3.30 star(s) 25 Votes

Invader Incubus

Game Developer
Nov 20, 2023
I don't remember last time when I was this excited anticipating an update for a game.
It's just a new level, although it comes with two new mechanics I can deploy. You are aware that QUESTS aren't finally coming until next month right? A bunch of crap is just finishing simultaneously and I got lotsa time off.
Adding shortcuts and wandering monsters to the other levels will make them much more interesting. Hopefully I won't get anymore 'sprinting is a half baked mechanic' comments.
I am also completely undecided on how hard Vedabug should be to escape. This isn't AITHON (fire horse) chasing you down on the open plains after all.
Also I did a gj on the Ballosaur X anim, ngl. No idea where this unvoted monster came from, just fell out of my head but is now one of my favorites.

Mister Wake

Jan 6, 2019
It's just a new level, although it comes with two new mechanics I can deploy. You are aware that QUESTS aren't finally coming until next month right? A bunch of crap is just finishing simultaneously and I got lotsa time off.
We are allowed to be excited for your work, however meager you think it is! :p

I was really happy last time I played to just come across that farm in the desert. It felt special, like I found something hidden, because it was unannounced (to my knowledge) and wasn't there the previous time I played. It felt like I was witnessing a world being made slowly around me, which is a feeling rarely felt in video games, even if a pokemon-like rapey taming game. I'm personally excited to test out these chases!

YouShallNotLol

May 6, 2022
I am also completely undecided on how hard Vedabug should be to escape. This isn't AITHON (fire horse) chasing you down on the open plains after all.
One thing I know for sure - they need to be slower than player running speed, especially because the stamina bar depletes so damn fast.

Invader Incubus

Game Developer
Nov 20, 2023
One thing I know for sure - they need to be slower than player running speed, especially because the stamina bar depletes so damn fast.
Right well lets start that argument now then.

SEPTEMBER 16th UPDATE
NewDFUpdate.png
If you go into the woods today, you’re in for a big surprise! (Specifically the dark woods which is the area left/west of Rosedew)
REFRESH: Dark Forest first pass has been completed. I will be doing ANOTHER pass over it this month.

ADDED: Eleceel and her unevolved form, Fizzslug. She won the popular vote by a wide margin, so I finished her up and added her quickly! Shes in the Dark Forest for now.

ADDED: Ballosaur, and her unevolved form Dinoball. She is the second mind type monster for the game and a dev undemocratic original! Dinoball can be caught in the Dark Forest.

ADDED OVERWORLD MONSTER: Vedabug, wanders the maze in the dark forest, ready to chase down her victims, and breed them in battle. In fact, this is the only way to fight Vedabug right now, as the Dark Forest random encounter list is overpopulated with Ballosaur and Eleceel. Going forward, all new areas will have at least one wandering monster type that will chase the player and initiate battle. As this doesn’t count as a random battle, REPEL doesn’t prevent these fights. Good thing you have a sprint button. Because your solo dev is an idiot and couldn't get steering to work in time, the monsters aren’t wandering, or colliding with trees, instead they have a simple A.I. and function more like little MINES, for now...

ADDED BUZZBOT: The first overworld mechanic to unlock a shortcut adds a little robot you can activate to cut down some trees! This can help the player avoid doing difficult areas (like the maze) more than twice a playthrough.

Alter: Filled out some stable resident options you might have noticed, you cannot tab to those windows yet. Consider them spoilers for upcoming content.

I'll admit now on the forums that I fucked up and wanted the chasing monsters to properly STEER around obstacles to pursue the player but this is way harder to get working than I thought so reverted my work to a simple navigation system for now. It still works, since Vedabug has wings, and the maze is an obstacle FOR THE PLAYER, but I want to get the steering behavior in for other monsters going forward.

YouShallNotLol

May 6, 2022
Right well lets start that argument now then.

SEPTEMBER 16th UPDATE
View attachment 4041321
If you go into the woods today, you’re in for a big surprise! (Specifically the dark woods which is the area left/west of Rosedew)
REFRESH: Dark Forest first pass has been completed. I will be doing ANOTHER pass over it this month.

ADDED: Eleceel and her unevolved form, Fizzslug. She won the popular vote by a wide margin, so I finished her up and added her quickly! Shes in the Dark Forest for now.

ADDED: Ballosaur, and her unevolved form Dinoball. She is the second mind type monster for the game and a dev undemocratic original! Dinoball can be caught in the Dark Forest.

ADDED OVERWORLD MONSTER: Vedabug, wanders the maze in the dark forest, ready to chase down her victims, and breed them in battle. In fact, this is the only way to fight Vedabug right now, as the Dark Forest random encounter list is overpopulated with Ballosaur and Eleceel. Going forward, all new areas will have at least one wandering monster type that will chase the player and initiate battle. As this doesn’t count as a random battle, REPEL doesn’t prevent these fights. Good thing you have a sprint button. Because your solo dev is an idiot and couldn't get steering to work in time, the monsters aren’t wandering, or colliding with trees, instead they have a simple A.I. and function more like little MINES, for now...

ADDED BUZZBOT: The first overworld mechanic to unlock a shortcut adds a little robot you can activate to cut down some trees! This can help the player avoid doing difficult areas (like the maze) more than twice a playthrough.

Alter: Filled out some stable resident options you might have noticed, you cannot tab to those windows yet. Consider them spoilers for upcoming content.

I'll admit now on the forums that I fucked up and wanted the chasing monsters to properly STEER around obstacles to pursue the player but this is way harder to get working than I thought so reverted my work to a simple navigation system for now. It still works, since Vedabug has wings, and the maze is an obstacle FOR THE PLAYER, but I want to get the steering behavior in for other monsters going forward.
Ok, so I haven't caught the new mons yet, but have some feedback already.
Veedabug speed is slow enough to not be annoying. That's good.
But the maze is impossible to complete because:
Unpassable.png
It's actually impossible to go through there. The tree hitboxes block the path comletely.

