on the mc's arousal and sensitivity meters. Still some work to go before it's published, but hopefully not too much longer!
Camera shake is bad idea

GoblinSpirit

Dec 31, 2019
The game looks cool, but it seems really bad optimized or is it my PC that is really bad, but i'm looking forward for future updates that solves it.

cooperdk

Engaged Member
Jul 23, 2017
Idea is ok.
Development time (time between updates), volume of content per update, plus quality is a major turn-off. This game might be finished at some point before the sun expands.

5.00 star(s) 1 Vote