Tremonia

Queen Lydia's bitch
Donor
Jun 14, 2020

Hello everyone, another week, another month and another exciting update! Okay, I'll stop, but I am pleased with this weeks update!
progress1.jpg
Originally I had intended only 2 animations for the Cindy scene - But I somehow snuck a third in there! These have now rendered for a total of 1600 frames. With that out of the way I can finish off that scene and start on the images for the Cindy/Cassie parts.

I'm currently writing the Melissa scenes, probably around 70% done and the Kimiko scenes is also very nearly done. I will probably pause some of the writing for a round of testing to make sure the scenes flow correctly with the many many variables we have affecting gameplay at this point.

Currently sat at just over 300 images created, but there's a long way to go yet. I'm aiming to have a big chunk, if not all, of the images created for the Cindy / Cassie scenes completed by next week.

Update 100?
I'm acutely aware that update 100 is fast approaching, and I'd like to arrange something to mark this event. I've a plan to 'update' an Image I created a few years ago. (hint: every supporter has seen this image!). I'm also going to couple this with a Q&A. I've done one of these previously a couple of years ago - but things with the game have moved on.

If you have a question about me, my work, the game, life in general - Put it down below in the comments, or send me a DM on discord. I'll add it to the list and will answer it in a video.

That's it for now, stay safe all.

Cenc

Reactions: Mikedazz1

Tremonia

Queen Lydia's bitch
Donor
Jun 14, 2020

Hello everyone,

Just a quick update this time, Unfortunately I've been wrestling with some PC problems - I believe they are now resolved.
Long story short, backups are important.

Our regularly scheduled service will be back next week!

Cenc

Tremonia

Queen Lydia's bitch
Donor
Jun 14, 2020

It's story time! So why not release a developer log? Sit back, grab a cuppa, it's a long one.

Last week I mentioned I had some unexpected issues that affected the progress of the game. I also mentioned that backups are important. Well here's some more information about that.

Firstly, some background. Much of my writing is done away from this computer (the one I'm using right now). This is my rendering and scene creation PC, as such It's used for everything. I do, as it happens own a laptop - this allows me to be able to write the scenes and even some script elements whilst I am elsewhere (for example, taking my daughter to her swimming lessons).

Pretty efficient, right? Well, normally yes. The issue with this is the script file tends to get split into multiple versions, since I don't just write one scene at a time - I tend to focus on multiple scenes, not including any edits I make to previous scenes, or hell, edits to previous updates!

You can imagine this starts to become a mess, especially If I have been somewhat prolific in the writing that week. However, WinMerge is your friend, you load in all the versions, compare them and copy the changes / differences over. Thus, all script files are updated.

This worked really well, until a couple of weeks ago when the script editor I use for Ren'Py (Atom) decided it could no longer read the script files.

"That's fine" I thought, I'll just grab the copy I have from the laptop. Except that didn't work either. I tried creating a new game, and confirming I was able to read those script files, I copied a couple of the script files from the DoR project over. They opened okay, but a lot of code, text was missing, or worse, different scenes had been cut into others. Almost as if someone had gone mad with the cut and paste tool.

Well, fuck.

I know, your all thinking, "surly you backup the game!" And the answer is yes, of course I do. And don't call me Shirly. Every Saturday the game, including all script files and images, video animations and music is backed up onto an external drive. At most, I would lose a week of progress.

All I needed to do was restore the last backup, manually copy over the recent additions I had done to the script and vow never to use WinMerge again. I did do this, eventually. And It's all worked okay, but, dear supporter this was coupled with a bigger and, dare I say, more catastrophic problem that, quite frankly, I was not prepared for.

I currently... no, I had around 1800 assets installed for Daz. I think it was probably close to 1900, but who's counting. For some still unknown reason, Daz decided that it did not want to play with the asset database anymore.

It would show the files, present me with the nice little images to click on, but when attempting to open the asset it would promptly shit the bed, throw some of that shit at the wall in some vague non-descript error and present me with my desktop.

kimiko_louise.jpg

Not that I'm complaining, That desktop image is a favourite of mine, but I'm sure after the tenth time of being dumped out of Daz, Louise and Kimiko were starting to judge me.

This should be simple, the asset files are still there all 400Gb of them. So just re-install Daz, problem solved.

Problem not solved. But I did get a nice new flavour of error message. I need not go into every detail of what I tried, but nothing could get Daz to look at that database properly, the closest I got was when I removed and reinstalled a couple of test assets - Which led me to believe a complete re-install of all the assets was required.

No. I do not have a backup for the asset database, I don't have the luxury of being able to upload 400Gb to a cloud somewhere (I think if I was to try my ISP would cry).

