VN Ren'Py Abandoned Emperors Contract [v0.1] [Vingvis]

3.00 star(s) 3 Votes

RunicRaven

Jul 26, 2017
I understand most points of view here. Though, not the dev's. However, I am hoping this thread will end up locked so that it doesn't become a place to shit on would-be-devs like this one was. I have the feelings that a lot of people are going to be commenting about what happened. I hope that I don't come off as rude, it is not my intention. This is just my worry.

TarAlcarin

Mar 21, 2018
First off, it's good to see that both Melolibya and dirtyoldmanlol are looking forward to more releases of this game. I agree that it looks really good. However, it seems a very weird way to go about it.

i know and even if you said you don't like it Dev should look at it as

constructive criticism to Improve the game, see the players feedback i really hope he's just joking and keep working on the game cuz as i said its weird funny game and its nice to see these kind of games , dev if you are reading this please to make the game !!!
I tend to get rather pissed at people who don't think their words have consequences. (Referring in this instance to dirtyoldmanlol's first post here.) Trying to shift the blame to the one who is hurt (i.e. Melolibyas response saying "the dev should read this as constructive criticism") is even less empathetic.

To my mind, constructive criticism should be exactly that, constructive and helpful.
I fail to see how the following contains any sort of constructive criticism:

WHAT THE FUCK DID I JUST READ? That was just so, so, so bad. It's funny but I like the really good games and the really bad games and this one is really bad, but I like it. I can't explain why, but I do and I'll continue to download it until it eventually get's abandoned. None of this game makes any sense at all and ironically I can't wait to see what happens next LOL
There's no mention of exactly how the game is bad, so there's nothing specific for the developer to start working on, just the entire game. Thus, ditching the game completely is the correct response to this post. You mention that you can't wait to see what happens next, but what good does that do when you've made it absolutely clear that the game sucks?

I'd give three pointers on how to improve this in order of helpfulness:
  1. Engage in a dialogue. You're trying to help someone do better and that doesn't work as a monologue. Get them on your side by showing them that you recognize what they've done well. E.g. the graphics are excellent and the setting is interesting.
  2. Be specific. Don't just say that the game is bad. Say in what way it is bad. E.g. the plot makes no sense.
  3. Be descriptive. E.g. don't just say that the dialogue is nonsensical, tell them how they may improve it. Maybe they're an ESL? Suggest that they get help with translation.
Don't get me wrong; It's absolutely valid to critique games. People should feel free to share their opinions, but for goodness sake, try to keep in mind how you phrase your responses. If you are harsh and mean to be harsh, then don't be surprised when the target reacts poorly to that.

Frankly, I don't expect anyone to actually take this to heart. I'm just sick and tired of people being bullied away from the things they try to accomplish. In fact, I'm fairly certain you'll just dismiss me as an SJW or call me butthurt on someone else's behalf. Consider this my attempt at detoxifying the internet one tiny bit.

DarknessDai

Mar 23, 2019
First off, it's good to see that both Melolibya and dirtyoldmanlol are looking forward to more releases of this game. I agree that it looks really good. However, it seems a very weird way to go about it.

I tend to get rather pissed at people who don't think their words have consequences. (Referring in this instance to dirtyoldmanlol's first post here.) Trying to shift the blame to the one who is hurt (i.e. Melolibyas response saying "the dev should read this as constructive criticism") is even less empathetic.

To my mind, constructive criticism should be exactly that, constructive and helpful.
I fail to see how the following contains any sort of constructive criticism:

There's no mention of exactly how the game is bad, so there's nothing specific for the developer to start working on, just the entire game. Thus, ditching the game completely is the correct response to this post. You mention that you can't wait to see what happens next, but what good does that do when you've made it absolutely clear that the game sucks?

I'd give three pointers on how to improve this in order of helpfulness:
  1. Engage in a dialogue. You're trying to help someone do better and that doesn't work as a monologue. Get them on your side by showing them that you recognize what they've done well. E.g. the graphics are excellent and the setting is interesting.
  2. Be specific. Don't just say that the game is bad. Say in what way it is bad. E.g. the plot makes no sense.
  3. Be descriptive. E.g. don't just say that the dialogue is nonsensical, tell them how they may improve it. Maybe they're an ESL? Suggest that they get help with translation.
Don't get me wrong; It's absolutely valid to critique games. People should feel free to share their opinions, but for goodness sake, try to keep in mind how you phrase your responses. If you are harsh and mean to be harsh, then don't be surprised when the target reacts poorly to that.

Frankly, I don't expect anyone to actually take this to heart. I'm just sick and tired of people being bullied away from the things they try to accomplish. In fact, I'm fairly certain you'll just dismiss me as an SJW or call me butthurt on someone else's behalf. Consider this my attempt at detoxifying the internet one tiny bit.
true words really and i really did miss saying he should look at it as constructive criticism if the Dev found any of my posts hurt him in any way i'm really sorry and ur point is right
TarAlcarin

Reactions: TarAlcarin

Mystic

Elleria - Developer
Donor
Game Developer
Nov 24, 2019
Vingvis

I randomly bumped into this topic, but when I've read the stuff I just had to comment. Listen up mate.

