Collection HTML Ren'Py Completed Elsaverse Omnibus [Vol 1] [Tora Productions]

5.00 star(s) 9 Votes

ektah316

Mar 18, 2018
Yes, it worked. Turns out i was so focused on the interrogation i did care enough about the (much simpler) map.

So, thank you, Lady Tlareo. And thanks again to you and Mortze for the games. i genuinely love them. Did them all several times.

Ektah

Reactions: Tlaero

ZenGarden

Oct 1, 2017
Thank you for playing, folks!

Tlaero
OMG this is awesome.

Thanks for the stroll down memory (or, at my age, amnesia?) lane. Every game here deserves (at least) one more playthrough.

Long live Tlaera! (can't "@" the original name).

abc123xyz

Jul 7, 2019
Thank you Tlaero and Mortze. There's still nothing better than these stories on this entire website.

Brocho

Aug 15, 2017
I love all the effort you've put into these conversions and the omnibus. I love playing through these games, but sometimes playing through multiple times to see everything can get slightly repetitive, and this format makes it so easy to speed through the stuff you've seen, but not accidentally miss something new. The way you've listed the games is great too, so we can see exactly where all the stories fit in to the main series if we want to play everything in order.

Reactions: Tlaero

Princess Groundhog

Nov 5, 2018
This is a great collection, and I'm surprised it's a pretty small size file. I was wondering, would it be possible to add the text stories into the Renpy interface itself? Like just simple pages I guess?

Tlaero

Game Developer
Nov 24, 2018
Renpy is really not set up for large amounts of text. You can see that in Multiplicity. Not only do I need to manually set the page breaks, but it doesn't let you, the player, choose your column width. I found that the experience was bad enough that it just made more sense to call out to html, where reading large amounts of text is commonplace.

As for the size of the file, that's because I compress the images. The compression level I use is largely unnoticeable to the human eye, but makes the images 10 times smaller. Pretty much every game you play is forcing you to store 10x more space for no benefit.

Tlaero

PederSilver5

Aug 18, 2020
This is just a REQ+ post, it has to be looked at by a mod or uploader
who has to actually do the Original Post in the Games section,
at which point they will take ownership as they make the game thread,
after which,
you can open a ticket and petition them to give you ownership of said game thread.
Joke: Tell her to drop and give you twenty.... *wink nod*

Brocho

Aug 15, 2017
The more I play these games, the more I appreciate RfJ in particular as the absolute masterpiece it is. Originally I didn't like it as much as some of the others, and I find it difficult to remember why. When it gets to the part where Marc asks Jess to play a song for him, I get emotional just remembering that scene from playing it before. The other games have emotional moments like that too, and I remember another one from AAA which also involved Jessika, but nothing quite at that level.

Tlaero

Game Developer
Nov 24, 2018
That scene and the one at the end on the podium practically bring me to tears to this day. Now, you might say, "Really? You get emotional with things you wrote?" But, yeah. In general, I write the kinds of things that I want to read, so of course I enjoy my own stories.

I'll bet the part in AAA that you're thinking about was the one where we saw Jess play that song for Sarah and Amanda for the first time.

Tlaero

Reactions: Brocho and syh653

Brocho

Aug 15, 2017
I haven't read AAA for a while, but I remember it being a flashback involving Jess. I'll get back there eventually on this playthrough.

TimoF965

Nov 26, 2020
But, yeah. In general, I write the kinds of things that I want to read, so of course I enjoy my own stories.
Really, that is part of why I am not keen to write myself (except from "no talent", "not time" and so on ;) ) . I don't like trailers or even real spoilers :D . So playing a game of wich I do not only know the ending, but almost every line by heart and every gear in it's mechanic, sounds rather unsatisfying to me.
Nice to hear you really enjoy it and get as much into your world as we players do.

Tlaero

Game Developer
Nov 24, 2018
Since I've been doing this for such a long time, it's often years and years between me playing my own games. With enough time passed, I somewhat forget enough to be able to enjoy them. :)

When I was testing the Anniversary edition of Getting to Know Christine, I actually failed on my first playthrough. Damn, I used to make games that were obnoxiously hard...

Tlaero

Reactions: gerardthooft

TimoF965

Nov 26, 2020
Hehe, ok, that is something I never thought about it. I should write my own fantasy, but it in a locker and forget about it for 5 years :D .

Oh, ok, the difficulty really does matter? I had chosen hard difficulty, but now, I think I am going with medium for the beginning :D . Interesting to have a Visual Novel where you really can fail.

moskyx

Engaged Member
Jun 17, 2019
Hehe, ok, that is something I never thought about it. I should write my own fantasy, but it in a locker and forget about it for 5 years :D .

Oh, ok, the difficulty really does matter? I had chosen hard difficulty, but now, I think I am going with medium for the beginning :D . Interesting to have a Visual Novel where you really can fail.
In Dreaming with Elsa (I think it's the only one with a difficulty setting) playing on Easy or Medium mean easier checks at key moments (so it's harder to be dumped by Elsa) but you can't reach the true endgame.

Tlaero

Game Developer
Nov 24, 2018
The intent for the easy/medium/hard was to let people who had never played a game like this to experiment and figure it out. Many people who are new to the genre failed early on in Hard, and I wanted to give them a less frustrating experience. But, as moskys said, you can't get all the way to the end on easy or medium.

In renpy, the Hard setting is easier than it was in HTML. I considered removing Easy and Medium when I converted it, but ultimately left them in to minimize the changes from the original.

Tlaero

Brocho

Aug 15, 2017
When you get used to the more recent games, it's very jarring going back to a game which is so much more difficult to complete. I remember now why I had to use a walkthrough for most of them back in the day, and I think it's only because of my memory that I was able to get through without one this time, although some parts took a lot of attempts. I guess there's a balance between whether you want to tell a compelling story, which is a lot easier to take in when the game is fairly easy to play, or whether you want it to feel like a challenging game. I think the latter worked fine in the Keeleyverse, but having an Elsaverse game which is too hard to complete without several attempts would interrupt the story too much and not feel as compelling.

link2000

Apr 29, 2017
This is amazing! Really looking forward to playing these again!
Is there a way I can play these on my Android Phone?

5.00 star(s) 9 Votes