Both of these issues occurred around the same time, I don't think I can blame WinMerge for the Daz database, I'm unsure what happened, could be the drive itself.

Thankfully a lot of the assets have been purchased from Daz directly, so they can be installed easily enough. the issue is with the more 'adult' assets, they tend to come from other sites, and don't install automatically via Daz's install manager. This normally wouldn't be so much of a problem, I would just grab and install the assets as I load the scene as it tells you if any are missing.

That's fine for 1 or 2, but this entire update is ALL ADULT SCENES. So, I lost a lot of time - but on the plus side I believe I'm almost done, I'm currently sat at 1280 assets and haven't had any missing asset reports when loading scenes for a while now. I can't help shake the feeling that of those 600-ish that are missing they are ones I wanted to use in the future.

So, all's well that... nah fuck that. I'm pissed. But, It is working again. I am aware that using Git for the script files can help with version control, but I'm a single Dev working on an indie adult game. The time investment is not worth it. I do have a few ideas for version control going forwards and I won't be using WinMerge again.

As for the database, I'm adding a NAS to the Christmas list, It's not a perfect solution but If I get some backup software to go with it, after the initial backup, I'd only need to run incremental ones and these should be faster. Recovering using the NAS would have been quicker and certainly less stressful.

Well, that's it for this Log. Thanks for reading I'll see you next week.

Cenc

Tremonia

Queen Lydia's bitch
Donor
Jun 14, 2020

A very Cassie focused week! Lot's of progress made in the creation of the Cassie scenes, though there is still a ways to go before they are all done.

Currently paused the creation to allow my PC to catch up with some of the renders as I have also created 2 new animations and there may be a 3rd (I'm still debating this one in my head).

Progress sheet is below:
progress1.jpg

A lot of the writing has been completed, there are many sections that I do not show on that sheet for spoiler / space reasons - This update is currently sat at just shy of 3000 lines of code, this number will ~double when the images and transition lines are added in.

for context update 0.4.5 has 6196 lines of code in total. and I'm still not done as I need to write the Louise scenes, Danielle scenes and the many alternatives to both. So, lot's of work ahead of me, time to stop typing this and start typing that.

Update 100:
I plan to mark the milestone of 100 Dev updates for this project. I will be making a video and working on re-creating an old image, usi9ng the techniques I have learnt since I first made it almost 4 years ago!

Part of this will be answering any of your questions, to do that (answer questions) I need you to send me some. It can be about Daz, Renpy, the game, Me even about the new game to come after Dreams of Reality.

You can post them here, or send me a PM or DM on discord. I'll be doing a reminder on discord closer to the time when I will be recording the video.

Kimiko, Innocent or not?
I'll be putting up a supporter only poll for you to choose an outfit that Kimiko will be wearing for her... 'night'. This will be used inside of the game. For those on a higher supporter tier you will also be able to choose the outfit she will wear after her evening with the MC. Both of these polls will be posted during the comming week.

Kimiko_thighhighs.jpg

This image could be a reality, if you so choose...

For now, that's it. Stay safe all.

Cenc

Cenc

Game Developer
Jun 22, 2019
Well, that outfit doesn't say, "I see you as a father figure." And please, do not do the "daddy" thing. Gross!
But Damn! How is he supposed to stay faithful to his beautiful wife with that?!
Haha! I'm still working on the selection of outfits she could wear, though there are several routes with Kimiko, from the 'protector' to the 'corruptor' each needs to be reflected in the outfit she chooses :p

Any 'daddy' role play will always be optional.

cxx

Message Maestro
Nov 14, 2017
Well, that outfit doesn't say, "I see you as a father figure." And please, do not do the "daddy" thing. Gross!
But Damn! How is he supposed to stay faithful to his beautiful wife with that?!
d'oh, wife joins the party.

• Red Heart
Reactions: Nurikabe

Tremonia

Queen Lydia's bitch
Donor
Jun 14, 2020

Just a quick update as I am on holiday. Normal updates will start again next week. For now, I've finally got around to editing and uploading the second part to the Mystery of Grimhurst Lodge mansion.

Details about the poll results will be in next weeks update.

Cenc

Tremonia

Queen Lydia's bitch
Donor
Jun 14, 2020

Well, we made it to 100. Arguably update 100 was several weeks ago, since some of those early posts could be classed as updates, however I digress.

Update 100 is here and I've a lot of info to share with you all.

Holiday:
In last weeks post I stated that I was on holiday. So, nothing much was done over last week - of course the British summer being what it is (rain, wind, disappointment) I ended up working on an animation anyway!

