VN Ren'Py Dual Family [v1.22.1ce] [Gumdrop Games]

2.10 star(s) 189 Votes

Macinnes

Feb 19, 2020
Why this game Abandoned i see dev still post at patreon
Gumdrop went on an extended rant on his Discord after several Patrons demanded answers. He basically said he's sick of this game and the demands for the Chapter 10 update that would close out season 1. The game is dead my friend. He pissed off A LOT of people that day and even before that. Only the foolish continue their patronage. I got suckered into buying the game on Steam before I knew any of this.

fotogaik

May 13, 2017
Gumdrop went on an extended rant on his Discord after several Patrons demanded answers. He basically said he's sick of this game and the demands for the Chapter 10 update that would close out season 1. The game is dead my friend. He pissed off A LOT of people that day and even before that. Only the foolish continue their patronage. I got suckered into buying the game on Steam before I knew any of this.
When did that happen? Because graphtreon shows that he didn't have any huge drop in patron numbers recently, other than 1st of the month, which is expected:

If all it took was to demand answers, people should have badgered him two years ago. At least he wouldn't get away with all the free money he made over the last two years.

I wonder if this example will be cited as some future textbook warning of how not to run your Patreon campaign.

fotogaik

May 13, 2017
He's still posting content on Patreon. Another re-cropped "pinup pack" two days ago and some update.

I just wonder what the exact wording on Discord was. I doubt he would say he's sick of the game, since that would alert all people following his channel that he doesn't want to finish the game*.
I can perfectly understand being sick of having to do work on the game and of getting constantly pestered about part 10, but it totally serves him right, if he wasn't sick of getting free money for no work.

*) I get that a lot of people are emotionally attached to this title and would be devastated if Gumdrop never releases it in full. I can also understand their motivations. I started following this thread maybe a year ago, and what Kyle posted in his updates is both totally believable and actually relatable. A lot of people will happily believe his sincerity and will never question his motivations, even though they totally should.
By that I mean that IF Gumdrop was telling the truth (which I'm NOT saying he has), then yeah, hard luck, dude, you really got screwed, here, take all this money and wipe your tears with it, you really deserve it.
And if he was lying (what do you mean 'if', of course he was, amirite?), then it's a scam.
Looking back, you could never deduce from his tone if he's lying or not and all his excuses are plausible (if you stretch the definition of plausible), to the point of plausible deniability, so he's covered even from a legal perspective.
My point is, if now he admitted that he abandoned the game and lied in bad faith all that time, he just opened himself up to litigation and that might be a huge change in how he and other game developers will operate in the future.

Silk_Ari

Game Developer
Dec 21, 2017
I don't know if scamming is the actual word to use. I just think his patrons are "misguided" (if not to say crazy/insane/etc.)... I do think he has every intention of releasing the game SOME day, but he's really taking advantage of his patrons willingness to throw money at him while he sits back complacently just collecting the money. In other words he's stretching out the gravy train to the maximum. Is it bad faith? Yes it is. Is it a scam? I'm not convinced. Are his patrons at fault for accepting his bad faith/lack of fulfillment? 100%.

My point is you can kinda forgive a patron for supporting him after he failed to deliever once...but after 3 times? Lets ask George Bush.... There's an old saying....fool me once....shame on you....fool me... ummmm.... the point is you cant fool me all the time.

Mar 22, 2018
I don't know if scamming is the actual word to use. I just think his patrons are "misguided" (if not to say crazy/insane/etc.)... I do think he has every intention of releasing the game SOME day, but he's really taking advantage of his patrons willingness to throw money at him while he sits back complacently just collecting the money. In other words he's stretching out the gravy train to the maximum. Is it bad faith? Yes it is. Is it a scam? I'm not convinced. Are his patrons at fault for accepting his bad faith/lack of fulfillment? 100%.

My point is you can kinda forgive a patron for supporting him after he failed to deliever once...but after 3 times? Lets ask George Bush.... There's an old saying....fool me once....shame on you....fool me... ummmm.... the point is you cant fool me all the time.
That's the step we shouldn't take about this project. He's laundering money and ... of course we DON'T CARE... the only thing that we should know and care about is art. But the dev dont want to work or something is making him delaying this project... okay delay how many times he need it... so i agree , we should close this thread since we dont have any art further more what the people are doing with their money is not my concern and concern of anyone but seeing this for open public in patreon is to calling everyone a fool. And this is really the wrong message that this project is passing to us and shouldn't pass. Enough of memes about it.

lostraven

Engaged Member
Donor
Game Developer
Apr 27, 2017
Post the rant here if you can find it, always enjoy my meme-tacular reads.

Reactions: qsad and Hadgar
Mar 22, 2018
He give up? Where did you read this?

Reactions: qsad

MurkyTurtle

Jul 28, 2017
I don't get it. He's got enough word-vomit in his skull to fill three scheduled preview posts a week but he can't manage to fart out a game update in two and a half years even with an account full of cash and a team full of rendering support? Was he asleep during the Scamming 101 lecture where they told you that you're not supposed to work harder at running the con than you would if you just actually delivered the product you're pretending to make?

It's like the adult game dev version of the If he put this much effort into the game we'd be halfway through Chapter III by now :unsure:

2.10 star(s) 189 Votes