VN Ren'Py Ergi [v0.6.18] [KKChar]

4.40 star(s) 7 Votes

Argent Knight

Jun 23, 2021
I would say that this view is reductive. Many sissy games are also at their core dom/sub games (reluctant from the sub part at the beginning then going along with it), as you say; I don't see any trace of sub/dom relationship in Ergi.
The relationship with Anders comes close. :D

I actually believe that the reason of the regalia choice is not to cater to a certain audience nor to indulge in their own fantasies -especially because behind the game there is a pool of writers and not just one- but it's purely narrative, to introduce explicitly the discussion of the role of genders (and its breakdown) in the world of the game and to highlight how the lead character is an outsider (an "Ergi" indeed).
Basically, it fits the overarching themes of the game. In other words, a "ultra-manly attire" for male priests of Freya (who, by the way, I don't think they exist in-world? Freya has a female-only clergy) would not have created the kind of conflict and tension that makes for good narrative.

Also, it will probably not last forever (I also think it'll be just for the chapters 4-6). Your level of feminisation is clearly regulated by the feminine/masculine parameters and that will be the one that will decide how 'sissy' you will be.
I can understand why they did it, but it still rings a little hollow for me.

As I understand it, the creative team is made up entirely of women, so I kind of suspect that while they are making a queer game, I don't think they think of it as a 'gay' game per se. And as much as I respect their collective talent (and I absolutely do!), sometimes the game fails to capture some aspects of male behavior and psychology that I think are universal. Like, at no time in human history have guys been as coy about fucking as they are in this game. We tend to be 'sex first, relationships if the sex is good' creatures and I think Ergi's approach to sex and relationships is uniquely female oriented, in that it is always, 100% the other way around. Which is my only other quibble with the game, it sometimes feels very heteronormative in viewpoint.

But to be clear, these are minor critiques of something I very much enjoy and am happy to support. The game could use a little more gay and a little less grind, but all in all, I am happy with the game and highly recommend it to others.

perles75

May 16, 2020

I can understand why they did it, but it still rings a little hollow for me.

As I understand it, the creative team is made up entirely of women, so I kind of suspect that while they are making a queer game, I don't think they think of it as a 'gay' game per se. And as much as I respect their collective talent (and I absolutely do!), sometimes the game fails to capture some aspects of male behavior and psychology that I think are universal. Like, at no time in human history have guys been as coy about fucking as they are in this game. We tend to be 'sex first, relationships if the sex is good' creatures and I think Ergi's approach to sex and relationships is uniquely female oriented, in that it is always, 100% the other way around. Which is my only other quibble with the game, it sometimes feels very heteronormative in viewpoint.

But to be clear, these are minor critiques of something I very much enjoy and am happy to support. The game could use a little more gay and a little less grind, but all in all, I am happy with the game and highly recommend it to others.
I actually relate to the caution re. the almost all-female creative team and the influence of yaoi stereotypes. I mean, it's not prominent and everything works very well and it's refreshing to have a LGBT+ game that goes beyond the body count, but I do have sometimes the exact feeling of "would a man really behave like that?"

pilgrim2003

Dec 30, 2018
I actually relate to the caution re. the almost all-female creative team and the influence of yaoi stereotypes. I mean, it's not prominent and everything works very well and it's refreshing to have a LGBT+ game that goes beyond the body count, but I do have sometimes the exact feeling of "would a man really behave like that?"
Of course not :) There are so many improbabilities, one should just stop use the rational part of brain when playing Ergi. Much easier then :)

Reactions: Argent Knight

Argent Knight

Jun 23, 2021
Hm I see I though there is lot sex scene for gay scene
I forgot! There is one pic/scene where you can watch two male characters fucking if you follow a certain path. Not the MC, but two of the love interests who have a tangled history together.

perles75

May 16, 2020
Of course not :) There are so many improbabilities, one should just stop use the rational part of brain when playing Ergi. Much easier then :)
to be honest I find the game rather rational, once you enter in the mentality of the setting -much more rational than many visual novels out there... there are so many games where you have to remove any pretence of reality and go with the flow, here it fits with only few licences.
Of course there are moment where I would behave or expect the character to behave differently, but that's individuality of writing.

pilgrim2003

Dec 30, 2018
to be honest I find the game rather rational, once you enter in the mentality of the setting -much more rational than many visual novels out there... there are so many games where you have to remove any pretence of reality and go with the flow, here it fits with only few licences.
Of course there are moment where I would behave or expect the character to behave differently, but that's individuality of writing.
Oh, I know, perles75, there are worse examples out there. On the other hand, these VN don't pretend it is logical and rational :)

Quentin159

Jul 17, 2023
Oh wow really? I thought the relationship with Henrik was like that. Like he is VERY hard to romance, 40 pts basically means you have to woo him from the start and choose him whenever he's available. Then again I haven't even finished the 2nd part of CH3 yet.

4.40 star(s) 7 Votes