Progress report:
Updated progress sheet is below, there are 2 animations sitting in the render queue which will be done over the comming week. I also plan to finish off the remaining scenes for "Melissa 1". Currently I have no further plans for any more animations in her scenes, but that may change.

progress1.jpg

I've also made a couple of tentative steps in creating scenes for the 'peepo' and 'bonus' section - the bonus is for $20+ supporters, anyone that has previously supported at or above this level after the first part of chapter four released will have access to this bonus content in the game. (Anyone who subbed but doesn't have the codes can message me and I will provide them).

I have also completed the writing for the Jacob scenes, though they need a heavy edit pass before I am happy with them.

For the comming week I want to get some of the music and sound effects in place, as well as complete rendering the Melissa scenes.

Polls, Polls and more Polls:
Firstly the results of the Kimiko 'Morning' outfit, there was a clear winner, but I did promise to throw the top 2 out to a public vote which I will be doing so in the forthcoming week.

Kimiko's 'evening' outfit also had a clear winner, and this will be seen in game - Thank you to those that voted, you made the right choice ^^.

And finally the public vote for her hair. Split even at 50% for each option. Honestly I'm not sure how to interpret this. I was under the impression the original style would be more popular as that is the hair she had to begin with.

In an ideal world I would use both versions and give players a choice in game. But, of course, this doubles the amount of renders I would need to do for her scenes, on top of an already bloated amount of alternative images needed for every choice I have in the game currently.

Honestly, I'd love to do this, this kind of dynamism within the game is something I relish - but unfortunately it would add so much additional development time it's just not workable.

I decided to leave the casting vote to Elfthryth, as the editor of Dreams of Reality I feel she has as much right as anyone in how this story is shaped. She doesn't have a patreon account so did not vote already, thus she is perfect to break the dead-lock.

I won't spoil what she chose, It can be a nice Easter egg for you all to discover in game.

Patreon Updates:
I've been looking at the frequency that I update Patreon, currently I aim for an update of some kind every week, the development updates alternate between supporters only and public ones. the supporters only tends to be a little more in-depth than the public ones for obvious reasons. (todays post is a good example).

Interspersed with these would be the occasional deep-dive or development log where I go into more detail about something - these are intended for those who like to see the nitty-gritty of development, at least from my point of view.

However, as time has moved on, writing updates each week other than "I did more renders" is, well, repetitive and honestly, not much fun for all of you reading. So, with that in mind I'm going to be adjusting the update schedule to the below:

• There will be two development updates each month
  • The development updates will be separated by two weeks
  • One update will be supporter only, the other public
  • I will post 1 set of images each month taken directly from the game as teasers
  • Each month there will be 1 longform post with a detailed look at either a character or event from Dreams of Reality, A development log or perhaps a look at The Mystery of Grimhurst Lodge.
  • Polls and any exciting news I may have will continue to be posted randomly
That may not sound much different from what I do now, but this should allow me more time to focus on good content for you to read, as well as helping me focus on the development of DoR, rather than what the next patron update should be.

100... so that video?
I've started working on it, Depending on how I feel I might get some time to continue this next week, but it's comming! No Q&A as there are not enough questions to fill out a full video - I'm considering adding a bit of VO to the video as editing together the text on screen on the previous video (lets render 11, part 2) took a silly amount of time.

That's all for this week, If you've made it this far then perhaps you need a reward... A sneaky peak at an image from the game?

denoised_ch48_melissa_11.jpg

Stay safe all,

Cenc

Joshy92

Devoted Member
Mar 25, 2021
I'm happy to see I'm not the only massive Louise fan.
She will get nothing but love & Kindness from me

Same goes for Kimiko.
she is really sweet.

I will eventually do saves for the other girls but that won't be for a long time

Tremonia

Queen Lydia's bitch
Donor
Jun 14, 2020

Time for a public update on the next release of Dreams of Reality. Here's the update progress spreadsheet:

progress1.jpg

Most progress has been made with the Melissa scenes, in fact they have all now been created and are just sat in the render queue. In total there are five animations, two I've still got to render out over the next couple of days.

Unfortunately, due to a lighting issue I had to redo three of the animations, which put me back as I wanted to have more progress done on the next scenes, but such is the life of development.

All the results of the various polls are now in, and these will be reflected in game.

The next couple of weeks I will be working on the peepo and Cassie scenes.

Stay safe all,

Cenc

Joshy92

Devoted Member
Mar 25, 2021
I'm surprised this thread isn't more active
This is a mature story driven game. There are not a whole lot of those on here
In fact, the story is one of the things I love about this game the most

cxx

Message Maestro
Nov 14, 2017
I'm surprised this thread isn't more active
This is a mature story driven game. There are not a whole lot of those on here
In fact, the story is one of the things I love about this game the most
lacks specific tags which attract crowds, same thing with similar games.

Reactions: Joshy92
4.00 star(s) 27 Votes