Invader Incubus

Game Developer
Nov 20, 2023
Ok, so I haven't caught the new mons yet, but have some feedback already.
Veedabug speed is slow enough to not be annoying. That's good.
But the maze is impossible to complete because:
View attachment 4041415
It's actually impossible to go through there. The tree hitboxes block the path comletely.
Thats totally unintended. I had to redo most of the tile collisions because GODOT updated to a new tile system in 4.3.
Is there not some grass you can walk through right there?
ALSO: FIXED.

Also here's a new LINUX release:

Last edited:

sssdazs

Aug 21, 2018
Sorry could be missing something but which link has the new build on it, checked the mega as well as other links, only had the Aug 19th version

YouShallNotLol

May 6, 2022
Thats totally unintended. Also, is there not some grass you can walk through right there?
Oh, didn't notice that. My bad. Also I found a bug probably?
Dinoball's type seems to change to whatever type the lates mon you interacted with was. I went into details page of electric type and it became electric, then I went into details page of Fire type and it became fire.
Dinoball 2.png Dinoball.png

Reactions: Invader Incubus

Invader Incubus

Game Developer
Nov 20, 2023
Oh, didn't notice that. My bad. Also I found a bug probably?
Dinoball's type seems to change to whatever type the lates mon you interacted with was. I went into details page of electric type and it became electric, then I went into details page of Fire type and it became fire.
View attachment 4041441 View attachment 4041432
Looks like the DETAILS page that people mostly ignore didn't have the updated nomenclature. A while back I changed "Psychic" -> "Mind" and "Spirit" -> "Ghost".
Also: Fixed.

YouShallNotLol

May 6, 2022
Looks like the DETAILS page that people mostly ignore didn't have the updated nomenclature. A while back I changed "Psychic" -> "Mind" and "Spirit" -> "Ghost".
Oh, also, Dinoball won't accept the Psychic evolution stone. And the details page bug happens with its evolved form too.
RNG is unfavourable to me so I can't get the Spark evolution stone, but neither Fizzslug nor Eleceel seem to be affected by any bugs.
Edit: I've went through that patch of grass, buzzbot succesfully unlocks the shortcut.

Last edited:
Reactions: Invader Incubus

Invader Incubus

Game Developer
Nov 20, 2023
Oh, also, Dinoball won't accept the Psychic evolution stone. And the details page bug happens with its evolved form too.
RNG is unfavourable to me so I can't get the Spark evolution stone, but neither Fizzslug nor Eleceel seem to be affected by any bugs.
Edit: I've went through that patch of grass, buzzbot succesfully unlocks the shortcut.
I believe I have fixed this. Also you now START with a Dinoball, who has her updated sprite.
There was a bug in the MIND evolution stone. Was Kitsii not able to evolve all this time? This should be NEARLY the end of all this TYPE nonsense since I might have a few bugs left with the GHOST type which is coming, obviously.
I need to get these world monsters steering, AND THEN get the games first quest dunzo.

Also; THANK YOU YouShallNotLol, I really appreciate the help.

Last edited:

YouShallNotLol

May 6, 2022
I believe I have fixed this. Also you now START with a Dinoball, who has her updated sprite.
There was a bug in the MIND evolution stone. Was Kitsii not able to evolve all this time? This should be NEARLY the end of all this TYPE nonsense since I might have a few bugs left with the GHOST type which is coming, obviously.
I need to get these world monsters steering, AND THEN get the games first quest dunzo.
Detail page is fixed, it doesn't change anymore. I got lucky and got both Spark and Mind stones fast, and evolved Fizzslug and Dinoball without problems.
I honestly didn't think to try evolving Kitsii before you mentioned it.

Also; THANK YOU YouShallNotLol, I really appreciate the help.
I actually want to thank YOU for being responsive and fixing the bugs so fast, instead of making everyone wait for the next update like many other devs do.

Trilluminati

Mar 25, 2024
I just finished exploring the new map and capturing the new monsters.

I must say that I really like the new Dark Forest, it's not too big or too small, the vedabugs chasing you around like I said aren't fast enough to be annoying and they caught me by surprise a few times which was fun.

I love the new monsters and I really like their descriptions on the details page. One of my favorite parts of this game is reading the monster descriptions and Eleceel and Ballosaur's descriptions definitely made me love them a lot. (Seriously an armless monster that's essentially a chronic hugger and a carefree idiot in tune with the universe instantly became my favorites) Plus dinoball's description made me see him and Ballosaur as the monsters of bimbofication and no one is going to change my mind.

But anyway I think I found 3 bugs.
The first one was that while a Vedabug was chasing me, an encounter started because I was going through the grass and before I could do anything in that fight, it took me out and put me in the Vedabug fight. I don't think that's supposed to be like that, but I'm not sure, so I'll leave it there.

The next one is pretty simple, in the encounters with Vedabug, its name doesn't appear. Captura de pantalla 2024-09-16 195642.png

and the last one is this, Vedabug appeared in Rosedew Meadow after I left the base:
Captura de pantalla 2024-09-16 194426.png
I'm not sure what caused it, I was looking for the new eggomons and throwing my scouts at them to have them in the stables and after getting Eleceel and Ballosaur, plus a Vedabug that I wanted to read its description because I think I never read it (Damn its description is dark I didn't expect it) I selected my last scout that I had left, I went into the base and took out the new monsters and when I left there it was, I don't even know if it was the Vedabug's fault that I caught because it was the first one I caught.

Overall excellent update I look forward to the next one, keep up the good work and thank you very much.

3.30 star(s) 25 Votes