First of all and if not most important...a golden rule. Ignore little SHITS, period. First of all if this was so easy, everyone would do it. Those who do not appreciate the work and effort we put into creating something can go fuck themselves. That's my attitude towards what I do.

I listen to feedback a lot, I do my best to talk to people who play my stuff and do best I can to please them. But pleasing EVERYONE is IMPOSSIBLE.

Do what you do, do what you love to do. That's all that's important. I've postponed one of my projects due to me feeling like I was creating something that I was forced into by players because I've listened to them more than I did listen myself.

Not repeating the same mistake the 2nd time. First of all half of us what we do and create we offer for free. If you're not satisfied with a free product we waste MONTHS of our lifetime on, so you can have something to play you can fuck off. Simple as that.

If you're going to create something, the first thing you have to make sure you have is a proper attitude towards these things.

Listen to feedback, listen to players, do what you can do to improve and offer good content. But don't let their opinions and voices outvote your own. You're the one who's making it, and what's most important is what YOU want it to be.

Simple as that.

Peace bro. <3

Deleted member 1571565

Aug 7, 2019
Personally I am not gonna apologize for what I said, neither in my....one post here, nor for my review. I looked at it objectively, stated what needs improvement and what those improvements would do to impact my low initial evaluation.
I am not gonna defend myself more than that. What I hope is the dev does is take the feedback and what he himself said "start over" and maybe re-approach the project in a new light or perhaps keep giving it a shot. Its hard to keep doing something when you feel like nobody supports you...but that really isn't the case here. This is just a matter of listening to the negative and shutting your ears and eyes to the positive. Jokes about fast abandonment and such are really not necessary. If the dev gave up already, then that can't be helped, but I would like to see him post whether or not he at least intends to keep working/developing games in general, perhaps even revamping this one. The fact people were so quick to see he dropped his patreon just shows that people were even curious about supporting him, or at least looking into what he was about. I'll say it again, this whole situation is just an utter waste.

UIGL

Mar 6, 2018
WTF!!!! why did he abandon this game after the release? Was it because of non-constructive criticism from some people, they know who they are, or was it for some personal reason that we don't know about?

blademaster89

Aug 4, 2017
I have just finished playing the game and I found it interesting, the sentence structuring could be improved and perhaps a little more detail on the Mia plot can be greatly appreciated, I currently can't make out what Mia is to our MC or to his de-facto secretary.

I just wish that the abandoned tag goes off soon and our story teller completes telling his story, which I truly find interesting. Bookmarked it.

libertypics

Jan 23, 2019
I liked parts of it and thought "okay, nice first impression" but all considered, anyone who's such a tortured artist as to abandon this quick, over one comment, was going to bail on it eventually anyway.
Better now than later, before we were even more intrigued by it. (Or donors sunk more money in.)

LoL come on, it's the internet. If it was a flawless cure for coronavirus someone would critique it while being an ass.

Jan 15, 2019
I've felt bad about this for 2 days now and frankly I'm done. Maybe I could have been nicer but I specifically said I would continue to check it out and that I actually liked it and I said LOL (meaning that I thought it was funny bad). Ridiculous 6 is an absolutely horrible movie that I think I've watched about a dozen times (as an example), so anyway the dev hasn't replied any of the nice comments or the not so nice ones so I'm kind of over feeling guilty about this. If it returns I'll download it again, if it doesn't then so be it.

Deleted member 1571565

Aug 7, 2019
I've felt bad about this for 2 days now and frankly I'm done. Maybe I could have been nicer but I specifically said I would continue to check it out and that I actually liked it and I said LOL (meaning that I thought it was funny bad). Ridiculous 6 is an absolutely horrible movie that I think I've watched about a dozen times (as an example), so anyway the dev hasn't replied any of the nice comments or the not so nice ones so I'm kind of over feeling guilty about this. If it returns I'll download it again, if it doesn't then so be it.
I'm not gonna justify or defend what you said, but you really don't have to beat yourself up. Firstly, it doesn't accomplish anything, and it just makes a bad taste even worse. Secondly, look at how many likes the initial post had, it had almost 70 and there was all kinds of encouragement, and yet he up and left it. Someone mentioned it before, but if thats all it took to drop it, how serious he was with the project is questionable, and it was less of what you said as it could have just been anything to spark a reason to drop it. It was a matter of time if you look at his actions.
So...I suppose the take away is, be careful how you joke/what you say to someone about their work (Thats true regardless of this game and anything really), but you really shouldn't be feeling bad or down on yourself. Take it for what it is, a lesson and step forward, that is ultimately far more productive than just disappearing.

TarAlcarin

Mar 21, 2018
If you've felt bad about this at all, that just means your empathetic to the problem that's been raised. Good on you for admitting to that and I agree that there's no point in you continuing to feel bad about this.

In all probability, it is not just this one post that made the dev quit, but rather a series of events outside our purview. I have to paraphrase a saying here: "It's not the fault of the final straw, that the camel is overloaded." That's my way of apologizing for calling you out specifically. It was not meant to put the blame on you. It was just a good starting point for a conversation.

I was unsure whether to put this in a direct message or in this thread, but in the end I felt it would be most prudent to leave it here with the rest of the conversation. I believe I've said my piece now, so I'll leave this thread to be about the game itself again.

3.00 star(s) 3 Votes